Cookson

Immediate adverse reactions to SSRIs? How long for recovery?

Jamieandlexapro

Sorry my memory is bad, I was reinstated for 5 months from November last year until one month ago. I was bed ridden from November until January/feb.

NJJ

Just wondering if anyone has had a severe drug interaction while taking ADs and have similar symptoms to withdrawal? 

I have read that over time from long term antidepressant use people will eventually become a poor metabolisim (even if they have good liver enzymes which I got tested for) resulting in more adverse reactions/side effects. 

It has been two years since my drug interaction, still going through windows and waves but I I am no where near stabilized and I wonder if I ever will recover by staying on it. However tapering could make things worse. Catch 22. Any thoughts on this would be helpful. 

Meeto

Is there a difference between immediate adverse reactions, and side effects that one gets from initially taking a drug which doctors say will go away within a few weeks?

Hellbutrin
On 11/30/2013 at 8:04 PM, Barbarannamated said:

I didn't think Zoloft (or any SS/NRIs) were effecting me positively or negatively for a few years. I *coincidentally* discovered that i clench and grind my teeth (bruxism) shortly after beginning Zoloft. Developed SEVERE TMJ, neck and head pain that required extensive PT, orthodontia, and many drugs, including Klonopin for bruxism and, eventually, opiates for the pain.

I learned (about 5 years later) that SSRIs cause bruxism and were likely part of the cause of my pain and permanent disability. I'm off of the SS/NRIs after 15+ years, but still on Klonopin that was used for bruxism caused by SSRIs. May have been partially responsible for the connective tissue neck injury that was attributed to work injury.

It's hard to untangle it all now, but the bruxism definitely began after initiation of Zoloft.

Hi Barbarannamated,

You posted this 4 years ago, so I'm not sure if you still actively engage in the SA forum. I wanted to let you know that you are not alone with your TMJ struggles. I actually had Bruxism so bad from taking Wellbutrin that I dislocated my jaw and I have to have surgery next month to replace my TMJ. The psychological and physiological fall out from these drugs is not even remotely worth the benefits of the drug itself. How is your withdrawal recovery going with the exception of your TMJ issues since you've been off of the drugs for a few years now. 

kcs72

I'm in a bad way...I was a 4.0 grad student at the time of a panic attack which sent me to the doctor who rx'd Klonopin. I returned to him 1 mo later after learning it was a benzo for help getting off of it....He rx'd Lexapro. I'd taken it in the past with no issue but this time, first pill sent me into hysterics...I have not been right since mentally; was tried on several other meds...ct'd them all 11 mos ago and have never been more mentally unstable in my life...I've been almost total care; can't make decisions or do much self-care....terrified.

Waiting12
On 10/26/2016 at 2:50 AM, Laura1981 said:

I'm on a different site with many people with these immediate, catastrophic reactions. Most are at least significantly improved at the 4 year mark. 

Laura, what site is that?

Shar244
On 12/3/2015 at 1:08 AM, oskcajga said:

The most frustrating part of my experience with this condition is that it can be exacerbated and made like 3X worse than the original condition by the use of alcohol, drugs, or supplements.  I can imagine that something like something as common as general anesthesia for surgery would do the same thing.

I didn't read too many stories of exacerbation on the internet, so I try to share my own experience with this lesser acknowledged fact as much as I can with people - maybe I'll convince them to stay on the straight and narrow and not experiment with drugs for relief.

One might wonder:  why would anyone dare experiment with drugs?  Well - when everyone around you is doing that sort of thing, it's hard not to try drinking alchol or doing some mild recreational substances with them.  Not everyone who has this condition has the lifestyle luxury of a middle aged person who lives in a nice house and has occasional social engagements with their church going-middle/upper middle class buddies.  Some of us are struggling to make ends meet, in competitive environments where lots of young college aged people hang out and do what college aged-people do - stay up late, drink a lot, do some recreational substances, and get back at it the next day. 

That was also back when I was in serious denial of the severity of the symptoms - I was like "nahhhh I'm still functional mostly, I'm no where near as bad as those poor blokes on the internet" - well unfortunately as I discovered even a mild case of adverse reaction/withdrawal can be MADE into a VERY SERIOUS one overnight with a careless or unfortunate exposure to the incorrect substance. 

Can you elaborate on this please? 

BfromNJ

I believe this is happening to me with Luvox.  I am trying to see if there is a pattern when I take it.  such a small dose also, at only 25 mg.  I hope to start tapering this very shortly and get off of it.  If one is having an adverse reaction, is tapering still recommended?  If sucks because we are stuck with those adverse reactions for some time still while tapering.  :( 

Jordgoode21

I had an adverse reaction 18 days into Citalopram

I started to get vibrations throughout my body, Mainly in the chest heart and lung area, my feet and fingers

These got progressively worse, especially at night where it can feel like theres thumping going on in different parts of my body

I get muscle twitches and can feel my joints click alot now

Does it ever go away?

BfromNJ

so if one is having an adverse reaction, is it best to just stop it or can one still taper off to be safer? If i think i am having an adverse reaction, by staying it on it am a further messing myself up even more or is it okay to still taper? 

manymoretodays

What's your adverse reaction BfromNJ ?  Best to taper.

I did a number of CT's in my lengthy history with psychiatric medications.......and that sure didn't pay off very well.  I always wound up further medicated, often over medicated with many more.  And it's difficult to learn and practice non-drug coping skills when over medicated.   Or maybe,  I just became more dependent on my pills, rather than myself and the natural abilities I think we all have, to heal and be well.

So no......I don't think you are further messing yourself up by staying the course, learning all you can, and taking the slow, more harm free approach.

It does require a bit of time and patience but is well worth it, in my opinion anyway. B)

MadMason

Thanks for the reply to :Why I cannot take SRI, SSRIs etc. I now use a fentanyl patch 50 ug for sever pain from a spinal fusion, severe OA and DDD. I mentioned to a neurosurgeon that my feet burn and he said the MRI showed a lot of scar tissue and confirmed by EMG. He wrote me a 30 supply of amiltriptyline 25 mg and after a week I felt like I was losing me mind. Then I got hot all over, vomited, and experienced extreme insomnia. My brain was on fire. My wife took me to the ER where they said I had serotonin syndrome. They kept in observation and on Ativan and my Klonipin for two days. That was a week ago and my memory is slowly returning. I notified my pain doctor who said the doc that wrote that should have known better.

RenewedLife

I had an immediate adverse reaction to Prozac. Within 12 hours I couldn’t breathe, sit still, was shaking, and dry heaving for hours. I literally was clawing at my chest screaming because I wanted to crawl out of my skin. I took it three days total until I woke up one day wondering if life was worth living. It took me a couple of months to get better. That is when I was put on remeron in order to eat. It made me lose over 30 pounds in less than a month. I also had an adverse reaction to lexapro within a week. I had suicidal thoughts to the point that I was scared to be by myself. It’s weird though because my body has tolerated Zoloft which I hope to taper off of after getting off remeron. 

MadMason

I have always had worsening conditions with any SRI, SSRI. I recently had Serotonin Syndrome and was hospitalized. Still physicians want you to "try it out" even though it can take your life.

"Few clinicians recognize a reaction to SRI or SSRI drugs and few have seen serotonin syndrome" quoted from my psychiatrist 4/8/2019  

Kozak70
On 23/11/2013 at 21:23, Altostrata said:

Les personnes qui ont des réactions indésirables immédiates aux agents sérotoninergiques présentent souvent des symptômes graves pendant un certain temps - des symptômes très semblables au syndrome de sevrage - et mettent longtemps à se rétablir.

S'ils ont été pris pendant longtemps, souvent avec l'aide d'un benzo, leur système nerveux est très perturbé.

yes Alto this what happened to me ,after 20years of use i ended up kindled now & symptoms are hell (9 months off ) i dont think i ll heal the kindling happned 4 years  ago ! i m lost i m scary to reinstate because my brain is hypersensitized now !what shall i do to deal with this long wave of 7 months wthout any improuvement .

Faithhopelove

Hi how are you doing now?

MadMason

I am doing much better now. Regained my cognitive skills but still some memory loss. I have a great psychiatrist that has me taking Clonazepam 3 X a day. I really had to struggle with doctors for years explaining the worsening conditions with SSRI, SRI and TSAs. They did not believe me. So for years I have been of and on Valium which really helped to.

I am also a pain patient and take opioids so they used to prescribe Valium in that setting. However, with so many people drinking alcohol they are reluctant to prescribe. If you look at the drug insert on most opioids concomitant use is allowed when other drugs (SSRI) are ineffective. 

I was coerced many times to take different serotonin re uptake inhibitors just to prove the point. Never again. In fact, I just read that there are new warnings on antidepressants.

I will never trust a physician to check for interactions. I will look myself at www.drugs.com.

Thank You for asking.