SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

pinkpeony Don't let me go it alone. Pristiq 100-> 50 tomorrow :('''''

pinkpeony

pinkpeony,

Weight has nothing to do with sleep apnea and that doctor who told you it did without a sleep study is full of garbage. If you had a sleep study and your first doctor confirmed it, then it is vital to either use the cpap machine or an alternative method to take care of your apnea depending on the severity.

If you didn't have a sleep study, what does the data from the pap machine indicate?  Even though obviously a machine can't diagnose a condition, if it is still listing apneas that the machine didn't catch, obviously you have something.

CS

I did have a complete sleep study. They are the ones that diagnosed me with sleep apnea. My doctor here said I couldn't possibly have it, sent me home with something I wore on my finger at night. He called and said the study said I didn't have it. Wouldn't the complete overnight sleep study at the sleep clinic be more accurate? Hmm.

Was on antidepressants since I was a teen. Got off Pristiq in Dec 2013. Completely off of all antidepressants in March 2014.

Currently taking: Xyrem 3g 2xs a night

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/5353-pinkpeony-dont-let-me-go-it-alone-pristiq-100-50-tomorrow/

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pinkpeony

• Altostrata

• mammaP

• Meimeiquest

Top Posters In This Topic

Alto? Alto! hehe I need your advice. I will go ahead and take a Pristiq again today. I don't want to taper till I know what you think I should do. Should I try to cut it in half? Should I take one effexor xr instead? Should I take 3 effexor xr instead? What would you do? Thanks so much.

Was on antidepressants since I was a teen. Got off Pristiq in Dec 2013. Completely off of all antidepressants in March 2014.

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/5353-pinkpeony-dont-let-me-go-it-alone-pristiq-100-50-tomorrow/

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi PP, Alto isn't in yet but I've just been looking at the pristiqe thread. 50mg pristique = 150mg 

effexor. Do you have effexor tablets or slow release capsules?  If they are tablets you would need to take 

them twice per day, capsules just once a day. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Moderator Emeritus

Ok, 4 capsules would give you the 150mg per day to equal 50mg pristiqe.

You are wanting to reduce the dose but to take 3 capsules would be a 25%drop.

You might want to try that as I see the 50mg pristique was possibly too much.

You could maybe updose slightly  from there if you feel the need. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Yah I would feel more comfy with three versus four capsules. I hate it that Effexor XR was soo much worse getting off of. Pristiq is so nice to get off of but its so wrong that they don't make smaller doses! I might try going to three capsules Effexor XR tomorrow and see how I feel. Or... I might wait till Monday as I have an plans this weekend.  Either way, thanks for your help. :)

• Moderator Emeritus

I would invest in a milligram scale, there is a topic on using one here http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1596-using-a-digital-scale-to-measure-doses/#entry6765

Those pesky beads in the capsules are all different shapes and sizes, they jump around like

2 years olds on a trampoline and end up everywhere!  They are available on Amazon quite cheaply. 

2002  effexor. 

I would invest in a milligram scale, there is a topic on using one here http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1596-using-a-digital-scale-to-measure-doses/#entry6765

Those pesky beads in the capsules are all different shapes and sizes, they jump around like

2 years olds on a trampoline and end up everywhere!  They are available on Amazon quite cheaply. 

Great idea! Thanks so much.

• Administrator

pp, this is a tough one. It sounds like you need to reduce the amount of desvenlafaxine you're taking.

If I were you, I might reduce by cutting the Pristiq into quarters, take 2 quarters (25mg) in the morning and 1 quarter (12.5mg) in the evening, for 4 days. This is more or less equivalent to taking regular Effexor.

Then take the 1 quarter Pristiq in the morning with 1 capsule (37.5mg) Effexor XR, and one quarter Pristiq in the evening, for 4 days.

Then take 2 capsules Effexor XR (total 75mg) in the morning for a month.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

That sounds like the best plan  :)

2002  effexor. 

pp, this is a tough one. It sounds like you need to reduce the amount of desvenlafaxine you're taking.

If I were you, I might reduce by cutting the Pristiq into quarters, take 2 quarters (25mg) in the morning and 1 quarter (12.5mg) in the evening, for 4 days. This is more or less equivalent to taking regular Effexor.

Then take the 1 quarter Pristiq in the morning with 1 capsule (37.5mg) Effexor XR, and one quarter Pristiq in the evening, for 4 days.

Then take 2 capsules Effexor XR (total 75mg) in the morning for a month.

:o  Smart cookie! I'll try it. <goes off to cut Pristiq> Hopefully I don't botch this too bad hah. And hopefully I don't get sick.. but by doing it morning and night I just might not. Thanks ever so much. 

So far so good! I didn't get sick at all! I did eat first in case it would hurt my tummy a lil.  ;)

• Moderator Emeritus

That's great to hear PP  :)

2002  effexor. 

So I went to my doctors today to get a copy of my medical records because my doc has been so mean and made me cry. You won't believe what happened. It was... just incredulous. Do you ever run across people who are so unbelievably conceited about their intelligence yet have no right to be? I have had a total of 4 office visits. They are usually 4 pages long. To print approx. 16 pages they wanted a few days and over 35.00. 25.00 for "supply fees", 10.00 for postage and printing costs. I SIMPLY asked why. One little question. Wow. She pulls out some files, SLAMS them on the desk and says in a snarky voice "I went to school and you are questioning ME??" You are calling ME a liar??? I never once said anything remotely like that. I proceed to tell her she is prob tons smarter than me and I didn't mean to offend but I would like to see the paperwork that shows she can charge that much. I'm trying not to cry but I'm shy as it is and naturally a peacekeeper type of person. She pulls out a 2012 law. I thank her and go home and find this (follows). I copy it out and bring it back to her to find out she has gone to lunch in a huff. The entire office is upset by it. I can't even imagine her anger when she comes back and sees she has been proven wrong by a 1 min internet search. Some people would revel in seeing her reaction. I was glad she wasn't there. People like that disturb me. I'm terrified to go back to pick up my records. Why are people so mean?

Non Workers Compensation Medical Fees
K.S.A. 65-6827, enacted in 2011, directed the Secretary of KDHE to set the fee providers could charge for medical records. However, K.S.A. 65-6827 was repealed effective July 1, 2013.

The reason for the repeal was the HIPAA Privacy Rule dictates how such fees were to be determined: "[T]he covered entity may impose a reasonable, cost-based fee…." As the cost basis necessarily varies among providers, KDHE decided that a standard set fee could not meet HIPAA's requirement. [see, 45 CFR 164.524 ©(4)]

The only guidance as to what a provider can charge is that the provider’s charge be: 1) cost-based, i.e., bear a relationship to the actual cost of re-producing the record; and 2) that the amount charged be reasonable. Failure to comply with this criteria could constitute a HIPAA violation.

pinkpeony,

Weight has nothing to do with sleep apnea and that doctor who told you it did without a sleep study is full of garbage. If you had a sleep study and your first doctor confirmed it, then it is vital to either use the cpap machine or an alternative method to take care of your apnea depending on the severity.

If you didn't have a sleep study, what does the data from the pap machine indicate?  Even though obviously a machine can't diagnose a condition, if it is still listing apneas that the machine didn't catch, obviously you have something.

CS

I did have a complete sleep study. They are the ones that diagnosed me with sleep apnea. My doctor here said I couldn't possibly have it, sent me home with something I wore on my finger at night. He called and said the study said I didn't have it. Wouldn't the complete overnight sleep study at the sleep clinic be more accurate? Hmm.

Your 2nd sleep doctor is an idiot.  What you wore is a pulse oxemetry testing for O2 desaturations and that test alone cannot diagnose sleep apnea since many people with apnea do not desaturate.

Please find another sleep doctor to see.

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

• Moderator Emeritus

Good for you with the records PP! I am getting the feeling that she was angry because she KNEW 

she was wrong and you caught them out! :angry:  It will be interesting to see what happens when you go back! 

I want to ask for a list of all meds I've been prescribed but not sure I'll get it. I can ask to see my records here

but they are HUGE and would not be able to trawl through them in the time allowed. 

2002  effexor. 

pinkpeony,

CS

Your 2nd sleep doctor is an idiot.  What you wore is a pulse oxemetry testing for O2 desaturations and that test alone cannot diagnose sleep apnea since many people with apnea do not desaturate.

Wow. Well he is retiring. The funny thing is I have one appt. with him left. (I usually see someone every 4 mo), and they refused to let me see someone else even though he is leaving. It's just not fair.

Good for you with the records PP! I am getting the feeling that she was angry because she KNEW 

she was wrong and you caught them out! :angry:  It will be interesting to see what happens when you go back! 

I want to ask for a list of all meds I've been prescribed but not sure I'll get it. I can ask to see my records here

but they are HUGE and would not be able to trawl through them in the time allowed. 

You think? That's a scary thought. It's crazy because its supposed to be a christian place. They have christian posters and bibles everywhere yet they are mean like that. I can't stop thinking about her..wondering if she is really conceited or maybe she has low self-esteem and my questioning her made her upset about it? I don't know. I can't figure people out. All I asked is why is it so much? I never said she was wrong or said it in a mean tone. I don't even have a mean tone. I have a soft little voice. I have no clue why she flipped out.

As far as your records, I don't know about your office but mine says I can't look through them to see what I want. They are all on the computer. I have to take it all or none. :(

pinkpeony,

CS

Wow. Well he is retiring. The funny thing is I have one appt. with him left. (I usually see someone every 4 mo), and they refused to let me see someone else even though he is leaving. It's just not fair.

Who is refusing to let you see someone else? Do you have any recourse such as contacting a patient rep?

When you complain, you need to write that according to standard sleep medicine practice, that testing someone with a pulse oximetry is not full proof due to the fact that people with sleep apnea don't always desaturate. I wish I had links to give you but try to find them by googling.

But even worse, if your first sleep study showed it, then submit a copy of that and ask for an explanation of why the doctor is allowed to disregard those results.

Another option if you have the money is to buy an autopap machine either on Craig's List or from trusted buyers on cpaptalk.com and I could point you in the right direction.  I could help you set up the machine and come up with the right pressure.

What type of place are you going to that practices in this manner?

CS

• Moderator Emeritus

Just a thought PP, Alto said that your meds for nercolepsy are VERY expensive. Maybe the insurance

would pay for the proper tests. It might not be a good suggestion but thought I'd throw it out there.

2002  effexor. 

• Administrator

By the way, the diagnosis MUST read "narcolepsy" for prescription of Xyrem. By law, it cannot be prescribed for anything else.

To be absolutely clear: Your doctor deliberately changed your diagnosis to narcolepsy so he could prescribe Xyrem, a drug that costs $100,000 per year http://seekingalpha.com/article/1242161-jazz-pharmaceuticals-music-to-our-ears

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_oxybate

He did this not to diagnose you accurately but to legally prescribe a particular drug. You may not actually have any sleep disorder other than sleepiness when your hormones were changing, possibly caused by Effexor in the first place.

To clear all this up, you need to get serious about finding a good sleep doctor who can determine if you have sleep apnea or whatever.

But first, it might be a good idea for you to get off Pristiq and Effexor.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

pinkpeony,

CS

Who is refusing to let you see someone else? Do you have any recourse such as contacting a patient rep?

When you complain, you need to write that according to standard sleep medicine practice, that testing someone with a pulse oximetry is not full proof due to the fact that people with sleep apnea don't always desaturate. I wish I had links to give you but try to find them by googling.

But even worse, if your first sleep study showed it, then submit a copy of that and ask for an explanation of why the doctor is allowed to disregard those results.

Another option if you have the money is to buy an autopap machine either on Craig's List or from trusted buyers on cpaptalk.com and I could point you in the right direction.  I could help you set up the machine and come up with the right pressure.

What type of place are you going to that practices in this manner?

CS

Well what I don't understand is I already have the cpap machine. I actually like using it. He told me the benefit for docs like him seeing us is that the real money is in the initial diagnosis and tests and such.. that to see someone and get the card from the machine and keep refilling the meds is not making him money. Really made me feel like he was doing me a big favor. He said he would continue seeing me..but now he is retiring. I could just start using my cpap again. I remember the sleep specialist that did my sleep study was adamant I use it every night because he said so many times I stopped breathing during my sleep study. I think its still calibrated to what they set it as when I used to use it. Ill start using it again. I did feel so much better on it.

As far as what kind of place its just a clinic and his qualifications are:  <shrugs>

Specialties
  • Pulmonology
  • Sleep Medicine
Board Certifications

[*]Internal Medicine

[*]Pulmonary Disease 

[*]Sleep Medicine

By the way, the diagnosis MUST read "narcolepsy" for prescription of Xyrem. By law, it cannot be prescribed for anything else.

To be absolutely clear: Your doctor deliberately changed your diagnosis to narcolepsy so he could prescribe Xyrem, a drug that costs $100,000 per year http://seekingalpha.com/article/1242161-jazz-pharmaceuticals-music-to-our-ears

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_oxybate

He did this not to diagnose you accurately but to legally prescribe a particular drug. You may not actually have any sleep disorder other than sleepiness when your hormones were changing, possibly caused by Effexor in the first place.

To clear all this up, you need to get serious about finding a good sleep doctor who can determine if you have sleep apnea or whatever.

But first, it might be a good idea for you to get off Pristiq and Effexor.

Yes and its going up Jan. 1st. I am in a whole other bracket of pharmacy for my insurance just because of Xyrem. Just one shipment (one month) my insurance pays 7,714.20 and I pay 20 bucks. Can i ask a question I may not want to know the answer to? Does my doctor get any sort of ..cut? Does Xyrem pay him anything to keep me on it? Surely not.. 

Yes.. I am doing so well getting off Pristiq. I'm doing exactly what you said Alto. Although, its weird.. I go from being irritable for a bit to being sooo very happy. Like right now Im happier than I have been in years. I wonder why? It's kind of weird. I guess I shouldn't question a good thing? :) Night everyone. You have no idea what it means to me to have your help in all this. Hugs!!

• Administrator

I doubt if your doctor gets a kickback. He probably just wanted to get you to stop complaining.

Ok,  I am glad you have a machine to use as I was worried you were being prevented from accessing one.

Unfortunately, as I have learned in dealing with several sleep doctors is while some are better than others, they all have the preconceived notions and don't do a a good job of listening to what the patient is saying. They want to fit you into their box which is so frustrating.  It looks like you were a victim of that.

CS

Nothing feels quite as good as perseverance and being able to say to all those voices in your head that play records others bought for you "see? I did that! Now what? Time to change the music. You bore me." Staying strong. 

Strange new thing: Not only do i go from being irritable to super happy when tapering, I'm getting more and more outgoing. I went out with friends I haven't seen in a while and they wanted to know what amazing thing had happened to me because I'm "charasmatic and fun". We made another double date. Woot friends again! All I can say is that when people talk to me I get the same feeling of wanting to talk but for some reason my brain actually responds and moves my mouth LOL. I can't explain it. Hope that makes sense. I've just felt so ..eh... robot for so long? Anywho, just wanted to share.

I woke up with heart racing so badly again today that I couldn't take it anymore. I took two Effexor XR 37.5 mg. I don't care if I get flashes.. I can't take the Pristiq anymore. My fear? What if it isn't the Pristiq and it's actually the Xyrem. Just wanted to give a heads up what I am doing. I'm sorry I went ahead and did that but my heart is pretty important. Hope you understand. I will be strong no matter what and taper down after a month. I guess I only did it a day early I just feel bad for not following the plan exactly. I don't want you to think i'm not listening. I totally am! Just had the constant racing. I have energy to do things- like wash the dishes and I have to deal with feeling like i'm going to have a heart attack or faint. UGH. And the nausea.. so tired of the nausea. Mood is okay. I would say just stable. I just want you guys to be proud of me so Im sorry i started it early. Hope you understand.

Omg.. ok I just looked at an old diary to see if I wrote anything else about my heart before. I found an entry about when I was on Xyrem 6g/night, and Cymbalta. I talk about just laying in bed, my heart was 65 bpm. I got on the treadmill because it has a heart rate monitor and walked at a moderate pace and the heart rate monitor started beeping because my heart rate was over 200 bpm. (this was at a town I used to live in when I had a bright idea of joining a genesis gym- yah couldn't do it because of heart) Anyway, so that clinches it doesn't it? It's the Xyrem. Crap. What in the world can I do? I should explain that I have been completely off Xyrem before. I had no side effects going completely cold turkey. However, my EXTREME daytime sleepiness came back in two days. I have stimulants left that I have taken in the past. Why would stimulants not cause my heart to race but Xyrem would? 

• Administrator

It could have been the Cymbalta that caused those cardio symptoms before.See Drug Interactions Checkerhttp://www.drugs.com/interactions-check.php?drug_list=2796-12488,2091-10778http://www.drugs.com/interactions-check.php?drug_list=2296-1524,2091-10778Why is it you're taking antidepressants, again?Here's something interestinghttp://www.sleep-journal.com/article/S1389-9457%2813%2900207-4/abstractThere is mention of Xyrem withdrawal symptoms:http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2725257/ 

In a randomized double-blind placebo-controlled trial designed to evaluate the effects of abrupt discontinuation of sodium oxybate on patients with narcolepsy with cataplexy after a mean nighttime exposure of 21 months, 17% of the patients (5 of 26 patients) withdrawn from active drug reported symptoms of anxiety (2), dizziness (1), insomnia (1), and somnolence (1). These symptoms were interpreted as possibly representing the return of the narcoleptic symptoms or mild withdrawal. This further suggests that when taken under approved and appropriate prescribing conditions, sodium oxybate has little in the way of significant discontinuation effects.18

Why is it you're taking antidepressants, again?

Eh.. all I can say is before I had a hysterectomy, my hubby and I fought like cats and dogs. After I was a sweet lil angel. That being said, he is scared because I've never been off antidepressants before in my marriage except during pregnancy when suffice it to say.. it was quite rough between us. I was originally put on antidepressants because  basically I was a moody teen with a dad who was a jerk and I said I would kill myself if he didn't shut up. And my sister got my parents to take me to Prarie View where they said my depression was "situational" but tried different antidepressants on me. I came out with one of them. <shrugs> I would never put a teen on an antidepressant just because they were hormonal and moody. DUH teenage girls are! I remember being put on birth control pills simply to regulate my crazy hormones. I think they were a problem for me till my hysterectomy. 

It could have been the Cymbalta that caused those cardio symptoms before.

Oh please oh please oh please let it be the cymbalta and pristiq. I have nooo idea what to do about the xyrem. 

• Administrator

So, you're on antidepressants to make your behavior more convenient for others.

I have been, yes. Hopefully, after getting off, hubby will either realize that it was a hormonal imbalance... or..  I'm hoping that and the fact that we have both changed a great deal means that we will be okay but honestly we will just have to see.  :unsure:

Do I really need to wait a month before tapering again? I really miss feeling happy when I'm tapering. Now my mood is just blah again. Just no highs or lows.. Unable to express myself again. I miss being outgoing when Im tapering.

Some people get a little hypomanic when they start an AD taper, leading to dropping too fast. Do you think that might be happening? Obviously it is tough to see that just in written posts, I'm not at all saying I suspect that. Just saying it is something to be aware of.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

Some people get a little hypomanic when they start an AD taper, leading to dropping too fast. Do you think that might be happening? Obviously it is tough to see that just in written posts, I'm not at all saying I suspect that. Just saying it is something to be aware of.

If you don't at all suspect that, why would you ask if it might be happening? I'm not at all bi-polar nor am I getting unusually creative, sexual, or energetic. As you have stated, it's tough to see me tapering too fast as I have been following what has been said exactly and even asked if I might taper again before going ahead and tapering.