Sarabellum: Introduction from someone who is SSRI free but struggling

Sarabellum

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Sara,

kygirl is right, Wellbutrin is known for increasing anxiety, if you were going to try reinstatement, something less activating would have been better and at a very small dose.  I'm sorry you are going through this.  My first impulse is to say reduce the dose to 50mg for a few days and then stop, but I'm not sure.  I will try and get the advice of someone more experienced. Hang in there.

Petu.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sarabellum

• Altostrata

• Petunia

• Fitby50

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you kygirl and Petu. I am hoping I can see someone today about this. I'm cutting the dosage to 50 because this is just unbearable.

1991-1992: 25mg Zoloft (initially for post-partum depression - 6 weeks after giving birth)

1994-1998: 25mg Zoloft (post-partum again - 6 weeks after subsequent birth)

2003-2011: 30mg Cymbalta (situational depression - began tapering off in November 2011 - completely off in November 2012)

2012-2013: 25mg Zoloft (used to "cushion the blow" for withdrawal from Cymbalta)

2014: - Estradiol (slow increases as follows) .5 mg: Jan - Feb, 1 mg: Mar - Apr, 1.5 mg: May - Jun, 2 mg: Jun.

2014 - July 20 100 mg Buproprion 1 x a day.

133 mg chelated magnesium 3x per day, Carlson fish oil daily: 1600 EPA, 1000 DHA

- completely medication free as of July 1, 2013

- previous bouts with brain zaps and tremors

- continual struggles with anxiety, panic attacks, disassociation, anger, etc.

Hey Sara, you should not feel bad that you are trying to give yourself some relief from this horrible pain. We all have to do what we need too!  Did they start you on a low dose to start with and gradually increase?  Maybe the dose is too high for your already sensitive nervous system or they should try something different.  When I reinstated using Prozac last year, I always thought that my anxiety got really bad when I first started it.  She started me at 10mg and was suppose to increase to 20mg, but I only did for about 7 days and dropped back to 10mg because the anxiety was unbearable.  Talk to your doc, let them know how bad the anxiety is.  Your doing this to feel better not make you feel worse.  Did you start the IOP program? 

Sept-1990 started my first AD Zoloft never got higher dose than 50mg

Dec-1990 Quit Zoloft  =Nov-1995 Back on Zoloft for Post-partum depression/anxiety

early-1998 Quit Prozac to get pregnant   =Feb-1999 Back on Prozac 20mg

10-1999 Prozac 30mg  =12-1999 Prozac 20mg

7-2001 switch to Wellbutrin SR 100mg

8-2001 increase Wellbutrin SR 150mg

10-2001 adding back Prozac 20mg

5-2003 tapered off Prozac  =7-2003 back on Prozac 20mg

8-2003 Add in Imipramine 25mg then to 50mg    (given Xanax for bad panic episodes

9-2003 Imipramine 75 mg then to 100mg

1-2004 switch to Lexapro 10mg

8-2004 Lexapro 20mg, Imipramine 75mg

4-2006 Adding Wellbutrin 150mg then to 200mg

7-2006 switch Lexapro to Celexa

12-2007Celexa 40mg Wellbutirin 150mg

9-2009 switch back to Lexapro 20mg, WellbutrinXL 150mg

2-2010 stop Lexapro start Celexa 40mg

11-2010 switch Celexa to Cymbalta 60mg

3-2011 Cymbalta 60mg switch to Effexor 37.5 to 75mg

10-2012 thru 12-2012 taper Effexor 75mg to 37.5 and off.

5-2013 start generic Prozac 10mg to 20mg, Trazadone 25mg  BEGIN THE TAPER(6-2013 Prozac 20mg to 10mg, Trazadone 25mg. 7-2013 liquid Prozac 7mg, Trazadone 25mg 8-2013 liquid Prozac 8mg, Trazadone 25mg9-2013 liquid Prozac 5mg, Trazadone 25mg10-31-2013 liquid Prozac 3.25mg, Trazadone 25mg=11-11-2013 liquid Prozac 3.0mg, Trazadone 25mg=12-4-2013 liquid Prozac 2.8mg, Trazadone 25mg=12-13-2013 liquid Prozac 2.5mg, Trazadone 25mg=1-5-2014 liquid Prozac 2.0mg, Trazadone 25mg=(CURRENT/06-01-2014 LAST dose liquid Prozac, Trazadone 25mg)((Aug. 13, 2014 reinstate .20mg of liquid Prozac for crippling anxiety, dread (still on same Trazadone...)supplements are probiotic, Vit. D3 and Fish Oil daily)Aug 19th reinstate 6.25mg Zoloft, Sept. 4th 25mg Zoloft.CURRENT(50mg Zoloft, 25mg Trazadone)

• Administrator

Yes, Wellbutrin can be very activating, particularly if your system is already sensitized by withdrawal.

Cutting down to 50mg, then 25mg in 4 days or so, then going off probably will give you some relief.

Sara, think about this: Be careful about being dramatic about your troubles in front of authorities. If they think you are out of control, they will do their best to "help" you, usually by piling on the drugs. Don't be a drama queen in the ER unless that is what you want.

These medical options do not solve your life stresses, only you can do that. Those bad feelings are nature's way of telling you you need to make a change.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I wasn't a drama queen in the ER. I have been struggling with anxiety for some time and with all I have going on, the issue with the boyfriend was the straw that broke the camel's back. 

I wasn't hysterical. I was crying inconsolably. They didn't see me as a harm to myself or anyone. They saw me as deeply depressed and anxious.

I don't WANT to be on medication. I'm working on my personal issues. But I will tell you that day in and day out of feeling like it's my last day on earth, with no reprieve, is awful. I've felt this way when times are great and times when they are not. It doesn't matter. I need my wits. I need to be able to function. 

My house will be auctioned off on the 29th of July. I have until August 29th to vacate. I don't know where to go because though I can afford a place to rent on my current salary, all of that will change when I go into nursing school and drop down to part-time work. I don't want to sign a lease on a place I can't afford down the road.

School is still up the air because 1) I need to find supplemental income 2) I need to find a suitable job. I only have until August 15th before school starts. I have a LOT on my plate and I'm managing the best that I can but my future is on the line and I've no safety net. I have 2 kids in college and no family here. 

I am doing the best I can. 

1991-1992: 25mg Zoloft (initially for post-partum depression - 6 weeks after giving birth)

2003-2011: 30mg Cymbalta (situational depression - began tapering off in November 2011 - completely off in November 2012)

2012-2013: 25mg Zoloft (used to "cushion the blow" for withdrawal from Cymbalta)

2014: - Estradiol (slow increases as follows) .5 mg: Jan - Feb, 1 mg: Mar - Apr, 1.5 mg: May - Jun, 2 mg: Jun.

133 mg chelated magnesium 3x per day, Carlson fish oil daily: 1600 EPA, 1000 DHA

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Sara,

You have got so much going on in your life, it sounds overwhelming, I'm sure you're doing the best you can.  Over the last several years I've had to deal with similar issues to what you are going through, but not all at the same time.  I wish I could be more help, the only thing which came to mind was that perhaps you could get a room mate to share costs when you move.

Sending hugs

Petu.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

Thanks Petu.

Actually I have a classmate who has offered to let me rent out her spare bedroom and I'm looking at this closely. It's not my fist choice because I don't know what I'm going to do with a houseful of stuff and my cats but it may be the best option.

Finding the money to supplement my living expenses is what's hard. My parents have offered to help me for the first year but I don't know what I can do about the second. I'm very overwhelmed.

• Moderator Emeritus

I would get through the first year Sara, you could be much better by year 2 and

able to get by. Cross that bridge when you get to it. I was just like you when

I was moving and worried about things that were in the future. It is all part of

what we are going through with withdrawal. You can do this, you have the opportunity

To do what you want to do, and will regret it if you don't try.

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Thanks mammaP.

Right now, I'm trying to find a part-time job that will work with my school schedule. So far I'm coming up with nothing and I only have about 2.5 weeks to do this or I'll have to wait and start school next semester.

All of this and issues with the boyfriend are why I'm in an intensive outpatient program right now. I'm trying hard but it's daunting.

I've decided to put off school until the spring semester. Though the Wellbutrin is wearing off, I'm still rather anxious. I don't want to start school feeling like this and though it may be gone in a month, I'm not taking any chances. Moreover, I have to pack and move within 6 weeks. 

I've never been an 'anxious' person but I have had anxious moments. The drug pushed me over the edge. I'm so happy it's starting to wear off. I was in a constant state of fear and panic. I was scared to be alone and would break down and cry frequently. Thoughts of dying or people I love dying were constantly swirling in my head. I couldn't get the thoughts to shut off. I couldn't eat. I dropped 20 lbs in 3 weeks. It's been awful. 

Starting to feel more like myself after 4 days of being off of it. Hopefully I'm on the right track now.

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm happy to hear you have made this decision to take care of yourself by postponing school until you are more stable.  I'm also glad you are feeling better now that the Wellbutrin is wearing off.  I hope your other issues resolve themselves soon.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Thank you Petu. I am feeling better more everyday. 

I have learned a great deal through all of this.

• Moderator Emeritus

Ditto what Petu wrote. It sounds like a well thought out decision and that you're transitioning to a food place. :)

1988-2012: Prozac @ 60mg (with a few stops and starts)

Fall 2012: Returned to 40mg after discontinuing and horrid withdrawal 

Fall 2013: 40mg Fluoxetine, added 150mg Wellbutrin to treat fatigue 

Winter 2014: Attempting to taper both (too fast)

April 2014: 9mg Fluoxetine + 37.5 Wellbutrin 

Summer 2014: 8 mg Fluoxetine + 0 Wellbutrin (way too fast a drop)

Late summer/Early Fall 2014: Debilitating Withdrawal symptoms 

Fall 2014 - Wellbutrin successfully kicked to the curb but…

Oct- Dec 2014: Panicked reinstatement of Fluoxetine ->30mg - held for 5yrs

Jan 2021: taper to 20mg Fluoxetine  then tapering by 1mg every 2-3 months

Fall 2022 - held at 10mg->December 2022: 9mg->Feb 2023: 8mg ->March 2023: brassmonkey slide begins: 7.8mg -> 7.6 -> 7.4->2 week hold (April)->7.2->7mg->6.8->2 week hold->6.6-> 1-month hold ->(June)-6.5->4-week hold-> (July)-6.4 (discontinued brassmonkey slide and slowed taper)-> (Aug)-6.2->(Sept)-6.0->(Oct)-5.9->(Nov)-5.8->(Dec)-5.7->wave!->(Jan)-5.8->(Feb)-6mg and holding.

My 2014 withdrawal experience: https://rxisk.org/antidepressant-withdrawal-a-prozac-story/

Thanks Addax. I'm getting there. It's been quite a ride.

• 5 weeks later...

Hey Sara, how are you doing?  Were you able to get moved ok?  Thinking of you.

Sept-1990 started my first AD Zoloft never got higher dose than 50mg

Dec-1990 Quit Zoloft  =Nov-1995 Back on Zoloft for Post-partum depression/anxiety

early-1998 Quit Prozac to get pregnant   =Feb-1999 Back on Prozac 20mg

10-1999 Prozac 30mg  =12-1999 Prozac 20mg

7-2001 switch to Wellbutrin SR 100mg

8-2001 increase Wellbutrin SR 150mg

10-2001 adding back Prozac 20mg

5-2003 tapered off Prozac  =7-2003 back on Prozac 20mg

8-2003 Add in Imipramine 25mg then to 50mg    (given Xanax for bad panic episodes

9-2003 Imipramine 75 mg then to 100mg

1-2004 switch to Lexapro 10mg

8-2004 Lexapro 20mg, Imipramine 75mg

4-2006 Adding Wellbutrin 150mg then to 200mg

7-2006 switch Lexapro to Celexa

12-2007Celexa 40mg Wellbutirin 150mg

9-2009 switch back to Lexapro 20mg, WellbutrinXL 150mg

2-2010 stop Lexapro start Celexa 40mg

11-2010 switch Celexa to Cymbalta 60mg

3-2011 Cymbalta 60mg switch to Effexor 37.5 to 75mg

10-2012 thru 12-2012 taper Effexor 75mg to 37.5 and off.

5-2013 start generic Prozac 10mg to 20mg, Trazadone 25mg  BEGIN THE TAPER(6-2013 Prozac 20mg to 10mg, Trazadone 25mg. 7-2013 liquid Prozac 7mg, Trazadone 25mg 8-2013 liquid Prozac 8mg, Trazadone 25mg9-2013 liquid Prozac 5mg, Trazadone 25mg10-31-2013 liquid Prozac 3.25mg, Trazadone 25mg=11-11-2013 liquid Prozac 3.0mg, Trazadone 25mg=12-4-2013 liquid Prozac 2.8mg, Trazadone 25mg=12-13-2013 liquid Prozac 2.5mg, Trazadone 25mg=1-5-2014 liquid Prozac 2.0mg, Trazadone 25mg=(CURRENT/06-01-2014 LAST dose liquid Prozac, Trazadone 25mg)((Aug. 13, 2014 reinstate .20mg of liquid Prozac for crippling anxiety, dread (still on same Trazadone...)supplements are probiotic, Vit. D3 and Fish Oil daily)Aug 19th reinstate 6.25mg Zoloft, Sept. 4th 25mg Zoloft.CURRENT(50mg Zoloft, 25mg Trazadone)

• 1 month later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hey Sara, I'm so glad you delayed school.  It was just too much, all at once.  I hope your IOP has helped you without trying to drug you up. 

I'm terrified of doing anything "in the system" because I'm worried the "only solution" is "drugs."  When all you have is a hammer . . . 

And I'm beginning to feel like CBT is a bit of a hammer, too.  At least in Australia, I don't like the way it's taught.  I feel like a kid in grade school being told to sit up straight with my feet on the floor, and present my nails for inspection....

I hope you have time, or maybe space to put your feet on the earth.  I was talking to my cousin (he reads a lot of Mercola, but is a scientist - a medical technician) and he talked about bare feet on the earth stabilizing your electrical field, using the earth to ground excess nervous energy.  I remember lying with my whole body on the ground sometimes.

And please remember Niacin for a calmative.  I hope to hear from you soon, and hope you are looking through big sky windows instead of drowning in waves . . . 

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!