Immediate adverse reactions to an antidepressant or within a few doses? How long for recovery?

Altostrata

17 minutes ago, StarShopping87 said:

I found the update!! So glad to hear you’re feeling better! I had a severe immediate reaction so this definitely gives me hope of healing. 

You'll get there, I have talked to quite a few people who had immediate severe reactions who recovered too.  

I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions.

Hello, my son (11 years old) is having severe adverse reactions few weeks after taking fluoxetine (prozac)- nightmares, nausea, dizziness. He has never had any other psych drug or alcohol, of course. His doctor said to stop taking the drug immediately, but it's not getting better yet and I started to worry we shouldn't have cold turkeyed. So now, besides the depressions, he probably wouldn't be able to do any sports or go out without risk fainting. I really hate these drugs- I think that if he would have done coke or meth it wouldn't ended as bad as this :(

admike's Intro topic  and admike's drug history

Cipralex (lexapro) 2009-2009

Velaxin 75mg XR (venlafaxine, effexor) 2009-now

anxiety got worse during treatement

cold turkey 2019, reinstated after 4 days, developed persisting tinnitus

tapering since 2019 (current dosage about 15mg) 

• 3 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, rebeccaannxo said:

I had a severe adverse reaction to Lexapro 7 months ago. I’m still physically debilitated and housebound daily, unable to live my life at all. Has anyone else dealt with severe body weakness? I can’t sit, stand or walk for long without needing to sit, just the thought of leaving my house terrifies me with all of my symptoms and how sick I am. I’ve yet to find a post with someone who has had trouble to stand or walk due to weakness.

Hi @rebeccaannxoI have dealt with weakness for 18 months, particularly my left leg & foot and my arms & hands. I have struggled to walk, lift my daughter or chase her at the park. I know how scary it is dealing with weakness but from what I have read on here, it is a common WD symptom. Sorry you are going through this. I hope a window opens for you soon. 💞

Mid-August 2020 - started 15mg Mirtazapine, increased to 30mg 2 weeks later. Late-September 2020 - switched to 20mg Paroxetine as Mirtazapine exacerbated RLS. October 2020 - stopped Paroxetine because of worsening RLS, muscle twitching and general restlessness.

Mid-October 2020 - Switched to 50mg Sertraline. Restlessness, muscle twitching and other symptoms even worse. Stopped taking it on 18 November following advice from GP - took every other day for a week before stopping completely. Mid-November 2020 - GP prescribed Propranolol to take as and when required for anxiety. Have only taken a few times as it makes me very light headed. January 2020 - currently taking magnesium citrate powder in evenings to help with RLS. Also taking high strength omega-3 fish oil. 

21 hours ago, rebeccaannxo said:

I had a severe adverse reaction to Lexapro 7 months ago. I’m still physically debilitated and housebound daily, unable to live my life at all. Has anyone else dealt with severe body weakness? I can’t sit, stand or walk for long without needing to sit, just the thought of leaving my house terrifies me with all of my symptoms and how sick I am. I’ve yet to find a post with someone who has had trouble to stand or walk due to weakness.

What dosage was it, and was it your first time on Lexapro? How did the symptoms first come on? Was it solely body weakness, or were there other neurological and physical components? 

Have you gotten any testing done, any blood work, scans, etc? I took a very high dosage of Lexapro for years, and when I tried reinstating after a cold turkey, I got many adverse problems, including body weakness, which I still have, albeit not as severe.

Have you been tested for COVID?

Risperdal 2012

Lexapro 2013-2020

30mg Lexapro from 2016-2020

30mg cold turkey in June 2020 due to issues with APRN

Re-instatement of 10mg of Lexapro in late September 2020 due to panic attack

Cold turkey 10mg Lexapro early October 2020 due to sudden health problems possibly caused by Lexapro

Now taking 20mg of Lisinopril. Stopped iron supplement over the counter for low iron due to feeling sick while taking it. Taking a vitamin D supplement alongside the Lisinopril.

1 hour ago, rebeccaannxo said:

It was my first time on any medication, I had a 10mg dose. I had about 30-40 neurological symptoms. Completely bed ridden for 8 weeks and now housebound ever since. Went to ER twice and had numerous tests done and blood work about 4 times. It was just a VERY severe adverse reaction. 

no I do not have Covid, I had it in January but my Lexapro issues started in October. 

Have doctors actually said it was an adverse reaction, or are you guessing that Lexapro was the cause? How sudden was it when you started taking it, within the first few days?

Risperdal 2012

Lexapro 2013-2020

Cold turkey 10mg Lexapro early October 2020 due to sudden health problems possibly caused by Lexapro

Now taking 20mg of Lisinopril. Stopped iron supplement over the counter for low iron due to feeling sick while taking it. Taking a vitamin D supplement alongside the Lisinopril.

25 minutes ago, rebeccaannxo said:

Yes it’s from the Lexapro. It started after the second pill. Do a search on adverse reactions on this site before you feel the need to question what someone is going through. 

Considering I've posted on here because of possibly having a severe reaction to getting back on Lexapro, you don't need to be condescending to me. I'm asking because I'm curious.

Being rude to people isn't going to make your issues go away, especially on a forum of people in the same, if not worse situations than you.

Risperdal 2012

Lexapro 2013-2020

• Moderator Emeritus
3 hours ago, rilexapro said:

Have doctors actually said it was an adverse reaction, or are you guessing that Lexapro was the cause?

There are not many medical professionals that seem to be able to diagnose adverse reactions to psychiatric drugs, which is one of the reasons why this site and other like it exist.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

2 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

There are not many medical professionals that seem to be able to diagnose adverse reactions to psychiatric drugs, which is one of the reasons why this site and other like it exist.

That's true. I thought maybe they were lucky and had a doctor more knowledgeable in this sort of thing.

Risperdal 2012

Lexapro 2013-2020

23 hours ago, rebeccaannxo said:

It was my first time on any medication, I had a 10mg dose. I had about 30-40 neurological symptoms. Completely bed ridden for 8 weeks and now housebound ever since. Went to ER twice and had numerous tests done and blood work about 4 times. It was just a VERY severe adverse reaction. 

no I do not have Covid, I had it in January but my Lexapro issues started in October. 

I have it too, also have issues with food causing pain in my limbs now

- 10 mg lexparo 1.5 years

- ativan for panic 0.5 , never more than once daily and not everyday for 4 years.

-cold turkeyed in June 5 of 2021.

Buspar a few days and had severe muscle pain. July 26, 27, then 30 of 2021.

On 5/12/2022 at 3:28 AM, rilexapro said:

Considering I've posted on here because of possibly having a severe reaction to getting back on Lexapro, you don't need to be condescending to me. I'm asking because I'm curious.

I don’t think your case sounds like the type of instant adverse reaction that this thread is referring to.  This is a body of people who only have very fleeting involvement with antidepressants, and suffered more or less immediate negative consequences.  

Your medication history is longer term, including 2 attempts at cold turkey.  Maybe lexipro is causing the issues you are dealing with, and we know these tablets can cause both health issues and long term withdrawal symptoms, but it isn’t an immediate adverse reaction. 

I only make the distinction because I see a lot of people saying they had an immediate adverse event and have not recovered, when their drug history is a lot more complex than that.   It scares newbies who have had an immediate AR and think they too will not heal.  

Genuine immediate AR has followed a fairly similar path to full recovery in everyone I have spoken with who has suffered one.

March 2003 took two sartroline tablets after a traumatic incident and had a reaction so stopped.  I am not sure now whether what I had for the next 18 months was WD after the reaction or the emotional fallout from the traumatic event.  Some of it was very similar to WD in hindsight.  

February 2014 - Took five pristiq (50mg) tablets and three Ativan and had a severe reaction.
Extreme withdrawal symptoms for three weeks compounded by visit to naturopath -

One week later took 900mg St John's Wort x 3 daily for six weeks - more negative effects and suspected serotonin syndrome - before tapering over three weeks. Last tablet late May 2014.

Waves and windows cycle of recovery with longer windows and manageable waves.

May 2015 - already in a mild wave, following a usual pattern, I took clarithromicin and amoxicillin for two weeks for a sinus infection which I also seem to have had quite a reaction to.

February 2016 - Feeling much better.  I still have waves and windows but they are manageable.  I'm largely enjoying life again.

7 minutes ago, rebeccaannxo said:

Has anyone on this topic fully recover from their adverse reaction? 

Hi there, I have fully recovered now. I had ADR from sertraline in 2018.

January 2018 - 50mg sertraline for only 2 days, had adverse reaction.

On 0 psych drugs now.

Took a very long time for symptoms to go away, got better mentally 100% in April 2020.

Turns out also had low vitamin d, low calcium and low thyroid in August 2020.

Treated with colecalciferol and now all physical symptoms gone. Possibly overlap between this issue & sertraline symptoms?

May 2021 Still taking colecalciferol, all physical symptoms gone. Unsure if this will return if I stop vit D for long time ?

Now consider myself fully healed.

Other medication: 5mg certirizine for allergic rhinitis once a day or when needed, cut down from 10mg just in case that was causing issue too since i've taken for over 8 years now.

FULLY RECOVERED NOW 🙂

@Farout

I hope I was able to see anyone who recovered from adrs ...from a simple pills. 😢it seems iam. Getting worse

15 June ,buspar 5mg 9pm

16 June, cipralex 10mg , buspar 5mg

17 June, cipralex 10mg, buspar 5mg

18 June, cipralex 10mg, buspar 5mg

19 June zero dose

@HopefulDawnhello bro

Did you suffer from dpdr,  memory loss, emotional blunting and severe body weakness,  GI problems and pain 

15 June ,buspar 5mg 9pm

16 June, cipralex 10mg , buspar 5mg

17 June, cipralex 10mg, buspar 5mg

18 June, cipralex 10mg, buspar 5mg

19 June zero dose

1 minute ago, arielS said:

@HopefulDawnhello bro

Did you suffer from dpdr,  memory loss, emotional blunting and severe body weakness,  GI problems and pain 

Yes, I did not have memory loss as such; I had more difficulty in thinking and brain fog but my memory wasn't impaired. I definately had dpdr, emotional blunting and body weakness; I did have GI problems which I no longer have and I was told it was IBS and that lasted quite a long time, I didn't connect it to the SSRIs but maybe it is related somehow? The drdp took the longest and body weakness came and went for a long time. I still sometimes get fatigue in my body but I think there may be some other reason though when I took the SSRI the fatigue I got afterwards was waaayyy greater than what I get now. I had pain in my skin and pain that I couldn't really place but it hurt more if I moved too quickly, especially if I turned my head quickly or my arms and body. I do not know what that was but I also felt distress if I moved too fast though I don't know why.

I will link my introduction because most of it is in there; I hope that it might help somewhat

On 0 psych drugs now.

Took a very long time for symptoms to go away, got better mentally 100% in April 2020.

Treated with colecalciferol and now all physical symptoms gone. Possibly overlap between this issue & sertraline symptoms?

May 2021 Still taking colecalciferol, all physical symptoms gone. Unsure if this will return if I stop vit D for long time ?

Other medication: 5mg certirizine for allergic rhinitis once a day or when needed, cut down from 10mg just in case that was causing issue too since i've taken for over 8 years now.

FULLY RECOVERED NOW 🙂

8 hours ago, rebeccaannxo said:

I have.  

March 2003 took two sartroline tablets after a traumatic incident and had a reaction so stopped.  I am not sure now whether what I had for the next 18 months was WD after the reaction or the emotional fallout from the traumatic event.  Some of it was very similar to WD in hindsight.  

February 2014 - Took five pristiq (50mg) tablets and three Ativan and had a severe reaction.
Extreme withdrawal symptoms for three weeks compounded by visit to naturopath -

One week later took 900mg St John's Wort x 3 daily for six weeks - more negative effects and suspected serotonin syndrome - before tapering over three weeks. Last tablet late May 2014.

Waves and windows cycle of recovery with longer windows and manageable waves.

May 2015 - already in a mild wave, following a usual pattern, I took clarithromicin and amoxicillin for two weeks for a sinus infection which I also seem to have had quite a reaction to.

February 2016 - Feeling much better.  I still have waves and windows but they are manageable.  I'm largely enjoying life again.

8 hours ago, rebeccaannxo said:

I have

Was on Lexapro for 66 days starting in early January.  5mg for a week, 10mg for 3, 7.5 for 3 days, then 5mg and 2.5mg for approx two weeks after.  

Was on Lithium for 60 days starting in late January. 1 300mg ER pill a day.  Stopped CT

Was given a .5 ativan script in early Jan.  Took it maybe 20x total from early Jan to beg of June, 2020.

-Fall of 2019:  had two vertigo attacks for the first time with no warning, each followed by 4-5 days of morning dizziness.

-Last Friday of 2019:  had first ever, out of the blue, panic attack.  Went to ER- didn't know what was happening.  Was diagnosed w/GAD, even though had never had anxiety or depression problems before.  Basically no health problems at all prior to this, and in very good shape emotionally, physically, and mentally.

-4 days after panic attack given lexapro.  That's when the hell began.  Was on it 66 days.  Reacted badly to it.  Gave me suicidal ideation 4 wks after starting it, plus exhaustion, off the charts anxiety, dizziness, and fatigue.  Did a fast taper over 5 wks.  Was on it 66 days total.

-been off lexapro completely since mid-March, 2020.  First 3 weeks I got better and better.  Then, week 4 into WD got slammed.  Since then, over 64 side effects/symptoms.  Can't drive.  At times, barely surviving.

-since Jan., have been to the e r 16x.

-was given lithium after experienced SI from lexapro to as a "mood stabilizer".  Never really noticed anything from it, nor anything after stopping it, except for a few days of heightened depression about a week after.

-was given low dosage ativan script 2nd week into lexapro to deal with the anxiety/panic spike caused by the lexapro.  Took it perhaps 20x between Jan and June, 2020.  Always made me feel better, but last time it was taken (early June) experienced intrusive thoughts after so stopped it.  Didn't feel any negative reaction from stopping it, perhaps b/c it was taken so infrequently and the dosage was so low. 

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, rebeccaannxo said:

Nearly 9 months after my adverse reaction and sooo terribly sick. Still housebound everyday, still can’t work or drive or even walk down the driveway. Some days I’m bed bound. When does this hell get better? 

Have you had any testing done by doctors?

Risperdal 2012

Lexapro 2013-2020

6 minutes ago, rebeccaannxo said:

Yes I have, numerous tests. All came back normal. Adverse reactions can last 18-24 months, some sooner. It’s so discouraging being this sick still at 9 months 

Have you had any blood work like an ANA screening? I recently had it come back positive. antinuclear antibodies attack the healthy parts of the nervous system from what I read, which can explain my symptoms. I'm not sure if Lexapro can do that, though, but I had recently been back on Lexapro after a cold turkey of it a few months before.

Risperdal 2012

Lexapro 2013-2020

• 5 months later...

Same with me, I had all sorts of tests and it all came back normal. Recently had an appendectomy and did all the tests again, all normal.

As Alto mentioned, these reactions are simply not diagnosed, not studied, invisible. I believe that if I had stayed off meds I would be fine by now, unfortunately it all led to a pharmacological cascade that, of course, you guessed it, only made me worse.

Now I am left to taper Mirtazapine, I'd say I'm improving 2.5% to 5% a month, it's something but, man, is it slow.

December 2021 - Metoclopramide started. Akathisia symptoms start; Metoclopramide gets changed to PRN.

March 2022 - Akathisia diagnosed; Metoclopramide stopped; Propranolol 10mg x twice a day. Biperiden PRN (0.5mg to 1mg).

April 2022 - Tandospirone 30mg (10mg 3x day), Quetiapine 25mg (only taken once, immediate adr). Mirtazapine 7.5mg. . Discontinued Propranolol.

May 2022 - Mirtazapine upped to 15mg. Tandospirone cut to 2x 10mg. Low dose Depakote for the month; 100 to 200 to 100 to 0. Mirtazapine cut back to 11.75mg (3/4 of a 15mg pill).
June 2022 - Mirtazapine updose to 15mg. Tandospirone, Biperiden discontinued. Klonopin started PRN (0.5mg). 
September 2022 - Akathisia slowly starts improving, WD/ADR normal sets in in mid September. Hold for 4 months.
March 2023 - Off mirtazapine; no Klonopin for 5 months either! Started quercetin (250mg x 2) to soften the histamine rebound.

May 2023 - Stopped quercetin and changed from magnesium carbonate to oxide - reacted badly. Reverted back to carbonate. 
June 2023 - Added fish oil.
Current regimen: CALM Magnesium (Carbonate into Citrate) 175mg x2; Vitamin E 268mg x2; Fish oil (100mg Omega3; EPA 30mg; DHA 37mg)x2
Intro thread: 
https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/27095-portuguesesea-metoclopramide-akathisia-and-mirtazapine/

• 1 month later...

I was given Droperidol in a migraine cocktail in the ER .. it is a 1st generation antipsychotic.. I was given a larger dose and it was pushed fast . My life has fallen apart since then …. All the symptoms of PAWS … is it possible after one use of this drug I could be experiencing PAWS? 

• 1 month later...
On 2/1/2023 at 5:27 PM, Mejia1980 said:

I was given Droperidol in a migraine cocktail in the ER .. it is a 1st generation antipsychotic.. I was given a larger dose and it was pushed fast . My life has fallen apart since then …. All the symptoms of PAWS … is it possible after one use of this drug I could be experiencing PAWS? 

I feel like there is such a thing like PAWS even after one use, i've never taken an antipsychotic but I was thinking to myself I seemed to have PAWS. I think it is probable imo

On 0 psych drugs now.

FULLY RECOVERED NOW 🙂

• 2 months later...

Is there anyone like me? Who only took ONE pill before coming down with a list of physical symptoms? None of my symptoms are mental (e.g. depression, anxiety, panic attacks, agoraphobia). I was prescribed the antidepressant to help with weight loss following major surgery. I'm 3.5 months off and my most major symptoms are insomnia, food intolerances, ectopic heartbeat, uncomfortable gas in the stomach, persistent acne and hairloss etc.

Jan 29, 2023 - Took my one and only dose of Mirtazapine (15 mg). Developed an immediate adverse reaction with list of withdrawal-like symptoms.

That is insane! I'm so sorry, these drugs are pure poison, the worst life taker! 

I know someone who was highly brain damaged after only 1 pill of 10mg Lexapro 

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

2009 Mar.: lexapro 10mg for headache for 2 weeks.

2009-2012: on and off 1/4 to 1/3 of 10mg

2012 June--2013 Jan,: 1/4-1/3 of 10mg generic, bad jaw pain

2013 Jan-Mar: 10 mg generic. severe jaw and head pain;

2013 Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg by July. first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain

2013 Aug.: back to 2.75 mg; Nov: back to Brand Lex. 2.75mg -- 3mg,

2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on

2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.

2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR

2016 Feb., started dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday 2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg

2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, 2/13--0.13mg, 2/20--0.06mg, 3/18--0.13mg, 6/1--0.12mg, 7/6--0.1mg, 7/14--0.08mg, 8/17--0.04mg, 8/20--0.03mg, 8/28--0.02mg, 9/6--0.0205mg, 9/8--0.02mg, 9/17--0.015mg, 9/20--0.01mg, 9/21--0.0048mg, 9/22--0.0001mg,

1 minute ago, LexAnger said:

That is insane! I'm so sorry, these drugs are pure poison, the worst life taker! 

I know someone who was highly brain damaged after only 1 pill of 10mg Lexapro 

How were they brain damaged? Did it come up on a brain MRI? What proved brain damage?

Risperdal 2012

Lexapro 2013-2020

@rilexapro would severe insomnia count as brain damage? I only took ONE pill. After that, I couldn't sleep a wink for 8 days. Yes, total insomnia of 0 hour sleep. Then I began to sleep 2-3 hours for 8 weeks. No matter how tired I was, no matter how much I was yawning, my brain simply refused to shut down for more than 2-3 hours every night to let me sleep. My brain certainly wasn't functioning like it used to, or should be. Even now, though I am sleeping better, I am waking up 4-5 times a night. Before this, I would sleep 8 hours continuously without a problem.

Jan 29, 2023 - Took my one and only dose of Mirtazapine (15 mg). Developed an immediate adverse reaction with list of withdrawal-like symptoms.

3 hours ago, rilexapro said:

How were they brain damaged? Did it come up on a brain MRI? What proved brain damage?

His head started jerking, lost ability to talk, walk etc the next day, was diagnosed with brain damage. 

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

2009 Mar.: lexapro 10mg for headache for 2 weeks.

2009-2012: on and off 1/4 to 1/3 of 10mg

2012 June--2013 Jan,: 1/4-1/3 of 10mg generic, bad jaw pain

2013 Jan-Mar: 10 mg generic. severe jaw and head pain;

2013 Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg by July. first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain

2013 Aug.: back to 2.75 mg; Nov: back to Brand Lex. 2.75mg -- 3mg,

2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on

2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.

2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR

2016 Feb., started dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday 2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg

2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, 2/13--0.13mg, 2/20--0.06mg, 3/18--0.13mg, 6/1--0.12mg, 7/6--0.1mg, 7/14--0.08mg, 8/17--0.04mg, 8/20--0.03mg, 8/28--0.02mg, 9/6--0.0205mg, 9/8--0.02mg, 9/17--0.015mg, 9/20--0.01mg, 9/21--0.0048mg, 9/22--0.0001mg,

Do most people take years to recover from an immediate adverse reaction to a few pills? Reading some of the success stories give me anxiety. I only took ONE pill. All my symptoms are physical. I don't have mental or emotional ones. I also don't have much history of pyschotrophic drug use. Surely, I can't be so damaged as to take several years to recover?

Adverse reactions tend to recover faster than full blown withdrawal, but there really is no telling how long it will take.

Make sure to cut out alcohol, caffeine and don't take other drugs and it should be fine in time, but it will take time.

Duloxetine 2016/17 - 30/60mg/30mg, c/t, light WD.

Sertraline June 2019 50mg ADR

Clorazepate June 2019 20-15-10mg for 3 weeks then sparsely until 2022, 2 times per month max and very low dose (5mg)

Clorazepate Jan2022 10mg 5 days 2,5mg 2 days then off

Venlafaxine June 2019 75mg ADR, 17,5mg, titrated to 37,5mg

Venlafaxine Jan 2022 Covid, hard ADR on 37,5mg, reduced to 20mg ADR, tried ct, crash,

Venlafaxine 22Jan22 reinstated 9,4mg, too low/ 01Feb22- 12mg/ 12Feb- 11,25mg/ 16Feb- 11mg/ 20Feb- 10,8mg/ 24Feb22-10,575mg/ 16Mar22- 10,46mg/ 26Mar22- 10,35mg/ 26Apr22- 10mg/ 01Oct- 9,9mg/ 13Nov- 9,7mg

01Jan24-7,5mg

MAR24

Due to another sudden intolerance had to fast taper venlafaxine to 1,14mg 

Seems like all of this time I was in benzo withdrawal, because when I took it now in desperation to help it made me feel worse, tried reinstatement first 1mg, then 0,05mg both made me feel worse.

5 hours ago, Vasherr said:

Adverse reactions tend to recover faster than full blown withdrawal

Do you know anyone who recovered from immediate adverse reactions after a few pills? People took several years for a full recovery in the success stories of such cases here. That's not any shorter than some people who cold turkeyed after taking an antidepressant for 5-8 years.

5 hours ago, Chompoo said:

Do you know anyone who recovered from immediate adverse reactions after a few pills? People took several years for a full recovery in the success stories of such cases here. That's not any shorter than some people who cold turkeyed after taking an antidepressant for 5-8 years.

Time to recovery can vary greatly. There are definitely people who have had an adverse reaction to one or a few doses who have recovered in months, not years, and unfortunately there are also people who have taken much longer to recover.

The advise for adverse reactions is generally the same as for those in protracted withdrawal: focus on good nutrition, sleep, reduce stress, and be cautious with any supplementation.

The fact that people can experience similar symptoms from taking the medication as they can from discontinuing it shows that "withdrawal" is probably not withdrawal in the classical sense, but rather a syndrome of dysautonomia brought about by the stress of a too abrupt change in medication, or by the stress of a too potent dose of medication.

It's deplorable that doctors and researchers on the pharmaceutical industry are still not taking seriously the potential for serious adverse effects both from taking and discontinuing these medications.

I'm sorry you've suffered an adverse reaction. It is very difficult to be patient with these symptoms, which can shift and change over time and often take a very long time to go away. Do your best to focus on getting through each day and eventually you'll get there. I'm about 17 months out from an adverse reaction/cold turkey event and am gradually doing better. I hope recovery finds you too.

1998- Fluoxetine

2012- One dose of Escitalopram causes suicidal ideation. Started Venlafaxine. Successfully discontinued using a Fluoxetine bridge.

December 2021- 4 days of 5-HTP. Had some severe dysphoric symptoms trying to discontinue. Started Fluoxetine 10mg. Provided with five 1mg doses of Ativan as well.

January 6th- Continued to take Fluoxetine 10mg. Experienced deepened depression and suicidal ideation.

January 9th- 5mg dose. Experiencing deepened depression and suicidal ideation.

January 10th- Quit Fluoxerine CT

@Scrountz I am glad you are doing gradually better. I'm 3.5 months out and experiencing so many ups and downs in the windows and waves pattern of healing that I'm not sure if I'm healing. I'm still in shock how ONE pill has damaged me so much and that it could possibly take years to recover from this.

You are right, I think immediate adverse reactions could be due to " dysautonomia brought about by the stress of a too abrupt change in medication, or by the stress of a too potent dose of medication." That ONE dose of antidepressant made me non-functional for 2 days and that was why I stopped it. And my central nervous system went into another shock when I stepped off from such a powerful dose immediately.

I'm not surprised doctors ignore withdrawal effects, even when they are presented with the lived experience of sufferers among their own patients. Their toolkit only comprises of pills. There is no other way they know how to provide treatment for their patients. If they have no pills to prescribe, or they can no longer do so, they have to go out of business. It's much more convenient to ignore withdrawals and believe everything Big Pharma says. It certainly soothes their guilty conscience that they could have harmed their patients.

I am not impressed by the psychiatric profession and have lost trust in doctors after this traumatic experience.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/15/2023 at 6:23 AM, Chompoo said:

I knew someone who took one dose of an antidepressant and one dose of a benzo, and he had very severe reactions to both. He recovered in nine months.  

I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions.

@UnfoldingSky thank you for sharing. I need that hope. I'm 4 months post my ONE pill and still suffering a fair bit.

I know several cases from outside the forums and plenty of them recovered after between 6 to 9 months.

I am one of those longer lasting cases but I did suffer a compounded adverse reaction over time so I believe my recover will mostly resemble the withdrawal pattern.

December 2021 - Metoclopramide started. Akathisia symptoms start; Metoclopramide gets changed to PRN.

March 2022 - Akathisia diagnosed; Metoclopramide stopped; Propranolol 10mg x twice a day. Biperiden PRN (0.5mg to 1mg).

April 2022 - Tandospirone 30mg (10mg 3x day), Quetiapine 25mg (only taken once, immediate adr). Mirtazapine 7.5mg. . Discontinued Propranolol.

May 2022 - Mirtazapine upped to 15mg. Tandospirone cut to 2x 10mg. Low dose Depakote for the month; 100 to 200 to 100 to 0. Mirtazapine cut back to 11.75mg (3/4 of a 15mg pill).
June 2022 - Mirtazapine updose to 15mg. Tandospirone, Biperiden discontinued. Klonopin started PRN (0.5mg). 
September 2022 - Akathisia slowly starts improving, WD/ADR normal sets in in mid September. Hold for 4 months.
March 2023 - Off mirtazapine; no Klonopin for 5 months either! Started quercetin (250mg x 2) to soften the histamine rebound.

May 2023 - Stopped quercetin and changed from magnesium carbonate to oxide - reacted badly. Reverted back to carbonate. 
June 2023 - Added fish oil.
Current regimen: CALM Magnesium (Carbonate into Citrate) 175mg x2; Vitamin E 268mg x2; Fish oil (100mg Omega3; EPA 30mg; DHA 37mg)x2
Intro thread: 
https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/27095-portuguesesea-metoclopramide-akathisia-and-mirtazapine/

On 6/6/2023 at 9:38 PM, Chompoo said:

@UnfoldingSky thank you for sharing. I need that hope. I'm 4 months post my ONE pill and still suffering a fair bit.

I'm sorry you're suffering so.  Adverse reactions to psych drugs are not something I'd wish on anyone.  But I think you can recover in months rather than years.  Hold onto hope!  

@PortugueseSea I compared my recovery with those who cold turkeyed or did a fast taper. My timeline seems to match theirs. Those who did long tapers recover in 3 months or less. Adverse reactions seem to be brain injuries that can take a long time to heal.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy