What's Your Experience With Psychologists?

Ellen042

Hi.  Was wondering everyone's experience with psychologists.  Sure, they label to get paid by insurance companies, but they DON'T prescribe drugs; they're not even licensed to.  I feel like I've already dragged down and worn out all my friends, but I still need emotional support.  My church referred me to a Christian counselor, but I don't know if I should make an appointment.  I need a listening ear, and other than on the internet, I've run out of people to talk to.  Of course I wouldn't mention the tapering- just the physical and emotional hurdles I have to overcome to work and take care of my kids.  Any feedback?

insomnia, anxiety, depression- since childhood

lyme disease, dysautonomia, chiari malformation- dx 4/1997

nortriptyline- 75mg since childhood

clonazepam- 3mg since 4/1997

trazodone-100mg since 4/2013, now tapering

rotating antibiotics and antimalarials for lyme disease

midodrine- 10mg for dysautonomia

repeated skull surgeries for chiari malformation

Hi Ellen,

When I saw one for career counseling several years ago, I liked her alot and had no doubts that if I had seen her for just regular counseling, I would have been very happy with her. Unfortunately, she was too far for me to drive to on a long term basis so unfortunately, our work was incomplete.

By the way, she was very sympathatic regarding my withdrawal issues and greatly looked down on psych meds. If I were in your situation, i would definitely mention your withdrawal issues even if you don't intend to make that the focus of your therapy just to make sure they aren't going to blame everything on your brain. Even if they don't prescribed meds, there are some who can make life difficult by having this philosophy. So personally, I would want to make sure they don't have it.

And during the first meeting, I would bring up any other issues you are concerned about to see how this person responds.   After a few sessions, you should have a sense of whether this person understands your issues or not.   If you feel they don't, cut bait and move to the next person. Don't waste more time and money trying to make it work.

Best of luck!

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

Just an FYI: Psychologists do have prescribing rights in a few states ~ Oregon, New Mexico, Louisiana as of this writing by Daniel Carlat, MD. Many others are pro-drug and use combination of drugs and therapy. Their websites may offer clues as to their philosophical bent. Also, if a psychologist is in an office with a psychiatrist, I would take that as a red flag.

There are probably groups or organizations of holistically /non-drug oriented psychologists and therapists. Suggestions on how to find them..? ISEPP might be a start.

http://www.psychintegrity.org/links.php

(Link to MindFreedom searchable database on list)

I only add this cautionary note because, after the trauma and harm I've suffered at the hands of both psychistry and psychology, I would react very badly to the suggestion of more drug therapy.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

Hi Ellen....we all need someone to talk to, particularly during a taper.  I know that my emotions or neuro-emotions as Healing so aptly named them run a muck.

I want to see an old counselor I used to see for years.  She was wonderful.  I also have a friend who is a Life-Coach and she ahs such intuitiveness and such a soothing quality.

We do have each other and Private Messaging is a nice one-on-one healing session.

I have learned something in my years of therapy.....There are Therapists and then there are Therapists.  My ex spouse has been seeing someone for years who keeps telling him he is not an alcoholic.  At this point in time he has probably paid off her mortgage.  She doesn't take insurance and by lying to him he keeps going back :huh:

If you need it....go for it.

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

I've had really good ones and really bad ones. What I learned is that I don't have to stay with one I am assigned (at a clinic). It's ok to ask to meet with someone else. You're hiring someone to work for/with you. Interview until you find a click.

I love my therapists now! She has a decent understanding of meds and is willing to work w my taper as long as we communicate. We've agreed to always hear each other out. Weve also agreed that she will only go against my wishes if she AND 2 of my friends/family believe my life is at risk.

Biggest thing tho. Shop around until you find the right click. You'll know when it happens.

Current:

Lorazapam2mg: 4/9/152mg - 1.5mg: already sick/nothing noticed. No changes in sleep noted after illness.  

Lamictal: 7/27/13 - 8/6/13: 400mg - 500mg(dr order) mouth sores, headache, cognitive/balance, heart palp...8/7/13 - 8/23/13: 500mg - 400mg; symptoms↓...10/10/13: 350mg; fever/flu-like <2-weeks...12/30/13: 325mg; fever/flu-like symptoms <1-week...2/10/17: 300mg; no significant changes noted. 

Discontinued:

Omeprazole: 09/2103 40mg...5/1/14: 20mg... 8/21/14 = 0

Wellbutrin: 11/22/13: 300mg – 225mg...12/6/13 delayed reaction- mood swings, weight↓, heart palp/chest pain, alerting...12/14/13: 187mg; physical symptoms↓, neuro emotions ↑, weight stable...12/20/13: 225mg; physical symptoms return, emotions stable <1-week, weight↓...4/21/14: 187mg; weight↑...5/17/14 (neurologist ordered discontinue asap):168mg; headache, mood swings, ↑weight, sleep flux...5/24/14: 150mg; headache, mood swings, ↓cognitive/balance...6/2/14: 112mg; see above, weight stable, <3-weeks... 6/28/14: 100mg; moody...7/25/14: 87.5mg; family troubles... 8/4/14: 75mg; headaches; moody... 8/9/1450mg headaches... 8/12/14: 37.5mg; 8/17/14: 25mg...8/26/14 = 0

Hydroxyzine; 10mg: 5/20/15 *prn 4/5 times then dc'd. Mood changes/rage 

Buspirone: 7.5mg: 5/20/15 *prn 4/5 times then dc'd. No changes.

• Administrator

Some psychologists are terrible and a few are excellent -- as in any of the healing professions.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

I would think that a Christian counselor would be sympathetic to your desire to get off drugs and also to your other issues, and wouldn't be likely to get off into the "woo-woo" techniques that sometimes embarrassed me back when I was a psychotherapist myself.  It's certainly worth a try, and I'd go for three or four sessions before making a decision unless the counselor starts talking about a referral to a psychiatrist for drugs.  I'm sure you know to walk away from that situation as fast as you can.

Whoever you see, I think it's important to be open about everything, including tapering off of psych meds. Tapering and the withdrawal problems that sometimes come with it have quite an impact on other aspects of our lives.  It isn't possible to have effective therapy while hiding a big chunk of what's going on with us.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

Wow.  Sounds like a mixed bag.  Thanks everyone for your input.  I do have two practical obstacles: I don't know how to pay for counseling, and I'm so physically sick that I really need to be resting in bed when not working and when the kids are in school.  Anyway, this particular counselor works at a church, not at a psyc clinic.  I used to see a Christian LPC, and she focused on our mutual faith for healing, not drugs or techniques.  For me it worked!  She kept me from becoming despondent or going into a panic attack.  Would love to go back to her, but she has retired.  The counselor to whom I was referred recently works at the same church.  My faith is my lifeline, so maybe I should give this new gal a shot.   Will let you know how it goes if I see her.  Thank you.  Of course I welcome others' input too... 

insomnia, anxiety, depression- since childhood

lyme disease, dysautonomia, chiari malformation- dx 4/1997

nortriptyline- 75mg since childhood

clonazepam- 3mg since 4/1997

trazodone-100mg since 4/2013, now tapering

rotating antibiotics and antimalarials for lyme disease

midodrine- 10mg for dysautonomia

repeated skull surgeries for chiari malformation

• Moderator Emeritus

I hope you can get to see her soon Ellen, and that she can help. Maybe she would do a home visit

because of your disabilities, that would make things a little easier for you,it's worth asking! 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy