• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pinkpeony

• Altostrata

• mammaP

• Meimeiquest

Top Posters In This Topic

Some people get a little hypomanic when they start an AD taper, leading to dropping too fast. Do you think that might be happening? Obviously it is tough to see that just in written posts, I'm not at all saying I suspect that. Just saying it is something to be aware of.

If you don't at all suspect that, why would you ask if it might be happening? I'm not at all bi-polar nor am I getting unusually creative, sexual, or energetic. As you have stated, it's tough to see me tapering too fast as I have been following what has been said exactly and even asked if I might taper again before going ahead and tapering.
I just think anyone who feels dramatically better with a dosage drop needs to know it can happen, that's all. You're right, it's an Alto question.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

• Administrator

I think meimei has nailed it -- withdrawal hypomania. Pre-existing history is not necessary.

Please do not push your taper. Give your nervous system time to adjust to each dosage level.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I think meimei has nailed it -- withdrawal hypomania. Pre-existing history is not necessary.Please do not push your taper. Give your nervous system time to adjust to each dosage level.

Ok first of all, I find it offensive that two people are talking about whether or not I have something and my input does not count. You had me tapering every 4 days. I think its a perfectly normal question to ask when I might taper again. In a week? In a month? In a year? Everyone needs something to look forward to.

Was on antidepressants since I was a teen. Got off Pristiq in Dec 2013. Completely off of all antidepressants in March 2014.

Currently taking: Xyrem 3g 2xs a night

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/5353-pinkpeony-dont-let-me-go-it-alone-pristiq-100-50-tomorrow/

• Administrator

pp, please don't make yourself high maintenance here. We're all volunteers, including me, and we all have other things to do.

pp, this is a tough one. It sounds like you need to reduce the amount of desvenlafaxine you're taking.

If I were you, I might reduce by cutting the Pristiq into quarters, take 2 quarters (25mg) in the morning and 1 quarter (12.5mg) in the evening, for 4 days. This is more or less equivalent to taking regular Effexor.

Then take the 1 quarter Pristiq in the morning with 1 capsule (37.5mg) Effexor XR, and one quarter Pristiq in the evening, for 4 days.

Then take 2 capsules Effexor XR (total 75mg) in the morning for a month.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

pp, please don't make yourself high maintenance here. We're all volunteers, including me, and we all have other things to do.

pp, this is a tough one. It sounds like you need to reduce the amount of desvenlafaxine you're taking.

If I were you, I might reduce by cutting the Pristiq into quarters, take 2 quarters (25mg) in the morning and 1 quarter (12.5mg) in the evening, for 4 days. This is more or less equivalent to taking regular Effexor.

Then take the 1 quarter Pristiq in the morning with 1 capsule (37.5mg) Effexor XR, and one quarter Pristiq in the evening, for 4 days.

Then take 2 capsules Effexor XR (total 75mg) in the morning for a month.

Whoa. No problemo!

Was on antidepressants since I was a teen. Got off Pristiq in Dec 2013. Completely off of all antidepressants in March 2014.

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/5353-pinkpeony-dont-let-me-go-it-alone-pristiq-100-50-tomorrow/

• 1 month later...

So far so good! Feeling better than I ever have. Currently at 5 beads. Thought I'd check in. 

• Administrator

Very good to hear, pp!

KTP is contemplating a switch from Pristiq to Effexor, please chime in here http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/5418-ktp-weaning-from-4yrs-50mg-pristiq/

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi PP, glad you are still feeling great.  :)  5 beads, wow! Don't make my mistake, I was at 5 beads, felt

brilliant and forgot one day. Realised I had forgotten a dose the previous day and had no withdrawal

symptoms whereas normally I had brain zaps if I missed a dose. I reckoned I must be ready to quit....

so I did  :blush: . 3 or 4 weeks later I was in withdrawal that was hell on earth! I reinstated 10 months ago

and it took 7 months to get better and stabilise.  

You've come this far don't spoil it for yourself like I did and go too fast at the end. It is so tempting

when you are feeling good to think that's it, you are over it and going to get on with life, but it's only

5 beads and it doesn't matter if it takes another few months! 

You might not be tempted, but just in case you are, it honestly can be a nightmare!  

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

@Altostrata Thanks so much for all your help!  :D  

@GoldStar Good advice. I will go slow! I was tapering by 10 till I noticed I wasn't feeling well, then reduced taper to 5. Now I'm only tapering by one bead every 3 days. For some reason every 3 days works for me but for others it may be much more. I think you just have to really listen to your body. Admit to yourself when you are moody and just take it slower. I know for myself, just being proud of myself for staying at it keeps me positive. Also, I've found yoga to be soothing. Again, to each his own. <shrugs> 

• Administrator

You have been tapering very fast, pp. If I were you, I'd hold at 5 beads for a month or so to give your nervous system a rest for a while.

Oh hey! Just read this. Well I already tapered to 4 beads but I think I will stay on this for a while. I read somewhere that someone was on one bead for months. Is one bead that potent? Wish I understood it all better.

• Moderator Emeritus

Is one bead that potent? Wish I understood it all better.

Me too, I wish I understood all this 3 years ago when I did a quick 2 month taper off drugs I'd been dependent on for 13 years.

How long have you been taking ADs, your start date isn't listed in your signature.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Moderator Emeritus

PP one bead certainly is VERY potent!  I am at 3 beads and that drop from 4 to 3 has been 

over 3 months and I'm still getting some withdrawal. Milder now but still there. Sadly there is no

other choice for me because I reacted to the liquid. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Administrator

That's good, because if you got withdrawal symptoms, I'm sure you'd let us know about it!

Hmm. I can't seem to go below 5 beads. Every time I try I end up having some symptoms. Looks like I will be here for a while. <sets up camp> I'm not giving up, but I think its time to give my nervous system a break as you have suggested. Things in life are wonderful- which means this sadness and impatience is prolly due to withdrawals? I better stay put. Hope you are still proud.

xoxo

Pink Peony

• Administrator

Please be patient. Maybe even go up to 6 beads for a while.

• 3 months later...

Update: got completely off of all meds. Went to hospital May 2. Heart rate was 154 just standing. Chest pain was indescribable- and I've went through labor. At the time was only on antibiotics and steroids. Chest X-rays showed only hyperventilation. Was taken off antibiotics and steroids. Still have intermittant tachycardia. Last night and tonight have horrifying nightmares. I wake up with pulse at 100-110. After a few min awake it is back to 80 and I fall asleep again only to be jolted awake 1-2 hrs later by the same. I feel without answers. Doc has given up on me.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello PP,

i did go back in your thread for quite a few posts but still couldn't quite understand what has been happening. I came across quite a few posts were everyone was urging you to slow down the taper and not rush. Even you agreed you would hold. But now you say you went off medication (when?) and write about severe (WD?) symptoms.

You mention labour? Maybe I should've gone at the beginning of your thread but maybe you could also recap your situation briefly.

Hang in there.

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

Was completely off antidepressants months ago. That was the med they were telling me to take it slow with and I did. First of May quit Xyrem. Chest pain hurt like labor and went to hospital that weekend. I think I have developed a dependence on xyrem and are experiencing withdrawals.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi PP, Did you taper Xyrem?  It's always best to taper drugs that have been taken regularly.

I found this on the Xyrem website  ( http://www.xyrem.com/images/XYREM_PI.pdf

9.3 Dependence 
There have been case reports of withdrawal, ranging from mild to severe, following 
discontinuation of illicit use of GHB at frequent repeated doses (18 g to 250 g per day) in excess 
of the therapeutic dose range. Signs and symptoms of GHB withdrawal following abrupt 
discontinuation included insomnia, restlessness, anxiety, psychosis, lethargy, nausea, tremor, 
sweating, muscle cramps, tachycardia, headache, dizziness, rebound fatigue and sleepiness, 
confusion, and, particularly in the case of severe withdrawal, visual hallucinations, agitation, and 
delirium. These symptoms generally abated in 3 to 14 days. In cases of severe withdrawal, 
hospitalization may be required. The discontinuation effects of Xyrem have not been 
systematically evaluated in controlled clinical trials. In the clinical trial experience with Xyrem 
in narcolepsy/cataplexy patients at therapeutic doses, two patients reported anxiety and one 
reported insomnia following abrupt discontinuation at the termination of the clinical trial; in the 
two patients with anxiety, the frequency of cataplexy had increased markedly at the same time. 
Tolerance 
Tolerance to Xyrem has not been systematically studied in controlled clinical trials. There 
have been some case reports of symptoms of tolerance developing after illicit use at dosages far 
in excess of the recommended Xyrem dosage regimen. Clinical studies of sodium oxybate in the 
treatment of alcohol withdrawal suggest a potential cross-tolerance with alcohol. The safety and 
effectiveness of Xyrem in the treatment of alcohol withdrawal have not been established. 

GHB is the illegal form of Xyrem.

2002  effexor. 

• Administrator

pinkpeony, I hope if you've learned anything here, it's the importance of tapering all neuroactive drugs!!

I suggest you tell your doctor you are experiencing Xyrem withdrawal and need another prescription at perhaps a half-dose to get you through for a while.

I wasn't taking it at the illicit dose you spoke of. I was taking 6g/ night. No I did not taper, however would going back on Xyrem to taper relieve symptoms?

Not to mention it has been over 30 days since my last dose. However, i still wonder if it is the abrupt cessation of the drug. What do you guys think? Still it does not mention chest pains. Really hurts. :( follow up beginning of July.

• Administrator

If your odd symptoms started when you stopped Xyrem abruptly, it's likely you needed to taper it.

• 4 weeks later...

Update: was put on paxil 20 mg to help with panic attacks at night. CPAP has reduced racing heart. 4 nights ago new symptom of irregular heart beat that is constant when sitting or lying. As irregular heartbeat can be a side effect of paxil, I tried to switch to 37.5 of Effexor 2 nights ago. Now having panic attacks at night.and still having irregular heart rate. At a loss as to what to do. Need to simply be stabilized for starters but not sure how. Help?

• Moderator Emeritus

PP, paxil is a terrible drug and I am constantly astounded at doctors giving them out like candy

for everything.  Taking that and then taking 37.5 of effexor after being off it for so long is 

giving your nervous system a battering.  Reinstating after 4 months would need to be a very

low dose of effexor, just 5 or 10 beads because you will have become sensitised to it.

I would try the 5 beads and stick with it to stabilise, it could take a while but hopefully you will

feel better soon.  Did you reinstate the xyrem? 

2002  effexor. 

• Administrator

When did you start 20mg Paxil? Did you try 5mg or 10mg first?

Switching back and forth to Effexor like that can be very destabilizing.

Started paxil 3 weeks ago. Started on 20. Wish he would have given me a smaller dose but I just assumed he would have started me on the smallest dose and didn't double check. That's on me. I took 37.5 Effexor because I thought it would be too far of a step down from 20 mg paxil to less than that. I guess I was wrong. :( I have taken 3 nights of 37.5 mg including tonight. Was just so terrified of the heart probs. At the moment am feeling ok. Hoping it will stay that way. Thanks for being there. If I did it once I can get off it again. Right now just looking to stop the heart probs and stabilize.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Pinkpeony,

It would be good if you could read things on this short thread for a start: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6632-the-rule-of-3kis-keep-it-simple-keep-it-slow-keep-it-stable/

Unfortunately your idea that " if you did it once, you can get off it again" is not really valid. The more you do it, the more difficult you will find it to get off and more symptoms you will have. Our brains are reselient but are not made of rubber.

Unfortunately the way you are doing things by saying you were completely off ADs in March rushing the process and not understanding how it works proved that the result of such behaviour brings us to more meds and causes all sorts of symptoms from which it will be very difficult to bounce back.

take care

bubble

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

• Administrator

Oh, so you stayed on Effexor?

• Moderator Emeritus

Also, did you ever reinstate the Xyrem? It sounds like not, but I just want to be clear. It sure sounds (from reading through your thread) like you got hit by WD from that. But given how expensive it is I can see that it might be tough to get a doc to go along with a taper of it.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

Completely confused here. bubble, I don't feel getting off antidepressants had anything to do with my heart symptoms. Xyrem possibly. Tbh, I'm proud of myself getting off of it, I would do it the same way again, and I will not allow myself to doubt that I can again. Thanks tho for the link! :)

Alto, I am currently on Effexor yes as I switched off of paxil to Effexor 07/04.

Rhi, I have not reinstated xyrem. It is no prob with my doc to but I wanted your guys' opinion first.

• Administrator

Opinion about what?

A destabilized nervous system can contribute to irregular heart rate. Also, irregular heart rate is a known side effect of Effexor, Paxil, and just about every other drug that might be prescribed by a psychiatrist. It can be a withdrawal symptom. It can be caused by abruptly quitting a drug or by jumping from drug to drug.

You should see a cardiologist.

Please go to a credible source such as drugs.com to read about every drug you take. You should educate yourself rather than taking your doctor's word for anything or asking people's opinion on the Web.

I have an appointment with a cardiologist. What is this forum for if not to share advice and support? Who can we trust if we can't trust our doc to some extent? Are you suggesting I wing it on my own? Sorry but I'm not intelligent enough to figure all of this out. That's why I pay hundreds a month for insurance and I don't go to work in a lab coat or scrubs. Sometimes you just wanna bounce something off your girlfriends and my best friend passed away so yah I came here. Forget it. I feel like you are incrediblly intelligent but lack patience. I realize you are volunteering to help. That must be stressful and taxing but not everyone has as much experience and intelligence and the best course may be plain for you to see and nicely presented on paper but in real life it's messy and feelings are involved and imperfection. The nights are long when you are dealing with withdrawal or a chronic condition so forgive people if they turn here.