Altostrata

Tips to help sleep: so many of us have that awful withdrawal insomnia

Happy2Heal

little update on the pistachio experiment, absolutely no difference in  my sleep (falling asleep nor staying asleep)
Pistachios are supposed to be full of melatonin

melatonin pills didn't help either

Meimeiquest

I’ve gone through many stages of sleep issues.  Just wanted to share that what’s helping right now (until next phase) is ghee at bedtime, I take 1 tsp pasture-sourced.  The idea is the short chain fatty acids help the microbiome and replace the SCFA’s that bacteria should be supporting you with through the night.  If you have a higher blood sugar (you’d have to buy a home glucometer to measure this) upon awakening than going to bed, there’s a problem with your insulin/cortisol/blood sugar regulation at night. Also, I have had many “brain on fire” sorts of symptoms through the last 6 yrs.  When I had nutrient testing, I was extremely low in glycine which is part of the whole GABA/glutamate balancing process. I have taken it now for about 2 yrs.  I never felt it helping, but I do sleep better now, at least most of the time.  You can buy glycine plain, 1/8 tsp was same amt as supplement my doctor prescribed.

MRothbard

Good video on the importance of sleep.

He says serotonin converts to melatonin—the sleep hormone. I didn't know this until now. This may explain why we have a difficult time falling asleep. He also says sunlight is key for serotonin production. You can get around this, however, with some kind of high lumen light fixture. So, I'll be bringing my Happy Light to work tomorrow.

In this vid or a different one, he says nutrients are processed when we move, so excercise is important. Doesn't have to be an Iron Man competition. Yoga and walking are what I'm doing right now.

Altostrata

There is a relationship between melatonin and serotonin, but serotonin imbalance doesn't exist. The serotonin aspect of this is a red herring.

Sunlight resets our internal clocks via the pineal gland for sleep cycle regulation. The pineal gland causes the release of melatonin when your world gets dark.

Getting sunlight every day assists in triggering of melatonin at the right time in the evening. Artificial light at the wrong times of day can confuse the sleep cycle. To reinforce your natural sleep cycle, use therapeutic lights only when it's light outside. (And get off the computer early in the evening!)

Exercise is indeed important, as it improves body functioning, including hormonal activity, overall -- and if you do it under natural light, your pineal gland is getting the proper signals as well.

Happy2Heal
On 11/17/2018 at 9:52 AM, dj2010 said:

comforting to hear for anyone suffering with withdrawal insomnia:

Insomnia: 'No link' between sleepless nights and early death

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-46223386

I read a book about a year ago that explained that sleep is a primary drive, so that even if you feel like you aren't sleeping, you are.

that was a relief to hear. I wish I could remember the title of the book 😕

JackieDecides

currently working my way through this thread (still on page one) and reading Quiet Your Mind and get to sleep - and the info from both sources is in agreement. pretty sure that's a good sign.

I'm going to try the bath with Epson Salts and baking soda as soon as I go out and get some. 

ChessieCat
41 minutes ago, Happy2Heal said:

I read a book about a year ago that explained that sleep is a primary drive, so that even if you feel like you aren't sleeping, you are.

that was a relief to hear. I wish I could remember the title of the book

Was it:  The Sleep Solution: Why Your Sleep is Broken and How to Fix It by W. Chris Winter M.D.

I found this statement:  Dr. Winter explains "Sleep is a primary drive and that no pills are needed." on https://startsleeping.org/

Happy2Heal
1 hour ago, ChessieCat said:

Was it:  The Sleep Solution: Why Your Sleep is Broken and How to Fix It by W. Chris Winter M.D.

I found this statement:  Dr. Winter explains "Sleep is a primary drive and that no pills are needed." on https://startsleeping.org/

ah that must be it!

I sounds vaguely familiar. I read a bunch books on insomnia in the past couple of years 

As I understood that, it means that you may not get as much sleep as you want or that is optimal but your body will basically force a shut down at some point.

I found it very comforting when the insomnia was esp troubling.

in fact, as soon as I read it, I stopped worrying so much about the sleep I wasn't getting and starting sleeping better, more often

now I sleep pretty well more often than not, but I remember how comforting it was to read that one line.  I stopped trying to find the "magic potion" that would help me sleep longer (I had no trouble falling asleep, it was staying asleep that was the issue for most of acute WD)

edited to add: clicked on that link and it darn near undid all the good of hearing that sleep is a primary drive LOL it's full of warnings about how bad lack of sleep is for you. 

sheesh!!

I strongly recommend that if sleep is your problem, just read this one paragraph LOL
"Dr. Christopher Winter, dubbed "The Sleep Whisperer" by Ariana Huffington, and author of The Sleep Solution: Why Your Sleep is Broken and How to Fix It, explains that your attitude towards sleep is extremely important. He said, "When you talk with good sleepers, they have a flip-flops-and-Hacky-Sack mentality toward their sleep. "Whatever, dude." Within them is an inner belief that they are going to basically be okay no matter what happens that night in bed. This is the mentality that you must find, or you will be doomed to struggle forever."