SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Ellen: hi - withdrawing from Trazodone

Ellen042

• Administrator

None of the above. I'm a self-taught peer counselor.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ellen042

• mammaP

• Altostrata

• Meimeiquest

Top Posters In This Topic

Well you sound professional nonetheless. :) Maybe it's your self-confidence.

insomnia, anxiety, depression- since childhood

lyme disease, dysautonomia, chiari malformation- dx 4/1997

nortriptyline- 75mg since childhood

clonazepam- 3mg since 4/1997

trazodone-100mg since 4/2013, now tapering

rotating antibiotics and antimalarials for lyme disease

midodrine- 10mg for dysautonomia

repeated skull surgeries for chiari malformation

• Administrator

I've been studying withdrawal for 9 years.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I started something a bit out of the ordinary on Dec 4th, as I had to start my new job Dec 5th.  NO WAY can I work on 100mg of trazodone or any amount close to it!  You may recall that both my 50% and 5% reductions failed.  As I knew I needed off the drug ASAP due to adverse reactions, I tried cutting the dose to 75%, i.e. 75mg.  Strangely, even five days later I'm still getting no withdrawal symptoms!  Just a tad more energy and a tad more mental clarity.  I don't want to jinx it, so I'm staying on this dose through December.  I know this goes against the 10% per month guideline, but with such an "adverse" reaction to the drug (zombied, weak, bedridden and brain dead) I had to give it a try. Boy do I wish I could just stop it! But I already know that I can't, so for January I'll try 50mg.  I'm so happy that something is working! I was concerned for a while there that it would take years to get off trazodone, meaning I'd lose my job and lose custody of my kids.Thank God I'm coming off faster!  Will keep you updated.  Thank you for all your support and acceptance. 

Oh, and I made it through the day yesterday and today so far without crying over my ex-fiance.  If I weren't so physically sick, I think I'd even be open to dating again.  As it is, work, home, and two kids zap every iota of strength out of me.  Wish this weren't the case, as I think dating would be good for my emotional healing.  I just have to remember that if God doesn't want me alone for the rest of my life, He will provide a way for me to date and perhaps even marry again. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Ellen--

Just skimmed your thread and I've probably missed a lot, but I wanted to toss this out there: part of what you're going through could be delayed withdrawal symptoms from Celexa. That is not at all unusual with ADs. People often come off them, think they're doing fine, and then get hit a few months out. That could easily be contributing to your problems with the trazodone, both with taking it and with tapering it. Just a thought.

Also, as I think it was tezza who said, as long as your pill will dissolve you can make your own liquid for tapering. The drug itself does not have to be soluble, as long as you keep the suspension stirred up well when you measure from it. It's much easier to control doses with liquid, and controlling doses helps a lot with controlling withdrawal symptoms.

My two cents. Good luck to you, sounds like you're going through a very, very challenging time!

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• Moderator Emeritus

I hope it works for you Ellen, are the migraines staying away?  I hope so. 

Rhi made a good point that it could be withdrawal from celexa that is complicating things, hadn't occurred to me!

Let us know how it's going. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Still migraine free and free of irritability, insomnia, and anxiety too.  I know they can still kick in later, so I'm not dropping the dose further for quite a long time.  To me it seems odd that Celexa withdrawal could cause me to have mainly have physically unbearable symptoms while on trazodone, and mainly psychological problems off it or when tapering to the wrong dose.  If it were celexa withdrawal it seems like I'd have at least some symptoms overlapping while on and off trazodone.  Guess there's no way to prove it either way anyway. Thanks, though for pointing out the possibility.  Hope you're all doing OK tonight.  :)

Ended up crying over my ex after all today.  Guess that's to be expected when I was engaged to him and now he's gone.  Trying not to expect too much of myself right now- just work and raise my son and daughter.  Good night. 

Beware of trazodone WD in the 3rd week out. 25mgs is a big drop...Myself and 2 friends did an experiment with the traz and dropped different mgs..It did not work out well for any of us in that 3rd week..The anxiety increases daily..I went back to the original dose and the other 2 stuck it out.They are both still having a lot of memory loss and anxiety, We hope you are lucky and can have the success we hope for......we need off this drug so badly.I think it messes with some all day. My next step is to have it compounded to go slower.Ill really dont want to replace...The medicine head and traz hangover is awful. My thoughts are with you......flower

C/T Celexa and Trazadone on Jan.29th 2014
Prescribed 1mg of Klonopin every 6 hours on Jan.29th
Began tapering Klonopin April 18th..stretching time between doses...at first one hour for 2 weeks then a half hour for app.10 days then another half hour 10days later.
Presently at .25 three times a day..6 2 and 10pm. Trying to stabilize.
Also still taking gabapentin 300mgs 2xs a day..

Thanks Flower!  Do you know for the other two when the WD symptoms peaked, that is when the stopped getting worse and started getting better?  This is just the start of my second week down to 75mg.  Still no WD symptoms yet.  Will not drop further until whatever comes along peaks and completely abates.  Thanks for the caution.  Blessings.

Still week two on 75mg trazodone, and the migraine hit. D*** I*!  Help.  I can't work through it, and I can't go back to nearly 100mg of trazodone, as it physically incapacitates me and kills my memory, and I can't support my family on $20K/yr of disability.  What now?  Work starts back Wednesday.  If only there were something to ease the migraine!  My doctor won't Rx 30 Immetrex pills per month, only 9 for my monthly migraine.  Already cycled and used them.  IS THERE ANYTHING OTHER THAN DRUGS THAT WILL STOP A MIGRAINE?  I already take SloMag (magnesium that doesn't cause diarrhea- it's 64mg if I'm not mistaken).  I cannot tolerate fish oil but do eat lots of nuts and take flax seed. Please, if you know of a way to stop a daily endless migraine, please share it with me.  I can't work like this, and I can't work on nearly 100mg of trazodone,  and I can't quit my job.  Thank you!

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Ellen, this is a long shot and might be completely useless BUT,  I made my daughter an

amber necklace and it helped her headaches. For milleniums amber has been used as an

analgesic,made into necklaces, bracelets or ankle bands. It is a resin from tree sap and it

is the oil that is absorbed which helps with pain. They are available for teething babies too,

NOT for babies to chew as some seem to think, but mums swear by them for teething pain. 

Just thought it worth mentioning, I made the necklace without thinking about the analgesia 

then one day she said she hadn't had a headache since I gave it to her. 

I think I'll have to borrow hers and see if it helps my aches now I've thought about it! 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Administrator

Have you tried magnesium glycinate? Start with 100mg or less. Some people can take 500mg or more. 64mg of magnesium is not a lot of magnesium.

Thank you both.  Will try both.  I'm desperate.

I'm thinking of you Ellen...there's more of us in hell from trazodone than you realize....It doesn't want to give up...

C/T Celexa and Trazadone on Jan.29th 2014
Prescribed 1mg of Klonopin every 6 hours on Jan.29th
Began tapering Klonopin April 18th..stretching time between doses...at first one hour for 2 weeks then a half hour for app.10 days then another half hour 10days later.
Presently at .25 three times a day..6 2 and 10pm. Trying to stabilize.
Also still taking gabapentin 300mgs 2xs a day..

Thank you, flower.  Have you been able to stabilize on a lower dose than prescribes yet? So far, the anxiety and cognitive impairment have improved quite a bit on this 25% reduction for me, but I'm far from stabilized due to the migraine.  I think I'm going to have to take Excedrin Migraine this week for work.  I hate taking all that caffeine, but as described already, I can't quit my job.  Thank you for the support.  I think of you too and will pray for you.  Blessings.

Hi Ellen. I as well was suffering horrendous side effects with the 50 mg dosage of Trazodone. It all started when I ran out of my rx for 5 days and immediately reinstated...2 weeks later I suffered horrific feelings even though I started taking it again. That was back in July. I tried to stabilize for 3 months but could barely get out of bed so I tapered off very quickly which I do not recommend! In any case, I am *better* than I was on the drug...luckily I am able to work but feel sick almost every day. Main symptoms are depression, heart palps, feeling like chemicals are in my brain, extreme fatigue, intrusive thoughts, etc. I am still on zoloft and that is my next battle as I think it is making me feel sick too ! I am trying to let the pain run through me...if I think about how awful I feel each day I begin to panic. I am trying to treat it like a disease. A few years ago I went through benzo withdrawal and was able to predict my w/d symptoms based on my cuts. This whole trazodone thing has been the exact opposite! I'm afraid I'll never get better:( Although, I am know deep down this is the drug and eventually I have to heal. Hang in there....you can do this! Trazadone has a powerful hold!

-given Prozac at 12 due to panic attacks for 6months

-Med free until 2008 when I was 20 years old 
-2008-2009- Pristiq, followed by quick taper. 
-1/10-Rxed 50mg Zoloft & .5mg Klonopin daily after a death in the family

- 2/2012 Successfully micro tapered off .5mg of Klonopin after taking daily for 2 years. Started 100mg of Trazadone for sleep .

- Oct 2013- Quickly tapered off trazadone. Bad idea! But finally trazadone free. 

- July 2015- present Became very ill with lyme like sxs

-August 2018-present. Started micro taper off 50mg of Zoloft via liquid titration  ... 

- July 2021- down to 3mg.. had digestive issues so got an endoscopy and major flair! 
-March 2022- tried cross tapers to Prozac and lexapro did not work. Jumped off everything.

-Present: Med free and pregnant! Aside from some health issues I’m doing better than expected!! 

Thank you, Anna!  This is harder to come off than Lortab, Percocet, or Xanax.  I've come off all three after skull surgeries, and none was as brutal as trazodone.  Where does this stuff get its evil power?!?  I thought it was an SARI.  I've come off both SNRI's and SSRI's without a problem (and cold turkey too)  so what's the big deal with being a serotonin antagonist reuptake inhibitor?  One would think if I can come off most any other AD without a problem, I could do the same with trazodone as well.  I am so very, very angry with my doctor for putting me on this with NO warnings whatsoever about it being so terribly habit-forming. 

Ellen, I agree...who would of thought Trazodone would have been the most addicting! Looking at your hx it doesn't look like you've been on it that long so that's definitely in your favor! We will get through this. Stay in touch <3

-given Prozac at 12 due to panic attacks for 6months

-Med free until 2008 when I was 20 years old 
-2008-2009- Pristiq, followed by quick taper. 
-1/10-Rxed 50mg Zoloft & .5mg Klonopin daily after a death in the family

- 2/2012 Successfully micro tapered off .5mg of Klonopin after taking daily for 2 years. Started 100mg of Trazadone for sleep .

- Oct 2013- Quickly tapered off trazadone. Bad idea! But finally trazadone free. 

- July 2015- present Became very ill with lyme like sxs

-August 2018-present. Started micro taper off 50mg of Zoloft via liquid titration  ... 

- July 2021- down to 3mg.. had digestive issues so got an endoscopy and major flair! 
-March 2022- tried cross tapers to Prozac and lexapro did not work. Jumped off everything.

-Present: Med free and pregnant! Aside from some health issues I’m doing better than expected!! 

• Administrator

The cumulative effect of going on and and coming off neuroactive drugs can cause your nervous system to be sensitized to drug changes.

Thanks, Alto, but I don't know what you're responding to.  Both I and and many in these threads have gone off and back on meds.  I'm not going back up to 100mg trazodone, if that's what you were referring to, but you could have been pointing to caffeine.  Just couldn't follow your line of thinking.  Sorry- my brain is still fried on trazodone!

• Administrator

What I was saying was your entire history of going on and off drugs has sensitized you to reductions in trazodone. Trazodone itself is not any more or less difficult to quit than any other psych drug. This is an indication to be very careful about neuroactive drugs in the future.

• Moderator Emeritus

Dear Ellen,

I've been following your posts and feeling for you.

grief over loss also comes in windows and waves.Don't expect it to be gone forever when u wake up one day.But it's great that you have more periods when you feel ok about it!

I sympathise so much with your struggle to work amidst all this WD awfullness.I'm doing the same so I know how hard it is.

Reading about your migraines, I had an idea. i've been reading people say aspirin,paracetamol and ibuprofen help them with anxiety.Haven't tried it yet but definitely plan to.

As far as I know,they are also painkillers so I was thinking you might try them for migraines...a long shot and just an idea but here it is ;)

hugs,

bubble

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

Thank you, bubble. I've never heard of paracetamol. Is it sold in combo with acetaminophen and ibuprofen as an OTC drug? If so, what is it called? Had to take Excedrin Migraine to make it through work yesterday, and I hardly slept last night due to all the caffeine in it. At work again now and just had to pop another Excedrin Migraine. Not fun.

I think different people's bodies are sensitive to different medicines, at least from what I've experienced and heard about from other patients. I was also able to stop Lyrica cold turkey with no new withdrawal symptoms AFTER I started tapering trazodone. Trazodone is a migraine preventative, and I am very migraine prone, so it makes sense that withdrawal would give me a killer migraine. Yes, of course starting and stopping different psychoactive drugs makes us more sensitive neurologically, but in my case, I think trazodone is the hardest to come off due to the migraines it can cause in withdrawal. I'm nearly a migraine waiting to happen, and I believe that's why I'm so sensitive to trazodone withdrawal.

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm from Europe so I don't know what paracetamol eqivalent in the States is. Just saw also mentioning it so I assumed it would be the same.

It's just a very mild general painkiller and fever reducer so probably couldn't do much for migraine...

But Ibuprofen is stronger. There is a short post by Alto in Symptoms and self-care on how they help with anxiety (Alto took Aspirin but mentions the others as well).

Hope the migraine goes away soon! You are showing incredible stamina and endurance...

Xo

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

• Moderator Emeritus

I think paracetamol is tylenol in the US. 

2002  effexor. 

:( Magnesium and amber didn't help.  Thank you for the suggestions though.  Guess I'm stuck on Excedrin Migraine for workdays and just riding out the migraine no matter how many months it takes.  If I could work on 100mg of trazodone I'd go back up at this point, but I can't, so I won't.  Just hoping I'll see light at the end of the tunnel sometime soon.  Thank you for your support. 

Does the chiari malformation play into this?

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

Yes, the Chiari malformation may well be playing into the migraines.  It usually just gives me occipital pain though, but it certainly makes narcotics ineffective for migraines, as I've developed some narcotic tolerance with the endless skull surgeries I've had.  Nothing I can do about it though, other than of course more surgery.  Opting out of that for now.  I only give into the surgeries when the alternative is paralasis or death.  We can come off drugs with time and patience, but surgeries can't be undone, and of course carry their own risks.  Thank you for asking.  More than anything else, the dysautonomia makes me migraine prone- not the chiari or the lyme disease.  Merry Christmas everyone!

.i can't imagine that you have time to read much, but there is an interesting e-book that is actually mostly about dysautonomia. It is about CFS, but that condition seems to involve a lot of dysautonomia. My guess is that there are multiple ways, including WD, that can bring the brain to that state. Title is Unraveling CFS.

No matter what, you are very courageous, and I am sorry for your suffering.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

56 years old

To Alto-

You mentioned something in one of your posts that I can't find again but wanted to ask you about.  I have (in my own words) anxiety, but also suffered one psychotic break back in 2006.  Doctors have wanted me to try atypical AP's to prevent another break, but you mentioned something about bipolar? meds being ineffective for preventing psychotic breaks.  I think you may have also posted a link, but I can't find that either.  If you did, could you please repost the link here for me? 

I've declined all AP's after trying them for just a few days, as I couldn't tolerate the side effects.  Of course I also know nothing about their (in my own words) addictive nature.  Glad I refused!  The one psychotic break I had was upon abrupt Klonopin withdrawal.  From what I've read, it's a known withdrawal risk.  I had an auditory hallucination, called my doctor and reported it, and he immediately put me back on the Klonopin.  Why would they be wanting to add an atypical AP instead of never again taking me off the Klonopin?  Makes no sense to me.  I thought drugs were for underlying disorders, not for treating adverse drug reactions either upon taking them or stopping them. 

Sorry to be long-winded, but if the article you mentioned is in a reputable psychiatry journal, I'd love to look it up, print it out, and give it to any doctor who may ever suggest again that I try a "bipolar" med to prevent an adverse reaction to sudden Klonopin withdrawal. 

Thanks for all the work you do and for being here for us. 

And Merry Christmas!

• Administrator

Please look in the Media and Journals forums for the article you're asking about. Offhand, I don't know which it is.

If you're not having psychotic symptoms now, there is no reason for you to take an antipsychotic, with all your other health problems, particularly if you tend to have adverse reactions to them.

I have to say if you had an auditory hallucination and called the doctor, that's not really a psychotic break. I don't think psychotic people generally have the insight to take appropriate action, but maybe I don't understand completely.

56 years old

• Administrator

There's a wide range of "normal" that includes hallucinations, hearing voices, etc. And, Ellen, with your extensive medical and drug history, I would guess symptoms 7 years ago might have been connected to your skull problems, surgeries, or medications.

This is week three on a 25% reduction of trazodone. I'm still handling the migraines with Excedrin Migraine on work days. Now I have a new symptom coming on, and I don't know if it's a drug side effect, a WD effect, an underlying illness, or environmental; as I've had this symptom in the past, even before starting any drugs.  I'm just feeling down in the dumps with no hope of my life ever getting better, no hope for my physical and emotional recovery, very little hope of ever getting of trazodone, lonely, discouraged, and fighting tears.  Of course a shrink would automatically call it clinical depression, but I'd love to get to the root cause to get rid of it if at all possible.  Still broken hearted over losing my fiance, still down from being so very physically sick for 17 years, and still down because I can't be the mom I want to be, BUT if I knew that a drug were causing this I could taper it, and if I knew it were a trazodone WD symptom I could expect it to get better with time. It's just all so complex.  Of course I like looking at the big picture and considering all possibilties before jumping to conclusions, but this hurts in the meantime.  Any support or insight would be welcome.  Thank you.  Have a blessed Christmas.

• Moderator Emeritus

Oh, Ellen! I wish I had something to tell you except that what you wrote so precisely reflects my thoughts of today: my depression has a different face-a total lack of energy and motivation,isolation,just want to lie in bed and can't do anything or meet anyone.

These are sensations I had before drugs,that led me to take them. The same way as you, I'm not sure it's WD to know it will pass with time, not sure it's a consequence of taking drugs so that going off them would make this state go away...

But as I write this, I feel the hope for you and me:we have achieved and are achieving so much even with our 'broken wings', we are fighters:we will cry and be numb but rise in the end leaving no stone unturned to make ourselves feel better.

It's not just WD or the drugs, it's a lot more complex but working on our emotions,developing better coping skills, etc. I believe we can feel better about our painful past and more able to enjoy our future with the challenges it holds. But the present moment is all we have. In this moment we can just accept our brokeness,knowing it will pass (and come back) and remember our achievements: you have kids, you are a great mom even when you can't perform as you could and want to, you are bravely dealing with loss and work despite all these adversities!

Christmas is the birth of the God who suffered a lot...

I feel hope for us and feel grateful for this forum. Reading your thoughts which are so similar to mine made me feel much less lonely. More than spending Christmas with my dear brother and sister.

I pray for relief for both of us...

Blessed Christmas to you too.

Bubble