Affordable Care Act Effects on this Forum

alexjuice

Is anyone's coverage change (exected to change) with Obamacare law?

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

• Moderator Emeritus

My retiree group medical insurance premium went up over $17 month whereas it had been steady for the past three years.  I spoke with an Orthodox priest yesterday and he said that his group coverage through the church has increased so much that the archdiocese (if that's what it's called in the Orthodox church - I'm not familiar with that church structure) advised him to apply for Obamacare. This man has six children and is expecting another in late December, so he's really in a sweat that the delivery will be late and uncovered.  I understand from a news article on Yahoo! today that public reaction has been lukewarm to the point of embarrassing the Whitehouse. Big surprise.

M personal opinion of any government intervention is that it can only make things worse.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

I am adamantly opposed to 3rd party healthcare so I am not hopeful that any intended consequence will be positive. Like many in this room, Ive been a little too well burned at the healthcare well before.

Personally, I expect to avoid any impact from the law for a long while. I have health coverage through my dad so that will provide crisis coverage which I hopefull will not need. The mold doctor I see doesn't take insurance nor does the parasite doctor or the alternative acupuncturists. I don't know if it's possible but I HOPE to never need a pharmaceutical doc for a long time. I could see myself switching to chiropracticc actually. Find your allies! The chiropractors hate drugs too!

I've made concerted effort to avoid the news. I don't have a TV and am limited in social contact. Today I went onto some mainstream news sites and realized that Obamacare is big newws right now. I prefer my cocoon because the news is extremely fantastical and depressing and not at all even teh news even. More like mind control.

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

I have many concerns about Obamacare and would have preferred single payer. But being uninsured, that is the only game in town as they say. And since I may need nasal surgery to adapt to cpap, it is a good thing it is available to me.

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

I haven't been on the forum for a while because of trying to figure out my health coverage.  I've had two excellent polices and was now told now I could only have one.  After lots and lots and lots of research, phone calls, internet searching and hysterical screeching I now can still have my two polices only not as much coverage as before.  I have an extremely pricey neuro illness and must have decent coverage.

So how can anyone without internet or savvy understand the changes or choices??

Unable at this time to correspond by private message.

Link to my Introduction thread: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2477-aria-my-psych-journey/

Reading my psychiatric records: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/5466-drugged-crazy-reading-my-psychiatric-records/

My Success Story is listed under "Aria's Recovery".

Well, the main reason I have insurance right now is the part of the law that allows young people to stay on their parent's plan, so I'd say I was affected for the best. I guess I'm really lucky that I don't have to navigate any other part of the law right now.

Tapering Zoloft, Dec 2014

Started Lamictal

Re-started Zoloft mid-Oct 2014, 25-50mg

Stopped Zoloft end of Sept 2014

Started Zoloft July 2014, 50mg

Stopped Prozac from 3mg May 2014

Stopped Effexor Dec '13 Started 10mg Prozac

Reinstated Effexor 15mg on Nov 2013

Stopped from 21mg on Oct 2013
Effexor 112.5mg, since Dec 2012

• Administrator

Increases in group insurance costs are not necessarily due to Obamacare, they go up all the time.

I agree with compsports. I'm for single payer myself, but Obamacare is better than it was before.

Years ago, California had a similar set of health insurance plans for small businesses, and I was able to qualify for that. I was extremely grateful the government had intervened to set standard coverage and provide the Web site to compare plans and enroll, or I would have had to fend for myself in the individual plan market.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I'm in Massachusetts and several years ago we had "Romneycare" implemented. It was sloppy and difficult in the beginning but over time the kinks got worked out. For me, the coverage has been incredibly useful. I've been able to have my medical needs met, for the most part, at little cost to me. My income is limited so I was able to qualify for medicaid. 

Current:

Lorazapam2mg: 4/9/152mg - 1.5mg: already sick/nothing noticed. No changes in sleep noted after illness.  

Lamictal: 7/27/13 - 8/6/13: 400mg - 500mg(dr order) mouth sores, headache, cognitive/balance, heart palp...8/7/13 - 8/23/13: 500mg - 400mg; symptoms↓...10/10/13: 350mg; fever/flu-like <2-weeks...12/30/13: 325mg; fever/flu-like symptoms <1-week...2/10/17: 300mg; no significant changes noted. 

Discontinued:

Omeprazole: 09/2103 40mg...5/1/14: 20mg... 8/21/14 = 0

Wellbutrin: 11/22/13: 300mg – 225mg...12/6/13 delayed reaction- mood swings, weight↓, heart palp/chest pain, alerting...12/14/13: 187mg; physical symptoms↓, neuro emotions ↑, weight stable...12/20/13: 225mg; physical symptoms return, emotions stable <1-week, weight↓...4/21/14: 187mg; weight↑...5/17/14 (neurologist ordered discontinue asap):168mg; headache, mood swings, ↑weight, sleep flux...5/24/14: 150mg; headache, mood swings, ↓cognitive/balance...6/2/14: 112mg; see above, weight stable, <3-weeks... 6/28/14: 100mg; moody...7/25/14: 87.5mg; family troubles... 8/4/14: 75mg; headaches; moody... 8/9/1450mg headaches... 8/12/14: 37.5mg; 8/17/14: 25mg...8/26/14 = 0

Hydroxyzine; 10mg: 5/20/15 *prn 4/5 times then dc'd. Mood changes/rage 

Buspirone: 7.5mg: 5/20/15 *prn 4/5 times then dc'd. No changes.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy