SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Ellen: hi - withdrawing from Trazodone

Ellen042

I feel like I'm being so short here, it's just because I am writing in snatches amongst other things. I have been a bad mom mostly with irritability...and not being able to do things, but the bitchiness has been the most damaging. Do you feel like this is just a shock that you are going through that will pass, or the last straw that you won't be able to bounce back from? Because I think you would deal with it differently depending on which it is.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ellen042

• mammaP

• Altostrata

• Meimeiquest

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly don't know.  It feels like the last straw right now, but of course I hope it just runs it's course and passes.  If it does pass, I feel it will take a very long time.  It took seven years just to get over my husband leaving me, well the heartache part of it anyway.  Perhaps it's easier when you're not yet married.  Only time will tell.

insomnia, anxiety, depression- since childhood

lyme disease, dysautonomia, chiari malformation- dx 4/1997

nortriptyline- 75mg since childhood

clonazepam- 3mg since 4/1997

trazodone-100mg since 4/2013, now tapering

rotating antibiotics and antimalarials for lyme disease

midodrine- 10mg for dysautonomia

repeated skull surgeries for chiari malformation

EDIT:

Edited by alexejice

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

Hugs!

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

56 years old

• Moderator Emeritus

Do any of you become emotionally incapacitated?  How do you overcome it when you HAVE to go to work, take care of your kids, ect.?  I'm not asking this rhetorically; I need help, answers.  Any input would be most greatly appreciated.

Three years ago I was in a situation where my life was starting to look like it would be ok, finally I would be able to relax and recover from a horrendous stress filled 15 years and settle down as a 'family' with the man I adored and had been with for the previous 4 years. There had been some problems, but I thought that we would now be able to put the past behind us and focus on us.  My daughter and I had recently moved in with him, after losing our home to a devastating divorce process.  I was 3 months into withdrawal from Lexapro, having tapered too fast and quit.  Then without warning, just before Christmas 2010, my partner announced that we were not compatible and broke up with me, then he disappeared to another state for Christmas for 2 weeks.

I don't want to make this about me, just want to explain that I've been in a similar situation.... withdrawal symptoms, loss of love, survival issues and children to take care of.

What happened to me at that point is that I think I kind of went into denial and shock about the relationship, I didn't have enough resources to emotionally process it at the time, I did just enough to get me into a new 'role' so that I could function in the house, luckily my ex-partner wasn't throwing us out at that point.

The health and safety of my daughter became solidified as the main priority of my life and everything I did, was based on what I believed would be best for her in the long run.  I lived from day to day at that point, not knowing where we would be in the future, but just making the best possible decisions I could and doing the next obvious right thing, from moment to moment. 

Looking back, I don't really know where I found the strength, because I was already in a very weakened state from past trauma and multiple medications, but I think it was because I was able to forget about my own needs and focus on my daughter.  Whenever I felt like I was about to fall apart, I would think about her and it always seemed to give me a bit more strength to get through the moment and keep moving forward.

I don't have any specific advice really, only to say that from my experience, I found that when I was able to put my focus on someone else, rather than myself I always managed to find enough strength to do what I needed to do and get myself to the next moment.  I'm not saying that this is a good way to function on a permanent basis, in some ways, I'm suffering now because of this, but it helped to keep me moving forward towards a calmer, more stable situation, which I had to create.

I'm sure you will get through this, and be able to continue taking care of yourself and your children. I hope you feel better soon.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Ellen, the link for making a liquid is actually in the article about tapering Trazodone. That would be the safest way to taper. It doesn't matter that it doesn't dissolve. The part about shaking and drawing out your dose while particles were suspended, intimidated me at first but I'm so glad I've done that.

It's easiest to mix mg per mL, less confusion doing the math, so less room for error.

I'm very sorry about the situation with your partner. I know that is very difficult for you, it's happened to others when they were suffering so terribly. My youngest moved out a little over a year ago, while I was still very sick from WD. It's not exactly the same scenario but it really hurt.

I hope things get better for you, soon!

Sorry Nikki- just now saw your question!  I read about trazodone metabolites causing anxiety in Tips for Tapering Off Trazodone.  It was very informative to me.  Now I'm taking 1/4 of my dailey dose in the mornings and 3/4 at bedtime, and I'm getting less daytime anxiety.  Yes, I'm fighting sleep all day, lethargic, and brain dead, but at least I'm moving in the right direction.  I personally cannot taper off this drug without having a small daytime dose to fight the evil daytme anxiety producing metabolites.  One of the administrators pointed me to the link above.  I forget who (sorry!), but found it helpful. 

I'm so discouraged.  I'm in a deep despair right now from a life event, and now I'm having an even harder time tapering the traz.  I'm only cutting by 5% this month, but still getting wicked migraines, agitation, irritabity, anxiety, and shakiness.  Please, I'f anyone else is coming off this drug or has come off it, let me know your experience.  I need to hear something encouraging.  I'm already suffering physically and emotionally right now, and the traz withdrawal isn't helping.  I've been on literally dozens of drugs since 4/1997 when I first fell physically ill, but nothing, nothing has been as hard to come off as this stuff.  How on earth does a doctor justify all the side effects and habit-forming nature of this drug just for three nights of no sleep?  I was in the hospital for panic attacks from the sleep deprivtion, so I didn't have a choice in taking it.  I was forced to.  Now I'm even more drained physically from this drug, and brain dead too.  It feels like I'll never succed in coming off it.  Encouraging thoughts and experiences, please. 

Update- I did manage to pick up my kids after school last night, but I was an hour late, so I owe the school $120 ($1 per minute per child for being late picking up your kids).  I can't keep doing this.  I slept poorly last night, as I was so depressed, and now can't get off the couch due to the enery zappng effects of trazodone. I have to drive to my job three hours away this afternoon, and I don't even feel safe driving.  Then I start one really tough job tomorrow, and I can't afford to lose it.  I have to feed mmy children!  I can't be crying at work either, so I have to figure out how to suck it up and take care of my patients (I'm an optometrist).  I see that many have been reading this post.  Thank you!  What would help even more is more replies- even if you have no answers.  I need your moral support.  God bless!

Well, I can at least say I read it :). I have to admit I have not ever been through a tragic breakup (I do have a lot of experience in not dating anyone!). My closest experience was in my boyfriend telling me that we could never have children together...until then I didn't know it was physically possible to cry for 8 hrs. straight. Work was mostly a distraction. But I do remember working with serious depression, and working a couple of hours after learning of my grandfather's death that my judgment was affected, even though I was way too busy to think about my personal issues. Not being able to bring your whole self to work is a serious problem in a professional job.

My dad officiated at many funerals, some of people he dearly loved. He said he got through them by getting alone and having a really hard cry a few hours before. I haven't tried it, but some mindfulness meditation might help.

My best friend went through a sudden, awful marital breakup a little over a decade ago. In hindsight, my worst advice...Prozac (thankfully a few months didn't hurt her). My best advice...quit the teaching job she got to keep the kids close to their dad and move home to her parents. I don't know if you have any supportive people you could move to be close to, but It's something to consider.

That's really all pretty much chatter, but I am thinking of you.

56 years old

Thank you again Meimeiquest.  Looks like you're a lone soldier in replying to my posts. Thank you for your compassion.  It means a lot to me.

• Moderator Emeritus

Ellen, I'm sorry you are going through this but I think you need to hold for a while. You went from 100mg to 50,

which is a big drop, then back to 100 a few days ago. You haven't stabilised on the 100

yet and are cutting again. 5% doesn't seem very much but your CNS is needing stability. 

I really feel for you because it seems like you are damned if you do and damned if you don't, but

I think you need to hold at 100 for a good while longer to stabilise properly before starting to taper again. 

You were at 50mg for a few weeks and only back to 100 for 4 days, please give it longer before cutting again,

even 5% is setting off withdrawal again. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Moderator Emeritus

Dear Ellen,

I understand you very well and feel for you a lot.

I had an awful breakdown when I was 19 before passing the last exam at my first year of studying. I had to pass it otherwise I would have lost a scholarship, a place in students dorm and would have to go home where I was abused which was definitely not an option. A psychiatrist then told me: we will put you on this AD so that you pull yourself together and pass that exam. (The breakdown was by the way triggered by unrequitted love). The AD didn't work but I took the exam feeling emotionally dead and cognitively impaired and despite that passed it.

Ever since then I've been studying and working for 10 years now full time and 3 years before that part time. All that time I was more or less depressed, sometimes severely and sometimes I experienced panic attacks. But I worked. sometiems I would slack, soemtimes I would excel but overal I was lucky to soemhow manage to be an A student and very good worker. At better times my performance would be above average, at worse times I managed to use my past glory to get by...

Somebody here on the forum said (i think it was areyouthere) that she sacrificed her health by taking ADs to be able to function at work. I did the same. i would take any drug just to be able to work and be functional because I also always had to provide for myself. I'm 36 now and don't have kids. I'm wondering if I will be able to taper and be meds-free to get pregnant before I'm too old. And how will I then take care of the kids...

I wish I knew what to tell you. Maybe this: how about helping yourself with medication until you get stable at your new job? I don't know if you are tapering now or anything but cut yourself some slack. I would stop tapering, maybe updose to the level where I can function. In this way I would buy myself future in which it would be safer and less painful for me to taper. Taking drugs might be the lesser of two evils now.

What I found very helpful is when a friend would tell me (REMIND me) how strong I was for going to work and enduring in such a difficult state. So give yourself every possible credit.

I was also prone to awful emotional hurt after break-ups. I remember working on my laptop on my work assignment with tears dropping onto the keyboard. I was crying but I went on. You are doing the same. Give yourself credit for that. Not only are you not worthless but you are an exceptionally strong woman. Now I've been in a nice fulfilling and loving relationship for two and a half years and thinik what a fool I was to cry and agonise over stupid idiots who were not my match.

You will find somebody who will be worthy of you. 

I've also been attending a psychotherapy for almost 18 years. While I was very unwell and working, I would think: talking things through will help me, I will get better soon, I just must endure a little bit more. I was also very focused on myself and how I felt.

A lot depends on the kind of work you do, of course. For 8 years I taught adults, small groups in shifts, I would have 2 hour lessons and then go home to be misearable. When I was at my worst I remember that a feedback from one group that would start lessons at 7 am was that a teacher was too slow (oh yes, I was for sure). But with other groups I functioned better. I was horrifieed at the thought of working at an office where I wouldn't be able to run home for cover but be out and exposed for 8 hours. But for teh lat 5 years I've had an office job and I find that in difficult times it's maybe even easier to mask your underperformance in such a setting then when being in front of people. On teh other hand, people give you energy, focus and distraction...

I also know how physical condition helps to mask the mental difficulties: it's easier to blame hicups in your functioning on something physical- people are more understanding. I never dared mentioning my mental issues, of course. Only to a few close colleagues.

I would take the d***n drugs to give me a chance to work, earn income, make friends and in that way feel better about myself and be in a better situation to taper and come off of them when the time comes.

I will be following you here.

You have a lot of courage and you will make it. 

Best,

bubble

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

Ellen,

I have been reading your posts, but can't imagine how difficult it must be or how I would handle it, especially on top of all of the physical problems you've had for so long.

I've been through some breakups, but none of the longevity and depth of your relationship. And never without warning. That would absolutely devastate and immobilize me, also. I once heard someone describe the abrupt ending of a relationship like this as (in some ways) worse than someone dying suddenly because of the rejection and hurt on top of the loss and grief.

I'm sorry I don't have any advice or help to offer. You are in a very difficult place with little support. Are there any neighbors or after school programs who might be able to help with kids? I think there are a lot of good people out there who want to help others but don't have the connection or opportunity.

I'm just tossing out random ideas.

I am very sorry you are in this position. It would be terrifying for me. Ive been on disability for 12 years after suffering a neck injury, but my private disability compensation is significantly higher than yours. Are you an independent contractor? I dated an OD for several years and know it's tough to establish a solid stream of income and benefits.

Please keep us posted and know that we are pulling for you.

Your kids sound absolutely precious!

ETA: I agree with bubble -- you are in crisis and if there is a drug that will help you through this time, take it. I never had improvement with serotonergics or other "antidepressants", but the pain med I was on helped me see hope through some very difficult times (and much easier to DC!).

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• Moderator Emeritus

I've been through some heartache in my time but honestly couldn't tell you how I got through!

I think having the children dependant on me was probably the thing that helped most. I had to 

see to them, make sure they were fed and had clean clothes. Just hugging them at the end of 

the day was enough to have me in tears after they went to bed. Crying is good, it's healing

and scientists now know that tears flush out stress hormones so you let the tears flow.

You are an incredibly strong lady and you so obviously love your children very much, the will

to care for them is what will keep you going from day to day. I think bubble has a point too,

to leave tapering until the hurt has lessened, you don't need withdrawal on top of the hurt.

I heard someone on tv say 'the clock will keep on ticking'  while it is ticking it is one second

closer to healing. This pain will get better, sadly it takes time. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Ellen,

I just left a message on the other thread but want to add: I'm familiar with opiates and have been on and off of them for a neck injury that left me permanently disabled. I dont know if you've said how you take the Percoset, but taking regularly might help avoid breakthrough pain and accompanying low mood. Keeping everything as constant as possible right now is important. For me (and a few others), opiates have been FAR easier to DC than "nonaddictive" antidepressants.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

Wow.  Thank you so much Bubble, Barbarannamated, and mammaP.  Your words are so very kind and soothing.  I made it through the three hour drive to this little town where I start work tomorrow.  For me, that's a big accomplishment, as I have to guard against passing out when I sit or stand stationary too long (my brain herniates out of my skull with prolonged gravity to fight). 

Bubble, please know that you don't have to be drug free to have kids!  When I had mine, the only thing I had to stop was an antacid for my sore throat, as it was a pregnancy category D.  Drugs that are category A & B are always OK, and category C drugs are OK so long as you're monitored by a perinatologist.  I think I was on 6 or 7 drugs when each of my two kids was born, and they both were and are perfectly healthy in every way.  And you're not too old.  I was in my mid thirties when my kids were born.  You can google the pregnancy category of each of your drugs. 

Barb, you're right that losing a partner through death is easier than losing them through rejection, but I do think that losing him at all was just the last straw before another emotional breakdown.  I was on the verge already from financial stress, the havoc my physical illness has wrecked on my life, isolation, and exhaustion. 

mammaP, thank you for reminding me that the heartache eases with time.

I wish so badly that I could improve things for now by not tapering a drug, but for me the trazodone is tricky.  When I DON'T taper it, it zaps every last iota of physical strength out of me so that I'm in bed nearly 24/7.  It took a long time to figure out what was making me so much worse physically, but on a couple of occasions, I forgot to take it at night, and I felt so much more energy and mental clarity the next day.  However, skipping it or even tapering it does make me shakey, irritable, anxious, and with a migraine the next day.  I start work in the morning, and I STILL don't know wheter I should take a reduced dose or the full dose tonight.  I may need to take half tonight, then AFTER I shower in the morning and drive to work, take the other half.  At least that way I'll physically be at work.  I'll just have to fight physical exhaustion, mental confusion, and falling asleep through work.  I don't see how anyone could work while on 100mg of this stuff.

The phone just rang and from habit I thought it was him (the one I lost) calling.  Just a wrong number.  Now I'm fighting lonliness in this hotel room three hours away from anyone I know.  Thank you all for writing.  You're a blessing. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you Ellen for finding time and energy for helping me with your kind advice at the time when things are so hard for you.

Your experience means so much to me and confirms you are a very strong woman.

I was reading through your earlier posts and it seems that lots of your current difficulties are due to mismanagement of drugs which we all due following instructions of our doctors.

I can't emphasise enough how much the expertise on these pages has helped me. So please please carefully consider what they told you. Unfortunately and however incredible it may sound but doctors don't have a clue.

I was totally, totally freaked out about making my own liquid suspension and thought there was no way I would ever do it especialyl now with my increased clumsiness, lack of energy, imprecision on all fronts... But people here guided me through every stretch of the way and I've been making a suspension for over a month now with incredible ease. It has brought incredible changes to my life because it showed me that what I thought was 'my anxiety' was actually result of drug mismanagement, i.e. following my pdoc instructions!

I use a syringe, follow the formula for mixing Xanax with water with such ease I can't believe only a month ago I thought it was not going to happen. So if I can do it, you can alos do it. But I understand it might take a while to get used to the idea. I was resisting it a lot.

Good luck!

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

I have tried to taper traz a couple times along with a few friends and each of us ran into problems with the anxiety and of course the insomnia. Two of us went back to the original dose and decidedto go slower.This drug is much harder than the others I've come off of.Be very slow and wait past that 3rd week to see if the anxiety is going to creep up. I found it doesn't dissolve well, the next option is the scale..and shaving the pill. It has been 4 weeks since I reinstated and the anxiety is just now tolerable...Be patient and we will try again.

Dont forget that Celexa is unforgiving also.

C/T Celexa and Trazadone on Jan.29th 2014
Prescribed 1mg of Klonopin every 6 hours on Jan.29th
Began tapering Klonopin April 18th..stretching time between doses...at first one hour for 2 weeks then a half hour for app.10 days then another half hour 10days later.
Presently at .25 three times a day..6 2 and 10pm. Trying to stabilize.
Also still taking gabapentin 300mgs 2xs a day..

Sorry for that duplicate post...email me and we can talk about the traz...it will take a little time to stabilize after that drop of half the drug..It'll be okay...

C/T Celexa and Trazadone on Jan.29th 2014
Prescribed 1mg of Klonopin every 6 hours on Jan.29th
Began tapering Klonopin April 18th..stretching time between doses...at first one hour for 2 weeks then a half hour for app.10 days then another half hour 10days later.
Presently at .25 three times a day..6 2 and 10pm. Trying to stabilize.
Also still taking gabapentin 300mgs 2xs a day..

• Moderator Emeritus

Hope your day goes well at work Ellen. I just read that when you forget a night time dose you feel much more alert 

in the mornings. Effexor had that effect on me too, in fact I would skip a day if I had to go somewhere! 

That feeling is actually a withdrawal symptom and not feeling better because you haven't taken it. 

Many people feel so much better after stopping their ad's, withdrawal can cause hypomania which can be mistaken 

for a fantastic feeling of well-being that is the start of a new life without drugs. Sadly it isn't real and the nasty withdrawal

symptoms can soon follow.  :(.

Please follow the advice from Alto, and taper slowly to avoid things becoming even worse. 

2002  effexor. 

Ellen, How did your first day of work go?

56 years old

Thank you!  There's so much support here.  I made it through my first day of work! Granted, they only scheduled 10 patients per day this week.  Next week and from then on I have to see 24 patients per day.  That's crazy busy for any optometrist.  I decided yesterday to take my 3mg of Klonopin at bedtime instead of in the am, and it did help keep me a bit more awake and alert.  Still on the trazodone, though, so I'm very forgetful.  Yesterday I couldn't recall the names or dosages of medicines to prescribe, so I had too look each one up.  Won't have time for that after this week.  Don't worry anyone: I'm VERY conservative in prescribing drugs.  I only do so when absolutely necessary, e.g. when the alternative is going blind.  Thanks for asking.  Taking my Klonopin in the evening again and headed out for day two of work. I'm blessed to have a job.  :) Work kept my mind off my now former fiance.  

• Moderator Emeritus

This sounds so encouraging! I hope you feel the same. We are all cheering for you.

Shoot,  I gave into 50mg of Lyrica for migraines today,  Just couldn't stand the pain.  It did help with the pain, but now I'm getting even worse drowsiness, weekness, and memory loss.  The migraines are from tapering trazodone.  Still only down 5% from my original dose.  The whole reason I'm trying to get off trazodone is to get rid of the physical exhaustion, drowsiness, poor concentration, and memory loss it causes.  I traded one evil for another!  So back to trazodone WITH the migraines too?  One thing Lyrica did do for me was to ease the emotional pain of my now former fiance breaking up with me.  I've got horrible anxiety on Lyrica though.  So I have a choice of two evils: trazodone or Lyrica.  Which would you choose?  Alto? Anyone? I can't take them together, nor do I want to.  Wish my life weren't so stressed and painful right now. Tanks for any advice.

Hi.  I noticed here that a number of members get anxiety.  My doctor says it's possible that I have bipolar disorder, but she didn't diagnose it.  I alternate between depression and anxiety, NOT depression and mania.  Anyway,  I was wondering what folks do here for SEVERE incapacitating anxiety (of course other than drugging yourself).  I'm already on 3mg of clonazepam, still getting no relief.  Ideas?

Oops, meant to put that under my intro and updates.  Moderators- feel free to move this post!

Hello Ellen, sorry to hear about your anxiety and I can surely relate, having suffered about a full year now with anxiety but thankfully it is slowly diminishing. Yes I also alternate between anxiety and depression, but sometimes have both, and no it is not bipolar because I have no 'manic' type periods. The anxiety and depression may be punctuated by normal or near normal periods ("windows").

For severe anxiety, exercise is very very helpful to bring it down a notch or two or three. I swim laps for 20 min, but anything vigorous should help, or even a walk.  I also used saffron - look for other posts about that. I used Seditol (magnolia bark) but had to stop when it gave me central sleep apnea. There are posts here about magnesium and I've recently started using that which helps, but I am learning how to use it moderately - too much makes me sleepy.

I've also noticed talking to a therapist, family or friend sometimes eases the symptoms. Although our symptoms are neurological and physical (not just all in the head!) there is such a strong tie in with body/mind that doing things to  help the mind be in a better mood, feel loved, calmed, have fun, can help reduce the physical symptoms.

Staying away from stressful things of course, and caffeine, sugar of course would be wise. Deep breathing and krya (spelling?)yoga breathing is good. I'm sure others will post their tips too.

I hope you get relief and help with the Lyme disease. That causes anxiety too I hear.

2002? zoloft.  Start of synthroid unknown.

2002? switched to paxil  - Developed restless leg syndrome. stopped all caffeine which helped for many years.

2003? switched to effexor XL 75 mg. May 2012 began taper

July 2012 stopped all effexor . Usual WD symptoms, lost excess weight, had more energy. RLS stopped immediately!

Sept 2012 depression off and on, increasing. Tried tryptophan and acupuncture

Dec 2012 severe anxiety began

February 2013 used magnolia bark for anxiety - helped but developed central sleep apnea, so I stopped it

by April 2013- stopped tryptophan, using saffron herb successfully and started HRT

June 2013 doctor noticed bradycardia. I tried very small dose cytomel sev days for hypothyroidism but seemed to strain my heart.

July 2013 stopped saffron due to slow heart and palpitations - did not help.

July 2013 Increased synthroid from 50mg to 75mg. depression and anxiety improved. Heart problems continue.

September & October 2013 - 2 month course of antibiotic for possbile lyme disease - mood and anxiety improved further.  Heart pvc's flair up at times. 

• Moderator Emeritus

What a choice! Could you function on Lyrica if you stopped trazadone

and had full blown withdrawal for a while?  No-one can tell how long you would

be in withdrawal for, but if you are having these terrible migraines on reducing

just 5% I'm guessing that it could be prolonged if you go faster, I believe your

migraines are caused by withdrawal? 

If I were you I would ask, beg even, the doctor for a script for liquid, or make my own

and reduce by 1%. It would be very slow but maybe you would be able to cut more often

at 1%, Alto would be able to tell you if that might be the case. 

I was very sick on effexor but felt better and better as my dose got lower, hopefully

it will go that way for you too and you will not have to wait until you are off it to feel better.

.Your choices are limited and only you can make it. 

It is so frustrating that we can't just stop taking these drugs but sadly  that is just the way it is

for many of us.  

I really feel for you and wish I could make it better for you. :( 

2002  effexor. 

• Moderator Emeritus

I merged your anxiety post  Ellen. I can't exercise either but I can go into my imagination

for a while. I imagine I am in a place I love, camping in the woods is a favourite, or on 

a beach somewhere warm and sunny. Swimming in the sea   or splashing in the rain

when the kids were little. Often it would turn bad, with negative thoughts coming in but

I learned to kick them right back out again, they were not going to spoil my party! It's

like making a movie in my head! I can feel myself starting to smile. Not always possible

with little ones needing attention but works for me sometimes. 

Drawing can be calming too. I can't draw for toffee and wouldn't show them to anyone but

somehow it does help a little, like putting feelings on paper but not in words. You can draw

on anything, (walls aren't good though ;)) . Mine usually start with heavy lines and jagged

edges but end up all swirly and feathery. Maybe drawing is the wrong word, doodles is better,

I doodle. :)

2002  effexor. 

• Administrator

I think mammaP has the right idea, you may be able to better tolerate smaller decreases more often. Consider using liquid trazodone. You should know that topic pretty well by now.

You can get a benzo-like rebound from Lyrica. If you want to take it occasionally, you may wish to take less than 50mg to minimize the adverse effects. For Lyrica titration, see http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2381-tips-for-tapering-off-lyrica-pregabalin/

I made a liquid of Lyrica, it worked fine.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Yes, the migraines are indeed caused by trazadone withdrawal.  And anxiety is caused by taking Lyrica.  I was really hoping to withdraw faster from traz than 1% at a time. I can't work with the exhaustion, confusion, and memory loss it causes, and again, I can't lose my job.  Thanks for the ideas, and I'd love any other ideas out there too.  I may need to use Lyrica to get off trazodone after all.  It would be trading one drug for another, but I can't imagine any drug being harder to come off than the trazodone.  I'd be using a relatively small dose of Lyrica, namely 50mg, compared to my whopping dose of 100mg of trazodone. 

• Administrator

Ellen, don't take Lyrica at a dosage of 50mg if it causes anxiety, etc. That's making the whole problem worse.

Going forward with a drug that is already causing adverse effects makes no sense at all.

You cannot compare 50mg Lyrica to 100mg trazodone and conclude that dosage of Lyrica is milder.

We're talking about a micro-taper, see http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2878-micro-taper-instead-of-10-or-5-decreases/

You make smaller decreases more often. This is an even more gradual way to taper.

The idea is to taper gradually enough so you can maintain your normal life. What difference does it make how long it takes if you can do this?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thanks.  Woke up today with anxiety from yesterday's Lyrica.  Too much anxiety to handle. You've got me convinced now if Lyrica causes a benzo-like withdrawal.  Seems like I'm doing a whole lot more discussing than tapering!  Thanks, guys, for your support.  So back to slowly tapering trazodone.  Alto, you're right, I need to taper more slowly yet, but in my case, I can't function ON the drug.  That's why I need off.  When ON trazodone, I'm so exhausted I can't get out of bed, and I'm so confused and disoriented that I forget the names of even family members and don't even know where I am. And I have to work and raise my kids. That's why I seem so impatient with tapering.  Thank you for listening, and thanks everyone for all your support. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Ellen I was just the same with effexor for years. I really thought I would die from whatever

it was that afflicted me. I completely relate to what you are feeling. I didn't realise it was effexor

but thought it was the illnesses and major surgeries I had. 

When I realised it was effexor I tried c/t. That was worse than ever, much much worse. Then a

taper recommended by my doctor, same result, excruciating withdrawal. I was just as frustrated as

you are and cried because now I KNEW what was making me sick. Then I started to taper slowly,

and I started to feel better. I don't know when I noticed a difference, but one day I realised 

I was doing something I hadn't done for a long long time, I think it was talking to a neighbour! 

Something so small but very significant. 

I know you have to look after your little ones AND work a very important job with no room for error

but could you do that job with the migraines that you will get if you go faster? 

Honestly, if there was a faster way that guaranteed no withdrawal, Alto would know about it! 

You have to live with your disabilities that are not related to trazadone, and you do that brilliantly.

We adapt to things and have to accept things we cannot change, you've been doing that for 

years. This is transient and WILL get better . Look at ways that you could get some help, with

the children, housework, shopping, anything that will take a little pressure off so you can cope

with the side effects while tapering.

I think it's cruel that you've been left with all this on your own, but you will get through it and out

the other side.  We are all here for you. 

2002  effexor. 

Just curious, Alto, are you a neurologist, ex-psychiatrist, or psychologist?  You just come across with a professional air, so it made me wonder.  Thanks.