SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

JanCarol

• Moderator Emeritus

So Yes, hubby's surgery knocked me about, but not nearly as much as it did him.  He is from the "don't complain" school of Aussie-ness.  So when he complains, it's serious.  

First off, while I was asleep, he did his back.  An old L4 L5 compression, it flares up under stress, and it did.  So I woke up immediately to help him move, put magnesium on it (yes, even he swears by the stuff! - though the docs & nurses looked at him funny when he said "put magnesium on it." ) then gave him paracetemol - the only thing he could take before his surgery, and ice.  Then after his shower before he got dressed, slapped a Chinese patch on it.  This was enough to get him through the surgery, but there was no going back to bed, and no nap in the car on the way - because I had to drive.

I hate driving in this City, I never know where I am.  It's a series of goat tracks threaded together.  Sometimes the goat tracks are 4 lanes or even 6 lanes wide, and sometimes they go onto "freeways" that are less than 10 miles long, all of them (bypass kind of things, not actual "good roads.").  And people here drive like country folk.  Very little politeness, lots of "me, me, me" driving.  Lots of unawareness of what is around them, or where to do what.  Thank the gods for Kate, our GPS navigator.  (turns out that hubby's night nurse was a Kate, too, to "naviagate him through the night")  I have learned to trust her implicitly, and when I have to veer from the beaten path, she adapts quickly.

But driving is stressful, I try never to go much further than a 1/2 hour from the house.  The hospital is an hour away in good traffic (which there never is).

And waiting was even more stressful.  As I sent him off to the theatre, I forgot to tell him I love him.  What if he had a stroke on the table and I hadn't told him how much I love him?  What if the storm came and knocked out the hospital power with the robot inside of him? What if the anaesthetic caused deeper cognitive loss than he has had from the stroke?  Calithebold told me I was catastrophizing, and she was right.

The wait was long, about 6.5 hours.  For the first part, I walked a circle around the hospital for my "sun walk" and found a bike path to a park and a bus station - through another parkland and by an abandoned quartzite quarry.  I saw a giant water dragon

3386551621_71391441f3.jpg

I startled him, and only saw his form as he lept 2' off of a branch and scampered away.  He had a full, long tail, and was over a metre long.  I love these animals, we have them in our yard, but it's been awhile since we've had any large ones.  So that cheered me up and distracted me, as well as a flurry of text messages with Cali.

The long walk got me hot and the storm was gathering, so I headed to the car.  I love my car, it's so welcoming (even when I dont' play music) and it will charge my kindle and takes good care of me.  I found that I had overdone it a bit on the walk, my feet were peeling (and filthy) and my knee and leg were hurting, so I took something for pain, and then scrubbed and lotioned my feet.  This was relaxing enough that by 3 pm I was able to snooze - slept in the car for 2.5 hours!

Was awakened by the call from the Doc who apologized for how long it had been, but that hubby had a GREAT DEAL of pain (more than he's ever had before) and they wanted to get that under control before they released him to the ward.

For lunch I had a bagel and cream cheese (evil, and I'm paying for it today), and I then went to have dinner.  The gluten free fritata was gone, so I had a toasty ham and cheese on GF bread, but - it tasted like cardboard.  Today I will take a sandwich of my own and an apple and some gluten free sweets for hubby to share.

Hubby was snoozy when I got there, but had trouble getting comfortable.  He had a folded blanket under his lower back (this seems counter intuitive to me, I would put a pillow under his knees but he can't stand that) and it was all tangled.  He would snooze, and then find something uncomfortable, which we would fix, and then he'd snooze again until he found something else he needed or needed doing.  By 10 pm, his morphine was starting to wear off, so I stayed around to make sure the nurse gave him the good stuff (she was going to try him on paracetemol/aceteminophen only until I protested, she read the chart, and gave him the real deal so he could sleep).  Then, as that kicked in and he fell asleep, I made my way home.  

I ate poorly yesterday and am paying for it.  It will take an enema and maybe more to get me out of the house today.  At least there's a toilet in the room!  And I slept beautifully last night - 2 am to 11:30 am.  That was sweet.

Now to make this trip every day until he comes home, and on the day he comes home I will have to get up early to go get him.  I'm sure glad I held my taper!

PS saw my psychiatrist, and she is going along with what I'm doing, and may even go to the orthomolecular conference next March that my ortho-doc invited her too!  She says that all the natural practitioners are coming up with "pyroluria" and she wants to know more about it.  She's also skeptical of it, as she has yet to meet someone who DOESN'T have it!   ;)  but I'm glad she's at least considering going.  Oh yes!  I handed her a page about Transpersonal Psychology, and she told me stories of when she met Stanislav Grof back when she was a young undergrad and went to an encounter / conference with him!

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• Moderator Emeritus

Also got a new medicine bowl, to hold my vitamins and supplements....yellow jade for kidneys and energy.   ;)

$_103.JPG?set_id=880000500F

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

• Moderator Emeritus

Not about me:  hubby still having pain and discomfort.  His tummy (operation site) is more comfortable when he lies down on his back - but his back is more comfortable when he stands up!  There's a good deal of bloating, gas, and inflammation around the operation site - which means that he doesn't want to take in any food.  He ate 2 bites of soup and one of burgundy beef.  I managed to feed him almost a whole tiny tub of ice cream, and he ate one gluten free lolly and had some apple juice.  I told him it's a he11uva way to lose weight!  So between the bloated tummy and the tummy pain and back pain - he is still on the morphine, and not his usual cheery chipper self.

I am better today, but hungover from the tablets I took for pain.  I don't know how to get around that, though.  The OTC codeine in Australia is tiny, tiny doses, somewhere between an American Tylenol w/codeine #1 or #2.  But after chronic use (raises hand) you can have rebound pain.  Today it's a headache.  I'm down to just gas from the tummy upset, which feels much better.  NOTE TO SELF:  remember WHY you don't eat wheat and dairy? ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

So off to do my sun-walk, and even though it's too hot to take a bath, I'm going to take a magnesium bath to get this headache under control, and soothe my poor, stressed body.  At least I slept like a baby last night, and had important dreams of loved ones.

Wishing you both a smooth recovery!

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

Hi Jan Carol

Ive just begun a taper of Lithium, that I take to 'augment' the effects of two ADs. (overkill, I know) and I notice that you are now tapering Lithium. Im going down from 600mg (Priadel) and have reduced to 500 as theres a problem about doses, but think I should be able to get some liquid to remedy that.

Its very early days, but I have noticed in my first week a quite sudden upturn in mood and cognitive abilities. This is a little unnerving as I know that people can go 'manic' coming down on this one.

What difference (if any) do you find as you go down?

Ive never been diagnosed as bi-polar, but remember a psych telling me 7 years ago when I first went on it that people like me, with MDD can eventually turn bi-polar. (nicely encouraging I thought-probably an attempt to get me to take my medicine!)

Im probably being a little paranoid but would be interested to know if you have any views. There don't seem to be many on the forum who take Lithium, but over here (UK) its quite common. In fact Alto told me that she has never heard of Lithium being used as an augmenter. I think I got onto it by bad chance really, as at the time the 2 ADs appeared to be doing nothing for me. Ive since discovered( by getting access to my medical records) that I was almost certainly going through WD off a previous drug-Venlafaxine- that had pooped out. So that was probably causing the intense distress at the time. It was off one drug and on to the next with hardly a break.

Anyway, I digress!

A 'sun walk' sounds great; the UK winter has put paid to that for the time being. Think ill get a sun lamp to use in the dark months ahead!

Simon

. Been on some kind of meds since 1982,mainly on and off things like imipramine.,2000 on75mg venlafaxine til it bottomed out, then 150, also no good. about 7 years. Almost ct from it and put on cocktail of  Cit, Mirt and Lithium. Remained there for 7 years.

Tapered Citalopram in June2014 and was off in 6 weeks. Mood slumped about 6 weeks later. Found this site sept 5th and got some idea why this happens.18th Sept stopped lorezepam and due to misunderstanding with GP was without it for 36 hours which caused a crisis.

from 19thsept 18mg diazepam to replace lorezepam(possible addiction) 24th sept 12 mg diaz per day. 29th sept 10mg diaz per day and tapering at 1-2mg per week. At 5mg will slow down taper. At same time increase of mirtazapine to 45mg per day.

Taking fish oil and magnesium as suggested on this site.

Also have menieres syndrome, a cause of vertigo, vomiting and partial loss of hearing, also very occasional drop attacks.

As of 8th October on; Mirtazapine 45mg, Citalopram 20mg Lithium 500mg Diazepam 6mg (tapering by 2mg per week) Fish oil and magnesium

As of 25th October Mirt 45mg, Citalopram20mg Lithium 700mg Diazepam12mg

As of 12th November Mirt 37.5 Cit.20mg Lithium 700mg Diazepam 8mg (to taper after 14 days by 10%)

As of 17th November Mirt 35mg Cit 18mg Lithium 600mg Diazepam 8mg (to taper after 14 days by 10%)

As of 25th November MIrt 35mg Cit 18mg Lithium 600mg Diazepam 7mg

As of 1st December MIrt 35 Cit 18mg Lithium 600mg         Diazepam 6mg  (been stable for the last 2 weeks)

GP intervention 19 December now on 150 Ven, 37.5 Mirt, 600 Lithium  Diazepam 7mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Simon, I'll have a look at your thread.  MeiMeiQuest here is on a similar lithium journey (there aren't many of us at the moment).  I'm wondering why you are tapering the lithium when you have mirtazapine and citalopram in your system?  Unless you are having side effects from the lithium (like my own, kidney troubles)?  Because the lithium will protect your tapers.  And as you pull off of it, the mirtazapine and citalopram might "peek through."  This might be the "elevated mood" you are experiencing.   Or maybe it's just that the lithium sat on your brain like a cloud of wet cotton wool, and as it lifts away you get more access to your brain (this can be a good thing, as long as it doesn't get out of hand).

There are things you can do to prevent "manic," like magnesium, fish oil, niacin, GABA or inositol.  Exercise and managing your light / dark cycles is important, too.  And if you can, meditation - being present with your feelings as much as you can.  Radically, if you get the lithium low enough, but feel like you still need it, you can stay on low-dose lithium carbonate (not very efficient) or switch to low-dose lithium orotate - over the counter, it has better uptake so you can get benefits on much smaller doses.  SAME RISKS as lithium carbonate, and it would help to be managed by a doctor so that you can get levels checked and watch for kidney side effects, etc.

Thanks for stopping by, it's always good to share the journey, together we can make the load lighter, if only by talking together.  And thank you MeiMei for your well wishes!  He is home now.

And that's why I came here.  This is gonna be harder.  He's used to the hospital bed, nurses at the touch of a button.  He had horrible post-op (possibly codeine induced, since they use codeine for everything here) hiccups - like he had from the steroid shot.  I had to knock him down with chlorpromazine, like the last time he had them (after getting permission from the nurse).  How am I going to sleep in that bed with his CPAP snorkeling and snoring and - it just doesn't look like a restful place.  We have a spare bedroom, but it would take a full day's work to get it ready - and - in this heat it would do no good, that room has no A/C.

It's got to get better, it's got to get better.  On the plus side, I got in a great yoga class (new teacher) and an acupuncture session today.  I even got hubby onto the table & she tried to stop his hiccups with acupuncture (to no avail).

He's mad at me for knocking him out.  He keeps saying, "Don't you EVER do that to me again!"  But the hiccups were so bad he was causing problems with his 5 suture sites!  What else could I do?  Use a zillion home remedies and maybe get temporary results?  Or just do what works?  When the acupuncturist failed, and I got doc's permission - I told him to take 100 mg chlorpromazine.  It's the same amount they gave him in a shot last time.  He's mad at me, and I was only helping him and me.  Like it's hurting him to be asleep?  Not nearly as much as those hiccups were hurting him.  

Sigh.  As long as those hiccups don't come back, we should be fine.  I'm kind of at the end of my tether from having my sleep knocked around for 5 days, very little good food - I tried to eat healthy but it's really hard when you're not in your own home.  I packed lunches on 2 of the days, but found I was still famished.  And now I have to heal.  Like I said, I got acupuncture and yoga today - I have to take care of myself in order to take care of him!

• Moderator Emeritus

I will say this, though - when I see how badly a "small" dose of Largactil/chlorpromazine knocks him about - he loses his tongue, he can't work his brain - I can see that it really is a chemical straitjacket.  And I have deep sympathy for people who are told if they don't take this, "The Voices WIll get you." (or the Spiders, or whatever the troublesome manifestation is.)  And even deeper sympathy for those who are injected this to "calm down," or had this forced upon them.

He trusted me, and I knew it was only a few doses, not a lifetime of doses.  And he feels betrayed - but I am relieved that it worked.  So it's easy to see why it is done to people when they are upset, not conforming, behaving unacceptably - and also easy to see why NOBODY WANTS THIS STUFF.

Thanks  for replying to my post. Very useful information. (ive been in touch with Meimei too and he got back a couple of times with equally useful tips)

The main reason for tapering the Lithium first was that I happened to see my Psych recently and he suggested that; as the more recent of the drugs I take)

Im quite easy about it really and if things go pear-shaped i'll switch to one of the others, although I know that this is not the best method of tapering.

Also, ive always assumed that lithium is potentially the most problematic, physically.

I do meditation (mindfulness) and get a lot of benefit from it, also Tai-chi and massage. Exercise is one of my strengths, as I love the outdoors, so I cycle and walk a lot. Unfortunately I have Menieres, which means I can no longer do the more 'extreme' things I did as balance is affected and I have the occasional 'drop attack'

I take the recommended supplements mentioned on this site too.

Glad you mentioned about the dark/light cycles too. as I really must get hold of a sun lamp (for SAD). Light levels over here are very low at present.

Best wishes to your husband too. Looks like you have your work cut out.

Many thanks

Simon

. Been on some kind of meds since 1982,mainly on and off things like imipramine.,2000 on75mg venlafaxine til it bottomed out, then 150, also no good. about 7 years. Almost ct from it and put on cocktail of  Cit, Mirt and Lithium. Remained there for 7 years.

Tapered Citalopram in June2014 and was off in 6 weeks. Mood slumped about 6 weeks later. Found this site sept 5th and got some idea why this happens.18th Sept stopped lorezepam and due to misunderstanding with GP was without it for 36 hours which caused a crisis.

from 19thsept 18mg diazepam to replace lorezepam(possible addiction) 24th sept 12 mg diaz per day. 29th sept 10mg diaz per day and tapering at 1-2mg per week. At 5mg will slow down taper. At same time increase of mirtazapine to 45mg per day.

Also have menieres syndrome, a cause of vertigo, vomiting and partial loss of hearing, also very occasional drop attacks.

As of 8th October on; Mirtazapine 45mg, Citalopram 20mg Lithium 500mg Diazepam 6mg (tapering by 2mg per week) Fish oil and magnesium

As of 12th November Mirt 37.5 Cit.20mg Lithium 700mg Diazepam 8mg (to taper after 14 days by 10%)

As of 17th November Mirt 35mg Cit 18mg Lithium 600mg Diazepam 8mg (to taper after 14 days by 10%)

As of 1st December MIrt 35 Cit 18mg Lithium 600mg         Diazepam 6mg  (been stable for the last 2 weeks)

GP intervention 19 December now on 150 Ven, 37.5 Mirt, 600 Lithium  Diazepam 7mg

Hi Jan

I'm really sorry you have had such a rough time. I wish I could have helped yesterday, but with carrying that heavy camera bag for about three days on and off, I really hurt my shoulders and collarbones and they were aching like nothing on earth. I was laying flat on my back and nothing would touch the pain. I have since learned not to carry my whole kit with me everywhere I go. I hope Doug is a little better and that you are okay. I have Dr K today at 2pm, right when I could call you but if you like I could call you on my way back as I'm walking to Roma St and you could can vent if you like. Or if you want to chat, you could text me when you wake up and I will try and call you then before I go to Dr K. I wish I could help more. Thinking of you :wub:

All medications::

Xanax (1995-96), Aropax (1995-96), Mellaril (1997-2000), Efexor (1997-2002), Seroquel (2000-now), Lithium Carbonate (2000-now), Avanza (2002-05), Epilim (2005), Seroquel-XR (2000-now), Zyprexa (2002-14), Raberprazole (2000-now prn), Crestor (2009-15), Gabapentin (2009-12), Lamictal (2010-now), Abilify (2011-now) Lyrica (2012-now), Diazepam (2010-now prn), Saphris (2014), Respiridone (2014), Chlorpromazine (2014) Neulatil (07/2016)

Current medications:

Lithium Carbonate 750mg; Seroquel-XR 600mg800mg 04/16, 600mg 04/16, 400mg 04/16, 200mg 04/16, 400mg 04/16, 500mg 04/16; Lamictal 250mg 200mg150mg 04/16; Lyrica 300mg; Abilify 20mg 30mg 11/15 Zoloft 25mg 04/16 ceased after a week due to severe suicidal thoughts; Seroquel 25mg prn; Diazepam 40mg CT Jan 2013, 5mg occasionally, (massive med changes in April 2016 due to a hospital admission).

SupplementsFish oil 4000mgMagnesium 100mg Niacinamide 1000mgSlippery Elm 800mg , B12 1000mcg, Zinc 50mg, B6 100mg, Vitamin D 2000IU, Calcium 1200mgP5P 100mg, Vitamin C 2000mg, Vitamin E 400IU

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Simon, there's a very real chance that your Menieres is caused iatrogenically from all the AD's you've been on!  I envy you your Tai Chi classes!  I did it for 5 years, and it was the most stabilising thing for pain and mood.  I haven't found any yet in Australia (though I've heard rumours that I may check out after the holiday silly season!)  LIFO (Last In First Out) is a great way to compensate for market fluctuations in inventory costing, but maybe not the best plan for psych meds.  Leave the lithium for last, unless it is directly paining you.  If you've gotten a lift in mood from just 100 mg lift, then maybe that's enough to hold you through some more antidepressant tapers?  

Your Doc telling you that MDD can turn into bipolar just means s/he doesn't understand how antidepressants kindle side effects which are mistaken for bipolar!  I may be a "kindled bipolar," myself.  Or maybe it's genetic.  But I know I'm the only one in my family who ever accepted the idea of "lifetime medication."  And now I reject that model.

There are other more experts here, but those of us on the lithium - which - is admittedly few - MeiMeiQuest is in the USA, it's reallyrare there - but Cali and I are in Australia, and it's the "first line of defence" when you say the word "bipolar." - anyhow, those of us on the lithium leave it for last.  There are benefits to lithium, such as neuroprotection (against alzheimers, cognitive loss, and spikes in mood), that are difficult to overlook.  It's best left for last.  And my experience is, if you taper slowly - no more than 10% per month on average (sometimes I go a little more, sometimes a little less), then my mood is stable.

Thank you Cali, it's better today.  He's not mad at me after all, he knows we had to do it.  But golly he was flaming mad while under the influence!  Sorry I didn't call or txt you I'm dropping the ball in a few arenas right now.  I was supposed to get fasting blood tests done today but didn't.  Now it will have to wait until Thurs....and then there's USA Christmas stuff to get in the Post . . .  call anytime.

Interesting that you should mention menieres and ADs. The same had been in my mind lately but I hadn't researched it.

But heres the rub. I just did a brief internet search and the very first article I came up with was.......that Sertraline has been used to treat menieres!

And it wasn't the anxiety caused by the disease, but the disease itself.

So there seems to be no limit to the scope of these wonder drugs!

Anyway ill continue to look into it because, in my case ive been on far too high a dose of ADs for the last 7 years and nothing would surprise me of the effects on other parts of my system.

Thanks too for the advice about keeping Lithim taper til later. Seems reasonable.

Simon

I think you're allowed to drop your ball right now, so as you would say ;)  just allow the ball to be dropped. You can pick it up later but right now you can then focus on you and hubby. That's all the that matters right now. Everything else, except the basics, are really unimportant. I think you are doing a better job than I could do if it was D that was unwell. You are so strong for so many people, maybe you can just let them do what they need to do at the moment. I will give you a call later and see how you are going and we can chat about anything you want. If you can't take the call, that's fine, I won't be upset. Be gentle with yourself :)

Xanax (1995-96), Aropax (1995-96), Mellaril (1997-2000), Efexor (1997-2002), Seroquel (2000-now), Lithium Carbonate (2000-now), Avanza (2002-05), Epilim (2005), Seroquel-XR (2000-now), Zyprexa (2002-14), Raberprazole (2000-now prn), Crestor (2009-15), Gabapentin (2009-12), Lamictal (2010-now), Abilify (2011-now) Lyrica (2012-now), Diazepam (2010-now prn), Saphris (2014), Respiridone (2014), Chlorpromazine (2014) Neulatil (07/2016)

Current medications:

Lithium Carbonate 750mg; Seroquel-XR 600mg800mg 04/16, 600mg 04/16, 400mg 04/16, 200mg 04/16, 400mg 04/16, 500mg 04/16; Lamictal 250mg 200mg150mg 04/16; Lyrica 300mg; Abilify 20mg 30mg 11/15 Zoloft 25mg 04/16 ceased after a week due to severe suicidal thoughts; Seroquel 25mg prn; Diazepam 40mg CT Jan 2013, 5mg occasionally, (massive med changes in April 2016 due to a hospital admission).

SupplementsFish oil 4000mgMagnesium 100mg Niacinamide 1000mgSlippery Elm 800mg , B12 1000mcg, Zinc 50mg, B6 100mg, Vitamin D 2000IU, Calcium 1200mgP5P 100mg, Vitamin C 2000mg, Vitamin E 400IU

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks so much Cali, I will be gentle on me not because I am kind, but because I have to - I'm really on the floor today!

Simon, they give SSRI's for any sort of pain or discomfort, as well as SNRI's and tricyclics.  It supposedly stops the patient from caring or complaining about their discomfort (on one site I went to they recommend valium/diazepam for anti-vertigo!)

After his stroke, my husband developed nasty vertigo.  No more rollercoasters for us!  They gave him Sirc, a betahistine thingy:  http://chealth.canoe.ca/drug_info_details.asp?brand_name_id=1333

I feel flu-ey today and I haven't even done a taper.  I think the stress of the past week has "crashed" me and I'm having sinus, and extremely low energy.  And I've been feeling selfish again.  It's a word I used on my profile, and I think it applies.

When I go in to go to bed and hubby is on his back snorkeling and snoring with the room set at 27 degrees celsius (that's 80 degrees to you yanks) and I need so much just to get to sleep.  I need quiet, I need cool, I need pillows between my knees and on my chest and under my head, I need a blindfold, I need a dental splint for bruxism.  And my needs are not getting met in this room.  so now I add an MP3 player to tune out the snorkeling and snoring of the CPAP machine.  He's supposed to take another study to get it adjusted, but that won't be until he's better.

Whilst driving out yesterday, I realized that this man had CANCER, and may still have it.  There's a very real chance that I will only have him for another 5 years.  Or 10.  Forever is not forever, when it comes to life.  So I'm "selfish," and not really scolding myself.  I do need to take care of my needs, but I also need to make sure I appreciate all the time I have with him, and not take my frustrations out on him.  After all he needs that darned machine to sleep, and it's obvious he needs it when I hear him apnoea without it, and hear him snore WITH it.

Jan,

Sorry to hear your having a hard time sleeping with your husbands apnea machine. I too have isues with my husbands. I find my self sleeping in a Spare room.

Sorry to hear of your husband's cancer too.

praying for both you

April 2014 remeron 45mg.

June 2014 abilify 2.5 remeron wasn't working so abilify was then added

September 2014 woke up with anxiety x 100!!!!

Pdoc then took me from 45 to 7.5 within a month and took abilify from 2.5 to 0

Currently

Remeron 7.5

Vitamin d 5,000 iu taking for about 3 years

October 2014 added fish oil/omega 3 1000 mg per day

Levothyroxitine 100 10 years or so

Dec 2014 started tapering 10% every 10 days-no problems.

August 2015 down to 0.1 mg

Woke up with severe anxiety-sleep issues-racing thoughts-depression. 9/9/15 up dose 1 mg.

Sorry to hear about your loss!

Your in my prayers!

April 2014 remeron 45mg.

June 2014 abilify 2.5 remeron wasn't working so abilify was then added

September 2014 woke up with anxiety x 100!!!!

Pdoc then took me from 45 to 7.5 within a month and took abilify from 2.5 to 0

Currently

Remeron 7.5

Vitamin d 5,000 iu taking for about 3 years

October 2014 added fish oil/omega 3 1000 mg per day

Levothyroxitine 100 10 years or so

Dec 2014 started tapering 10% every 10 days-no problems.

August 2015 down to 0.1 mg

Woke up with severe anxiety-sleep issues-racing thoughts-depression. 9/9/15 up dose 1 mg.

Hey Jan, Hope you and hubby are having an okay day, it's been so humid ugh! Even I am complaining. Now I'm glad it's raining in the hope it would cool things down and it has a bit for me. I hope you are cooler too. Thinking if you :)

Current medications:

• Moderator Emeritus

Tgirl, I haven't lost him.  But I was just saying that I was being selfish:  here I am thinking about myself when I *could* lose him!  But thank you for your kind concerns!

Spare room is full of junk - a hard days' work I don't have it in me to spend 3 days cleaning it and finding places for stuff - only to try and sleep in a room with no aircon or heat (summer or winter - though winter is easier downunder, I can just put a million quilts on the bed, wear socks and flannels and hunker down.  But right now is summer, and it's a lousy place to sleep in summer.  So I just put on the MP3 player to drown out his noisy stuff.  I think he needs an adjustment too - he snores worse ON the machine than off it.

While I was relieved for my sleep when he quit using it, I also worried that he would have another stroke unless he did it again.  I tried to emphasize that it was scary - scarier than going off statins (which he will not do) - for him to have apnoeas.  Sometimes I would lay awake at night listening to him breathe - then not breathe - then breathe again, wondering if I would wake up next to a vegetable!  (see what I mean about selfish?  how can I think of me in the middle of that?)

I've decided, in light of the convalescing hubby, that my next taper of 50 mg (10%) will be in 2 steps.  From 500 to 475 to 450, over a period of weeks.  Micro taper it this time. 

When I weighed up whether to take the first 5% (I'm filling evening supplement / med trays tonight), I ALMOST took the first 5% taper.  Then decided I've been crabby and selfish and maybe I should wait.

After all, one cannot go too slowly or carefully, right?  :P   So maybe next time I'll consider the next 5% cut.

Thanks for the kind thoughts. :)

• Moderator Emeritus

Still holding.  My psychologist thinks I'm brighter, better, stronger, and by gosh people like me!  (thanks Al Franken).  But I'm still not ready to taper yet.  Maybe in a couple of weeks time.

We can hold together :)

Current medications:

• Moderator Emeritus

Okay, the worst of the silly season is over.  Hubby is almost - though not quite - better.  I've decided to take my first micro taper, from 500 mg to 475 mg, a 5% drop, starting tomorrow.

I'll reevaluate in a few weeks as to whether I can do another micro taper then.  But if hubby drives me crazy, I may just hold until he goes back to work at the end of January.  Or later.  It all depends on whether I notice a difference, or feel any withdrawal or not.

Slow and steady wins the race!

• Moderator Emeritus

Having hubby in convalescing state is like giving me a taste of my own medicine.  It's very similar to withdrawal:  he's a bit grumpy, VERY sensitive to light, sound busy-ness, activity.  He tires easily, and needs a certain amount of cushioning between himself and "the real world" right now.

Thankfully, I get this, even though it's for different reasons, I'm able to reach outside my selfish self and see his needs too - because they so closely reflect my own.

I remember hating to go to City - this was in the 90's, and the city was Indianapolis - not a huge city, but still not a "town," either.  I remember hearing the halide street lamps and the hum of high tension wires.  I found it very uncomfortable.  The Yogi just told me to imagine they were a drone, and dance my tune over them - but that didn't work so well for me.

Depression? Withdrawal? Recuperation?  It's all much the same, just different flavors of the same tender needs.

• Moderator Emeritus

I hate taking showers.  Not only is it a shocking way to get clean (and I do like being clean), but I hate measuring how much my hair is falling out.  How thin and invisible the strands are as I find them all over my naked body (no wonder I have mysterious itches, it's probably these invisible hairs), and pull them out of my scalp and off my shoulders as I shampoo and condition.  It looks like fewer hairs than it used to - but that's because over half of them are colorless, horribly thin, clear.

I was put on the reboxetine in 2012 because I was suicidal.  But nobody asked me why I was suicidal.  I was suicidal because (I still had long hair then) my hair was falling out and I felt helpless to stop it.

So far, the new thyroid regime, while I feel much better, is not stopping this pain.

In yoga tonight, it was a catch in my throat, and I remind myself that I am withdrawing.  And to be gentle.  Even when my hands and arms are weak, and my yoga is wobbly - I still go.  In fact, because of the holidays - only one class a week - I can feel a difference.  I need at least 2 classes a week to survive, and at least one of them needs to be intense.  I will probably start karate back up in January.  Or I may try Tai Chi, but that starts a week later, and is a 2 hour class!

I'm sorry about how you are feeling at the moment. Losing hair would be awful. D has long hair right, it goes down halfway down his back almost and he gets me to tie it up for me but sometimes not every day. So I go to pull the hair tie out and you should see how much hair comes out, it freaks him out too and he's not on anything. What I am badly trying to say is that at least when these things happen to us, there is a reason for them and knowing that we are slowly reducing, is knowing that one day hopefully, this will start to reverse itself. In saying that you have lovely hair Jan. It's not noticeable at all if that makes you feel any better. I would never know by looking at you that this was the case  :wub: 

Current medications:

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Cali - that was why it was so hard to get medical attention for it (you look fine!).  It used to take 2 wraps of a twistie to tie it up, now it takes 4.  And I didn't show you my "horns!"

I wrote this in a private letter, I felt it was worth posting here:

re:  sleep (not been going well lately):

When I first accepted the diagnosis of "bipolar," I told myself I would sleep when I was tired, and wake when I was ready.  It was like the third rule.  (first one was "always take meds as prescribed."  LOL)  This stabilized my mood substantially, but it decreased my functioning as my sleep got delayed.  This functioning became even worse when I moved to Australia, and people are so darned normal here!  If I am in bed at 10 am (much less 1:30 in the afternoon like yesterday), people think I'm "sick," or something's "wrong."  Like it couldn't just be "when I sleep."  The US was far more tolerant of my sleep schedule.

Doc says to always get up at the same time, "sleep hygiene" says the same.  But it feels like risking my mood to "not get enough sleep."

So, as you reminded me - withdrawal is withdrawal.  I'll think about it when I'm drug free!  Or at least done with tapering (even if I stay on a small amount of lithium).

• Moderator Emeritus

Ugh.  Eyes ache, maybe that's a sore throat.  Gut messed up, can't sleep.  

How do you distinguish between "flu like withdrawal side effects" and "whups, I've got an infection?"

• Moderator Emeritus

I've got an infection, a UTI.  It started with eyes aching (dehydration?) and flowing sinuses.

It could still be a withdrawal symptom, or rather, an infection caused when my "chips were down" so to speak.  I have been looking more at hubby's well being than my own, so it follows that I got run down a bit.  Yesterday I drew a "Four Agreements" card, which was:  TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF.

Ok, ok, I get it.

Off to do more medical stuff today - but today is also acupuncture and yoga.  

Tomorrow karate starts up - I don't think so, for me.  Not yet.  My hand is in a splint from a karate accident in November, Doc is thinking a tendon is stretched or torn.  I can go to karate with my hand like this and just not do grappling - but - add the UTI in to the picture and I don't think so.

My scheduled review for next taper is next week.  I'm thinking not that, either.  Holding at 475.  I've come a long way, and I need to recognize that.

Like I've read in here so many times, the price is too high when you try and go fast.  Slow doesn't hurt anything.  Or doesn't hurt as much as it could!

Take it easy, my wife comes across a lot of UTIs and says they can be very nasty and cause confusion. I dare say you know all that, but I guess its well to know that it can temporarily hit the mind (relevant in the context of this site!)

Simon

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Simon!  I didn't really think of UTI as a brain bender - but I suppose any infection can be!  It's interesting that "cause confusion" is part of the deal.  I can't exactly call my state "confusion" but irritability certainly comes into it!

When I was on the acupuncturist's table yesterday,  I a nice long (quiet) chant to kick in the ol' vagus nerve.  I'm so thankful for my acupuncturist.  I even survived a yoga class last night.  Nice 'n' easy.  But the final answer on karate tonight is 'no!"

• Moderator Emeritus

OMG Simon your wife was right!  I am so grumpy cog fog it's not funny!

Def not gonna taper for another month I think, even a micro taper.  I'm crabby and tired and can't sleep (thank you gut and UTI - combined!) and while this may have NOTHING to do with withdrawal, I'm not taking any chances.

I have a massage later this week, a session with a calming friend tomorrow, and a restorative chakra tibetan bowl sound healing yoga seminar on Saturday.  At 10 am!  I wonder how that will go!  I haven't seen 10 am on my own for many weeks now.  But at least I can just fall asleep once I get there!

• Moderator Emeritus

One night this week I didn't wear my amber glasses at the computer.

When I lay down in bed, my brain was bright.  Like there was an internal source of light in my brain and it was sparking and lit up - not like a christmas tree, more like bathing in a spotlight.  Not the best sensation when battling insomnia!  

A good reminder that these amber lenses - while they make it harder to SEE, do serve a good purpose.

• Moderator Emeritus

Ugh.  Sick.  UTI and bronchitis.  OUT of it.  REALLY REALLY glad I didn't taper again, not even a micro taper.

Right now I'm dealing with an issue with my hand.  Sprainied, with "post traumatic tenosynovitis" and doc wants me to take an oral course (3-5 days) of prednisone (steroid).  As someone who's been diagnosed bipolar, this gives me the heebie jeebies.  But the hand isn't getting any better, so I've called pdoc to ask her permission before I put a new drug in my mouth.

Of course, this being Australia, she is on Annual Leave (all pdocs take Dec 15 - Jan 20 (approx) off, unreachable, unavailable.  But I'm trying to get a message through.  She may be in India (that's where she went last year) or some far flung place.  I *think* it would be safe to do a short course of antibiotics, even on half dose of lithium - but - I want PERMISSION to do so, so that I'm not known as an impulsive "mental case."

• Moderator Emeritus

She texted me the next day, even though she's on holiday. I'm on day 2 of prednisone.  I don't feel weird, other than the bronchitis.  The UTI is better, and the new antibiotic Doc gave me for the UTI has knocked out 90% of the bronchitis, too.

I'm still tired, a bit agoraphobic, don't want to go out or commit to anything - afraid that a trip to the shops will mean an exhaustive collapse - for me - and for hubby.

I feel that my immune system - in spite of all the supplements, vitamins and minerals I take - is on a razor edge, and it only takes a little stress (like 2 Cokes in one day) to tip me over that edge.  I will mention this to Dr. Robyn when I see her next.  I still feel adrenal fatigue, too.  I'm beginning to wonder if maybe I've had pyroluria since I was a teenager, and adrenal fatigue since my life with the ex (who later killed himself).  That could be 20-30 years of adrenal fatigue (plus the weight that psych meds add to that system), and I want it to go away in just 6 months?  The supplements are expensive!  Will I be taking them for 10 years?  More to ask Dr. Robyn.

Now to deal with my thyroid capsules running out.  I wasn't supposed to see Dr. Robyn until February, but I only have 3 weeks thyroid.  The compounding chemist takes 3-5 days to get it to me. So I will have to see her sooner.  And have to ask her if she wants to take my bladder and blood tests prior to that visit.  Or maybe (if this were the US) she'll just send me - or the chemist - the script.

Just saw a CCHR video that I found secondhand, called "Making a Killing."  It's overhyped, but most of it is true.  Hubby watched it with me and gained insight into what I've been telling him.  He said he was boiling mad, made him want to do something antisocial to Big Pharma.  Ahhh.  Little lights going on around me.  It's good to see.  I'd like to pass it on to someone but I'm not sure who could handle the INTENSITY of the HYPE in the video, designed to manipulate.  Which is, to me, the same kind of wrong as Big Pharma.  As if Scientology "auditing" hasn't caused a few suicides, as well......but the interviews and viewpoints are good, even if the presentation is pushy.

Jan, my doc send script to the pharmacy by fax and then posts the original to them. Can yours do that? Worth asking about :)

Current medications:

• Moderator Emeritus

This is a compounding pharmacy on the Gold Coast - slightly different from normal chemist.

I will ask if she can send it directly to the compounding chemist, if she offers to post it to me, because I will just have to turn around and re-post it to him.

I'm going to post this publicly because I think it was a breach of protocol and netiquette.  Remember I posted about an Orthomolecular Naturopath, Johny Atman, in my neighborhood?  Well, he PM'd me with an ad for his business, titled, "can I help?"  I PM'd him back and cc'd Alto because I don't think that's appropriate, especially since he hasn't participated at all on this site.  From what I know of him, he does just want to help, but I think he believe "if you build it they will come."  He needs to participate - here and in MIA - in order to get recognition for his expertise.  I'm not comfortable with this, especially since I am the one who referred him to this site.  

I didn't tell him to do anything other than talk to Alto, because she has the authority to list him as a provider or not, based on her wise assessment of him.  Also, since this is about drug withdrawal, even if he is orthomolecular, we don't know that he knows anything about tapers.  

I'm concerned that his behaviour here will reflect badly on me.  I try to play by the rules here, I respect what is being done here.  And that was so inappropriate!

ALSO - if anyone else has been contacted by him, I want to know.  This is just a little disconcerting.

• Moderator Emeritus

Alto seems to have set Johnny straight.  I;m not sure he is for us or not.  As  "natural practitioner" he has good ideas about cascades and pathways, but I;m not sure he's up on our recommended protocol.  And he cannot write scripts.

Back from physio for my hand.  Splint has escalated to a huge aluminum thingy to immobilise the tendon and sheath,  For 2 weeks.  No yoga.  

For most people, ok, a break from exercise is no big deal.  But I've been pulled from karate, and now from yoga.  This is a vital part of my support.  There is walking, I know.  But you have no idea how HOT it is here right now.  I can walk about 10 minutes a day, and do.  Walking at night would be too activating, and would delay my sleep even more.

Speaking of delayed sleep, being on the prednisone has ensured that I see 4 am!  And I've noticed irregular heartbeat shortly after taking it.  I'm going to do one more dose and stop, but I will be glad of ending that.

I also have only a few more days of my fourth (and FINAL, I hope!) course of antibiotics.

After all of this, I feel quite normal, like maybe I was never crazy to begin with, or maybe I don't have the withdrawal difficulties that others here do.    Sure, I do feel withdrawal, but it doesn't seem to be protracted or intense, like it is for so many others here.  Thank the gods I stayed away (mostly) from extended use of SSRI's.  I really do think that those, then the neuroleptics, then the benzos (in that order) are the source of so many problems.

Peace out, it;s darned hard to type with this thing on my hand!

Sorry to hear about that 'thing' on your hand. I hope the two weeks go by gently so that you can get back to normality :)

Current medications: