SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

daspin: Some advice please

daspin

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• daspin

• tezza

• Altostrata

• Petunia

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok. So it's possible the WD is causing this panic and anxiety today? And maybe it's not me relapsing? I am obviously suceptible to panic dice I had my first attack 10 weeks ago. But it would be nice to think this panic today is more WD than me.

Still staring at the syringe. Man I am so reluctant to reinstate. I just think maybe tomorrow is the day this all starts to get better. Argh!!!!

Lexapro 10MG - Taken for 4 Weeks starting Oct 2013

Pristiq 50MG - Took for one week starting Nov 2013

Quit Cold Turkey after total of 5 weeks Anti Depressants

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes.

And another clue is that CBT doesn't work to eliminate withdrawal related anxiety because its origin is physical, not mental.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Thank you!!! It's been weeks since I felt panic like this and I really thought the CBT was helping. Now I'm questioning everything tonight as I am jittery and panicky and depersonalized and more. A lot if the symptoms I had right after my panic attack.

Thanks for the assurance guys. You all have been so supportive. I made a donation to the site as I truly appreciate the support here.

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes. And another clue is that CBT doesn't work to eliminate withdrawal related anxiety because its origin is physical, not mental.

Not much works to alleviate any WD symptoms. Some things do help as noted in Signs and Symptoms but I haven't heard of anything that completely resolves the symptoms of WD, especially in the early days of WD.Thinking of you, D!
  • Moderator Emeritus

we all have to patient and gentle with ourselves.let go off guilt and accept things as they are.the sooner we accept and let go fighting,the sooner they will go away....

Did you read topics on reinstating,waves and windows pattern of recovery?I'm typing from my phone so can't copy the links but would warmly advise you to read them.Things will make a lot more sense.

Best,

bubble

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

Just read a blog from a doctor shipko. He basically says there's I may never recover from ssri damage and withdrawal. This is completely freaking me out. Especially since the last 4 days have been bad bad bad. Someone please give me some hope and good news to hang on to.

Link to his article.

http://www.madinamerica.com/2013/08/ssri-discontinuation-is-even-more-problematic-than-acknowledged/

• Moderator Emeritus

A lot of people were very upset by that article, but Dr. Shipko bases his opinions on some of his experiences with his very specific client base. There has been no research done to prove that withdrawal is permanent.

But more importantly, he is talking about people who have been on SSRI medication for 5+ years. You took them for 5 weeks.

Please read through the long comment section of that article and you will have a more balanced view of the issue.

You are going to recover.

If you focus on having a more positive outlook, realizing that most people recover completely, then it will eliminate the added fear which you are creating for yourself by imagining the worst possible scenario. I think in CBT this is called catastrophising. 

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Thanks Petu. It's difficult to remain positive. Especially when I am worse now then after the initial panic attack. Likely due to my obsessing and constant thinking and researching the situation. This issue of anxiety, panic and now drug discontinuation has consumed my every thought. I find it hard to think about anything else. This has been the worst time of my life by far and I just am so desperate to have my life back as this all came out of nowhere. I suppose I need to work on taking a back seat to it and realizing there's not a lot I can do. Maybe the best thing I can do is try and put not out if mind. Easier said than done though. I equate it to being asked to ignore someone punching you all day.

This week I will stay off the internet looking for constant answers and reassurance. This week I will make an effort to just deal with it without trying to "fix" it.

• Administrator

Yes, just deal with your symptoms and take care of yourself.

When you get a chance, putting your withdrawal history in your signature would be very helpful for those following your journey.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Well despite promising my psychologist that I would no longer post on boards or continuously search for answers and research etc, I can't help but want to come give a quick update.

It was been 22 days since I quit cold turkey after being on lexapro for 4 weeks and pristiq for one week.

I'd love to be able to say I feel good, but alas, not a lot has changed. I have alot more bad days than good. Some days I am bedridden. I still can't wrap my head around this being WD at this stage though. 5 weeks on AD, and after 3 weeks I still feel like I've been hit by a truck. No turning back on the cold turkey thing now though.

But to me 3 weeks with WD symptoms after the short time I took the drugs seems like a very log time and my rational side says it just can't be. Must be something else. But at the end of the day I'm just going off instinct. These boards here tell a different story. I wish I could find a success story of someone with similar situation but my search has turned up nothing.

The underlying issue of panic and anxiety that spring out of nowhere on m 3 months ago is very hard to deal with when it seems I am dealing with so much more. All these extra symptoms are either new symptoms relate ld onthr panic or WD still. All I know is I felt a hell of a lot better before ever being out on an ssri. I could have dealt with the panic attack aftermath through the therapy I pay a fortune for (with no coverage). But instead I feel as though I am wasting my money as the CBT can't help WD.

Anyways. I'll pop my head in from time time to keep this thread updated, so if by the grace of god I ever recover, I'll gladly help others who may be in similar troubles. At this point though, I can't anyone as I am still in a storm.

• Moderator Emeritus

At 22 days out, it isn't too late to reinstate a small dose of Lexapro.  I don't have a clue as to how much to advise reinstating without knowing the dose you were on however, so please add your drug history to your signature ( How to Add Your Drug History to Your Signature).

Here's a topic on reinstatement:

About Reinstating and Stabilizing

It's quite possible that you're especially sensitive to SSRI (Lexapro) and SNRI (Pristiq) antidepressants, so you may be going through withdrawal just as if you'd been taking those drugs for a much longer time period.  I can know for sure, but some people do have a very bad reaction to being on them only a short time and you may be one of those people.

It seems your therapist isn't familiar with antidepressant withdrawal syndrome.  I doubt that making promises is going to keep you from focusing on and researching your symptoms.  That's something that nearly all of us have done, at least in early withdrawal.  Personally, I spent hours on the computer and a fortune on supplements and books that I thought had even a small chance of helping. The supplements mere mostly a waste, except for fish oil and magnesium (see the 'Symptoms and self-care' discussion area for the specifics on those two), and while the books didn't alleviate any symptoms, they were reassuring (Anatomy of an Epidemic by Robert Whitaker and Dying for a Cure by Rebekah Beddoe are two of the best, IMO).

A number of our members have tried CBT, and while it doesn't seem to help withdrawal symptoms, it can be useful for handling episodes of anxiety and depression that aren't withdrawal related.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

Thanks Jemima. The CBT I am doing is not meant for the withdrawal. It's to help me deal with the initial symptoms that started Sept 13. I had a panic attack and then due to obsessing about it I turned it into a full anxiety disorder. It's all I think about and consume all my time trying to figure out. I am my own worst enemy. I bought and read several books, and spent countless hours reading online. This whole AD WD thing is a whole other matter.

Is there anybody here that has a success story with a similar story to mine? 5 weeks of AD, and I'm still having WD? Really? I certainly do not want to reinstate. I felt like crap while on the drug as well. I never stabilized on it, so reinstating doesnt seem like a good idea for me.

Can someone please help me understand how only 5 weeks of AD can cause such long WD (Assuming it's WD?) I am assuming it is in part.

In the end, I suppose it doesn't matter. I have to deal with it regardless, so I might as well stop worrying and obsessing over it. I imagine I will heal over time, but Sheesh, gimme a ballpark here..LOL

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for adding your drug history, Daspin.

No one knows why some people are more sensitive to antidepressants than others, and likewise, no one knows how long it will take for any individual to get through withdrawal. There are some success stories here on our site ( Recovery Success Stories ), but I doubt you'll find a situation just like your own. You may also find some similar stories about adverse reactions to antidepressants in the 'Introductions and updates' discussion area, but again, no one's story will be just like yours. Your story isn't finished for one thing, but rest assured that people do recover from antidepressant withdrawal syndrome, each in their own way, and the best medicines are time and patience.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

Well spoke to another doctor yesterday who says "it's all in my head". I have seen an improvement in the nausea and anxiety/panic. But still living in a fog all day. Almost depersonalization bu not quite. And the waking up at 3 am thing and not bein able to go back to sleep. That's dreadful. You guys told me it's a common WD symptom. But does it go away? I used to sleep 8-9 hours a night like clockwork. Never had sleeping problems until coming off the AD. Does this generally resolve? I looked around and saw posts for suggestions on how to deal with it but haven't found any sources saying it's resolves.

• Administrator

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

I experience waking up at around 3 am and not being able to sleep or having a difficult time getting back to sleep when I am tapering Lexapro. It was worse when I first started tapering about a year ago because I had never had a hard time sleeping before.

It was startling and just made falling asleep all the more difficult because I would worry about not being able to fall back asleep!!

Now that I know that when I  make a cut that I am going to wake up a few nights in a row , and maybe one night a week later I tend to just fall back asleep.

Sometimes that isn't the case… and I just get up, read a little bit, eat something and within 20 minutes or so am ready to go back to bed.

Hope this helps.

RU

ps. Oh…. yes it resolves itself. Everyone is different and even each time I taper it can be different but for me it's never lasted for more than a week and at most a sporadic night or two the following weeks… then back to normal.

Fall 1995 xanax, zoloft. switched to Serzone

1996- spring 2003serzone/ xanax/ lightbox.

b]Fall 2003- Fall 2004? Lexapro 10 mg. Light box /4 mg. xanax.[/b]

2004 - Fall of 2009 10 mg Lex, 150 mg Wellbutrin XL % 4 mg xanax

November 2009- Sept. 2011 10 mg lex., 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax [/b

Sept.2012- July 2012 20 mg Lex 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax

My mantra " go slow & with the flow "

3/2/13.. Began equal dosing 5 Xs /day xanax, while simultaneously incorporating a 2.5 % drop ( from 3.5 mg/day to 3.4 mg/day)

4/6/13 dropped from 300 mg. Wellbutrin XL to 150 mg. Difficult but DONE! Down to 3.3 mg xanax/ day / 6/10/13 3 mg xanax/day; 7/15/2013 2.88mg xanax/day.

10/ 1/2013...... 2.5 mg xanax… ( switched to tablets again) WOO HOO!!!!!! Holding here… cont. with Lexapro.

1/ 2/2014.. tapered to 18mg ( by weight) of a 26 mg ( by weight) pill of 20 mg tab. lexapro. goal is 13mg (by weight OR 10 mg by ingredient content) and STOPPED. Feeling very down with unbalanced, unpredictable WD symptoms.

1/2/2014- ??? Taking a brain-healing break from tapering anything after actively tapering something for 1.5 years. So… daily doses as of 2/2/2014: 18 mg by weight Lex, 150 mg Well. XL, 2.5 mg xanax, down from 26 mg by weight Lex., 300 mg well. XL, 4 mg xanax in August, 2012. I'll take it. :) 5/8/14 started equivalent dose liquid./ tabs. 5/13/14 1.5 % cut.

Thanks for the response guys. One day at a time. I appreciate the support.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi D,

I still wake anywhere from 4--6:30am and I have broken sleep as many, here, report. It does get better with time. I don't wake at exactly 4:20 am in a full-blown panic attack, as though I'd been startled awake.

When that was happening, I started going to bed earlier so I could get more hours. Keeping my bedroom very cool helps me, too.