Lespaul19: On 75mg effexor xr for 12 years, bridged prozac need help

lespaul19

Yeah still on 37.5 less one bead

2000-2001 10mg Paxil
2001-2012 75mg effexor
2012-2013 37.5mg effexor
c/t effexor early oct, prozac for 10mg 7-8 days, off all meds until reinstating effexor 37.5mg nov 12th

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lespaul19

• Altostrata

• btdt

• Petunia

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderator Emeritus

Maybe you could try taking out another bead and see how that goes. I felt better after every drop,

however tiny. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Ok I will try this after alto confirms it's a good idea.

I've had this weird thing randomly when I sleep (usually when I nap or sleep too long) I wake up and feel like my bed is vibrating, but I'm still half asleep and don't really do anything to stop it, I've had this before even before all this reinstating etc, just wondering if anyone knows what this could be?

2000-2001 10mg Paxil
2001-2012 75mg effexor
2012-2013 37.5mg effexor
c/t effexor early oct, prozac for 10mg 7-8 days, off all meds until reinstating effexor 37.5mg nov 12th

• Moderator Emeritus

So it's been about 5 weeks since reinstatement, my symptoms come and go and I have windows of normalcy, the most persistent symptom is heart palpitations, weird flip floppy pressure feeling in my brain, minor tinnitus, and the last few days I've been having these waves of cold and hot come over me, it could be anxiety because I get a tingling feeling in my feet and a slight burning sensation on parts of my skin, which I've read is common with anxiety, does this all sound normal alto? Or anyone else with experiance feel free to give opinions

Those sound like pretty normal typical WD symptoms.

I personally think given the history you describe that you'd be best served by holding your taper for a while longer, until these symptoms settle down. People generally do best with tapers if they start them as stable as possible. 

The only exception is when the drug itself is so activating that they have to taper even though they're not really stable yet. Those are rough tapers. I see that there's the possibility Effexor may be a bit activating for you, but given that you're so recently out from a traumatic CT I'm not sure that observation is 100% reliable, since things can go kind of paradoxical after a CT.

If you're not in intolerable suffering right now, I'd go with the conservative approach and hold off further cuts for another four to six weeks.

Do keep a daily log, rating your symptoms on a numerical scale, say 1 to 5.  That will give you some objective information so you can see patterns as they emerge. Our brains on withdrawal don't do that so well by themselves.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

I'm not in intolerable suffering by any means, my symptoms are quite mild most of the time compared to some of the stories I read here, just a little annoying and frustrating when I have a bad day to feel like I'm going backwards, or that the reinstatement won't work and that builds my anxiety up

2000-2001 10mg Paxil
2001-2012 75mg effexor
2012-2013 37.5mg effexor

I'm having this burning sensation in my head now, on my face, feels very strange, I notice my symptoms are worse lately around 3-4am, I take my effexor at 7pm

2000-2001 10mg Paxil
2001-2012 75mg effexor
2012-2013 37.5mg effexor

• Administrator

That sounds like paresthesia, a known withdrawal symptom.Are you taking Effexor XR, with little beads inside the capsule?http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/724703 

Venlafaxine is metabolized to its active metabolite, O-desmethylvenlafaxine (ODV). After administration of extended-release capsules, the peak plasma concentrations of venlafaxine and ODV are attained within 5.5 and 9 hours, respectively.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Yeah the xr with the little beads

2000-2001 10mg Paxil
2001-2012 75mg effexor
2012-2013 37.5mg effexor

It was such a strange sensation, like my brain was on fire or something, scared me really bad since I had no idea what was happening, it lasted for about 10 minutes and was followed by my face feeling hot and flushed

2000-2001 10mg Paxil
2001-2012 75mg effexor
2012-2013 37.5mg effexor

Alto this may sound stupid but it's not possible I got seratonin syndrome or nms is it?

2000-2001 10mg Paxil
2001-2012 75mg effexor
2012-2013 37.5mg effexor

that was a dumb question, im just worried ive damaged my brain somehow

2000-2001 10mg Paxil
2001-2012 75mg effexor
2012-2013 37.5mg effexor

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Lespaul, these sensations can be quite scary but I doubt very much that you have damaged your brain.

I had some frightening side effects from effexor and some even scarier withdrawal  symptoms but they do

settle down eventually. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Thanks for the comfort, just really feeling down the last few days, no energy, tired but can only fall asleep at 7am, anxiety and weird feeling in my head/body

2000-2001 10mg Paxil
2001-2012 75mg effexor
2012-2013 37.5mg effexor

just wondering since new withdrawal symptoms popped up, does that mean the drug is not having any effect? im worried im going to get worse if thats the case

2000-2001 10mg Paxil
2001-2012 75mg effexor
2012-2013 37.5mg effexor

• Moderator Emeritus

Are you still getting the burning sensations in your head and face during the early hours of the morning?  How long have you been having trouble falling asleep?  When you do fall asleep (at 7am), how long do you sleep for?  Is the anxiety and 'weird feeling' also a new symptom?

I'm thinking that the effexor may have become too activating for you and you would feel better with a small cut.  Maybe someone else with more experience with this medication could comment.

Please would you put the date of your reinstatement in your signature, that would be helpful.

Thanks

Petu.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

thaks petu, I only had that burning brain sensation that one night, my face feels a bit flushed and hot when im having anxiety other times though.Ive been having trouble falling asleep for the past week but it could be because i stayed up really late one night and that threw my schedule out of whack, so now when i fall asleep at 7-8am i sleep for 7-8 hours.The anxiety and weird feeling (pressure feeling in head, balance seems a bit shaky) have been here since the start, they just vary and are very unpredictable as to when i get them, for instance i took my pill at 7pm tonight and its now 2am and im feeling a bit better than i have in a few days, i had enough motivation to wrap some gifts, do some other things etc,I was going out with friends a few nights a week, going out on my own to buy groceries/shop, run errands, but the last 4-5 days i havent had the energy or motivation to do any of that.

2000-2001 10mg Paxil
2001-2012 75mg effexor
2012-2013 37.5mg effexor

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing the internal tremors when I try to sleep? It seems to only happen if I try to sleep after only being up for a little bit, like if I try to nap, or if I try to go to bed early after sleeping in that day, I've had this for the past 2-3 years very randomly and not too often, but this week I've had it 3-4 times

2000-2001 10mg Paxil
2001-2012 75mg effexor
2012-2013 37.5mg effexor

this is so frustrating, i have no idea what is withdrawal and what is an adverse reaction, could anyone help me differentiate these two? I figure that since I've had some relief and was able to function it wouldn't be an adverse reaction? I'm just worried because when I first started back on it I got worse before I got a bit better, and now I'm feeling crap again

2000-2001 10mg Paxil
2001-2012 75mg effexor
2012-2013 37.5mg effexor

• Administrator

Thanks for the comfort, just really feeling down the last few days, no energy, tired but can only fall asleep at 7am, anxiety and weird feeling in my head/body

Since you take the Effexor at 7 p.m., it's pretty likely it's keeping you awake. You might take it in the morning instead. I would move the time up by 2 hours a day until you are taking it in the morning, i.e. next time, take it at 5 p.m., then 3 p.m., eetc.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing the internal tremors when I try to sleep? It seems to only happen if I try to sleep after only being up for a little bit, like if I try to nap, or if I try to go to bed early after sleeping in that day, I've had this for the past 2-3 years very randomly and not too often, but this week I've had it 3-4 times

It sounds like Effexor was always too stimulating for you, and this has gotten worse since your nervous system has become destabilized from the cold turkey in October.

just wondering since new withdrawal symptoms popped up, does that mean the drug is not having any effect? im worried im going to get worse if thats the case

Get worse? You have withdrawal syndrome and adverse effects from the drug. It's having plenty of effect, just not a beneficial effect.

Most likely, your system is now sensitized to all psychiatric drugs. To take care of yourself, you need to get serious about non-drug therapies for whatever psychological issues you might have.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Thanks for the reply alto,

2000-2001 10mg Paxil
2001-2012 75mg effexor
2012-2013 37.5mg effexor

So your suggesting to hold at my dose now but try taking it earlier? What signs should I look for before starting my taper?

2000-2001 10mg Paxil
2001-2012 75mg effexor
2012-2013 37.5mg effexor

I was "diagnosed" with gad at 13 if I didn't already mention that in this thread, and always took my effexor after dinner time with no trouble sleeping if that's makes any difference.

2000-2001 10mg Paxil
2001-2012 75mg effexor
2012-2013 37.5mg effexor

• Administrator

It doesn't make a difference, your nervous system has been completely changed by withdrawal.

Sleeplessness is not a good point at which to taper.

Thanks alto, sorry if I'm being a pain I'm just very nervous about this, my anxiety is pretty bad lately.

Have a merry christmas

2000-2001 10mg Paxil
2001-2012 75mg effexor
2012-2013 37.5mg effexor

• Administrator

Understandable, you have withdrawal syndrome.

Do your best to stay calm, and use search on this site when you have questions. Just about everything has been answered before.

Do you think I have a better chance at not going through protracted withdrawal and 3+ years of recovery if I stay on the effexor and stabilize before going through a very slow taper? I'm also thinking if I can get stable I might just stay on for life, I don't know if I could handle a 3+ year recovery. This is just some anxious rambling, I feel so neglected by my doc, neglected by myself for staying on these and letting it just become a habit, it just became too normal for me to take my pill - half the time I wasn't even aware of being on effexor, and chalked any negative thing up as just being what I am, I guess that's what happens when you go on these young, it just becomes "normal".

2000-2001 10mg Paxil
2001-2012 75mg effexor
2012-2013 37.5mg effexor

You can help yourself a lot by not giving in to thinking about the past. What is done is done and you cannot change it. It helps to remember that this kind of thinking comes along with wd, it is not really you. mammaP chases her thoughts away with a broom! Keep reading in the symptoms and self care forum for non drug techniques you can use to cope in the meantime. Just remember you are strong enough to make it through the bad stuff and it does not last nearly as long as we think it will. Every day the brain is healing and stabilizing, the body has a knack for righting itself if we give it a chance.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

• Administrator

We advocate a slow taper, allowing the nervous system to adjust, so as to avoid the nervous system destabilization of prolonged withdrawal syndrome.

Once your nervous system is destabilized, how long it takes you to recover cannot be predicted. It may be a matter of months. No matter how long it is, you will be able to cope with symptoms. A positive attitude towards healing -- it's inevitable -- helps a great deal.

What will be, will be. You cannot go back to an Edenic drug state -- not with any predictability, that is.

You can help yourself a lot by not giving in to thinking about the past. What is done is done and you cannot change it. It helps to remember that this kind of thinking comes along with wd, it is not really you. mammaP chases her thoughts away with a broom! Keep reading in the symptoms and self care forum for non drug techniques you can use to cope in the meantime. Just remember you are strong enough to make it through the bad stuff and it does not last nearly as long as we think it will. Every day the brain is healing and stabilizing, the body has a knack for righting itself if we give it a chance.

thank you for the reply, i try as hard as i can to be positive, sometimes it works and sometimes i just feel defeated by this whole mess, but im trying my best to stay positive and count blessings everyday

2000-2001 10mg Paxil
2001-2012 75mg effexor
2012-2013 37.5mg effexor

We advocate a slow taper, allowing the nervous system to adjust, so as to avoid the nervous system destabilization of prolonged withdrawal syndrome.

Once your nervous system is destabilized, how long it takes you to recover cannot be predicted. It may be a matter of months. No matter how long it is, you will be able to cope with symptoms. A positive attitude towards healing -- it's inevitable -- helps a great deal.

What will be, will be. You cannot go back to an Edenic drug state -- not with any predictability, that is.

so your saying i will have to taper eventually? theres no chance i could become as stable as i was before my cold turkey/switch to prozac? also this might be a stupid question, but my anxiety is playing tricks on me again, is it possible to develop an allergic reaction to effexor or any drug? Ive had hives the past few days, nothing major or uncomfortable, just a single hive on my neck or chest after i wake up.. it usually goes away within an hour.i used to get these sometimes before too, but now that im hyper alert and worried about anything unusual my body does ive noticed it more. 

2000-2001 10mg Paxil
2001-2012 75mg effexor
2012-2013 37.5mg effexor

• Administrator

I have no idea when or if you can become stable on 37.5mg Effexor XR minus 1 bead. You have had an adverse reaction to the switch to Prozac. This has destabilized your nervous system.You cannot go back and rewrite history.It sounds like the Effexor XR has become too stimulating for you. I suggest rather than decreasing it again now, you move taking it up to earlier in the day, as below: 

Since you take the Effexor at 7 p.m., it's pretty likely it's keeping you awake. You might take it in the morning instead. I would move the time up by 2 hours a day until you are taking it in the morning, i.e. next time, take it at 5 p.m., then 3 p.m., eetc. 

It sounds like Effexor was always too stimulating for you, and this has gotten worse since your nervous system has become destabilized from the cold turkey in October. 

Get worse? You have withdrawal syndrome and adverse effects from the drug. It's having plenty of effect, just not a beneficial effect. Most likely, your system is now sensitized to all psychiatric drugs. To take care of yourself, you need to get serious about non-drug therapies for whatever psychological issues you might have.

Please try to stay calm and answer your own questions as well as you can. Your anxiety is causing you to repeat the same questions over and over. Slow down, calm yourself, and read this topic again when you feel questions coming up.

sorry alto, this morning i freaked myself out, i let that happen sometimes... as the day goes on im feeling "better" in the sense that my anxiety is lifted, but i have the numb carefree kind of spaced out feeling. yesterday is the first time i fell asleep at a normal hour, i fell asleep around 11pm and woke up at 5:30am with some anxiety, calmed myself and watched tv for an hour then fell back asleep til 8:30am, will take my effexor at 5pm today and see how that goes.

2000-2001 10mg Paxil
2001-2012 75mg effexor
2012-2013 37.5mg effexor

• Moderator Emeritus

Glad you managed to get some decent sleep and hope that taking the effexor earlier makes

a difference for you. 

2002  effexor. 

Got an ok sleep last night again, a bit broken, weird dreams where I got in a fist fight with someone, haven't been in one since I was 12 15 years ago lol, woke up a bit anxious at 9am but it's eased a bit, feeling tired and yawning at 2:30pm and I have a friends birthday dinner I need to go to tonight

2000-2001 10mg Paxil
2001-2012 75mg effexor
2012-2013 37.5mg effexor

Another good sleep with some very minor morning anxiety, have moved taking my effexor back to 6pm for now, able to fall asleep at 11pm.

2000-2001 10mg Paxil
2001-2012 75mg effexor
2012-2013 37.5mg effexor

Forgot to mention my friends dinner went fine, though I didn't feel up to bowling after

2000-2001 10mg Paxil
2001-2012 75mg effexor
2012-2013 37.5mg effexor