alexjuice

Hobbies

alaskamom

My hobbies are exercise, especially since withdrawal hit. Yoga on bad days where I am tired. I knit when I have the motivation. I read when I need to be alone and watch TV when I am lonely. I used to enjoy baking and cooking but it is too stressful and too much work. My DH likes to bake breads and stuff when he is bored. He reads military, history or biographies too. He hunts when he can but that is a big cost and big energy investment.

LoveandLight

Cannot read at all just now and I miss it.

MatGMax

Hi Joannad,

I cannot read like I used to.

In my case I'm blaming addictive iphones and short articles.

I don't seem to have the patience to commit to a book anymore.

Though maybe it is the SSRIs.

Did you find the magnesium citrate helped you ? I take it but I haven't noticed much of a change.

Good luck!

Cheers

Damien

LoveandLight

No magnesium for me - severe depression on it

fefesmom

Knitting blankets for cats in shelters, walking, coloring in books with flowers, hearts, cats and other designs with colored pencils and thin-tipped markers, puttering around the house, breathing with awareness (meditating?), eating when I’m hungry. I started a list of  things that make life worth living and these are on it so far. Hobbies? Maybe. I’ve enjoyed reading all your posts on this.

chicken

After watching Extreme Couponing, I decided to get into it.

I started a few days ago and found some great deals and super couponed it. I got some free dog food and cheap laundry detergent.

I got started with this site, http://www.southernsavers.com/

She has tuturials to get you started.

Might be a helpful hobby for some who wish to save some money.

Iamfine

Before I got ill I was very athletic. I bicycled 200+ miles a week. I ran 20 miles a week. I took a trip to the Colorado mountains every summer and mountain biked. I snow ski'ed, I wake boarded. I have owned 24 motorcycles in my life. All of that went away after I got ill. 12 years later and 60 lb's heavier I finally tapered off enough of my drugs to start running again, although still very limited. I started running again about 4 months ago and it has been fantastic. I have lost 30 lb's and feel so much better physically. I am very far from where I was and my interests are still limited but I am finally back on the right path.

LostInTheWoods

I own a betta fish and he gives to me way more than I need to keep him, lifting my mood when I'm down. This page describes well the joy of the hobby (although I don't advocate keeping them in bowls) and this page also writes about their features while offering much better photos and advices of how to take care of them. The low maintenance is key for me, since past the initial investment in a 5 gal equiiped tank, the only duties are to feed him and do a water change sporadically (less than 20 minutes a week), so if I don't feel well he can hang around on his own and when I'm feeling like it I can give him extra treats. These summer days I have gone to some nearby old fountains where rainwater accumulates in order to gather some live mosquite larvae which he preys on, which gives me a walk and something to do on sunday. Anytime I'm home I can watch him and see how he comes to the glass and stares at me too and sometimes flares. Overall, heavily recommended for those who look for a hobby that brings a little routine but can be done even with low energy or mood.

eiledon20

It's encouraging to read stories of hope and recovery from time to time.

I love to go swimming 3x a week before. I listen to music and collect cds and some vinyl. Now all i can listen to much of the time is the ipod. Slowly enjoying it as the night time comes. Incidentally i take my current 25mg pristiq at night. Does it mean something? Im better as the drug is fading im my body? Dont know really...

Someone advised me not to overthink my illness...

Now i have a hard time going to the pool. Darn this meds. But on days that my K dose is very low, i have some energy and swim to lift me up. I hope my tapering would be succesfull.

Iamfine

Swimming is great, I love swimming. Especially in the winter in our heated rec center pool. Theres just something fun about swimming when it's freezing outside.

Marta

Before all:  reading a lot, not very athletic but always exercised, loved swimming, crafting a lot.

After: reading a book is very hard not so easy to concentrate, play electric guitar (sometimes, but I'm not so enthusiastic), laying in bed reading scientific articles about mental health or generic ilness (i have to stop this cause is too depressing)

eiledon20

I find it hard to do many things outside while experiencing mild withdrawal like fatigue.

Just bike 30mins arnd the neighborhood arnd 5pm. I dunno why i have more energy as the day passes. Mornings like to stay in bed and listen to music or read.

eiledon20

Enjoying music again. Could not do while i was in "deep depression" and more at ease than when i was in my full dose.

eiledon20

Watch a movie on my PC "Edge of Tomorrow".

Looks like the life ive been living for the past year. Wake up, eat, sleep. Rinse and repeat.