Sarabellum: Introduction from someone who is SSRI free but struggling

Sarabellum

Hopefull, in my opinion, I believe the cause for the intense emotions I have with the boyfriend are directly related to menopause and withdrawal. I have experienced anxiety in past relationships but this is difference.I just post more when it relates to the boyfriend because I'm around him more than anyone else and I have recently found that it helps me to sort out my thoughts when I write.

It doesn't help that I am about to have a major career change so I can finish school. Nor does it help that I am losing my house. As one therapist put it, I am "the perfect storm." And because of this I am constantly told I need to take be taking medications.

The underlying emotions that are always present are anger, frustration, and hopelessness. It's always present but sometimes it's quieter than others. And when it has no preference. It erupts in the blink of an eye and takes aim at whatever is in my site. It can be a person, my cats, my kids, my car, traffic, my computer, the phone, and myself. I have this constant inner voice the criticizes EVERYTHING loudly before I can have any other thought. And when I become aware of the anger, I become even more frustrated for feeling this way.I don't know who or what this thing is that's inhabiting my body but it is not me. I don't scream and yell. But I am tense and anxious to be around. I find it hard to just smile most days.

As far as diet and exercise goes, I have very limited contact with processed food. My diet consists of lean protein, vegetables, nuts, and fruits. A few times a month I might have cheese pizza or an energy bar (all of which is organic). I don't work out as much as I would like to right now because I'm buried in 2 classes while working full time but on the weekends, I squeeze in a couple of work outs, walk, and hike when the weather allows it. As soon as it warms a bit more I'll be back on my bicycle. I know the benefits exercise creates. It's the only reason I sleep soundly. When I slack off on the exercise, the sleep gets disturbed and I've learned the hard way that broken or lack of sleep can kick a person - hard.

I listened to a Buddhist monk speak on mindfulness meditation (Vipassanā) and I really think this will help. (He teaches at one of the unversities in the area.) For me, I think it's going to take a combination of things to help - CBT, meditation, writing, and perhaps HRT. All I know is I need to do something because I can't go on like I have been.

1991-1992: 25mg Zoloft (initially for post-partum depression - 6 weeks after giving birth)

1994-1998: 25mg Zoloft (post-partum again - 6 weeks after subsequent birth)

2003-2011: 30mg Cymbalta (situational depression - began tapering off in November 2011 - completely off in November 2012)

2012-2013: 25mg Zoloft (used to "cushion the blow" for withdrawal from Cymbalta)

2014: - Estradiol (slow increases as follows) .5 mg: Jan - Feb, 1 mg: Mar - Apr, 1.5 mg: May - Jun, 2 mg: Jun.

2014 - July 20 100 mg Buproprion 1 x a day.

133 mg chelated magnesium 3x per day, Carlson fish oil daily: 1600 EPA, 1000 DHA

- completely medication free as of July 1, 2013

- previous bouts with brain zaps and tremors

- continual struggles with anxiety, panic attacks, disassociation, anger, etc.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sarabellum

• Altostrata

• Petunia

• Fitby50

Top Posters In This Topic

Sara.....

You have alot of your plate right now and seeking reassurance from someone close to you is normal.  Bio-identical hormone replacement was and is good for me.  I had a hysterectomy and I cannot function without them.

School - work - money......school  - work - money......this sounds like you daily worries which would produce anxiety.

You want to become an nurse which is such an admirable profession.  It's just two years away and you are worried about finances.

This doesn't make you crazy - it makes you very normal.

Get your hormones adjusted and you will see a big difference.  Believe me.  Keep your eyes on the prize and that is your Nursing Degree.  If it takes you longer than 2 years due to finances that's okay.....You are still going to get there.

There is menopause - the protracted wd and look at how far you have come in spite of the physical issues.  You need to give yourself a huge pat on the back for how far you have come.

Alto recommends meditative breathing and I have been keeping that in  the forefront of my thoughts when I go into dread or panic......

Hugs

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

Thank you Nikki. I very much appreciate what you are saying.

I am very grateful for the support I've received on this site. I don't think I would have done as well without it.

I've isolated myself due to the struggles I've been going through. I need to find a group or make more friends which really isn't easy considering how little free time I have. What few close friends I have live many hours away from me.

I hope tomorrow will be better.

1991-1992: 25mg Zoloft (initially for post-partum depression - 6 weeks after giving birth)

2003-2011: 30mg Cymbalta (situational depression - began tapering off in November 2011 - completely off in November 2012)

2012-2013: 25mg Zoloft (used to "cushion the blow" for withdrawal from Cymbalta)

2014: - Estradiol (slow increases as follows) .5 mg: Jan - Feb, 1 mg: Mar - Apr, 1.5 mg: May - Jun, 2 mg: Jun.

133 mg chelated magnesium 3x per day, Carlson fish oil daily: 1600 EPA, 1000 DHA

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Sara, you are going through such a lot right now it's no wonder you feel

like you are falling apart! To go through all that would stress anyone out but all that

plus withdrawal and menopause :huh: !!!!  You must be an incredibly strong person 

to still be going to work and take care of a family.  I think you are amazing! 

The one thing to keep remembering is that this will pass, it is tragic that you are suffering

so much after being so careful to taper slowly, only to be hit by withdrawal anyway

Sadly that happens to so many people  :( .  I turned into a raging lunatic when I hit

menopause but HRT sent me back into a deep depression so I just muddled along and

tried to keep a lid on it.  Sometimes it was like a  pressure cooker that explodes f it doesn't

have a valve to release the pressure ! I think the flushes got  better when I switched from

dairy to soya . I don't know a thing about bio identical hormones so can't really comment

on those but I  do hope that things improve for you, you deserve a break! 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Thank you mammap. Sometimes I don't feel strong or I think, "others have been through worse" but that thinking really serves no purpose. I'm learning.

You went through HRT? What were you doing?

• Administrator

I know I might sound like a broken record, but you might try meetup.com for social contact in your area. You might even find a group of women using natural means to cope with menopause. Getting out among nice people is good for the nervous system.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I agree - being around positive people helps. I assure you, I have searched for support groups in my area. I'm a big fan of them.

Unfortunately, it's not as big a city for things like this as one might imagine. There are alternative medicine doctors around but they do not take insurance and are very expensive. The initial evaluation and first follow-ups are close to $500 and that doesn't include anything but the visits.

There is one meditation group that meets on Monday evenings and I'm going to check them out next week. I'm starting a yoga class on Sunday mornings, too.

I'm just spread thin with school. My cognitive functions seem lacking so when I'm not at my job I'm at the student service center (which is open 24/7). I squeeze in time with the boyfriend and my kids but if I slack off the studies much, I get behind and it adds another layer of stress.

I'm reading more and more on Vipassana (mindfulness) meditation and I like what I'm reading. It's one of the first things I've done that gives me a sense of peace. 

I forgot to add... the obgyn has put me on estradiol (.05) oral (for now). I may go back to the patch. I'm not sure. I've been reading about how it's absorbed. I asked the doc several times about it going through the stomach instead of transdermally and he said there is no difference - it all gets metabolized the same. But the stuff I'm reading online says it can be harder on the liver. This is tough because the reports I'm reading are sponsored by the people who make the patch! UGH.

Oh and he said, "Your body is not producing enough estrogen to be detected." But... he feels I'm in need of estrogen for now.

• Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like he doesn't have a clue! I once pointed out something to my cardiologist that I 

had read on a patient leaflet of some meds he prescribed. He looked at me aghast because he didn't 

know that!  Pharma don't tell the doctors everything, and it's a sorry state of affairs when patients

have to keep doctors up to speed! 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

You have a point mammaP.

I spoke with the pharmacist and she told me it's really a matter of personal preference regarding pill or transdermal patch. The key is taking it at the same time every day.

I'll try it for now. I hope it helps.

• Administrator

There are some very good peer forums for menopause and HRT, you might do some reading there.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey SaraB just thinking of you and checking in.  What is popular in Australia is to do the wild yam cream thing (progesterone) or other bioavailable vegetable hormones.  They are gentler than prescription, not as altering.  Gods, that rock looks heavy!  I hope you can accept help, because it is there for you.  Right here in SA, and in other, unexpected arenas.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

Thanks Alostrata and JanCarol.

So far the mood has improved a bit.

I did spend some time with a Buddhist monk on Tuesday and practiced mindfulness meditation. It helped.

Today has not been so good and I'm trying not to focus on that. I had been doing quite well since talking with a therapist and seeing the monk. 

I am going to journal about it and meditate. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Dear SaraB,

I hope you can tell your boyfriend these things, and get more than an "un huh" response.  I mean really get through that your system is taking your emotions for loops and loops and you don't meant to cling - so could he at least understand?

Any meditation worth it's salt will be able to deal with "intruding thoughts."  Only the masters can be totally free - all other practitioners still have to "watch" or "let go" or whatever the practice method is - to deal with thoughts.  Because thoughts are the true chemical output of your brain.  Your brain is this awesome radio, and it receives "thoughts."  How attached and emotional you become based on those thoughts is the only control you really have over them - and sometimes not even then.  It is a skill, and a high level one.

This counts for boyfriend too - do you realize the gigantic-ness of the rock you are currently pushing up the mountain?  From what I hear from here - going to get a higher education is becoming more and more impossible in the USA.  It's almost as if "education is for the rich," because fees. tuition and books have increased something ridiculous like 600% in the past 10 years, and availability of aid has disappeared proportionately.  I'm not trying to discourage you - but I am wishing for you - and boyfriend - to acknowledge HOW HARD is this thing you are trying to do! 

Especially at the same time as being "crack the whip" around (remember the carnival ride?) with menopause and SSRI withdrawal.  Does boyfriend even believe in SSRI prolonged withdrawal symptoms?

When you can, give yourself a break and acknowledge that you are doing Titan, gigantic works, cleaning the Stables, slaying the Medusa, and still pushing that rock up the hill.  Do you ever pat yourself on the back for your labors?  Can you ever say, "wow, I'm doing this! what an accomplishment!" or even "Wow, I did that! way to go SaraB!"  Please do.  Be compassionate toward yourself.

Maybe one of the reasons you feel you've lost compassion for others (besides the fact that many are empty jerks) is that you've lost compassion for yourself.  My yoga teacher in your town - and perhaps your Buddhist Monk would charge you to cherish your heart and kindle compassion for yourself, as a human, as a lover, as a mother, as a friend, as a student, as a worker.  All the things you choose, and all the things you do which make you a valuable human being.   :wub:

Having trouble with that?  Well me, too, I struggle with that self-compassion.  But let's keep trying!  :wub:

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• 2 weeks later...

Jan I am so sorry I didn't see the notice on your post.

Thank you for this. 

I know the boyfriend supports me but we don't necessarily have the same definition of what support is. It's not bad - it just is. 

I'm working on meditation.

Right now I'm buried in the final weeks of the semester. I'll post more soon.

And you're right - I've lost compassion in myself. I'm working on it.

HUGS!

• 1 month later...

I am finally finished with school for the semester. I managed to hang on to the 4.0 GPA (just barely) and am waiting to hear if I've been accepted into nursing school for the fall.

I'm highly anxious these days. I have no doubt this stems from cramming, cramming, cramming for school then suddenly having nothing to do, combined with not knowing where I will be living in a few months or what kind of work I will be doing when I'm in school... or how I can afford doing any of this.

I am trying not to focus on the "why am I like this" and do something about it but it's really very difficult. I don't know why I am so easily agitated. A guy came into my place of business today and asked to speak to one of my colleagues. I asked if he had an appointment and he said, "I do now." This instantly sent me into agitated/angry/defense mode. I didn't blow up but I could feel myself become anxious.  I told him I wasn't sure if the woman he wanted to speak with was in the office or even available but I would go check. I asked if he had a case reference number and his name. He says no reference number and his name is John. I ask if he has a last name and he just stands there. I tell him I need a little more to go on then just "John." He finally says his last name. I walk to the back of the office and start to explain the situation to my colleague. Suddenly, "John" walks around the corner and says, "So she IS here!" I point to the front door and say, "You need to return to the lobby." He just stands there. I say, "Sir, you need to return to the lobby, now." He starts to argue and I repeat myself. Finally, he walks away. At this point I am practically seething and I don't know why. This isn't like me. I've dealt with far worse situations and handled them quite calmly but now ... Now I cannot seem to manage the level of emotion I am feeling and it scares me. Not in a I can do physical harm to someone way, but in a I'm going to say something I regret way.

My colleague dealt with this guy. And the guy apologized to us both but I couldn't talk to him. I was still shaking from the adrenaline rush.

I picked up Tara Brach's book, Radical Acceptance and am starting to read it but outside of this and once a month with an LCSW, I got nothing.

Thoughts anyone?

• Moderator Emeritus

I think you handled that situation remarkably well Sarabellum! It's not surprising that you were angry 

and the adrenalin was coursing through, it must have felt quite threatening and the fight or flight

response kicked in. That man was out of order and you put him in his place! 

It's also natural to feel stressed in your situation when nothing is certain, it would affect anyone.

You've put in so much effort and tried so hard I'm sure that nursing school will snap you up, you 

seem to have some qualities that will make you an excellent nurse, just believe in yourself.  

2002  effexor. 

• Administrator

Thank you mammaP. Believing in myself is something I have always had an issue with. 

Thank you Altostrata. I am on Meetup.com and have been to 2 different meditation groups. I am struggling to find one that's a good fit. Everyone wants to do 45 minutes to an hour meditating and I'm just not there yet. The one I enjoy (with a Buddhist monk) is over an hour away and I am the only one present. I really don't mind this and the monk I work with is very patient with me however, he will be traveling this summer and he has encouraged me to work with one of the 'nuns' who live at the monastery. She's very sweet and I like her but I'm having trouble coordinating a day and time to meet.

Right now I am caught in a vicious loop of shame. I feel bad about my situation then I feel ashamed for feeling bad. I don't know how to cultivate friendships at my age and in an area so far from home. I have been working at the same place for almost 8 years and though I've tried, I cannot relate to my colleagues beyond the workplace. So all I have right now are my two adult children and a boyfriend who I can't seem to understand very well.

There has not been a day go by in well over a year that I haven't felt like I have no future. Every day I feel like it's my last one on earth. I can't see myself finishing school and starting a career in nursing. I can't see myself growing old. I can't see myself beyond this moment really and it's very scary. 

I am told I am clinically depressed. I am told I should strongly consider doing more than estradiol. I feel like I want to give up.

Hello Sara. I can really relate to your situation at work.  I too find that my emotions are so out of control these days, especially the anger.  It used to take a great deal to get me to the ANGRY point, and these days I can flair up in a frenzy in no time and then it is so hard to get calmed down.  I guess our nervous system is in such a heightened state because of WD.  I sure hope that in time, things will settle down and be more like I used to be.  I know menopause can also cause these symptoms, so I often wonder how much is female hormones too, or lack of them at our age. LOL    Why do you feel like you have no future?  Do you mean that you just don't have thoughts about your future or you just dont care?

Sept-1990 started my first AD Zoloft never got higher dose than 50mg

Dec-1990 Quit Zoloft  =Nov-1995 Back on Zoloft for Post-partum depression/anxiety

early-1998 Quit Prozac to get pregnant   =Feb-1999 Back on Prozac 20mg

10-1999 Prozac 30mg  =12-1999 Prozac 20mg

7-2001 switch to Wellbutrin SR 100mg

8-2001 increase Wellbutrin SR 150mg

10-2001 adding back Prozac 20mg

5-2003 tapered off Prozac  =7-2003 back on Prozac 20mg

8-2003 Add in Imipramine 25mg then to 50mg    (given Xanax for bad panic episodes

9-2003 Imipramine 75 mg then to 100mg

1-2004 switch to Lexapro 10mg

8-2004 Lexapro 20mg, Imipramine 75mg

4-2006 Adding Wellbutrin 150mg then to 200mg

7-2006 switch Lexapro to Celexa

12-2007Celexa 40mg Wellbutirin 150mg

9-2009 switch back to Lexapro 20mg, WellbutrinXL 150mg

2-2010 stop Lexapro start Celexa 40mg

11-2010 switch Celexa to Cymbalta 60mg

3-2011 Cymbalta 60mg switch to Effexor 37.5 to 75mg

10-2012 thru 12-2012 taper Effexor 75mg to 37.5 and off.

5-2013 start generic Prozac 10mg to 20mg, Trazadone 25mg  BEGIN THE TAPER(6-2013 Prozac 20mg to 10mg, Trazadone 25mg. 7-2013 liquid Prozac 7mg, Trazadone 25mg 8-2013 liquid Prozac 8mg, Trazadone 25mg9-2013 liquid Prozac 5mg, Trazadone 25mg10-31-2013 liquid Prozac 3.25mg, Trazadone 25mg=11-11-2013 liquid Prozac 3.0mg, Trazadone 25mg=12-4-2013 liquid Prozac 2.8mg, Trazadone 25mg=12-13-2013 liquid Prozac 2.5mg, Trazadone 25mg=1-5-2014 liquid Prozac 2.0mg, Trazadone 25mg=(CURRENT/06-01-2014 LAST dose liquid Prozac, Trazadone 25mg)((Aug. 13, 2014 reinstate .20mg of liquid Prozac for crippling anxiety, dread (still on same Trazadone...)supplements are probiotic, Vit. D3 and Fish Oil daily)Aug 19th reinstate 6.25mg Zoloft, Sept. 4th 25mg Zoloft.CURRENT(50mg Zoloft, 25mg Trazadone)

I have a constant sense of doom. I don't know else to explain it. All of my life I have always had hope or a sense of the future. I don't anymore and I don't know why. It's like being in a constant panic attack.

Sorry was using my mobile and it ended up doing repeated posts.

I think I know what you mean. I have that more when I am in a bad wave.  It's not the same as depression, but something else that is hard to put into words or explain the emotion, or lack of.

Dec-1990 Quit Zoloft  =Nov-1995 Back on Zoloft for Post-partum depression/anxiety

8-2003 Add in Imipramine 25mg then to 50mg    (given Xanax for bad panic episodes

5-2013 start generic Prozac 10mg to 20mg, Trazadone 25mg  BEGIN THE TAPER(6-2013 Prozac 20mg to 10mg, Trazadone 25mg. 7-2013 liquid Prozac 7mg, Trazadone 25mg 8-2013 liquid Prozac 8mg, Trazadone 25mg9-2013 liquid Prozac 5mg, Trazadone 25mg10-31-2013 liquid Prozac 3.25mg, Trazadone 25mg=11-11-2013 liquid Prozac 3.0mg, Trazadone 25mg=12-4-2013 liquid Prozac 2.8mg, Trazadone 25mg=12-13-2013 liquid Prozac 2.5mg, Trazadone 25mg=1-5-2014 liquid Prozac 2.0mg, Trazadone 25mg=(CURRENT/06-01-2014 LAST dose liquid Prozac, Trazadone 25mg)((Aug. 13, 2014 reinstate .20mg of liquid Prozac for crippling anxiety, dread (still on same Trazadone...)supplements are probiotic, Vit. D3 and Fish Oil daily)Aug 19th reinstate 6.25mg Zoloft, Sept. 4th 25mg Zoloft.CURRENT(50mg Zoloft, 25mg Trazadone)

I am 10 months totally off of SSRIs now. But I feel worse than when I was on them. 

I am told it could be menopause or it could be severe depression. I have enough life drama to depress anyone but I've been through worse. I don't know why I can't seem to manage the emotions. 

It's like everything is amplified except being happy. Part of me thinks I should try going back on something for six weeks to see if it helps because I am to the point where I want to give up. I have had more bad days in the past 2 years than good and I don't feel any better. 

• Moderator Emeritus

I don't know why I can't seem to manage the emotions.

It's like everything is amplified except being happy. Part of me thinks I should try going back on something for six weeks to see if it helps because I am to the point where I want to give up. I have had more bad days in the past 2 years than good and I don't feel any better.

Hi SaraB... I'm sorry to hear the emotional side of WD symptoms, what SA has dubbed neuro-emotions, have hit you so hard. I'm wondering if you have read this thread? http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/137-neuro-emotion/

Hope you find relief is at hand soon... I found neuro-emotions harder to endure than the 'physical' symptoms of WD. Alot of docs mistakenly believe WD symptoms to be depression returning.

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

• Administrator

Sarabellum, very few health practitioners understand withdrawal syndrome could make a person feel that way.

thanks Skyler and alostrata.

I really feel a lot of what I'm going through is related to menopause. I've always had issues with PMS and suffered postpartum depression pretty badly after 4 miscarriages and 2 births.

I was off the magnesium for a few days and I wondee if this affected me too.

Everything is so amplified! Not manic - I can function but insecurities are ramped up like never before. I feel like my emotions are scrambled. Like I don't know how to react to something.

I am learning to be observant with my thoughts and emotions but now I don't know what to do when faced with something that normally elicits a reaction.

It sounds crazy. People look at me strange when I say this. I hesitate telling my therapist for fear she will insist on meds.

I can get so caught up in indecisiveness.

• Administrator

Please see our Symptoms and Self-care forum for discussions about withdrawal and menopause. Many people are in the same situation.

Sara, when I am dragging through a really bad wave, I too have such issues with indecisiveness.  It is very debilitating to not be able to make such a simple dumb decision about supper, or what to buy at the grocery store.  Its like that part of the brain has just quit working and part of it too is being numb and just not caring about anything.  But then at the same time, every little thing hits so hard on the emotions like you said about being amplified.  Sara, are you having some good windows when you feel the emotions are a little more normal??

I've been working on reading the section about symptoms and self-care. I need to spend more time on that. 

I feel like "two-second Tom" from the movie Fifty First Dates if anyone has seen that movie. I will read something and think, "Wow that's a great idea" only to find I have written it down before. This scares me a bit. 

I'm trying. I'm just so overwhelmed with finding another job, a place to live, and money to support myself through school - it's hard to concentrate on much else.

I do appreciate the support I receive here, though. Very much. Thank you everyone.

• Moderator Emeritus

Short term memory problems are also a very common withdrawal symptom, it will get better.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

I hope so Petu.

It's been almost a year since I've been off Zoloft and a year-and-a-half since I stopped Cymbalta. 

Whenever I tell doctors this they poo-poo the idea that SSRIs could cause my symptoms and chalk it up to hormones. It can be rather frustrating.

• Administrator

We've all experienced the same frustration!!!!

Well what's hard is when I do encounter someone who has some knowledge of serotonin syndrome or withdrawal, they tell me it's hard to know what exactly is kicking me. Or perhaps it's both. 

What's hard is trying to go on day after day when nothing seems to get better. I really don't have a day that goes by when I'm not feeling like hopeless. So many times a day these thoughts come in. I know they are just thoughts and I don't need to engage them but it's very hard.

I haven't been back to meditation because the monk I was dealing with is traveling. I will go back though.

I did find a CBT group that meets on Mondays. I plan on going.

I have to believe in myself. Why is it so hard ...