Fenrir: my Paxil journey

Fenrir

• Administrator

You can make your own liquid out of a tablet.

If your tablet was a generic and the liquid you tried before was a different brand, that could account for the bad result.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fenrir

• Altostrata

• Petunia

• Meimeiquest

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to speak about paxil as it is the ssri I'm withdrawing from. I mean, the tremors, anxiety and other symptoms could be due to serotonin syndrome developing during withdrawal? Just a guess, I know serotonin syndrome is mainly caused by the association of different ssris or other substances acting on serotonin, but...what are the tremors for example due to? can serotonin syndrome develope during withdrawal?

end of 2010, prescribed paxil 20mg

1 year off cold turkey  september 2011- september 2012 (nightmare) escitalopram for 4 months (didn't help).

RI september 2012 20mg

october 2013 crash reaching 10mg

10/31/2013 updose to 14mg

1/3/2014-13mg

2/23/2014-12mg

4/6/2014-11mg

august 2014-10mg

November-December 2014 Big mistake, skipping doses BIG Crash

January 2015- 12 mg

No, they are from withdrawal. Your autonomic nervous system not working right. Enjoy--Merry Christmas from the land of lost chemicals. But it's good--serotonin syndrome is potentially life-threatening.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

• Administrator

Serotonin syndrome is from excessive serotonergic stimulation. It occurs when one is taking too high a dose of serotonergic drugs or from a drug interaction with a serotonergic drug that causes excessive serotonergic stimulation.

In the absence of adding a new drug, tapering a serotonergic drug would not cause serotonin syndrome, the serotonergic stimulation is being reduced. Rather, this causes withdrawal syndrome.

Please use search on this site or Google to answer questions of this type.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I agree with the above two posts.  Coming off an SSRI would make any serotonin syndrome wane, not wax.  I and many others here have found that coming of an AD known to contribute to serotonin syndrome in some, can cause tremors and anxiety during WD. The WD  symptoms for AD's are usually different than serotonin syndrome symptoms, and taking less of a drug that boosts serotonin activity would only improve serotonin syndrome- not make it worse.  I once tried Celexa for a few days and flew into rages.  The doctor called THAT serotonin syndrome (as I was on an SSRI, an SNRI, and a SARI all at the same time).  Since then, too fast of a withdrawal from the SARI caused a tremor and anxiety.  As soon as I uped the dose of the SARI again, the tremor and anxiety resolved.  Hope this helps.  Feel free to ask for clarification if that was confusing.  I understand your reason for asking, as sometimes it's hard to differentiate between drug side effects and WD effects.  There's just no way that REDUCING paxil could make serotonin syndrome worse.

Merry Christmas!

insomnia, anxiety, depression- since childhood

lyme disease, dysautonomia, chiari malformation- dx 4/1997

nortriptyline- 75mg since childhood

clonazepam- 3mg since 4/1997

trazodone-100mg since 4/2013, now tapering

rotating antibiotics and antimalarials for lyme disease

midodrine- 10mg for dysautonomia

repeated skull surgeries for chiari malformation

• Administrator

Correct, the treatment of serotonin syndrome involves reducing the serotonergics.

You can make your own liquid out of a tablet.

If your tablet was a generic and the liquid you tried before was a different brand, that could account for the bad result.

No I always used the same brand of paroxetine mesylate.

I was doing fine both with the liquid and the tablets till october when I swtiched again to liquid after taking half a tablet for 2 months. At that point I crashed and updosed to 14mg from 10mg. I ask myself if maybe I had been using compromised liquid for 1 month, from october to november and part of the same november because on the bottle it was written to consume within 52 days, and they were being opened for more than 52 days. Now...after almost 2 months on 14mg, I seem not to be able to stabilise, I don't know what to do....do you think I should hold for more time ?

Thank you all for the suggestions and the support.

1 year off cold turkey  september 2011- september 2012 (nightmare) escitalopram for 4 months (didn't help).

RI september 2012 20mg

1/3/2014-13mg

2/23/2014-12mg

4/6/2014-11mg

august 2014-10mg

January 2015- 12 mg

• Administrator

Yes, the liquids lose their potency over time.

As I said before, you might updose to 15mg. The alternative is to hold. Your choice.

I would like to chime in if I may and second Alto's advice on the generic versus named brand.  I have seen a real difference in my own responses to the different brands.

I found that I had more night sweats and was a bit more irritable with the generic brand.  All doctors disagreed and I saw a Psychiatrist (stupidly thinking he would understand the compounds and ingredients...) he was rubbish but I read his expression (call me paranoid!) when he looked up the ingredients and wondered if maybe the ingredients were slightly different and hence the reason for something feeling 'off'.  He told me to ask my GP for the named brand if I felt differently.... 

My GP would NOT prescribe the name brand (wanting to save the NHS money) I was furious!!!

However, I spoke to a pharmasist at 'BOOTS' who confirmed that regardless of what it says on the prescription, they will always give the customer the NAMED brand and not the generic brand (don't know why but that was my problem solved) That was years ago and I always go to Boots now for all of my scripts.

Additionally, when I spoke to one of the compounding pharmacies the other day, they confirmed that while preparing medications they use the 'ACTIVE' ingredient, in this case for example 'paroxetine' but, some 'INACTIVE' ingredients (fillers and more benign substances) that they use MAY differ to what is used in the named brand stuff.....so a switch over might be noticed by the patient.... I guess, depending on a persons make up and sensitivity, there is the chance for that. 

I don't take any chances now and always go to Boots - I count myself extremely lucky that as a resident of Northern Ireland I also get the script free.  I think of my friends on this site who have to pay for the privilege of being on these poisons while trying to taper and that is just nuts.  of course we all 'pay' in a why, through taxes I guess but talk about adding insult to injury!!!  

You should definitely stick to the one chemist or brand whether generic or named brand,  And yes, get rid of the bottle that is 52 days or older... 

Edited by Petu
fixed text

May 2001 - age 24 given 20 mg seroxat. Tried to reduce myself after a year. Told by GP to take on alternate days and I would be fine. FAIL. Assumed 'wrong time' due to university stress and that my 'depression' must be worse than I thought.

Increased dose to 30 mg December 2002. Tried the same technique as before to reduce- made it down to a quarter tablet but couldn't stand symptoms, had a sneaking suspicion that it was due to tablets but never considered dependency - 'depression is a diseased brain after all' (is what I was told)

Continued until October 2010 - tried to CT and managed to last five months - assumed the depression was really bad but had no understanding of the reason for awful anxiety. Ran back to GP started Prozac- went crazy thought I was going to die. Stopped Prozac after two weeks.

April 2010 Started sertraline. Stablished but felt numbed.

September 2010 Asked for seroxat again. Upped my dose to 30 after three weeks. Felt hyper, caffeinated, but functional. Glad to be over what I thought was 'depression'..

Realised it is the meds, want to be free at last - July 2012 started 10% taper from original dose and took supplements. Took suppliments sporadically and despite the temptation the taper, wanted it 'over with'. Taper took exactly six months and 10 days.

Reductions were as follows:
First 2 weeks- 27 mg
Next 2- 24mg
Next 2- 21 mg
Next 2- 18mg
Next 2 15 mg
Next 2 12 mg (held for four weeks due to house move from London back to Ireland)
Next 2 weeks- 9 mg
Next 2 weeks- 6 mg
Next 2- weeks 3 mg
Next 2 weeks 1.5 mg (held for 5 weeks as scared)
10th February 2013 Jumped to zero

Within 3 weeks sadness, led to anxiety.  Restarted suppliments - helped a bit.  Stressful move to London. A lot of fatigue and DEEP emotions. Crying LOTS. Took suppliments on and off, moved back to Ireland after being back in London for only eight weeks as felt too sad and unsettled. 

No suppliments when moved back.  Unhappy at being back, scared I wouldn't ever find happiness - deep deep sadness, anger, STUPIDLY went back to doctor and decided I must just be a 'depressive'.  Given Citalopram/Celexa 20mg.

Took it for seven days, changed my mind, decided to be 'strong' and put it behind me. (No particularly adverse effects that I recall, save for day 5 having inner vibrations in arms and legs) Still had pack of tablets however and every time emotions got hard felt I had to 'go back onto tablets'.  I did this from July until November. (On them off them on them off them) ........

Started to get body vibrations and told myself it was 'anxiety' and I was 'giving myself panic attacks.  I continued to cry as I 'started' the tablets again and again - not wanting to go back there but not sure what else to do. 

More vibrations - but didn't make the connection that I had a compromised CNS -  thought it was anxiety....chest started to pound in Sept, vibrations continued...lost weight, became anxious, sleep was awful and I tried a variety of remedies to replace the tablets and calm my anxiety and lift my mood.  I think they made things worse.

(These included, St.Johns Wort, Rescue Remedy, Homeopathic treatments, Chinese herbs, Passiflora, and suppliments from the online company who state they are experts in assisting people get off meds)

Also did the following:

Talking therapy

Human Givens Therapy

Homeopathy

Narcotics Anonymous

October 23rd took Citalopram (20mg) for 12 days - no relief

November 6th Started Seroxat 10 mg (to be safe) stupidly upped to 20 the next day.

Stayed on 20 for 18 days, no relief, stopped for two days suddenly, relief came - short lived, vibrations and torture came after 72 hours.  Suicidal for days.  Upped to 30 thinking it would improved.  Even more suicidal.  Dropped to 20 again (December 9th) not suicidal, but not better. Started liquid 28th December reduced to 18 mg in effort to reduce and stabilise.  Don't know where to go from here.  Living with parents who are supportive beyond words.

Sweetcreature

Thank you alto and sweetcreature, I really appreciate your inputs.

Would be a problem if I'm going to use half a tablet (10mg) and 4mg of liquid? then slowly taper the liquid and remain with 10mg solid, half a tablet? what do you think? is this method going to give me problems or sounds good?

RI september 2012 20mg

1/3/2014-13mg

2/23/2014-12mg

4/6/2014-11mg

august 2014-10mg

January 2015- 12 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

I've had problems with generic v named too. And couldn't tolerate venlafaxine liquid when I tried to

switch. I reacted to something in it, my mouth was swollen and sore. 

In the UK doctors aren't allowed to prescribe named brands any more, it is up to the pharmacy which

make they provide. (My doctor told me it IS to do with money but not the doctor's choice, he has to

prescribe paroxetine not seroxat. ) . 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Hi Lex, best get advice from the experienced staff I think for your reduction.  Although if the liquid is past its best you must NOT use it! I take it you mean getting a new bottle?

May 2001 - age 24 given 20 mg seroxat. Tried to reduce myself after a year. Told by GP to take on alternate days and I would be fine. FAIL. Assumed 'wrong time' due to university stress and that my 'depression' must be worse than I thought.

Increased dose to 30 mg December 2002. Tried the same technique as before to reduce- made it down to a quarter tablet but couldn't stand symptoms, had a sneaking suspicion that it was due to tablets but never considered dependency - 'depression is a diseased brain after all' (is what I was told)

Continued until October 2010 - tried to CT and managed to last five months - assumed the depression was really bad but had no understanding of the reason for awful anxiety. Ran back to GP started Prozac- went crazy thought I was going to die. Stopped Prozac after two weeks.

April 2010 Started sertraline. Stablished but felt numbed.

September 2010 Asked for seroxat again. Upped my dose to 30 after three weeks. Felt hyper, caffeinated, but functional. Glad to be over what I thought was 'depression'..

Realised it is the meds, want to be free at last - July 2012 started 10% taper from original dose and took supplements. Took suppliments sporadically and despite the temptation the taper, wanted it 'over with'. Taper took exactly six months and 10 days.

Reductions were as follows:
First 2 weeks- 27 mg
Next 2- 24mg
Next 2- 21 mg
Next 2- 18mg
Next 2 15 mg
Next 2 12 mg (held for four weeks due to house move from London back to Ireland)
Next 2 weeks- 9 mg
Next 2 weeks- 6 mg
Next 2- weeks 3 mg
Next 2 weeks 1.5 mg (held for 5 weeks as scared)
10th February 2013 Jumped to zero

Within 3 weeks sadness, led to anxiety.  Restarted suppliments - helped a bit.  Stressful move to London. A lot of fatigue and DEEP emotions. Crying LOTS. Took suppliments on and off, moved back to Ireland after being back in London for only eight weeks as felt too sad and unsettled. 

No suppliments when moved back.  Unhappy at being back, scared I wouldn't ever find happiness - deep deep sadness, anger, STUPIDLY went back to doctor and decided I must just be a 'depressive'.  Given Citalopram/Celexa 20mg.

Took it for seven days, changed my mind, decided to be 'strong' and put it behind me. (No particularly adverse effects that I recall, save for day 5 having inner vibrations in arms and legs) Still had pack of tablets however and every time emotions got hard felt I had to 'go back onto tablets'.  I did this from July until November. (On them off them on them off them) ........

Started to get body vibrations and told myself it was 'anxiety' and I was 'giving myself panic attacks.  I continued to cry as I 'started' the tablets again and again - not wanting to go back there but not sure what else to do. 

More vibrations - but didn't make the connection that I had a compromised CNS -  thought it was anxiety....chest started to pound in Sept, vibrations continued...lost weight, became anxious, sleep was awful and I tried a variety of remedies to replace the tablets and calm my anxiety and lift my mood.  I think they made things worse.

(These included, St.Johns Wort, Rescue Remedy, Homeopathic treatments, Chinese herbs, Passiflora, and suppliments from the online company who state they are experts in assisting people get off meds)

Also did the following:

Talking therapy

Human Givens Therapy

Homeopathy

Narcotics Anonymous

October 23rd took Citalopram (20mg) for 12 days - no relief

November 6th Started Seroxat 10 mg (to be safe) stupidly upped to 20 the next day.

Stayed on 20 for 18 days, no relief, stopped for two days suddenly, relief came - short lived, vibrations and torture came after 72 hours.  Suicidal for days.  Upped to 30 thinking it would improved.  Even more suicidal.  Dropped to 20 again (December 9th) not suicidal, but not better. Started liquid 28th December reduced to 18 mg in effort to reduce and stabilise.  Don't know where to go from here.  Living with parents who are supportive beyond words.

Sweetcreature

I have new bottles of paxil, I'll stick with liquid only. The thing that scare me is that I seem not able to stabilise but worsening. Today I also vomited my lunch.

RI september 2012 20mg

1/3/2014-13mg

2/23/2014-12mg

4/6/2014-11mg

august 2014-10mg

January 2015- 12 mg

I have new bottles of paxil, I'll stick with liquid only. The thing that scare me is that I seem not able to stabilise but instead I'm worsening. I started to have night sweats and all the GI issues have worsened. Today I also vomited my lunch. Please help me, tell me what to do, I really don't know how to cope.

RI september 2012 20mg

1/3/2014-13mg

2/23/2014-12mg

4/6/2014-11mg

august 2014-10mg

January 2015- 12 mg

• Administrator

Thank you alto and sweetcreature, I really appreciate your inputs.Would be a problem if I'm going to use half a tablet (10mg) and 4mg of liquid? then slowly taper the liquid and remain with 10mg solid, half a tablet? what do you think? is this method going to give me problems or sounds good?

Yes, you can use half a tablet with 4mg liquid. This might be a good way to gradually switch to the liquid.Tapering with liquid is a lot easier.I hope this helps you.

Alto, is it normal to not be able to stabilise after an updose made 2 months ago after crashing at 10mg? The fact is that instead of stabilising it seems to me that I'm worsening.

RI september 2012 20mg

1/3/2014-13mg

2/23/2014-12mg

4/6/2014-11mg

august 2014-10mg

January 2015- 12 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Lex, I looked back through your thread and you started to feel a little better when you

got the new liquid. This would mean that you must have been getting a reduced dose when the old

liquid lost it's strength.  Alto suggested going up slightly to 15mg, it could still help but I understand

why you don't want to do that. None of us want to updose but sometimes it can help. It isn't failure,

it's finding the right dose to stabilise on. This will settle down if you stay at 15mg, no-one can say

how long it will take but it will settle and I hope it is very soon for you. Meantime take care of yourself 

and take it one day at a time, it WILL get better. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

I'm not going to updose, If I can stabilise on 15 I can also at 14....or not? anyway I think I'm going to taper soon considering that the 2 months at 10mg SOLID paxil I FELT PERFECTLY...then crashed switching to the liquid, thought were the previous drops catching up and updosed,,,,but I'm no more so sure about this, about the fact that previous drops were catching up with me...maybe was the switch to make me crash, so...if I felt good on half a tablet (10mg) could make sense for me to start reducing and reach 10 again in solid form. Inputs?

RI september 2012 20mg

1/3/2014-13mg

2/23/2014-12mg

4/6/2014-11mg

august 2014-10mg

January 2015- 12 mg

• Administrator

You're trying to use logic, but your nervous system has changed and requires new rules. What worked before may not work now.

What are your worsening symptoms?

You're trying to use logic, but your nervous system has changed and requires new rules. What worked before may not work now.What are your worsening symptoms?

nausea, loss of appetite, fatigue. Akathisia and tremors improved so far.

what do you think?

thank you alto for your support.

RI september 2012 20mg

1/3/2014-13mg

2/23/2014-12mg

4/6/2014-11mg

august 2014-10mg

January 2015- 12 mg

• Administrator

If akathisia and tremors have improved, that's a good sign.

Since you're not giving yourself any option but to hold, I guess you'll have to hold for as long as it takes. See the Symptoms and Self-care forum for suggestions about coping with symptoms http://tinyurl.com/3hq949z

are you sure that holding is better than taper, in my situation?

RI september 2012 20mg

1/3/2014-13mg

2/23/2014-12mg

4/6/2014-11mg

august 2014-10mg

January 2015- 12 mg

• Administrator

I'm not sure of anything. My best guess is you should updose slightly, but you don't want to do that.

The decision is up to you.

tapered down to 13mg today

RI september 2012 20mg

1/3/2014-13mg

2/23/2014-12mg

4/6/2014-11mg

august 2014-10mg

January 2015- 12 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

How are you doing since your cut?  Are you still planning on tapering back down to 10mg fairly fast?  I hope things are going well for you, please let us know how you are doing.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

How are you doing since your cut?  Are you still planning on tapering back down to 10mg fairly fast?  I hope things are going well for you, please let us know how you are doing.

not worse than on 14mg at the moment....I'm going down to 10mg in April

RI september 2012 20mg

1/3/2014-13mg

2/23/2014-12mg

4/6/2014-11mg

august 2014-10mg

January 2015- 12 mg

Or maybe weaning 1mg every 2 months till 10...still have to decide.

RI september 2012 20mg

1/3/2014-13mg

2/23/2014-12mg

4/6/2014-11mg

august 2014-10mg

January 2015- 12 mg

For Altostrata: Is it possible to change the title of the thread? If it is maybe with "my paxil journey" or something like that. Thank you...

RI september 2012 20mg

1/3/2014-13mg

2/23/2014-12mg

4/6/2014-11mg

august 2014-10mg

January 2015- 12 mg

• Administrator

done

done

thank you very much Alto, the hell part was too pessimistic, I have to try to stay positive  :)

RI september 2012 20mg

1/3/2014-13mg

2/23/2014-12mg

4/6/2014-11mg

august 2014-10mg

January 2015- 12 mg

• 3 weeks later...

I'm at 13 mg since the 3 of january, I have nausea and today I vomited after lunch...it is the second time this month, the last about 1 month ago. 

What I experienced is that I took for 3 days prednisone due to a laringitis 2 weeks ago and those 3 days were the best in months,,,withdrawal symptoms eased a lot and especially aniety almost disappeared....????

RI september 2012 20mg

1/3/2014-13mg

2/23/2014-12mg

4/6/2014-11mg

august 2014-10mg

January 2015- 12 mg

• 4 weeks later...

dropped to 12 mg

is it possible to feel the drop after only 3 days? Could not sleep tonight and felt the reality strange today, as if it is a dream.

I want to add a thing: I live in italy and I take "daparox" which is paroxetine mesylate and not hydrochloride, can this make a difference in symptoms and difficulty of withdrawal? I always felt better with the solid paroxetine mesylate but now I'm taking liquid as it is easy to dose (1 drop=1mg)....When I tried to switch to solid at the same dosage I felt better, the only thing is that I had crazy vivid dreams but overall I felt more happy and symptoms more tolerable...is this possible, to find difference between solid and liquid form?

RI september 2012 20mg

1/3/2014-13mg

2/23/2014-12mg

4/6/2014-11mg

august 2014-10mg

January 2015- 12 mg

• Administrator

Yes, you can feel a decrease right away. It sounds like perhaps that decrease was too much for you. You may wish to increase by 0.5mg, to 12.5mg.

You can get tablet doses compounded by a pharmacy, if that's available.

The type of paroxetine does not make a difference in withdrawal.

• 5 months later...

I'm at 10 mg and struggling, having bad nausea and fatigue. I have no appetite.

I'm taking half a tablet.

RI september 2012 20mg

1/3/2014-13mg

2/23/2014-12mg

4/6/2014-11mg

august 2014-10mg

January 2015- 12 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

How long have you been at 10mg?  Did you ever stabilize on 12mg?  Have you had these symptoms since February or did they just come back?

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes