MissTrish: Mirtazapine/Remeron Struggle

MissTrish

John, thank you for weighing in.  How are you doing?  This is a rough road, isn't it?  I've never been through anything like this in my life.  One of the hardest things for me is that I just can't seem to stop my brain from twirling around and around.  That and the sleep, of course.

1986-2005:  Limbitrol (15 Librium/ 50 Elavil combo) 1986-2005, 2005-successfully tapered Librium

January of 2009-2011:  Mirtazapine 30 mg; Cymbalta 60 mg; tapered cymbalta fall/winter of 2011/12

March 2012-March 2014:  Mirtazapine, and various trials of Celexa, Zoloft, Wellbutrin and Lexapro; began Lexapro taper

9/18/14-Lexapro .7 mg; Mirtazapine 30 mg; 9/29/14 ditched Lexapro; added 25 mg Nortryptyline began mirtazapine taper

11/4/14:  Mirtazapine 15 mg; Nortryptyline about 12.5 mg; 1/17/15:  Mirtazapine 7.5 mg; Nortryptyline 2.5 mg, then jumped nortryptyline.

2/10:  Mirtazapine 1.875, 2/11:  Re-established at 6.75, 3/19-6.0 mg, 4/9-5.8, 4/17-6.3; 4/21 tried to re-establish at 7.5

4/23/15-Back to 5.8; 5/5-5.1mg; 5/16-4.6 mg; 5/24-4.2 mg; 6/2-3.9 mg; 6/9-3.6 mg; 6/16-3.3 mg; 6/23-3 mg

6/28-2.8 mg; 7/2-2.5 mg; 7/4-Jumped, due to increased misery from the drug itself.

In a spell of panic due to agitation and insomnia, went through a few days each of 10, then 5 mg amitryptyline and 5 mg librium. Did not work out well. Horrible insomnia now.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MissTrish

• freespirit

• Altostrata

• Meimeiquest

Top Posters In This Topic

You know...as sick as this sounds, sleep was a big issue for me. So much so I was freaking out that I was going to be Micheal Jackson: be addicted to sleeping pills and such to the point I'd be on propranolol. I was really scared. Then, I got really bad eye problems. Then I simply could not see well at all. Not at all. Then, that was the issue that trumped sleep. Imagine you can't see anything but blurry haze all the time. Nothing is clear any more. That worried me so much I forgot about the sleeping issue and I started to sleep like a baby again.  So eye damage helped my sleep problem.  I traded one hell for another.

Don't get any ideas...hurting one part of the body to forget another is not an effective solution...but in my case...it did work. I sleep almost 7 hours a night now...just like I used too. The only problem is, I can't see for sh%t. I am dangerous on the road and I can't do my job very well. I need my eyes. Apparently the mirt caused this issue over the withdrawal. I have spent over $2K USD (and counting) on eye doctors and they have no clue (except they love to take my money). So I am on my own.

What is frustrating is that we are all on our own. Why we are all here is that we have discovered medicine's dirty little secret: That there are NO cures (except antibiotics) and that treatments for chronic diseases don't work very well, if at all (but boy will you pay out the wazoo for lame treatments).  And pay not only in your hard earned cash but in bad physical health (as most people here are) as a result of these "treatments".  Medicine is anything but modern..in fact, with the exception of antibiotics, I'd say we are only slightly better than 100 years ago. That is because medical science is just too far behind. We need gene therapy and stem cells to help us and that requires a hell of a lot more knowledge of the human body.

Depression is a matter of an imbalance of neurotransmiters (and not just serotonin and such) which again shows the ignorance of current research. But once we *do* understand the right neurotransmitters, then gene therapy could target the DNA and produce them without the need for drugs and all the baggage that comes with them.  But that will be 100 years from now at the lethargic pace of medical science.

I'm frustrated as you can tell...just like you...but I guess it helps to vent to someone... :)

Mirtazapine since 2008:

I started January 2008 on approx 4 mg per night.

2010, I was on 7,5 mg per night

2012, I went up to 15 mg

2013  up to 45 mg on some nights

2013 to 2014 on Zolpidem 10 mg

Jan 2014 off of Zolpidem C/T

Jan 2014 down to 15 mg Mirt

Feb 2015 back up to between 30 to 45 mg per night

Late Feb 2015 started fast taper from 45 to 0 mg. 30 day taper. C/T March 25

Using supplements but have withdrawals problems

I know!  Same worries here about the sleep/Michael Jackson/proponol, lol!  But considering my extreme reaction to 1/2 tablet of melatonin, that's probably not the answer for me anyway.

I'm so sorry about your eye; how did the mirtazapine cause that, do you know?

Feeling strong, feeling good, at least for today!

1986-2005:  Limbitrol (15 Librium/ 50 Elavil combo) 1986-2005, 2005-successfully tapered Librium

January of 2009-2011:  Mirtazapine 30 mg; Cymbalta 60 mg; tapered cymbalta fall/winter of 2011/12

March 2012-March 2014:  Mirtazapine, and various trials of Celexa, Zoloft, Wellbutrin and Lexapro; began Lexapro taper

9/18/14-Lexapro .7 mg; Mirtazapine 30 mg; 9/29/14 ditched Lexapro; added 25 mg Nortryptyline began mirtazapine taper

11/4/14:  Mirtazapine 15 mg; Nortryptyline about 12.5 mg; 1/17/15:  Mirtazapine 7.5 mg; Nortryptyline 2.5 mg, then jumped nortryptyline.

2/10:  Mirtazapine 1.875, 2/11:  Re-established at 6.75, 3/19-6.0 mg, 4/9-5.8, 4/17-6.3; 4/21 tried to re-establish at 7.5

4/23/15-Back to 5.8; 5/5-5.1mg; 5/16-4.6 mg; 5/24-4.2 mg; 6/2-3.9 mg; 6/9-3.6 mg; 6/16-3.3 mg; 6/23-3 mg

6/28-2.8 mg; 7/2-2.5 mg; 7/4-Jumped, due to increased misery from the drug itself.

In a spell of panic due to agitation and insomnia, went through a few days each of 10, then 5 mg amitryptyline and 5 mg librium. Did not work out well. Horrible insomnia now.

I know!  Same worries here about the sleep/Michael Jackson/proponol, lol!  But considering my extreme reaction to 1/2 tablet of melatonin, that's probably not the answer for me anyway.

I'm so sorry about your eye; how did the mirtazapine cause that, do you know?

Feeling strong, feeling good, at least for today!

Well, WD from mirt causes you to have histamine intolerance. So this means allergy like symptoms including dry irritated skin. The cornea of your eye has an epithelium layer that is in contact with the oil producing glands and tear glands. So what I think is that my eye does not have a good tear film and is in a dry eye syndrome. It is just amazing how much tears and the tear film can affect vision quality.  

I am using artificial tears but they tend to blur my vision more and I am using high concentrations of DHA/EPA (fish oil). I also have punctal plugs.   But so far, none of that has worked that much....if at all.

I've seen 5 eye doctors and no one can find anything wrong.  One doctor said that since I "guessed" 2 out of the 5 letters at the 20-20 line, I got the line. I GUESSED!  So that just shows you how inaccurate eye doctors are and how crude are their testing methods that date back to 100 years.

But I know I'll find the problem with my own research. It is in the tear film. There is another procedure, that costs a lot of money, but may help produce more oil in my tears. I sure hope so. 

I'm glad you are feeling good ....work that feeling for all its got!

Mirtazapine since 2008:

2012, I went up to 15 mg

Actually, I spoke too soon on sleeping normal. I'm not sleeping normal by any means, I'm just better than I was on mirt and coming off of it. But I still have a long way to go before I am my pre-drug self. Eyes, ears, and sleep are worse than when I started mirt. This was a very wicked drug from some sick pharmaceutical companies. Just barbaric treatments.

Mirtazapine since 2008:

2012, I went up to 15 mg

• Administrator

MIssTrish, how are you doing now?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

John, I hope you continue to improve.

Altostrata, it's been 2 1/2 weeks now.  I've reached a stage where I just feel weary, even when I'm amped up and can't rest.  The first two weeks were about surviving those days, which I did.  Now I'm at a stage where I just think, is this really going to ever get better?  Sort of like having a newborn, and at the two week point, although you still adore him to the moon and back, you're tired and thinking, will I survive this?

I have most nights managed 4-6 hours of sleep, broken into shifts.  I believe my histamine levels are off the charts and I seem to be limited to the blandest diet ever (chicken and veg).  Everything I eat, and even exercise and the amount of sunshine I get affect my anxiety level, which is sky high.  On the plus side, at a certain level, the histamine can make me feel cheerful and productive, at least until it gets higher still.

Yesterday morning my anxiety level reached a new high and I seriously worried about seizures.  I was so anxious I couldn't move if that makes any sense, and I just felt like my head would explode.  Very little sleep, and itching all over.  I went for a walk to try to dispel the anxiety, and afterward I broke out in big watery hives.  I broke down and took an antihistamine.  I know that's not a good idea, but I was honestly so miserable I just did it.  It helped the hives a lot, although I'm still itching, backed my anxiety down a lot, and I actually slept a full 8 hours last night.  Today I'm in the down, hangover stage of that drug. But I know the histamine/anxiety will build back up, that this is not an answer.  Still, when it reaches the hives point, I do feel an antihistamine might be warranted.

Last week I tried .5 mg melatonin, which I've taken successfully in the past.  Had a paradoxical reaction - although the anxiety leveled out, I was wired for sound.  Tried 25 ml liquid magnesium citrate a couple of nights ago - I think it did help in some ways w/relaxation, but it also made me tremble and tingle all over, and that was pretty unpleasant.

I am working very hard on my recovery.  I'm trying not to spend too much time in a/d groups because I tend to read horror stories, believe they're also mine, and believe I will never recover.  I've become aware of the nocebo effect - that if I spend too much time in it and believe it, it will be so.  Still, it's hard not to when you're anxious.  But I do wish there were more people who have recovered who stick around and share!

I do know the suggestion is to taper much more slowly than I did.  However, I also believe I was never able to stabilize long at any level w/mirtazapine, that it was in poop-out stage, (even, increasingly, sleep poop out) and that the drug itself was in many ways aggravating the symptoms.  

On the plus side, my first grandbaby was born yesterday, and thanks to the antihistamine, I was able to function well enough to make the trip over there with my hubby!  Cutest baby ever born, I can assure you!

Do you have any magical words of wisdom for me, Ms Alostrata, lol?  It means a lot to me that you checked on me.  Thank you.

• Administrator

I wish I had some magical words! Hang in there.

You might want to look at Gastrocrom (generic) for the histamine gut issues. It's a mast cell stabilizer for the gut. It comes as a liquid in plastic vials, you can work up your dosage in drops.

It may, at least, reduce the histamine release from digestion.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

John, I hope you continue to improve.

Thanks MissTrish. I hope I didn't scare you. I'm still too early but have the same issues as you do (sleep, histamine, anxiety). I'm 4 months C/T and it did get better. My sleep and histamine intolerance has improved (although still not normal but better). But I was on this poison way longer than you. So it could be a year for me to detox.

For you, however, it could be only a few months from when you jump off. I hope that is your case. Actually, it seems your body is pretty strong. One thing I do know it this can't be permanent due to the plasticity of the brain. It can heal. It is just a matter of time. In my case, I'll have to suffer many more months but I don't think you will.

Mirtazapine since 2008:

2012, I went up to 15 mg

• 3 weeks later...

Checking in.  Nearly 6 weeks out now.  Got so beat down by anxiety and insomnia I had a slip and for a few days each, took 10, then 5 mg of amitryptyline and 5 mg librium.  Did not work out well for me.  Have had no sleep aid or supplement since 8/8.  My sleep is horrendous right now.

I'm undergoing a daily outpatient group therapy program that's basically CBT to help me cope with this and the anxiety. Interestingly to me, the psychiatrist of the program did not try to put me on additional drugs - although she's not a huge believer in protracted w/d syndrome, she did recognize the anxiety and says that many people with high anxiety do not respond well to meds, and that CBT therapy is the best treatment.  The therapist himself, I learned yesterday, although he was walking a fine line there because there are people in the group on meds, is not a bit believer in meds, either.  It's refreshing and comforting to be in this kind of an environment for a change (outside of the cyber world).

Still, the insomnia is kicking my butt.  If I'm lucky I'm getting two hours, finishing up shortly after midnight.  Those dark hours after that are when the despair creeps in.  I can't focus, read, or anything.  Then around 3 am or so I suddenly perk up and can focus, read, etc.  By morning I'm wondering how I can ever survive this.  How can I be so wired when I haven't slept?

Yesterday I had my first bout of intense irritation/anger, which I believe was triggered by fatigue and feeling overwhelmed by real life, everyday responsibilities.  I just don't have the mental energy to cope with anything right now.  I was able to totally relax my body and go into an alpha state for a short while, but this left me with deep depressed feelings.  Then the weirdness is I get bouts, like clockwork, of agitation (and yesterday, depression to boot) from mid-afternoon until mid-evening.  If I'm lucky I have an hour or two of feeling okay before I head to the salt mines (er, bed) at ten.

Hi Miss Trish,

I'm having the same issues with insomnia.  A lot of times I'm up all night, and I get that "wired" feeling that you mentioned.  I believe the "neuro - emotions" are often triggered by the fatigue.  Unfortunately, I don't have any answers for you as I'm struggling myself.   Patience and time, seems to be the key to surviving all this.  I hope this improves for you , soon.  Hugs, Ali.

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

Well the fact that you are surviving, AliG, says a lot.  I am apprehensive because I'm not as young as you probably are; I'll be 60 in two months.

I slipped last night; broke out in big water hives and decided to take an antihistamine. Woken up by hubby at six because our dogs had made a great escape.  He was beside himself; had I had no sleep things would have been so much more disastrous.  I just can't seem to cope with anything right now.

Thankfully we found them after an hour of driving around.

Just stopping by to say hello, Trish. So glad you found your dogs. It's always something, isn't out--especially when you have animals!

Having kind of a rough day myself! I try not to think about how (or if) age fits into all this!

XOXO

Zoloft 100 mg. daily for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome since Oct. 1994 / Synthroid 88 mcg. daily / Supplements: Neptune Krill Oil-1,000 mg. twice daily/Astaxanthin 10 mg. twice daily/Ubiquinol 100 mg. twice daily (These 3 have allowed me to discontinue (approved by doctor) bp meds I was on. Calcium Citrate 500 mg. daily/Vitamin D3 2,400 iu daily/K2 (MK7) 100 mcg daily (osteopenia and fam. hist. of severe osteoporosis). Stress B Complex (1/2 dose)/Quercetin (for allergies/asthma)/Magnesium (400 mg. oral glycinate and about 50 mg. magnesium chloride spray oil a day, divided throughout day).

Tapered Zoloft about 6 wks. Totally off since the end of July (25-29, 2014). 3 wks. vertigo at end of taper, then 3-4 wks. OK, followed by withdrawal symptoms increasing in severity (nausea, gastric disturbances, loss of appetite, insomnia, restlessness, jitters, anxiety, agitation--jumping out of my skin--possible akathisia?) Seem to have paradoxical reactions to everything new, even Vitamin C. Severity of akathisia comes and goes, but is constant to some degree. Hard to leave house, and cannot be home alone. (Retired)

Hello Miss Luv2Knit, I try to remind myself (because I believe most of the time in a power greater than me) that my Higher Power has infinite possibilities that I've never dreamed of.  It's very easy for me to put that HP in a box and think that if I can't find a solution to something there isn't one.  Trusting in the Divine at the moment; it's got me this far.

Yes... Absolutely!!

Zoloft 100 mg. daily for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome since Oct. 1994 / Synthroid 88 mcg. daily / Supplements: Neptune Krill Oil-1,000 mg. twice daily/Astaxanthin 10 mg. twice daily/Ubiquinol 100 mg. twice daily (These 3 have allowed me to discontinue (approved by doctor) bp meds I was on. Calcium Citrate 500 mg. daily/Vitamin D3 2,400 iu daily/K2 (MK7) 100 mcg daily (osteopenia and fam. hist. of severe osteoporosis). Stress B Complex (1/2 dose)/Quercetin (for allergies/asthma)/Magnesium (400 mg. oral glycinate and about 50 mg. magnesium chloride spray oil a day, divided throughout day).

Tapered Zoloft about 6 wks. Totally off since the end of July (25-29, 2014). 3 wks. vertigo at end of taper, then 3-4 wks. OK, followed by withdrawal symptoms increasing in severity (nausea, gastric disturbances, loss of appetite, insomnia, restlessness, jitters, anxiety, agitation--jumping out of my skin--possible akathisia?) Seem to have paradoxical reactions to everything new, even Vitamin C. Severity of akathisia comes and goes, but is constant to some degree. Hard to leave house, and cannot be home alone. (Retired)

Hey, maybe there's a plus side to our age! (I turned 60 last December). We may not have certain aspects of youth, but we have years of experience and hopefully, have learned a thing or 2. If I'd have been going through this even 10 years ago, I would not have had any degree of Zen. The difficulties of the past 7 or 8 years have shown me I can survive and even thrive from really hard things..and there are daily practices in my life that I never had before. There's a different kind of resilience that can come with age IMO.

Remeron for depression. Started at 7.5 mg. in 2005. Gradual increases over 8 years, up to 45 mg. in 2012.Began tapering in June 2013. Went from 45 to 30 mg in the first 3-4 months. Held for a couple of months.Started tapering by 3.75 mg every month or 2, with some longer holding periods. Eventually went down to 3.75 mg. about April 2014. Stopped taking Remeron August 2014. Developed issues with histamine a week after stopping--symptoms reduced through diet and a few supplements. Currently having issues with a few foods. Most of the histamine intolerance has resolved or is at least, in remission.

Current Medications:

Current Supplements: Cannabis (CBD and THC), Vitamin C, D, Quercetin, CoQ10, Tart Cherry, Probiotic, Phytoplankton oil, magnesium, Methyl B. What has helped me most: spending time in nature, qi gong, exercise, healthy diet, meditation, IV vitamins, homeopathy, massage, acupuncture, chiropractic, music, and cuddling my cats..

My introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8459-mirtazapine-withdrawal-freespirit/#entry144282

Please note: I am not a therapist or medical practitioner. Any suggestions offered come solely from my personal experience in recovering from childhood trauma, therapy, and AD use. Please seek appropriate care for yourself.

“After a cruel childhood, one must reinvent oneself. Then re-imagine the world.”
Mary Oliver

That's a great way of looking at it, Free.  And you may very well be right.

I shoveled out a total of 4-4 1/2 hours last night and am very proud of it.  That last hour or hour and a half was the direct result of intense mindfulness, deep breathing and meditation music.  Don't know that it will always work, but the mindfulness definitely slowed down the endless over-thinking/squirrel cage.

That's great. Sometimes, nothing I do will work to get me back to sleep..but if I can avoid getting upset or excessive rumination, that in itself is a good thing. For years, I used loving kindness meditation when I woke during the night...after some time, I would automatically start saying the phrases, even before I was fully awake. It's a great practice for softening the heart and helping to focus the mind.

Remeron for depression. Started at 7.5 mg. in 2005. Gradual increases over 8 years, up to 45 mg. in 2012.Began tapering in June 2013. Went from 45 to 30 mg in the first 3-4 months. Held for a couple of months.Started tapering by 3.75 mg every month or 2, with some longer holding periods. Eventually went down to 3.75 mg. about April 2014. Stopped taking Remeron August 2014. Developed issues with histamine a week after stopping--symptoms reduced through diet and a few supplements. Currently having issues with a few foods. Most of the histamine intolerance has resolved or is at least, in remission.

Current Medications:

Current Supplements: Cannabis (CBD and THC), Vitamin C, D, Quercetin, CoQ10, Tart Cherry, Probiotic, Phytoplankton oil, magnesium, Methyl B. What has helped me most: spending time in nature, qi gong, exercise, healthy diet, meditation, IV vitamins, homeopathy, massage, acupuncture, chiropractic, music, and cuddling my cats..

My introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8459-mirtazapine-withdrawal-freespirit/#entry144282

Please note: I am not a therapist or medical practitioner. Any suggestions offered come solely from my personal experience in recovering from childhood trauma, therapy, and AD use. Please seek appropriate care for yourself.

“After a cruel childhood, one must reinvent oneself. Then re-imagine the world.”
Mary Oliver

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Trish,

Checking in to see how you are doing?

T

April 2014 remeron 45mg.

June 2014 abilify 2.5 remeron wasn't working so abilify was then added

September 2014 woke up with anxiety x 100!!!!

Pdoc then took me from 45 to 7.5 within a month and took abilify from 2.5 to 0

Currently

Remeron 7.5

Vitamin d 5,000 iu taking for about 3 years

October 2014 added fish oil/omega 3 1000 mg per day

Levothyroxitine 100 10 years or so

Dec 2014 started tapering 10% every 10 days-no problems.

August 2015 down to 0.1 mg

Woke up with severe anxiety-sleep issues-racing thoughts-depression. 9/9/15 up dose 1 mg.

Hi T. I reestablished at 7.5 mg a couple of weeks back, with 20mg Latuda. Sadly, I got suicidal. Gonna take a tapering break for a while. Thanks for asking.