If I Had Remained Med Compliant…

GiaK

I've got a new post...it's on Mad in America here: http://www.madinamerica.com/2013/11/remained-med-compliant/

and on Beyond Meds here: http://beyondmeds.com/2013/11/24/med-compliant/

Entitled:  If I Had Remained Med Compliant…

includes a list of posts entitled "celebrating non-compliance"  :P

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

Resonating with the cleanliness part on dopamine cell destroyers and also after. I still don't have enough energy to prioritize every cleaning chore that I want to and when I took drugs i lived in filth a lot of the time.

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

Wow. I'm in tears reading about the cleanliness part:

"I want to say more about the hygiene and care of home and surroundings issue. I’ve wanted to write about this for a long time but I’ve not done it and I think it’s because I still have shame around how slovenly I became. I hid it from others fairly well most of the time, but I couldn’t hide it from myself. The fact is the drugs stripped me of some very basic elements of human care. When one doesn’t care about their immediate environment and their bodies, they really just don’t care about themselves. It’s a very painful place to be and yet when it’s caused by drugs it’s all muted and weird and not really who we are at all and so really all that is left is horrible shame because it’s really not congruent with who we are. I felt a searing shame about it all the time."

I was always meticulous about my hygiene, before and while on drugs (still on a few). Since DCing Pristiq and Vyvanse, I'm a disaster and my house is disgusting (never was a great housekeeper). I feel an overwhelming sense that ive given up and it doesn't matter what I do (brush teeth, etc). Nobody comes to my house. Ever. I'm uncomfortable having people here and I think they feel the same disgust. Pet hair and layers of dirt and dust on everything. When my dad came last year, he took one look around the tiny space and asked "WHY are you living like this??". (We did lose a house in the crash; living in old 2 room cabin thing.).

I don't know what I'm trying to say except thank you. Again.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• Administrator

Excellent article, Gia.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I re-read the article and comment thread at mad in america. I still reverberate with the article. Thanks for sharng.  Thought the commenting  disappointing for widespread missing the point and whining.

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

• Moderator Emeritus

Great article Gia, it has triggered some memories for me of being prescribed new drugs,

often several at once. I was classed as 'non compliant' when I didn't persist with them 

when the side effects were too much to endure. Even my gp agreed they were intolerable

and told me to ''leave him to me, I'll contact him and put him right''. 

I am so so glad I took my stand and had that gp to back me. I shudder to think of where I

would have been if I had been compliant, probably dead, or institutionalised .

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy