SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Ellen: hi - withdrawing from Trazodone

Ellen042

Hi.  I've had mild depression along with severe anxiety and insomnia most of my life.  I've taken nortriptyline since childhood for sleep.  Recently I went through a divorce and needed trazodone in addition for sleep.  I was put on Celexa as well, but just came off it, as it was starting to cause seretonin syndrome.  Boy am I glad that's out of my system.  That was awful!  Came off it (Celexa) cold turkey without a single withdrawal symptom; just felt ten times better right away. 

Wish I could say the same for Trazodone.  100mg of trazodone at bedtime was giving me terrible daytime anxiety (I guess from it's metabolite), so my doctor has me tapering off it. I've been taking 50mg at bedtime for the last week, and am getting horrible, unbearable: anxiety, irritibility, weepiness, insomnia, migraines, and restlessness.  I'm supposed to cut down to 25mg at bedtime next week then down to 0mg the following week.  I don't know if I can go through with this, as the withdrawal symptoms are h***. 

The problem is that I can't go back up to 100mg either.  100mg makes me so weak that I'm literally incapacitated in bed all day, and gives me such brain fog that I can't remember family member's names, don't know what day or year it is, and don't know where I am.  I'm starting a new job in five days, and I have to be able to work.  I'm a single mom and have run out of savings to live on.  I can't work when I'm bedridden and disoriented on 100mg of trazodone, but I can't work through withdrawal migraines, panic attacks, irritibility to the point of wanting to yell and curse at people, or sleep deprivation either.  I can't work on the stuff, and I can't work through withdrawal, but work I must, or I'll lose custody of my kids!!!

Help!  What do I do?  My doctor's no help here.  He just says I'll have to go back to 100mg or wean off the stuff.  He's right, but I can't work with either option, and I'd rather die than lose my children.  Please help me, even with mere moral support.

Ellen

insomnia, anxiety, depression- since childhood

lyme disease, dysautonomia, chiari malformation- dx 4/1997

nortriptyline- 75mg since childhood

clonazepam- 3mg since 4/1997

trazodone-100mg since 4/2013, now tapering

rotating antibiotics and antimalarials for lyme disease

midodrine- 10mg for dysautonomia

repeated skull surgeries for chiari malformation

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ellen042

• mammaP

• Altostrata

• Meimeiquest

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm not personally familiar with Trazodone and its side effects and withdrawal problems, but we do have a general topic on how to taper off it that may be helpful:

Tips for Tapering Off Trazodone

Have you tried taking 75 mg. instead of going all the way up to 100 mg.?  Or some dose in between? Dropping from 100 mg. to 50 mg. is a huge drop, so it's no wonder that you're experiencing withdrawal symptoms. Unfortunately, most doctors have no idea what they're doing with psychotropic drugs and even less about withdrawal.

Welcome to the forum, Ellen.  You'll find lots of good information and friendly support here.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

Thank you for the reply.  I'd love to hear from others too.  For those unfamiliar with trazodone, it's an SARI (serotonin antagonist and reuptake inhibitor).  It also has norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor properties as well as antihistamine properties.  When you stop taking trazodone or lower the dose, your bloodstream gets overloaded with serotonin, noradrenaline, and histimine.  I think what's causing most of my withdrawal symptoms is all the noradrenaline flooding my bloodstream.  Of course that's a mere guess, but that's EXACTLY how I feel: jacked up on adrenaline day and night. 

Ellen myself and a few others here are sick from the traz too.First realize you are not alone.

You are a trooper.This is difficult.I was wondering how long ago you quit the celexa.I take that also.

One friend bought a mg scale to lower it 1 mg at a time every coule days.I spoke with my pdoc about having it compounded..I promised not to mess with it til after xmas.

Please keep in touch, this will have to be done slowly.Celexa was hard for me also as it kicked in after a month.

Amazon has a scale that will weigh mgs.

Have you been able to stabilize since the drop?

I know a few have not been able to get stable after dropping a large dose.Even after reinstating...One other question ...have you had bizarre aches and pains?

Since we get depressed reading here some of us get in contact through face book.You take care of yourself and we'll get it done but slower this time.I dropped 12.5 mgs and did well until the 3rd weeks and then the anxiety got to be too much.I went back to 75mgs to make another plan. Now I wait.....flower

C/T Celexa and Trazadone on Jan.29th 2014
Prescribed 1mg of Klonopin every 6 hours on Jan.29th
Began tapering Klonopin April 18th..stretching time between doses...at first one hour for 2 weeks then a half hour for app.10 days then another half hour 10days later.
Presently at .25 three times a day..6 2 and 10pm. Trying to stabilize.
Also still taking gabapentin 300mgs 2xs a day..

Thank you, flower.  I stopped the Celexa cold turkey two months ago, as I was starting to develop serotonin syndrome.  I felt so horrible from serotonin syndrome that abruptly stopping Celexa made me feel better, not worse.  Which are you tapering now, the Celexa or the trazodone?  If you're like me, which you may not be, stopping trazodone is FAR more difficult than stopping Celexa.  I've been able to taper down even Klonopin and Percocet with less difficulty than trazodone.  What is it about this drug that makes it so darn addictive?  Do you know?

Last night I gave in and took a whole trazodone (100mg), as I had to quarantine myself on Thanksgiving Day from the withdrawal symptoms.  I didn't want to ruin others' holiday with my irritibility, so I skipped going to my parents' house, sent my kids to their father's house, and said no to seeing my boyfriend.  I was both sick from withdrawal and bummed all alone on Thanksgiving Day.  Now it's Friday, and my boyfriend asked to see me today, as I refused yesterday.  I can, because I'm not in withdrawal, but it's nearly noon, and I'm still in bed from the trazodone hangover. I lose either way.  I can't function on the trazodone, and I can't function without it.  I wanted to get it out of my system quickly, but now it looks like I'm going to have to go through months or even years of slow withdrawal symptoms.  How are the rest of you surviving slow withdrawals?  Just the thought of those symptoms lasting months or years makes me want to jump off a bridge.  I am soooooo angry at my doctor for putting me on this stuff!  Given that trazodone is more difficult to stop than Klonopin and Percocet, it needs to be a controlled substance. 

Please everyone keep replying.  I need your moral support even if you've never heard of trazodone.  Thank you!

• Moderator Emeritus

Ellen,

Please read 'Tips for Tapering Off Trazodone', which I posted above. It isn't necessary to suffer for several years while you taper off, but if you continue to bounce back and forth between taking 50 mg. and taking 100 mg., I'd guess you're inviting a lot of misery.  We recommend reducing your dose by no more than 10% at a time and no more quickly than once a month, and many people have found even that to be too rapid a taper. Jumping your dose by 100% and then cutting it by 50% can't be doing you any good. Getting stabilized at a dose in between, such as 90 mg., and then tapering off slowly will lessen withdrawal symptoms as much as is possible. And please be aware that stabilization can take anywhere from four days to a month or more. It won't happen within hours of changing your dose.

There is no quick fix for withdrawal from Trazodone or any other psychiatric drug. There is nothing that we know of that will make a person feel better immediately or even very soon. The belief that pills can fix all our problems is what got us into trouble in the first place, so it's a good idea to unlearn this faulty idea ASAP.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Ellen, I really do feel for you but Jemima is spot on with her advice. I was taking effexor (venlafaxine) for years,

was virtually housebound, in severe pain all the time, brain fog, couldn't remember things. Forgot names, forgot

what I was doing. Got in the car once and didn't know how to turn on the ignition! Needless to say I didn't go out

that day! My house was disgusting and I was so ashamed. I pushed all my friends away and couldn't face people.

Long story short I decided I had enough and tried cold turkey. I lasted a few days I think, it was HELL! 

It was another few years before I did some research and started a slow taper.  Little by little I noticed I was more 

alert, and the fog started to clear. With each drop I felt a tiny bit better. I was silly and stopped too soon, then suffered

awful withdrawal and had to reinstate. It has taken 7 months for me to stabilise enough to make another cut, and I am

talking about cuts of just 1 tiny bead from a capsule! I feel so much better now, my head is clearer, my memory is

returning and a lot of the pain from the effexor is gone. 

You could  feel better along the way like I have, I know it is a different drug, but as the dose gets smaller than it's

possible the side effects will lessen as long as the cut is a small one. Make a cut too big and you will feel withdrawal.

Sometimes people don't even realise they are feeling better until they look back at their earlier posts and see just how

much progress has been made. That's why it's good to post here, it's a journal that logs our symptoms, relapses and

progress. 

I hope your taper goes well for you.  Hugs MammaP 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Thank you Gold Star.  I did read your tips for tapering off trazodone and am thankful it was written.  I've got a logistical problem though.  My tablets are 100mg, and cutting them into even quarters makes them crumble.  How could I possibly cut off 10%?  Trazodone isn't water soluble, so I can't dissolve it into, say 10ml of water and pour off 1ml.  Would be nice if I could.  My doctor won't call in the 25mg tablets (lowest dose) for me to work with, as she wants me to follow her instructions: cut to 50mg last week, 25mg this week, then stop.  I learned the hard way that I can't do that.  Remember that I was merely following my doctor's advice, and I hadn't run across this website yet.  She (my doctor) doesn't like being questioned on her medical advice.  She just treats me as a nut case, expects me to do whatever she says, and shut up.  I think it's a bit arrogant of her, but I can't change doctors, as my HMO has limited pdocs available, and she's the only one within driving distance.  Do you have any advice for keeping the tablets from crumbling or for getting four 25mg tablets in place of each 100mg tablet?  Thanks for all your help. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Doctors rarely understand the need for tapering, some are more helpful than others but most just don't 

get it, and if you tell them you've been on the internet researching they hate it! 

Could you get a micro scale to weigh the tablet pieces?  There are some examples on the tapering forum.

Some of the drugs are a pain to split into doses but there are usually ways around it. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Hi Ellen, I have put crumbles into empty capsules, or purchased cheap capsules of gelatin at Walmart and emptied them out to make empty capsules. Did the dividing on a paper that I had creased in half, so I could funnel into a capsule. If you use all the crumbs it sort of evens out. But someone surely has a better idea.

The work thing is hard. I had a rough ride off Wellbutrin, which is surely easier than Trazodone, oscillating between side effects and withdrawal. With work, I just had to do it. Don't decide in the morning if you've had enough sleep to drive, if you are well enough, anything. Just get up and go. Somehow you will make it through...every day comes to an end eventually. And then expect very little of yourself the rest of the time. But surely someone has a better idea about this, too :).

Check out the fish oil, magnesium, and insomnia threads when you can.

Good luck!

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

Wow!  You are all going to incredible lengths to taper!  Most drugs are water soluble.  Why not just dissolve your med in 10ml of water with a 10ml syringe and take 1ml less each month?  Seems a whole lot easier than reloading capsules and weighing crumbs! I'd be afraid I wouldn't even get the right amount of crumbs or beads back in the capsule or into my mouth.  Doesn't seem very accurate to me at all.  I personally would like to have my trazodone compounded into a liquid so that I could take exactly the amount I wanted to, but surely my doc won't go for that.  Wish someone knew what trazodone IS soluble in.  I'd compound it myself if I knew. 

• Moderator Emeritus

I tried liquid but had an allergic reaction to something in it, and the beads in my capsules 

can't be dissolved. So I count beads, not easy   but do-able and now I am down to just 3.

To get the liquid I spoke to the pharmacist and asked her if it was possible to get the liquid made.

She wrote down the details and I took it to my doctor. He resisted at first but I insisted I was going to

do a slow taper and would pay for the liquid myself if I had to. He gave me the prescription but sadly

I couldn't take it anyway!  Your doctor might agree too, it's worth a try!

2002  effexor. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Sorry, I forgot that your doctor is  non compliant! My memory is still 

not fully recovered! 

2002  effexor. 

• Administrator

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thank you Altostrata.  I read the link above for the second time just now.  Two things stood out to me 1) I think I'm getting side effects from the metabolite mcPP (or whatever it was called- forgot).  I started getting dramatic daytime anxiety as soon as I was placed on trazodone.  That's one reason I want to taper it.  and 2) I do take nortriptyline, and that's shown to have an adverse effect when combined with trazodone.  I'm about to head out the door for a day of fill-in work.  Thank God today's work is easy!  Next week I start my physically and mentally challenging job, and I don't know how to survive it.  I reinstated the full 100mg of trazodone two days ago, but my body is still stabelizing on it (still shakey from the withdrawal).  I'm going to wait for my body to restablize on this full dose before I try to taper- this time MUCH more slowly.  I'd like to decrease by 10% for a month as recommended, but I don't know how to accurately get 90% of each pill into my mouth.  Even a mg scale seems unreliable, as the pill just crumbles when cut into less than fourths, and I dont know how to get ALL of the 90% of crumbs from the paper on the scale into my mouth.  Tried using an unused eyeliner brush to get all the crumbs off the paper, but they still stick to it.  I REALLY wish my doctor would prescribe it compounded into al liquid! Well, even above that, I really wish I had never been put on the stuff in the first place. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Can you get rice paper where you live Ellen? You could put the bits onto rice paper, fold it up and 

swallow the rice paper parcel.

2002  effexor. 

Neat idea, mamaP.  I don't know, but I'll look into it.  Thank you.

• Administrator

You can make a liquid from the trazodone tablet, or have a compounding pharmacy make it.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I think I'm stablized back on my 100mg of trazodone.  I'm taking 50 mg after driving in the morning, and 50mg at bedtime.  The twice a day dosing is really helping me not go through daytime withdrawal each 24 hours, but of course  I'm fighting sleep each day. 

Talked to my  pharmacist yesterday about tapering, and he recommened I try alternating days of 75mg and 100mg until I stabelize, then drop to 75mg each day and stablize, then alternate 75 and 50mg each day until I stablize, then drop to 50mg each day until I stabelize,, then alternate 50mg and 25mg each day and stablize, then drop to 25mg each day and stablize, then to 25mg every other day and stablize then stop.  His advice sound solid to you?  It would amout to dropping 12.5% each time, stablizing, and dropping 12.5% again until I'm off.  I really don't want to be weighing crumbs, and I can't get the liquid, and this is the slowest tapering idea I've come acrossing while just cutting my pills into quarters. 

• Moderator Emeritus

This is the typical tapering advice offered by most doctors and pharmacists. and is not recommended here.

The alternate doses are not good for the nervous system. You can still get withdrawal symptoms and 

end up back on the full dose because doctors say it is a return of symptoms.

Alto is one of the top anti depressant withdrawal specialists in the world and really knows her stuff. It is what

she has researched for many years while suffering badly herself. I would trust what she says above a pharmacist 

who deals with many, many medications daily and trusts the manufacturers to inform them accurately.

Tapering slowly and consistently is definitely the best way to go. It is a challenge, but can be done quite simply

for trazadone. 

I tried the every other day method, increasing the time between doses method, cross tapering and cold turkey.

Every time I was ill and back  on the full dose in no time at all and doctors said I would be on this drug for life because I keep

relapsing when I try to get off. 

I have followed Alto's method, had some glitches along the way but am ready to prove them all wrong :)

2002  effexor. 

• Administrator

You can make a liquid yourself.

FYI -- one of the foremost medical experts on withdrawal syndrome (until he sold out to pharma consulting) is Richard Shelton now at the University of Alabama at Birmingham http://www.uab.edu/medicine/psychiatry/faculty/30-faculty/faculty-bios/409-richard-c-shelton-md-test

If you see him, please say hello for the thousands suffering from prolonged withdrawal syndrome.

This is my first day after shaving not 10mg, but only 5mg off my 100mg trazodone tablets with a razor blade.  Now I have a full-blown migraine again!  I usually only get monthly migraines with my menstrual cycle, not dailey migraines like this!  I've GOT to get off this stuff, but can't endure the wicked migraines.  Anyone know of a natural remedy for migraines that might help?  This is rediculous.  I HATE that I was put on this stuff- and at such a whopping dose.  Thanks in advance.

Thanks, Tezza.  Unfortunately, trazodone isn't water soluble, and my doctor won't prescibe the liquid.  She thinks that if I can't discontinue by cutting 50% each week I need to stay on it.  Good idea though!  Take care.

Ellen can you please explain the metabolite thingy with trazadone that may have give you daytime anxiety?

I have recently started taking nefazadone which is a similar family (different but related).

Thank you

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

Ellen, it's your call, but many people disperse the non-water-soluble crushed tablets in water, stir and measure quickly. But you already know I'm a folded paper and empty capsules gal :)

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

56 years old

Whew! Just got home from my internists' office, and I talked with him about my Trazodone dilemma.  First, he prescribed two 50mg tablets in place of the 100mg tabet to make tapering easier  (my pdoc had refused to do so).  This will make cutting/shaving easier.  Second, he prescibed Lyrica for the rebound headaches.  I hate medicine, but most of all, I want OFF this trazodone, as it's wrecking my life.  Whatcha guys think?  Is Lyrica in any way psychoactive?  Is it habit forming?  I don't want to trade one dependence for another, so I'm thinking I should skip the Lyrica and tough out the migraines.  I didn't fill it today.  Still would like ideas for natural migraine relief, as I'm not ABLE to accurately cut my Rx by less than 5% at a time, and I don't WANT to go slower.  At this rate I'm already looking at about a year to get off Trazodone, and I'm scared I'll lose my job over it from too many mistakes and getting everything done way too slowly.  Anyone know of a natural migraine reliever?  It would help me get off trazodone faster.  Thanks! :)

• Moderator Emeritus

Straight from the lyrica website.

http://www.lyrica.com/

MPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION

LYRICA is not for everyone. LYRICA may cause serious, even life threatening, allergic reactions. Stop taking LYRICA and call your doctor right away if you have any signs of a serious allergic reaction. Some signs are swelling of your face, mouth, lips, gums, tongue, throat or neck, or if you have any trouble breathing, or have a rash, hives or blisters.

Drugs used to treat seizures increase the risk of suicidal thoughts or behavior. LYRICA may cause suicidal thoughts or actions in a very small number of people, about 1 in 500. Patients, family members or caregivers should call the doctor right away if they notice suicidal thoughts or actions, thoughts of self harm, or any unusual changes in mood or behavior. These changes may include new or worsening depression, anxiety, restlessness, trouble sleeping, panic attacks, anger, irritability, agitation, aggression, dangerous impulses or violence, or extreme increases in activity or talking. If you have suicidal thoughts or actions, do not stop LYRICA without first talking to your doctor.

LYRICA may cause swelling of your hands, legs and feet, which can be serious for people with heart problems. LYRICA may cause dizziness and sleepiness. You should not drive or work with machines until you know how LYRICA affects you. Also, tell your doctor right away about muscle pain or problems along with feeling sick and feverish, or any changes in your eyesight including blurry vision, or if you have any kidney problems or get dialysis.

Some of the most common side effects of LYRICA are dizziness, blurry vision, weight gain, sleepiness, trouble concentrating, swelling of your hands and feet, dry mouth, and feeling “high.” If you have diabetes, tell your doctor about any skin sores.

You may have a higher chance for swelling and hives if you are also taking angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors so tell your doctor if you are taking these medications. You may have a higher chance of swelling of your hands or feet or gaining weight if you are also taking certain diabetes medicines. Do not drink alcohol while on LYRICA. You may have a higher chance for dizziness and sleepiness if you take LYRICA with alcohol, narcotic pain medicines, or medicines for anxiety.

Before you start LYRICA, tell your doctor if you are planning to father a child, or if you are pregnant, plan to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding. If you have had a drug or alcohol problem, you may be more likely to misuse LYRICA.

In studies, a specific type of blood vessel tumor was seen in mice, but not in rats. The meaning of these findings in humans is not known.

Do not stop taking LYRICA without talking to your doctor. If you stop suddenly you may have headaches, nausea, diarrhea, trouble sleeping, increased sweating, or you may feel anxious. If you have epilepsy, you may have 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know anyone who takes it but the fact that some people become suicidal  would make me run a mile! 

It's a tough call, a case of one drug to deal with side effects of another , and lyrica has its own side effects.

I'm glad the internist was willing to help with tapering. 

2002  effexor. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, Tezza.  Unfortunately, trazodone isn't water soluble, and my doctor won't prescibe the liquid.  She thinks that if I can't discontinue by cutting 50% each week I need to stay on it.  Good idea though!  Take care.

My med is not water soluble, either. I think everything except the med dissolves. Then, I shake it to suspend the settled particles and draw out what I need. I think a lot of meds make suspensions instead of solutions. Alto left a link for you about making a liquid.

Thanks everyone!  I too have been doing Lyrica research since my last post.  So kind of you guys to look up and post links!  I know the chances of suicidal ideation with Lyrica are only listed as 1 in 500, but I'm afraid that could still include me.  So glad I didn't waste my money on it, and even more glad I didn't take any!  My whole life has already felt like one big black cloud for three days now.  I've only been tapering the trazodone again for one day, and shaved hardly anything off the pill, so that can't be the reason why.  I think I'm still in this black hole because the man I love broke up with me three days ago, well just said he didn't love me anymore, which to me is the same thing.  I know that's a lot of personal information to share, but I still need help!  When my mood gets down or anxious to this extreme, I'm left nearly paralyzed.  I have a million things to do but can't get anything done.  I even gave into Percocet for pain today (I'm physically disabled and sometimes incapacitated from lyme disease, dysautonomia, and a Chiari malformation), but I'm STILL stuck in bed at 3:20pm.  Percocet alleviates my physical suffering, so right now it's just emotional suffering.  I wish I could cry and get it over with.  Do any of you become emotionally incapacitated?  How do you overcome it when you HAVE to go to work, take care of your kids, ect.?  I'm not asking this rhetorically; I need help, answers.  Any input would be most greatly appreciated.  I know I went off on a tangent there, so than you for reading.  I'm asking this last question under my other post now too, because I can't be crippled like this.  I've got a million things to do.  I've got Celexa, but I'm not taking it.  All any SSRI does for me is to take me from depression straight into a panic attack.  Ideas? 

Hi.  I'm starting a new post here, as my previous post has become a discussion of terms.  I still welcome your input anywhere, but I've got a specific problem I need help with here. 

For background info, I have three severe physical illnesses, which in combination often incapacite me.  Today, however, I'm on Percocet, so I'm not physically suffering right now.  However, for the past three days I've been incapcitated with emotional pain.  It's not  from drug withdrawal, as for two of the past three days I've not been tapering at all, and today I'm on merely 5% less of my trazodone than prescribed, and today isn't any harder emotionally than yesterday or the day before.  So I'm sometimes in a black hole even when I'm not tappering a drug.  If it matters, I think that this black hole was triggered by hearing from the man I love that he doesn't love me anymore. 

Reguardless of the cause, I CAN'T be emotionally incapacitated, as I MUST work to provide for my kids, and I MUST continue to take care of them.  I'm a single mom.  No, I'm not suicidal, but the pain is still crippling.  Yes, I do have something to help with the pain, namely Celexa, but I refuse to take the drug, as all any SSRI does for me is take me from depression (please excuse the terminology) straight into a severe panic, which for me is even worse.  It's 4pm, and I still can't get out of bed. My physical illness is extremely challenging, but for the moment, it's not what's keeping me in bed; it's the emotional pain.

I'm not looking for a way to avoid my feelings, but rather for a way to function despite them.  Over the past year I've been crippled with either depression (sorry) or anxiety to the point that I could not MOVE; however, I've had enough saving to get by on that I didn't have to work.  Now my savings have dried up, and I HAVE TO start back to work on Wednesday in order to provide for my kids.  Furthermore, I HAVE TO go pick up my kids from their after school care in one hour no matter how deep this black hole is.  I have no family in state to pick them up for me, and I'm much too sick to go out and make friends (who could help in times of need). I MUST work, and I MUST take care of my children, but right now I CAN'T do either.  

HELP!  I know there are others on this board who have learned to function through the depths of despair and anxiety that I so often experience.  Please share with me how!!!  I need your help right away.  Thank you for reading this book, and thank you for any feedback.  God bless you!

I read a book on the impact of "social rhythm" on mood. Getting out of bed at the same time everyday is thing one. I HAVE to get up at 5:30 AM every morning to be stable (sometimes I just sit on the couch). I HAVE to eat healthy food, no gluten and almost no grain, to be stable. I can't go long without sunshine or exercise. Alternatively, you might have to look into disability. I know those aren't fun answers, but that has been my experience.

56 years old

Thank you.  I do get up a 6am every morning to get my kids ready for school (and now for work too).  Granted, I'm often back on the couch by 7am, but at least I'm awake. If I stay sitting up too long I pass out.  That's why I'm on disability already.  I can't live on disability alone, though, as I only get 10K/year.   I frequently wake up for good at 2 or 3am.  I'm a chronic insomniac.  I'm WAY too sick for exercise.  I can't even walk one city block without passing out-literally.  I eat a carbohydrate free diet most of the time, but I did eat left over cranberry sauce since Thanksgiving.  Maybe that's a trigger.  I'll try cutting it out.  Thank you.

I know you are in an extremely tough situation, and you are obviously very strong to have gotten through all that you have. How old are your children? Mine are 12 and 15...failing so often as a mom has been by far the worst of this. If I were you, I would.have a lot of grief now over the loss of the possibility of having a second adult in the household to help with money and responsibilities.

56 years old

Thank you again, Meimeiquest.  My kids are 11 and 9.  I sometimes feel like a rotten mom too, because there's so little I can do for and with my kids, but in my case they at least have a visible, tangible way to see that mom is sick.  They see me fainting left and right.  If you're physically well, you're in a tougher spot as a mom, because your kids have no visible way to see that you're suffering and probably expect more from you than my kids expect of me.  I'd say that my kids are the two most understanding people in the whole world about my illness.  Aside from the emotional suffering, they "get it".  I'm blessed there.  You're right: the number one reason I'm in such emotional pain right now is the loss of the man I love.  I'm not grieving the loss of potential physical and financial help, though, but rather the loss of his love.  I feel so terribly alone, unwanted, un-needed, and worthless.

Ellen you are the second person to share about the end of relationship and it is a big hit.  It gives most people the blues and depending on the relationship, it can cause panic attacks and tremendous sadness and depression.

The good news is that if someone tells you they don't love you anymore and they walk ~ let them.

I did look up the link Alto posted for you about the metabolite in trazadone and it is in nefazadone (serzone) as well which can produce daytime anxiety as you explained.

There are members here who have taken Lyrica and there is WD from that too it seems, so better off without it.

As for Celexa.....I just got off that.  It was very stimulating for me.  I guess it is better for someone who is quite depressed.  Then again....one never knows with these medications.

The emotional incapacitation ~ have been there more times than I care to think about. :blink: I was there last week.  The physical issues that come along with WD do not bother me as much as the emotional/mental stuff.

You asked about coping with it.  Crying is not a bad thing it helps to purge. Posting on the site is a life saver.  The people here will help see you thru the worst of times and better times too.  Journaling, meditating, prayer.  In the throes of WD it can feel like a waste, but it can help.

The best medicine for me is and was working.  Ellen I made many mistakes at work during my Lexapro taper.  My memory was shot.  At that time I had a very nice job with people who really liked me and I liked them alot too.  Take your time, write yourself notes, take deep breaths and listen attentively, ask people to repeat what they said and jot it down.  Make sure you eat breakfast, lunch and dinner to be more alert.

You sound very good in spite of what you have going on.

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine