Burning mouth syndrome

RebelMaven

@Shashal

Just to be clear, what I posted above isn't meant as tips or advice, it's just what works for me at the moment (at other times I've had to make other choices; and who knows how it will be in the future). Diet is so individual, I think everyone's gotta experiment for themselves to figure out what suits their body at any given time. But if you find the info useful that's great, I'm happy to share.

I hope you feel better soon, Shashal. 

Kind wishes, 

A.

1996-2018 - misc. polypharmacy, incl. SSRIs, SNRIs, neuroleptics, lithium, benzos, stimulants, antihistamines, etc. (approx. 30+ drugs)

2012-2018 - 10mg lexapro/escitalopram (20mg?)    Jan. 2018 - 10mg -> 5mg, then from 5mg -> 2.5mg, then 0mg  -->  July 2018 - 0mg

2017(?)-2020 - vyvanse/lisdexamfetamine 60-70mg    2020-2021 - 70mg down to 0mg  -->  July 2021 - 0mg

March-April 2021 - vortioxetine 5-10mg (approx. 7 weeks total; CT)  -->  April 28th, 2021 - 0mg

supplements: magnesium powder (dissolved in water) as needed throughout the day; 1 tsp fish oil w/ morning meal; 2mg melatonin 

August 1, 2022 - 1 mg melatonin

Courage is fear that has said its prayers.  - Karle Wilson Baker

love and justice are not two. without inner change, there can be no outer change; without collective change, no change matters.  - Rev. angel Kyodo williams

Holding multiple truths. Knowing that everyone has their own accurate view of the way things are.  - text on homemade banner at Afiya house

I am not a medical professional; this is not medical advice. 

• 2 months later...
On 12/7/2015 at 2:06 PM, Vonnegutjunky said:

Reviving this old thread as burning mouth is one of the most consistent symptoms that I have -

My waves begin with severe tinnitus, burning mouth and double vision, and I become physically incapacitated, depression and mild innerestlessness, I just sleep and sleep, I cannot function for days; I saw on a benzo buddies board that there is some theory that these are signs of cns damage; anyone else have this?

did the burning mouth get better for you?? And what about the chronic fatigue? I currently have both of these

April 2022- Only 1 celxa pill 10mg

had an adverse reaction & never took anymore again 

6 hours ago, peaceandlove said:

did the burning mouth get better for you?? And what about the chronic fatigue? I currently have both of these

They absolutely did - the CFS still comes and goes but have not had the biting mouth for years now - as i tapered it got better 

*Currently at 8.2-8.5 mg of my 10mg pill of Paxil (they actually weigh 12.5mg) 

january 2023 I began reducing my med again. I was a 9mg weight for years, I went to 8.9 in January, went to 8.6mg in February, and in March 2023 I went down to 8.5-8.2 mg ( my scale varies, so I stick within that .3 range because of that) 

*No other supplements or vitamins 

*Taper schedule in the pdf 

Blank.pdf

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-5vShtJtwAOGA30OxIP87steLmMdFzD29F0fzAPD564

1 hour ago, Vonnegutjunky said:

They absolutely did - the CFS still comes and goes but have not had the biting mouth for years now - as i tapered it got better 

Great to hear, I’m so happy for you 🙂 continue to heal

April 2022- Only 1 celxa pill 10mg

had an adverse reaction & never took anymore again 

• 11 months later...

Hi all,

I know this is an old thread, but I recently developed BMS this after coming off Rexulti (Brexpiprazole) a newish and unusual antipsychotic that is a partial agonist of dopamine rather than the blocking of dopamine that all other APs do apart from Abilify which is the same company and predecessor to Rexulti. It's action not fully know which makes it hard to know why the WD symptoms are so rare and unusual.  Being a partial agonist it supposedly stimulates when there is lack of dopamine but at a less than 50% response compared to dopamine, and when there is too much dopamine it competes and blocks response and induces it's own at less than 50%.  So it considered a "modulator" by locking the dopamine receptor response at a medium level (claimed 45%). No one knows what implications this has regarding long term use and adaptation, obviously bad ones given my severe very unusual set of neuopathic/neurological/autonomic dysfunction post WD.

I had a failed attempt to quit it 2 years ago almost. This time I re-tapered over 18+ months down to 130th of the original middle dose (0.015ish mg) but the WD were 80% as bad as the rapid discontinuation I did the first time going by the phych's advise once I actually stopped this 2nd time. The taper itself got better and better with time where the last 2-3 reductions in dose produced no noticeable WD at all, so the rapid onset and severe WD upon quitting the last minuscule dose was surprising the least to say.

Anyway, the first time I had lots of burning/raw electrical pain else where, mainly in my private area and feet and total numbness in most places in my body, worst waist down and some in my lower face and mouth and hands, but I don't recall any burning in my face or mouth but I did have weird paralyzed feeling and numbness and great difficulty swallowing.

Fast forward to this attempt to quit I didn't get numbness or other symptoms mentioned above this time (a few of them but extremely short duration) but the pain was pretty much as bad, but the one thing is the new BMS I hadn't had before. I've often had this same feeling in my lower and rarely upper legs though.

From my research, BMS seems to be a sub variant of RLS, both speculated to be issues with dopamine signaling.  I have RLS, even before taking pych drugs but mine is mild and comes and goes and always had.

Studies found that administering a dopamine agonist, such as those used for Parkinsons often remits the condition completely while taking the drug, the issue is dopamine altering drugs, especially agonists are harmful anything more than short term and withdrawals from them are devastating and can be permanent for unknown reasons.

Also, BMS has been reported to be caused by antidepressants itself, which I am still on and tapering off, a RIMA called Moclobemide, which rarely can included burning sensations, pins and needles numbness as a side effect, also common for MAOIs which Moclobemide is basically a derivative of this drug class. I'm hoping that's all it is but I am worried it's my dopamine system is out of whack after being on Rexulti since many of my WD symptoms minics DAWS, (dopamine agonist withdrawal syndrome), a lot of which involves body wide pain and altered sensation.

The only time I have relief is when I'm half asleep, symptoms clear completely but immediately come back as soon as I start to become more aware during wake up.

It does occasionally remit randomly throughout the day and some days it's not really there but I can tell it's waiting to emerge.  Sometimes it' swaps places with my private area, so when the mouth hurts the private area is pain free and then it can flip the other way.  When everything is really bad I often get bad RLS, which can start to creep into my arms too. The later is rare though and only happens when there has been a cumulative or large drug dose change, obviously finally quitting Rexulti counts as one. I quit 6.5 weeks ago.

It started as a strong altered metallic taste within a few days of quitting Rexulti, I still get than metallic but more as a feeling than taste now, like that metallic feeling you get in your tongue when you get a fight or flight response.

Late 2014-Early 2015 started Lovan SSRI for weakness, fatigue and severe SD. Severe side effects. CT

2015- multiple SSRIs and SNRI (type?) Anger and side effects. CT

2015- Agromelatine  6 months- No effects CT

2016- Present Moclobemide. Partial response without major side effects. 

2017- 2017- Added Sodium Valproate- No effects just hair loss. CT

2018- Antipsychotic. (type?) No effects. CT. 

2018- Latuda Antipsychotic. 6 months. No effects. CT. 

2019 Jan- Rexulti. Massive improvement no major side effects.  2mg dose.

September 2020- Sudden severe SD after a number of years of being mostly fine and jerky sleep/wake transitions + severe sleep paralysis, injuries to face during sleep, blunt emotions, brain fog, little motivation.

August 2021- Rexulti concluded as likely cause. Begin taper over 8 weeks. Delayed severe neurological (almost entirely autonomic) WD symptoms in late November 2021 after being symptom free. 

Reinstated and taper Rexulti @ 0.25mg Jan 2022, 0.125mg May, August 0.0625mg, November 26th 0.03125mg, Feb 27th 2023 0.0158mg, May 22nd 0.0mg. Finally!

Taper Moclobemide March 2022 from 300mg to 150mg, August 75mg (last reduction too harsh, moving to 10% per 3, 4 or 5 weeks) 12th Oct 22  67.5mg, 11th Nov 60.18mg, 11th Dec 53.65mg, 2nd Jan 2023 48.035mg, 23rd Jan 2023 42.8mg, 13th Feb 39.033mg, 20th March 34.85mg, April 19- May 17 rather rapid slide method from 31mg to 19mg (approx 10% weekly). Hold 19mg to May 31st, 17.5mg to 15th June, Split dosing 9mg x 2 twice daily 1 at 5pm and 1 at 7:30pm. Helped with the severity of the adverse reactions and can be mixed with next dosing to allow a slide period. July 11th,  9mg + 7.5mg. July 18th 2 x 7.5mg,  Aug 18th 7.5mg + 6mg, Aug 25th 6+6mg, Sep 23rd 5.25+5.25mg, Oct 27 CT. Drug free!

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy