BentBuddha

Psychedelic mushrooms, ayahuasca and other hallucinogens

Courtrose
On 10/9/2019 at 11:42 AM, goggins said:

I have flirted with the idea of trying out psilocybin to heal my emotional wounds.

However after an extensive research, I realized that my 10+ year use of SSRIs makes me a big time candidate for a psychotic breakdown.

I'm just starting my tapering journey, and it will take a long time before my CNI is stable enough so I can mess around with those powerful substances (if ever).

I'm grateful for finding resources such as this forum that help me make more informed decisions about my health. BE RESPONSIBLE PEOPLE!

I do recommend the Wim Hof Method though (with moderation).

It has a profound impact on the nervous system by activating the limbic system and the breathing sometimes will even create some altered consciousness states.

It is a great source of strength and confidence to get through withdrawal hell, and a wonderful way to connect with and heal the body

Wim Hof breathing gives me terrible anxiety. Like a physical anxiety I can feel throughout my body. Should I still do it anyways?

goggins
17 hours ago, Courtrose said:

Wim Hof breathing gives me terrible anxiety. Like a physical anxiety I can feel throughout my body. Should I still do it anyways?

I'm not sure what to tell you :( WHM can be a journey in and of itself. A lot of it is about conquering discomfort. So maybe pushing it a bit could help you break through barriers that you were not aware of.

But overall, I'd say be gentle, listen to the signs and respect your own limits.

hayduke
On 6/11/2020 at 12:22 PM, Courtrose said:

Has anyone tried microdosing psilocybin mushrooms? Supposedly they help the brain regrow serotonin receptors. Not sure if it would be helpful for a withdrawal situation though. 

For people already familiar and comfortable with psychedelics, there might be occasions where microdosing could be useful.  But you would already want to know when, why and how.  Then consider you are dealing with a wd-sensitised nervous system, and would need to reduce the doses another 10-100x over "normal" (heh) microdosing.  While the 'reset' people love these experiences for may be valuable, it would tend to sensitise you even more.  You might need more time off, and to hold longer before resuming cuts etc. 

Then there is the consideration that if you have unresolved issues in your subconscious (like many here, and just in general) they are more likely to surface during a psychedelic experience, and if this is novel to you and you don't have the backup, you might be worse off than before, at least in the short to mid term. This is really risky, actually.

Maybe once you are fully recovered from your wds and have been stable for a few years it could be helpful.  But I would always advise guides you trust.  Better, thanks to MAPS and their ilk, soon you may be able to access fully accredited therapists who can augment your healing with these experiences in a legal and supported environment.

Otherwise it's akin to deciding you'd like to learn to drive, hotwiring a car and starting by getting onto the freeway.  Not advisable, and even less so at 40 than 18!

So not a firm no, but treat it like skydiving.  You will want to do your homework, and it mightn't be the best phase of your life to start.  I'd wait for 3 years off and stable before even thinking about it if I were you.

Courtrose

Thank you for the reply. I have done a lot of research. It's a scary thing because it worsens depression for many people but then others say it totally cured their depression which makes it really tempting to try! I was really hoping to hear about experiences of people going through withdrawal who tried psychedelics but there doesn't seem to be anyone. 

hayduke

Yeah, not a wise time to roll the dice.  Wd is no party...I've pretty much thrown in the towel on weed, grog and even coffee.  Maybe not forever, but it's all outweighed by getting my life back!  When it comes to actual parties I'm having a much better time being nearly off the chemical restraints than 'compliant' but munted on the recreational shite.

Try yoga, it's most of the ups and about none of the lows 🙂

Cheers