SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Fonz: Sick After Taking Dose?

Fonz

• Moderator Emeritus

When you hit a period of feeling less crappy it might be time to start titrating down. 

Are you familiar with this site?  You could start to make a plan for that using lot's of tips and experience.  Unfortunately I wound up cold turkeying basically from 3mg. to nothing and it has been tough.  Windows and waves and lot's of in between.  And I still hit plenty of waves.

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fonz

• Pugknows

• mammaP

• manymoretodays

Top Posters In This Topic

Id love nothing more than to be free of this poison.

When I'm ready I will certainly use the forum for guidance.

I have switched back to brand name and as I suspected I'm having a rough time with the change back.

Took 5mg Lexapro (Cipralex) for 14 years.

Did 8 Month taper, jumped off December 2017.

Took Clonazepam for 10 years. Went through Benzodiazepine Protracted withdrawal. I am five years out but still not fully recovered. I was bedridden for the first two years.

Hello all,

My SSRI clearly makes me sick. I am trying to stabalize back on the Brand name I have taken for years (Cipralex).

What I am noticing is Cipralex and the two generics I tried a all give different side affects. The problem is i had hoped to stick on the brand name but I'm getting side affects that I recognise from Months ago. I think at times I have been confusing possible Benzo withdrawal with symptoms related to the SSRI.

If I'm sick from taking the SSRI wouldn't it be good time to start tapering? Im guessing ill have to cut at around the 5-10% per 4 weeks rate as I am sensitive.

I have been reading around but my searches are not providing me with all I need.

I own a nice scale which is what I used last time I cut, but I also have lots of experience with doing liquid titrations. I'm not so sure how well my Cipralex can be disolved?

I like the scale method but I'm concerned with fillers and the fact that if the scale breaks I'm in trouble.

Any advice?

Took Clonazepam for 10 years. Went through Benzodiazepine Protracted withdrawal. I am five years out but still not fully recovered. I was bedridden for the first two years.

Under the Tapering section there's a thread on Cipralex tapering. I CT'd Gabapentin and Ativan, so I'm not knowledgeable about tapering. I'm rooting for you. I definitely understand being sick on the medication. It is why I CT'd, plus the doctors told me to just stop taking it. I'm glad you found the forums when you did, unlike me.

Hugs to you, Pug

January 2012 - Prescribed 900mg gabapentin and 30mg Norco for lower lumber spinal stenosis pain.

September 2013 - Spinal fusion surgery, 6 levels. Hospital ramped up meds 1500mg gabapentin, 100mg Norco, 80mg Oxycontin, 25mg Fentanyl patch.

January 2014 - Sever nausea daily and with back pain every 4 hours. 2 trips to ER. First endoscopy found ulcer. Treated with Sucralfate and PPI. Second endo in May found no ulcers. Doctors said it was the opiates causing the nausea. CT'd Oxycontin, Fentanyl patch.

July 2014 - Lost 48 lbs. due to not eating because of severe nausea. GP prescribed Prozac 20mg and Ativan 2mg prn. Tried for 4 days, quit. Two week followup GP said keep taking Prozac. 4 days, quit again. Ativan taken rarely prn for anxiety and appetite.

August 2014 - Went to detox. Off opiates. Still nauseous, helmet head, drugged feeling. Doctor CT'd gabapentin. Ended up in ER. Found 2 gallstones. Gabapentin reinstated at 900mg. Tried botched up and down taper to get off Gabapentin. No tapering advice from doctor. Said to just CT again.

September 2014 - Coded on table during gallbladder surgery. Developed liver biloma due to CPR by doctor. Had bile bulb inserted for 2 wks to drain.

October 2014 - Gallbladder removed. Still nauseous, 3am cortisol surging, drugged helmet head, vertigo, breathlessness, whooshing head, heart palps.

November 8th, 2014 - CT'd gabapentin suggested by family and 4 different doctors. Was told no withdrawal is associated with gabapentin. Have been in hell ever since. No windows, just one big tsunami every day with same symptoms for 4 months.

December 26, 2014 - Found SA. At least I know I'm not insane. My family thinks I'm doing this to myself. Akathesia has become unbearable.

March 10, 2015 - In absolute daily hell with no relief. Currently taking magnesium 200mg before bedtime.

• Moderator Emeritus

I have been reading around but my searches are not providing me with all I need.

Hi Fonz, what information are you looking for? Maybe this will help.

Tips for tapering off Lexapro (escitalopram)

Aka Cipralex

Perhaps it would be best to wait a little while until you stabilize back on your original brand, before beginning a taper.

This might be something to consider:

Micro-taper instead of 10% or 5% decreases

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Hello Pug, can you describe your symptoms after the cold turkey? No worries I certainly will not do that myself.

Petunia, thanks for the info. I was just looking for any info to help get off this poison.

I'm feeling pretty bad right now but I'm not sure if this is part of stabalizing or not? I'm having to lay down as sitting and walking is a chore. I feel dizzy and exausted if I walk or do any work. I'm experiencing lots of brain vibrating/pulsing/electrical symptoms. I am also experiencing some distortion of reality and a general ill feeling.

Any of that sound familiar? I didn't have any of this until my SSRI was messed with urggg.

I will call the pharmacy and find out exactly what went on.

Fonz

I just spoke to my pharmacist and according to their records I have been taking Brand Name Cipralex the entire time except the one single dose of Generic.

After taking the single dose of generic I felt ill, this was like 4-5 days ago. I'm still sick but am taking my usual Brand Name.. So what in the world is going on? Can one single dose mess up things enough that I'm still sick? Do I need to stabalize back on brand name even though I only took one single dose of generic?

I must be very sensitive. I will say though that if I miss a single dose of my usual Brand Name it can make me sick for a few days.

Thoughts anyone? I'm discouraged because I was doing better :o(

Hi Fonz,

Immediately when I jumped off the meds, I was hit with the following symptoms:

Anxiety

Akathisia

4am morning cortisol surges

Panic

Nausea

Pulsating head whooshing in sync with my heartbeat

Vertigo

Heart palps

Insomnia

Hot flashes

Back pain

Depression

Drugged/drunk feeling

DP/DR

Breathlessness

Gastro issues

Inability to handle good or bad stress/stimulation

I'm sure I've left out a few.

At 10 months out now, I still have:

4am cortisol surging, complete with panic and heart palps

Head whooshing - decreased by about 70% 3 days ago

Insomnia

Inability to handle good or bad stress/stimulation

So, all in all, I'm getting there.

Hang in there, Fonz. Love, Pug

January 2012 - Prescribed 900mg gabapentin and 30mg Norco for lower lumber spinal stenosis pain.

September 2013 - Spinal fusion surgery, 6 levels. Hospital ramped up meds 1500mg gabapentin, 100mg Norco, 80mg Oxycontin, 25mg Fentanyl patch.

January 2014 - Sever nausea daily and with back pain every 4 hours. 2 trips to ER. First endoscopy found ulcer. Treated with Sucralfate and PPI. Second endo in May found no ulcers. Doctors said it was the opiates causing the nausea. CT'd Oxycontin, Fentanyl patch.

July 2014 - Lost 48 lbs. due to not eating because of severe nausea. GP prescribed Prozac 20mg and Ativan 2mg prn. Tried for 4 days, quit. Two week followup GP said keep taking Prozac. 4 days, quit again. Ativan taken rarely prn for anxiety and appetite.

August 2014 - Went to detox. Off opiates. Still nauseous, helmet head, drugged feeling. Doctor CT'd gabapentin. Ended up in ER. Found 2 gallstones. Gabapentin reinstated at 900mg. Tried botched up and down taper to get off Gabapentin. No tapering advice from doctor. Said to just CT again.

September 2014 - Coded on table during gallbladder surgery. Developed liver biloma due to CPR by doctor. Had bile bulb inserted for 2 wks to drain.

October 2014 - Gallbladder removed. Still nauseous, 3am cortisol surging, drugged helmet head, vertigo, breathlessness, whooshing head, heart palps.

November 8th, 2014 - CT'd gabapentin suggested by family and 4 different doctors. Was told no withdrawal is associated with gabapentin. Have been in hell ever since. No windows, just one big tsunami every day with same symptoms for 4 months.

December 26, 2014 - Found SA. At least I know I'm not insane. My family thinks I'm doing this to myself. Akathesia has become unbearable.

March 10, 2015 - In absolute daily hell with no relief. Currently taking magnesium 200mg before bedtime.

Thanks for sharing Pug! It interesting to see how many of those symptoms I also experience and have with my long Benzo withdrawal.

The wooshing head you describe interests me, you mention it being insinct with your heartbeat? I get what id describe as a strong pulsing in my brain and sometimes vibration in my brain that goes with my heartbeat. I find when these symptoms are bad my brain doesn't quite work as normal. Its very hard to describe. Sometimes it feels like an electrical storm mixed with brain throbbing preasure that gives me what I call "Jello Brain". Its like my brain turns to mush for a while.

I get these episodes after I take my dose and they can last for 10min to many hours.

I can't wait to be able to start tapering this poison.

Cheers,

Fonz

I got the head whooshing immediately after jumping. I thought the source of my withdrawal was Gabapentin, which is said to mimic benzo withdrawal. But I also CT'd Ativan at the same time, which I only took PRN for three months. I had no idea what a benzo was or the nightmare of withdrawal. So who knows which drug is the culprit?

I guess it doesn't matter, except it drives me crazy not knowing.

About a week ago, my head whooshing decreased significantly, so maybe I'm making headway. 10 months is a long time of endless 24/7 agony with no windows. I'm grateful for the reprieve.

You'll be off this last drug in no time. Just be patient. Don't rush the process. You don't need to be miserable like us CT sufferers.

Love, Pug

Thanks for the info.

I'm nearly at 2 years off my Benzo's and that's after a 12 month taper. I'm still messed up from it.

I'm not doing so great at all, I'm hoping I can level out a bit so I can get off this SSRI poison, once and for all.

Cheers,

Fonz

You'll be okay, sweetheart.

I'm kind of nervous Pug... It's been such a long road getting off the Benzo's. I'm still unable to work or do much, I'm honestly very impressed with my self for making this far. My benzo blog is a nightmare.

I'm laying in bed, can't sleep.. The brain zaps/vibrations/pulsing is driving me nuts. I seem to be back to my normal routine of feeling sick after taking my dose.

Its time to get off this slowly.

Love,

Fonz

Hey Fonz,

I'm laying in bed too and can't sleep either, with the heart palps and head whooshing going strong. I can't work, pretty much bedridden. Can't watch TV. Might as well live in a box.

What a pair we make! You'll be okay. When are you going to start your taper? I know you're nervous about it after your benzo withdrawal. No need to rush things. Do it when you feel ready. I'll be right here if you need me.

Love, Pug

Quite a pair we are is right!

I'm hoping to start my taper as soon as possible.

I'm much more sick today, I have no idea what's going on?

I have heard other members saying if your SSRI stops working it can make you sick. I feel this could be whats happened to me.

I feel like I'm dying today, I'm so messed up sitting up is a challenge. Is this even normal for SSRI's ?

Its days like this that make you want to throw in the towel.

Hope you are doing better today Pug :)

((((Fonz))))

SSRI withdrawal is as difficult as benzo WD. Similar intensity of a monkey barrel of symptoms for many people. Just keep reminding yourself it's WD and nothing is physically "wrong" with you, except frayed nerves and damaged neurons in need of repair. You will heal 100% eventually. "Throwing in the towel" has been felt by all of us. It's not an option. Perseverance and time and temporary suffering seem to be our only choices. We will make it.

Love, Pug

Thanks for the support!

I'm starting my taper soon, I'm waiting for a clear window but I'm not getting any. I may just start anyways...

Cheers

• Moderator Emeritus

Hard to say if you will feel worse or better or just the same when you start to taper............weird though.......I think I still have many symptoms but have somehow just gotten used to them??  Or I do have the ability to get moving better and that sure helps.  I do remember though....... that days and days on end of suffering.  Brain whooshes are now a distant memory as is most of what felt like agitation but was probably akathesia.  The problem now is going to be winter I think........shorter days and it feels like so much less time in a day.

I am finding that some of the supplements really help at this point.  The Mag. Citrate.  Coconut oil.  Apple Cider vinegar for that pesky indigestion.  And just started a very low dose of Omega 3's.

Me too though.......on hitting my final frontier and starting the slow decrease of oxycarba???/trileptal.

Let's just all hold hands now and lead each other around..........  :)

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

So the jump off lexapro, did the hospital kind of force this? How long were you in there for after? What did they do for you? Here the doctors and hospital does nothing.

• Moderator Emeritus

More or less.....but I wouldn't say forced. I wasn't really able to speak for myself much when I got there. And of course they could not give me the liquid.....rules and regulations. I am kind of glad I was there about 2 or 3 days post cold turkey.....but I wouldn't say it was one of my better healing experiences. I was there a total of 8 days. After day 4 or 5...I figured out how to get discharged as soon as possible. I still am waiting to run into one of my peers from that final hospitalization. It wasn't too bad of an experience.....as I picked my hospital and they were improved in care in a lot of ways. Still......tons of rules and indignities...

• Moderator Emeritus

They did pretty standard........well probably better than standard inpatient psych care.........to further answer your ?.  Routine, schedule, etc.  Good pysch techs did various groups throughout the day.......that kind of thing.   Nothing in the way of withdrawal treatment.  The Dr. there said...."Oh, I know you are antipsychiatry"........although I said nothing of the kind.........they did know that I was a trained peer in my state........but so many who are are totally gungho with the meds..........so that was weird.  Social workers and other patients were really my salvation and to just get on out of my usual environment.........

I just said in response that I was not totally antipsychiatry and we worked out my last 2 meds. eventually.  And maybe understood each other.

It wasn't that I was suicidal but just sooooo lost at the time........not as aware as I am now that a lot of what I was going through was indeed withdrawal and too rapid of a decrease or the change to liquid wasn't good.........I don't know.  I was also grieving pretty hard a loss of loved one to suicide and my whole world was shaken in many ways.......different stuff........not all neuroemotions...........well maybe it all was.

If I could do a re-do.........I spose I would have just stuck it out med-less...........but that would have been difficult too........I mean this was a free standing "state of the art psych hospital"......... 

And oh......I was responsible for a bit of a jump......not prepared at all and not doing the Lexapro withdrawal more cautiously.

Not something I am real proud of.......in any case........it just happened that way.

Anyway......that was then.......this is now and it truly is getting better..........healing as I type :)  Almost a year ago now........yay.

Thanks for sharing and glad you are doing better than before.

So I must ask, how do you get in to a hospital like that? Where I live it doesn't seem so easy, only if you are suicidal. If you are anxious or need help getting off drugs there is no place to go.

For reference this is an article I found on "Poop Out". I'm pretty sure this is whats happened to me.

The difference with this article is it mentiones some people get sick with symptoms where most articles only say "the drug stops working".

http://mentalhealthdaily.com/2014/04/28/paxil-poop-out-symptoms-does-paroxetine-stop-working/

• Moderator Emeritus

I lucked out I guess.  In getting there........to that hospital.  We have a warm line here that I used to call pretty frequently at that time.......not a crisis line but if you get them concerned they will transfer you to crisis..........sometimes crisis people pick up when it is understaffed.  But over time and talking to the different people there.......I finally got a direct line to call to ask about admission, and then got to go right to their receiving center(no ER) for a brief triage and I was admitted.  I have learned the "system" kind of over time, and as a peer person here too.........but yah........it is awful how hard it is to get in if you don't know how and definitely some of the hospitals around here with psych units are just not real healing places for anybody..........they are all trying harder though.

I had to spend one night on kind of a creepy floor.......it was just scary..........but then they got me up to the more appropriate floor the next day.  They let us smoke too.......call them fresh air breaks.....lol.  And give out nicorette gum.  Oh yah.......going to try and decrease my cigarette use just a bit now too.  Yay!

Thanks......I'll check out that article.

Fresh air breaks huh? Haha.. Here smoking is band in all work places and public places. You were lucky!

Im starting my taper tonight, fun fun. I guess ill start with maybe 5%, 10 would be too much I'm sure.

Cheers,

I could not get into hospital even when I was suicidal :/

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

Moved from tapering

Hello everyone,

I am currently thinking I have reached "poop out". I have been taking my AD for 12 years and a while back I started getting quite ill after taking my daily doses. About an hour after id get slammed with horrid symptoms. This happens after each dose day after day.

I have decided its time to get off.

I know everyone here is in to very slow tapers but if the drug is making you ill is it not time to get off?

My body is telling me I'm being poisoned, "get the hell off".

I started cutting today at 5%, I guess I will see how this goes first.

Suggestions?

Ouch, that's not right at all!

I have started my taper, I decided to start cutting by 5% using liquid titration.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Fonz, 5% is a good start, give allow 4 weeks to see how it goes before making any more cuts as you are clearly sensitive to changes,  

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

I'm surprised but I'm bed ridden today, obviously from my mere 5% cut. I don't feel I should backtrack though.. I will wait until I stabalize before cutting further.

I just can't believe 5% can be this bad? I will admit I have been ill lately regardless but not like this.

At 5% I'm looking at two years which I find discouraging considering I'm only taking 5mg. I know its too soon to assume but its just discouraging.

As taking my normal doses make me ill I was hoping to find releif by cutting this poison.

Ill report back later,

Fonz

A theory:

I have discovered I'm very sensitive to slight dose changes.

I take 5mg doses but I don't use 5mg tablets, I use 10mg broken in half. I'm wondering if the dose is equal on both sides? I also notice when you break them the physical dimentions of the two halves are different.. Is it possible I'm never getting a consistant dose? Causing my illness all the time?

A doctor would laugh. But I wonder.

This is why we recommend using a milligram scale or a liquid suspension.  Accuracy, particularity at the lower doses is critical.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

• 2 months later...

Hi Fonz,

How are you doing?

I just found your thread. It sounds your feel ill post dosing experience matches what I'm feeling recently. I also feel I'm being poisoned and my body is resisting the drug.

How did the taper work for you?

Lex

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

2009 Mar.: lexapro 10mg for headache for 2 weeks.

2009-2012: on and off 1/4 to 1/3 of 10mg

2012 June--2013 Jan,: 1/4-1/3 of 10mg generic, bad jaw pain

2013 Jan-Mar: 10 mg generic. severe jaw and head pain;

2013 Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg by July. first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain

2013 Aug.: back to 2.75 mg; Nov: back to Brand Lex. 2.75mg -- 3mg,

2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on

2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.

2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR

2016 Feb., started dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday 2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg

2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, 2/13--0.13mg, 2/20--0.06mg, 3/18--0.13mg, 6/1--0.12mg, 7/6--0.1mg, 7/14--0.08mg, 8/17--0.04mg, 8/20--0.03mg, 8/28--0.02mg, 9/6--0.0205mg, 9/8--0.02mg, 9/17--0.015mg, 9/20--0.01mg, 9/21--0.0048mg, 9/22--0.0001mg,

• 2 months later...

Fonz,

I hope you are doing ok!

I really want to hear from you as I'm experiencing the exact same with lexapro after a long hold at 3.2mg. Each drop brings up immediate severe symptoms, strangely they vary for different days almost following the pattern of same set for odd days and other set for even days. I have been experimenting long dosing time ( up to 12 hours), breaking up dosing by long break in a day etc. as my body simply can't take it otherwise.

I also started faster taper lately which seems help with certain symptoms but also intensify others.

I'm looking forward to hearing your tapering progress,

Lex

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

2013 Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg by July. first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain

2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on

2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.

2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR

2016 Feb., started dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday 2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg

2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, 2/13--0.13mg, 2/20--0.06mg, 3/18--0.13mg, 6/1--0.12mg, 7/6--0.1mg, 7/14--0.08mg, 8/17--0.04mg, 8/20--0.03mg, 8/28--0.02mg, 9/6--0.0205mg, 9/8--0.02mg, 9/17--0.015mg, 9/20--0.01mg, 9/21--0.0048mg, 9/22--0.0001mg,

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Lex, sorry I have not been on here in ages. Let me know how you are doing.

My SSRI taper failed badly.. I did a liquid titration but after the first super small cut I got so ill I had to throw in the towel.

I am positiive my Benzo WD is affecting my ability to taper the SSRI.

I am 2 years 5 months off my Benzo and I still have much healing to do. I still can not drive yet. There is no way to describe the hell I went through getting off my Benzo, one can only read my blog.. makes me nauseous to even think of it. I am a pretty big tough SOB but that brought me to my knees, to the edge of my sanity. I have no idea how the hell I am still alive.

This is where I am at:

I get very sick after taking my SSRI, night after night, week after week. I get a day here and there where it magically does not affect me. It hits hard and peaks around 2-3 hours after the dose.

I am certain I am not healed from my Benzo which is obviously causing odd issues. I have major food sensitivities I never had before. For example sugar.. Exercise is also a big NO NO as it drives my brain into chaotic storms.

I want off the SSRI but I'm not even sure its possible right now. Honestly sometimes after taking it its like getting hit by a mac truck!! Serious head pressure and a storm feeling that leaves my crippled. It reduces my thinking to a child, very distorted and painful. Once the brain storm clears it feels like my brain is reduced to cinders, its horrible.

Put up with 2-4 hours horrible illness everyday or try and get off? Yikes... Wonderful set of options there.

Unreal situation this is.. To top it off my father is 92 and I have no idea how I will deal with his passing. The timing for all this sucks.

Fonz

Hi Fonz,

Thank you for responding and sharing your experience! I'm very sorry you are still struggling! You described it so well the how experience these poisons put us into, and how you feel after each dose is what I fell too exactly. And yes, I always wonder how I'm still Here. Guess no matter how dead and miserable these drugs makes you feel, it doesn't kill you quick.

So are you still on the same dose of lex, 5mg? I have some better news about what I did about my resistance to this evil drug and how it worked. After a few weeks of holding on the same dose feeling more and more difficulty to take each tiny drop over 12 more hours each day, I decided to speed up the taper. So I am now at 2.9 mg down from 3.2 mg in 6 weeks after several cuts. It turned out each cut made things better in terms of drug reaction although it also brought up some WD symptoms. So dancing with the dosage following my body's reaction walked me through those weeks not having to cold turkey or switch drugs.

You mentioned you can't drive. I felt same when the drug reaction was bad with DR, dizziness and dead brain, but cutting dose actually. Helps with those symptoms even the Othere symptoms like super bad pins and needles etc it brings up are true tortures.

I'm also doing 1% cut each time as that's how much I can tolerate. Taking 12 hours for the daily dose is another big help to reduce the severe reaction. Oh, I also switched to have most part later day as it seems easier to take in evening.

do you still experience the same amount of dose reaction as last step.? Is it better or worse now? When do you take your dose?

I hope we can find out a way to move on to continue tapering as theses drugs now are true poisons to our body and we have no other options but get rid off of it.

Lex

Drug free Sep. 23 2017