pinkpeony Don't let me go it alone. Pristiq 100-> 50 tomorrow :('''''

pinkpeony

I am going to call around and ask if anyone helps with tapering off of antidepressants. I plan on going from Pristiq 50mg -> 100-150mg of venlafaxine (reg. effexor immediate release)-> prozac (using gelatin capsules)  The problem is I KNOW for a fact I have two hurdles 1. my psych will not want to do this whatsoever. 2. my hubby will freak.

Was on antidepressants since I was a teen. Got off Pristiq in Dec 2013. Completely off of all antidepressants in March 2014.

Currently taking: Xyrem 3g 2xs a night

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/5353-pinkpeony-dont-let-me-go-it-alone-pristiq-100-50-tomorrow/

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pinkpeony

• Altostrata

• mammaP

• Meimeiquest

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

If you find any doctors who understand tapering, please add their contact information to our list.

Please concentrate on lowering Pristiq first. I would not plan on switching to Effexor and then Prozac. A switch is risky enough doing it once.

Many people do well with fish oil and magnesium supplements, seehttp://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/ 

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

If you find any doctors who understand tapering, please add their contact information to our list.

Please concentrate on lowering Pristiq first. I would not plan on switching to Effexor and then Prozac. A switch is risky enough doing it once.

Just got off phone with the psych who put me on Pristiq. She said she wouldn't add anything to the 50mg. and that I will be fine just going from 100mg to 50mg. Then she says she will call in 10mg Lexapro so I can go on that after I get to 50mg of Pristiq. She said "then we can try a diff med for you". I didn't want to tell her I don't want to get on a med ever again so I said ok. So good thing is she called in the lexapro. I can use that to help taper down from the 100mg if I absolutely go nutsos. However, if Im ok tapering then I will just take 10 mg for a while after the 50mg of Pristiq and then slowly taper off that. Sound like a plan? Add her to list or no? 

Thanks for the resources!

Was on antidepressants since I was a teen. Got off Pristiq in Dec 2013. Completely off of all antidepressants in March 2014.

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/5353-pinkpeony-dont-let-me-go-it-alone-pristiq-100-50-tomorrow/

• Administrator

Your doctor does not have a clue about tapering. I would not substitute Lexapro for Pristiq.

The most likely substitute is regular Effexor. Please read the Pristiq topic again.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I know! I said "But...but I'm going from an SNRI to an SSRI". She said "You'll be fine." I'm scared.

• Administrator

It's entirely up to you. Going to Lexapro may work, it may not. Your doctor is not particularly knowledgeable about tapering.

Please read the tips for tapering Pristiq topic again. If you don't mind, I won't repeat the stuff about substituting Effexor, it's frustrating for me.

I'll just find a new doc. No i totally understand. I copied and pasted everything you wrote on Effexor. That really is the best plan i think. Ill find someone to do it. Its a fairly big city. Thanks!

• Administrator

By the way, the diagnosis MUST read "narcolepsy" for prescription of Xyrem. By law, it cannot be prescribed for anything else.

By the way, the diagnosis MUST read "narcolepsy" for prescription of Xyrem. By law, it cannot be prescribed for anything else.

It does. Just wondering how excessive daytime sleepiness got changed to Narcolepsy. I'll tackle this when the time comes I guess. It's just wonderful to think that maybe..just maybe i don't have it. Maybe its just wishful thinking.

So I called my doctor back. I spent forever explaining in detail what I wanted. Thinking we finally understood each other I went to pick up the meds. She ordered effexor xr 37.5 mg. Sigh. What to do now... 

Three 37.5 would equal 112.5g Effexor XR.. then I could just taper down using gelatin capsules and going down by 12.5- which would be 1/3 of the contents of the capsule.. but will that work with extended release?

Ah found this topic: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2878-micro-taper-instead-of-10-or-5-decreases/   Guess it will work. Sorry I should have searched before asking.

• Administrator

Have you read the topic about tapering Effexor? Do this first.

I read it. I don't mean to be a pest.. but I still can't figure out if taking three 37.5mg Effexor XR would be ok to switch from 50mg Effexor XR.  Still waiting for the brain zaps. I've got my bro and his fiance coming over on Wednesday. Will I be ok then? When should I expect brain zaps if I went down to 50mg from 100mg on 12/05/13? Thanks so much for your patience. I'm really trying to understand. Sorry if its frustrating. 

• Moderator Emeritus

I read it. I don't mean to be a pest.. but I still can't figure out if taking three 37.5mg Effexor XR would be ok to switch from 50mg Effexor XR. 

I'm not understanding this, did you mean 50mg Pristiq?

You might not get brain zaps, not everyone does, for me they were one of the least bothersome symptoms.  But going from 100mg to 50mg was a big cut, and you may get some symptoms, but no one can predict, you will just have to wait and see.

I would think several weeks would be needed to see how this is going to effect you, before considering making any more changes.  Unless you are having obvious adverse effect from a medication, its always best to be cautious with tapering in order to protect the stability of your nervous system.

Someone else may be able to help you with your question about the Pristiq/Effexor switch.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

This is just a thought...if you celebrate Christmas, do you want to get into all this right now? I'm wishing I had waited on my latest cut. Actually, I may just up dose, thinking about it right now :)

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

I'm not understanding this, did you mean 50mg Pristiq?

You might not get brain zaps, not everyone does, for me they were one of the least bothersome symptoms.  But going from 100mg to 50mg was a big cut, and you may get some symptoms, but no one can predict, you will just have to wait and see.

Yes sorry. Switch from 50mg Pristiq.

I always get brain zaps. Everytime I've ever switched meds or tried to taper from any antidepressant. It was the worst part of it.

This is just a thought...if you celebrate Christmas, do you want to get into all this right now? I'm wishing I had waited on my latest cut. Actually, I may just up dose, thinking about it right now :)

To be honest I have to now. It is causing my heart to race so much. Also, my relatives are used to me never being able to do anything. My brother is getting married this month. I'm just hoping i can keep it together.

Many people have gotten brain zap help with fish oil...there is a pinned thread on that topic.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

Alto? I read your discussion about tapering Pristiq again. You said:

According to FDA Prescribing Information for venlafaxine (Effexor), the usual dose of Effexor is 150mg per day.

Like Pristiq, Effexor XR is released gradually and needs to be taken only once a day.

Since 150mg Effexor and 50mg Pristiq are both "normal" dosages of their respective drugs, they may be roughly equivalent. (See discussion of Effexor and Pristiq dosage equivalency starting http://survivinganti...dpost__p__42249 )

You'd have the difficulty of tapering off Effexor or Effexor XR -- themselves notorious for withdrawal difficulties -- but at least you can do that gradually. See Tips for tapering off Effexor and Effexor XR (venlafaxine).

So, since I have 37.5g of Effexor XR I would take four of them once I am completely stabilized on the 50mg Pristiq? Or would you suggest a different dosage? I want to make sure I'm doing exactly what you think. I'm very sorry I didn't get it in regular Effexor. You do mention Effexor XR in the tapering of Pristiq, though. How many weeks would you recommend waiting after stable on Pristiq 50mg to try switching to Effexor XR? Stability to me would be...no brain zaps, a level mood. Yes? Thanks so much for your advice!

Posted Image

In reading through the experiences of others in introductions, I seem to find one thing in common with us (besides the obvious coming off of antidepressants). We all seem like our childhood selves. Lost and alone. Scared. Unable to understand directions because we are so afraid. We want to scream and run in any direction. And so I think we need to tell ourselves what our parents would have said. "Shh. Don't panic." And so I will tell myself: "Ever gently, ever slowly, ever listening.." We can find our way out of the scary forest. The admins are here to help. We have to breathe and try to listen- to them and to ourselves and take it slow. Don't panic! Don't try to run! Listen.. softly listen. One step at a time towards the light.

• Administrator

Did you just go to 50mg rather than an intermediate dose of 75mg?

How do you feel now?

Did you just go to 50mg rather than an intermediate dose of 75mg?How do you feel now?

Yes I did because we weren't sure how it would effect me. I was afraid of the dose-dumping and taking it right before bed...well that is when I take Xyrem and I was afraid of the mix. I feel fine other then slight vertigo and irritability. However I know the brain zaps are coming. Just unsure how long it will be till they happen.  :(  :unsure:  :wacko:

• Administrator

You may not get brain zaps. It will take at least 4 days for your system to register the full dosage drop.

If all is well, I suggest you stay at 50mg for a bit, to give your system time to settle down.

You may not get brain zaps. It will take at least 4 days for your system to register the full dosage drop.If all is well, I suggest you stay at 50mg for a bit, to give your system time to settle down.

Then tomorrow it will prob be bad. I will stay strong! And yes.. that's a very good idea. I will stay at 50mg. as long as you suggest. Thanks so much for being there for me. I don't know what I would do without you helping me. I know you prob hear it all the time.. but just in case, thank you SO much for volunteering to help us. 

• Administrator

If you get brain zaps, you can add a crumb of a tablet to tide you over. This worked for one of our members.

Well its the 9th and still no brain zaps. I am very irritable, though. Perhaps I won't get zaps after all. Can't wait till the irritability is gone. Said something mean the other day and just feel horrible about it. :(

Ok strange turn of events. I'm super happy today.  :blink:  Is this normal? I remember getting off Effexor XR and cymbalta and it was horrible! Was this it? Is it over? Why am I happier than normal? I'm going to wait awhile before tapering again but I'd just like to know if this sort of rebound is normal. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Glad to hear you're having a good day! All kinds of emotional changes can be part of withdrawal. It tends to be roller coaster-ey. Don't despair if you have bad times, the good ones will come back. Hopefully this is a good sign!

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

Hmm my heart racing seems to have come back with a vengeance. Could it be that I am now stabilized at 50mg that it is starting again from Pristiq? Could it be because of Xyrem? Those are the only two meds I'm on. Still nice to feel happy again.

Welcome pinpeony,

Were you ever tested for sleep apnea since excess sleepingess can be the result of that?

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

• Administrator

Yes, it could be that 50mg is also too much for your system. Time for phase 2. How do you want to reduce from 50mg?

Welcome pinpeony,

Were you ever tested for sleep apnea since excess sleepingess can be the result of that?

CS

Yes well the first doctor said I had it. I was put on a cpap machine. Then recent sleep doctor said there is no way I could have it because I would have to be at least slightly overweight and I'm too skinny. Told me to go off cpap machine.

Yes, it could be that 50mg is also too much for your system. Time for phase 2. How do you want to reduce from 50mg?

I was actually hoping you might give me some advice about how? I have Effexor XR 37.5mg pills. Doctor said I should switch straight from 50mg Pristiq to one 37.5 Effexor XR. However, I think that 50mg Pristiq would equal three of those. What would you do Alto?

pinkpeony,

Weight has nothing to do with sleep apnea and that doctor who told you it did without a sleep study is full of garbage. If you had a sleep study and your first doctor confirmed it, then it is vital to either use the cpap machine or an alternative method to take care of your apnea depending on the severity.

If you didn't have a sleep study, what does the data from the pap machine indicate?  Even though obviously a machine can't diagnose a condition, if it is still listing apneas that the machine didn't catch, obviously you have something.

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia