SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

☼ Wolfhound desperate on Mirtazapine

Wolfhound

You are all such beautiful loving people. And so kind to me. God bless you all. Some of my symptoms are slowly lifting or lessening in severity. I don't have the cog fog anymore or the drunk drugged feeling. Nausea is gone. Magnesium is my go to for sleep. Still get the early morning cortisol surge, but took melatonin for two nights in a row along with the nightly magnesium 200mg and was able to push the wake up call to 4:30am. I go to bed at 8-9pm, so am finally getting 7+ hours sleep. Remaining symptoms: Adrenaline whooshing in my head all day, fatigue, breathlessness, racing heartbeat, low energy and overall weariness. I walk Opie twice a day and pace in my backyard. Have gained 3 lbs. yayy! Reading your threads is what I do all day, as I am so weak physically, but can't shut down the mind and adrenaline. Thank you and bless all of you for caring. You are all angels. Every single one of you! I am not alone anymore.

Hello all,

I found this forum and am very glad. I want to share my experience and welcome any advice and support because it is what I do not have much.

Two months ago I had a kidney infection, alergic reaction to ATB and I simply could not sleep anymore. Besides, I would like to point out that I do not have any history of depression, anxieties, simply nothing of the kind.

I contacted a help center and they told me I was having panic attacks maybe started by the illness and the lack of sleep.

Ok, I was put on Trazodone as a sleeping pill. I did not know it was an antidepressant, I did not know at the time what an antidepressant was. When I was put on 100 mg I started to experience extremely strange things, I started to fear I will cutt myself or I will jump from the window. I was scared to death, I immediately contacted the doc (at that time I had not my psychiatrist, it was still the help center), he just told me it is the elevated anxiety in my head. I told the psychologist at least 5 times, the same reply. I had the strange feeling that something is going on inside my head and that it is not my feelings.

But as they kept saying it, I gradually started to believe the docs. After 2 weeks on 200 mg, everything worsened and worsened, I had stragest thoughts about death, my death, it was so horrible. It was like the rests of my outgoing personality fight with the drug, really. I told a new psychologist, she was really scared, called the doctor, he told me to get off Trazodone (but privately told the psychologist it cannot be Trazodone). He told me to go from 200 mg immediately to 100. Which I did four days ago and I feel the most horrible sensations in my life. I asked him whether there could be problems, he said nope, it is safe.

During the weekend, I googled and find so many useful info, Dr. Glenmullen´s, for instance...so many terrible stories about SSRI, about what I feel. I now know the problem is the drug not me! But I am still scared to death because I feel so vulnerable with all these thougts. I do not know how long it will take them to vanish...I would use any of my money left to be able to enter some private psychiatry ward for monitoring since I do not feel safe, but there are non in my country and all psychiatrists seem to disregard the side effects, I read blogs from our most prominent psychiatrist that all this is rubbish. So here I am, desperat mum of three young children whom I love so much which aggravates my fear.

Edited by Altostrata
added paragraph breaks for readability

Put on trazadone for 8 weeks. Psychic akathisia started on 100 mg. Not a single doctor believed me telling me it is all anxiety in my head. Terrible suicidal urges. Got voluntary hospitalised. Acknoledged adverse reaction, put me off cold turkey. Instalated mirtazapine to block the reaction of trazadone. 5 weeks on mirtazapine.acathisia worsened, suicidal, homicidal urges. Nobody believed. Finally they stopped mirtazapine cold turkey. My heighest dose of trazadone was 200 mg, of mirtazapine 30 mg. Since the c/t, suicidal, acathisia continuing.

tried promethazine for sleep. Tried atarax. Currently taking klonopin for 10 days. Good for sleep, but my condition worsening. Unable to tell if it is klonopin or a bad wave.

In the former hospital i took twice gabapentin. It should be all my medication.

i was offered promethazin for sleep 25 mg and also small amount of quetiapine. Both are antipsychotics, even if ptomethszin very weak. Terribly afraid.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wolfhound

• btdt

• bubble

• mattinsmom

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderator Emeritus

Wolfhound,

Here is our topic on tapering Trazadone:

Tips for Tapering Trazadone

and a general discussion about tapering off of psychiatric drugs:

Why Taper By 10% of My Current Dosage?

I'm not sure what to tell you about your current dose.  Do you feel any better at all with the drop in dosage from 200 mg. to 100 mg., or did you feel better before the dosage was cut? Do you truly think that you might hurt yourself? It's possible that you've had an adverse reaction to the drug, and I want to get additional input before giving any advice. It may be that you should taper faster than the 10% we usually recommend, but I just don't know at this point.

Welcome to the forum.  I'm glad that you found us.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

Well, I feel terrible, I think I have many of the withdrawal symptoms. I want to quit the drug not by tappering only 10 percent since I think it is really killing my life. The doctor told me to drop every 4 days. I did not drop yesterday as planned, because I felt horrible. But the problem is that I do think I should quit it because of all the selfharming and suicidal thougts it has given me, I cannot think to live with it and tapering slowly, it´s impossible. But I am at a loss of what to do next since the symptoms may persist weeks.

Put on trazadone for 8 weeks. Psychic akathisia started on 100 mg. Not a single doctor believed me telling me it is all anxiety in my head. Terrible suicidal urges. Got voluntary hospitalised. Acknoledged adverse reaction, put me off cold turkey. Instalated mirtazapine to block the reaction of trazadone. 5 weeks on mirtazapine.acathisia worsened, suicidal, homicidal urges. Nobody believed. Finally they stopped mirtazapine cold turkey. My heighest dose of trazadone was 200 mg, of mirtazapine 30 mg. Since the c/t, suicidal, acathisia continuing.

tried promethazine for sleep. Tried atarax. Currently taking klonopin for 10 days. Good for sleep, but my condition worsening. Unable to tell if it is klonopin or a bad wave.

i was offered promethazin for sleep 25 mg and also small amount of quetiapine. Both are antipsychotics, even if ptomethszin very weak. Terribly afraid.

• Administrator

Welcome, Wolfhound.

Trazodone, like other antidepressants, can indeed cause those bad reactions, see http://www.drugs.com/pro/trazodone.html

This reaction is an indication you should not take an antidepressant.

When you have a bad reaction, you have a good reason for rapid tapering. However, you need to balance getting withdrawal symptoms against your desire to get off the drug.

Please keep in mind these bad thoughts are caused by a reaction to the drug. They are not your own thoughts. These are symptoms that will go away eventually, try not to be afraid of them.

As you reduce the drug, generally adverse reactions also are reduced. You may want to hold for a bit at 100mg, say a week or two, to see if the withdrawal symptoms decrease before reducing your dosage further. Rather than making big drops of 50%, as you have done, I would make 10% decreases fairly often, perhaps every 4-7 days, to lessen the chance of withdrawal symptoms.

Not everyone suffers withdrawal symptoms for months, sometimes they recover sooner. However, it's always a good idea to go off a psychiatric drug gradually to minimize stress on your nervous system.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Yes, I see the point. The problem is, I wanted to get off quickly because of all the **** it made in my head. My doc told me to go to 100mg. The effect is debilitating, so I feel I cannot bear it at home, I really cannot. I am going to hospital, although I know that it means no support, more medication, but what can I do when I feel so terrible. If only I could find a doctor who would believe me I would give him everything I have. What are your experiences in hospitals, are there always doctors who repeat all the time that modern antidepressants are hyper safe?

• Administrator

I understand. You fear the adverse effects on one hand and the withdrawal symptoms on the other.

Our experience is that hospital staff does not understand adverse effects of drugs and withdrawal any better. Quite often, people end up on excessive medication in hospitals and feel much worse.

As I said, you need to balance the adverse effects versus the withdrawal symptoms. If you continue to rapidly withdraw, you will have withdrawal symptoms, which may or may not last a long time. If you slowly withdraw, you will may have to cope with bad thoughts.

How are you feeling now? Do you have the destructive thoughts as before?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Hm, that´s exactly what I think. But I really feel that I do not have another possibility. The drop from 200 mg to 100 mg was not a good idea, but how could I knew it, my doctor told me that it would be no problem. I am spiralling into very aggressive things, at least I am able to recognise it.

No I do not want to continue rapidly. If only I could manage this drop, I would try to reduce by 50mg, but...

Well, it seems to me that there´s no way out for me now. If only I could be in a clinic with a dr. Glenmullen...

• Administrator

You can reduce by any amount you wish. See Tips for Tapering Trazadone

• 1 month later...

Hi Wolfhound. I'm checking in on you.  You've not posted, at least in this thread, for over a month.  What's going on with you now?  How do you feel? Are you still tapering off trazodone, or are you over it?  I too think you had an adverse reaction to the drug.  The symptoms you describe while ON trazodone are the ones most people feel only when coming OFF the drug.  I wonder if you were/are going through daytime withdrawal each day, as the drug has a short half life. 

I am supposed to be taking 100mg at bedtime, but come 2:00pm each day I get HORRIBLE anxiety.  The only thing that stops it is some trazodone taken early.  Not even Klonopin helps.  Right this minute I'm wondering if I should take half a tablet early, as I feel the anxiety coming on early.  I DID NOT HAVE THIS KIND OF ANXIETY BEFORE I STARTED TRAZODONE AS A SLEEPING PILL.  Now that I've started it (seven months ago) I get the anxiety no matter whether I'm on the drug, off it, or tapering it. 

I agree: this is h***. My experience also is that doctors say it is NOT addictive.  When I do get a bad reaction to a drug, they want to put me on MORE psychotropic dugs, making the h*** worse.  The only exception is when I developed a fatal reaction to Celexa called serotonin syndrome.  Then the doctor told me to stop the celexa immediately.  I did and felt better.  Not so with trazodone.  My doctor said I could taper off it, but claimed that I wouldn't have any withdrawal symptoms.  WRONG!  I too am in trazodone hell.  Sorry, couldn't help saying it.  I can't survive on it, off it, or anywhere in between.  In America it's not even marketed as a controlled substance!  What country are you in?  Is it a controlled substance there?  It needs to be!  Right now I'm about to jump out a window, so I'm taking 50mg of trazodone.  There- just did. 

One solution may be to take the drug twice a day rather than just at bedtime.  Sure, we'll be fighting sleep all day, but that beats the hospital where we'll just be loaded down with more psychoactive drugs.  That just now dawned on me.  I think I'm going to try tapering off while taking the drug twice a day.  I'll start with 50mg in the morning and 50mg at bedtime, then 25mg in the morning and 50mg at bedtime, then 25mg in the morning and 25mgat bedtime then 25mg just at bedtime THEN try to stop.  I feel better now that I have a plan.  And the anxiety is starting to ease just 10 minutes after taking 50mg at 2pm. 

Good luck to you.  let us know how you're doing. 

insomnia, anxiety, depression- since childhood

lyme disease, dysautonomia, chiari malformation- dx 4/1997

nortriptyline- 75mg since childhood

clonazepam- 3mg since 4/1997

trazodone-100mg since 4/2013, now tapering

rotating antibiotics and antimalarials for lyme disease

midodrine- 10mg for dysautonomia

repeated skull surgeries for chiari malformation

• Administrator

Like most other psychiatric drugs, trazodone is not technically addictive (causes craving) but incurs physical dependency.

Hello, I am still alive, but I have terrible time here. Please can anyone post me some scientific article about akathisia in withdrawal?

My story. I went to hospital, they acknoledged the fact that it is akathisia , they put me off trazodone completely, terrible days completely suiciadal. They put me on mirtazapine to stop the SSRI reaction, I had awful states on 15 mg of Mirtazapine, became to have not only suicidal urges, but violent as well. They say it is not a possible reaction to Mirtazapine, but put me off, its been 6 days ago, today a doctor came a told me that after 6 days I cant have these akathisia problems from the drug and that the problem is me. I am down and down. I dont think I can manage these urges at home but they dont believe me. I think I am a bed metabolizer like in Yolanda Lucire study, but what can I do? Does akathisia ever go away? How long can I manage to suffer these urges ant really not to hert myself, I do not know. Please any advice welcome, including articles or experience. Thanks I need support when noone believes me!!

"When you have a bad reaction, you have a good reason for rapid tapering. However, you need to balance getting withdrawal symptoms against your desire to get off the drug.

Please keep in mind these bad thoughts are caused by a reaction to the drug. They are not your own thoughts. These are symptoms that will go away eventually, try not to be afraid of them."

Wolfhound this was from Alto's post to you and it is very sound advise.  Ellen has been tapering this drug and she can offer good advise too.

Again, the thoughts aren't you ~ it's the drug and how it has affected you.  When the scary thoughts come on remind yourself that they are scary and obsessive thoughts from trazadone and they will stop.  Distract yourself right away.  Take a shower, clean a closet, go out for a fast walk,  jump up and down (not kidding) do something to interrupt the cycle.  Come here and post.  Someone can walk you thru it.

I don't how to taper from Trazadone, the others posted a link for you.

I have been asking questions today about Trazadone because my daughter is taking it and she is not right.  She has a glazed over look,  She looks high.  She is not herself and I can't discuss it with her without her telling me off.

She is not using discretion in her conversations either.

Glad you found the site.  You are on  your way to getting off trazadone and in good,caring company.  Now it will just take some time.

Nikki

Edited by Petu
fixed text

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

Nikki, now its Mirtazapine causing the problem and the urges are so obsessive that I cant do much, no walking and so on.

Plus I cant tapper, since its causing me what Yolanda Lucire wrote about, and in hospital they put me off it directly.

I have akathisia both on the drug and quitting the drug!

Hi Wolfhound,

For what it is worth, I got off Mirtizipine by tapering 5% of current dose every 4 to 6 weeks.  

Check this link out:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/5301-tips-for-tapering-off-remeron-mirtazapine/

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

• Administrator

Good advice, Nikki.

Wolfhound, have you been on mirtazapine only 6 days? If that is true, and you are sure it is causing a bad reaction, you can just stop it.

You may be a P450 cyp2D6 poor metabolizer. You may have had a bad reaction to trazodone's active metabolite MCPP, see http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2883-tips-for-tapering-off-trazodone-desyrel/

This can cause anxiety, agitation, and even hallucinations. See

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4966-kast-2009-trazodone-generates-m-cpp-in-2008-risks-from-m-cpp-might-outweigh-benefits-of-trazodone/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19384678

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15939985

A bad reaction to trazodone may be caused by a combination of drugs with trazodone. What drugs were you taking with trazodone? Are you now taking any other drugs at all?

Also see official US FDA information about trazodone http://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/archives/fdaDrugInfo.cfm?archiveid=44298

....All patients being treated with antidepressants for any indication should be monitored appropriately and observed closely for clinical worsening, suicidality, and unusual changes in behavior, especially during the initial few months of a course of drug therapy, or at times of dose changes, either increases or decreases.

The following symptoms, anxiety, agitation, panic attacks, insomnia, irritability, hostility, aggressiveness, impulsivity, akathisia (psychomotor restlessness), hypomania, and mania, have been reported in adult and pediatric patients being treated with antidepressants for major depressive disorder as well as for other indications, both psychiatric and nonpsychiatric. Although a causal link between the emergence of such symptoms and either the worsening of depression and/or the emergence of suicidal impulses has not been established, there is concern that such symptoms may represent precursors to emerging suicidality.

Consideration should be given to changing the therapeutic regimen, including possibly discontinuing the medication, in patients whose depression is persistently worse, or who are experiencing emergent suicidality or symptoms that might be precursors to worsening depression or suicidality, especially if these symptoms are severe, abrupt in onset, or were not part of the patient's presenting symptoms....

Akathisia can be a trazodone withdrawal symptom, see

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/781-2001-antidepressant-discontinuation-syndromes-common-under-recognised-and-not-always-benign/?hl=akathisia

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1253-haddad-2007-recognising-and-managing-antidepressant-discontinuation-symptoms/

http://books.google.com/books?id=EB00rD8AqaYC&pg=PA491&lpg=PA491&dq=trazodone+akathisia&source=bl&ots=m6GkvE-HZI&sig=AEg9ItBnC2hbvSGKMfMUlbOWNRg&hl=en&sa=X&ei=Q9igUs2aEpD1oASK4oGoCA&ved=0CHYQ6AEwBw#v=onepage&q=trazodone%20akathisia&f=false

http://www.primehealthchannel.com/akathisia-definition-symptoms-causes-and-treatment.html

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1123-lucire-2011-antidepressant-induced-akathisia-related-homicides-associated-with-mutations-in-genes-of-the-cyp450-family/

Even with all this evidence, it is highly unlikely the hospital staff will know how to help you.

Although you had a bad reaction to trazodone, you may be able to take a very small amount, 10mg for example, to help with the withdrawal syndrome you have from it. Poor metabolizers are still able to metabolize small quantities of drugs. For titrating trazodone, see see http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2883-tips-for-tapering-off-trazodone-desyrel/

Edited by Altostrata
fixed text

you may want to log onto crazymeds.com to check out drug interactions and they have forums there specifically for each medication.  I am so sorry this has happened to you.

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

I had a terrible experience with Trazadone, both going on and coming off. I took it for a very short amount of time and I believe the withdrawal lasted longer than anyone expected. I know you are on another med now but your brain is still healing. A chemical was in there that your body clearly could not tolerate. Please be patient with yourself. I know it is harder said than done, I struggle with lack of patience all the time, but remembering that my urges are w/d helps.

I'm also going to come right out and say it, I have a long history of self-harm. Its not worth it. Yes, it stopped the immediate panic (for about 20-minutes) but it is not a long-term solution to anything. I am actually proud that since I've started my taper I have completely stopped self-harming. I still get the urge, and sometimes it takes everything I have not to.

For grounding I found bubble wrap to be much more effective than a razor ever was. Seriously, I bought a roll of bubble tape and when I'm wanting to self-harm I pull off a strip and get to popping. Another thing that helps is holding an ice cube. Its good for grounding and will pull your attention away from cycle of self-harm thinking. Bare feet on the ground is good, especially if it is cold out. The key to not self-harming (for me) is to get into my body and out of my head.

That said, I have also reached out to others when I feel that its getting too big for me to handle on my own. Luckily I have not needed to go to the hospital. I am fortunate to have a supportive family, my best friend happens to also be a therapist, and I have my personal psychologist on speed-dial. The key is to stay safe, whatever that looks like for you. Keep reaching out for help. 

Current:

Lorazapam2mg: 4/9/152mg - 1.5mg: already sick/nothing noticed. No changes in sleep noted after illness.  

Lamictal: 7/27/13 - 8/6/13: 400mg - 500mg(dr order) mouth sores, headache, cognitive/balance, heart palp...8/7/13 - 8/23/13: 500mg - 400mg; symptoms↓...10/10/13: 350mg; fever/flu-like <2-weeks...12/30/13: 325mg; fever/flu-like symptoms <1-week...2/10/17: 300mg; no significant changes noted. 

Discontinued:

Omeprazole: 09/2103 40mg...5/1/14: 20mg... 8/21/14 = 0

Wellbutrin: 11/22/13: 300mg – 225mg...12/6/13 delayed reaction- mood swings, weight↓, heart palp/chest pain, alerting...12/14/13: 187mg; physical symptoms↓, neuro emotions ↑, weight stable...12/20/13: 225mg; physical symptoms return, emotions stable <1-week, weight↓...4/21/14: 187mg; weight↑...5/17/14 (neurologist ordered discontinue asap):168mg; headache, mood swings, ↑weight, sleep flux...5/24/14: 150mg; headache, mood swings, ↓cognitive/balance...6/2/14: 112mg; see above, weight stable, <3-weeks... 6/28/14: 100mg; moody...7/25/14: 87.5mg; family troubles... 8/4/14: 75mg; headaches; moody... 8/9/1450mg headaches... 8/12/14: 37.5mg; 8/17/14: 25mg...8/26/14 = 0

Hydroxyzine; 10mg: 5/20/15 *prn 4/5 times then dc'd. Mood changes/rage 

Buspirone: 7.5mg: 5/20/15 *prn 4/5 times then dc'd. No changes.

Hello all,

I decided to start a new thread because I feel that the last one was erratic and misunderstood. I will try to make myself clear now.

I was 8 weeks on Trazodone, causing terrible akathisia, in withdrawal as well. In hospital I was put on Mirtazapine to stop the reaction on Trazodone, but it became a lot worse, I became very violent on Mirtazapine and nobody wanted to believe me. I have done Dr. Lucire´s study to one doctor and he finally stopped Mirtazapine, but I immediately sank into the deepest suicididal depression possible. They told me it was a rebound depression, but I have never been depressed in my life so far! And plus all this, I still have days of akathisia.

So please, tell me how long it can last when I was on Mirtazapine for 5 weeks. Months? I hope not, please!

I cannot tapper, I am in hospital, I asked them to put me on a little amount of Mirtazapine, but they refused sayin it was an idiot thought. I do not know how long I can resist this suicidality and how long it will take to wean off.

Anybody any ideas please?

Ï must be a very poor metaboliser since I have akathisia already on 15 mg of mirtazapine. I wanted to make the CYP450 test but they won´t let me here and I cannot go out.Thank you

• Administrator

Wolfhound, I merged your topics. I'm sorry, there's only one topic per person in the Introductions forum.

It sounds like your withdrawal syndrome from trazodone was made worse by taking mirtazapine. It seems you should not take mirtazapine.

Given that you're in the hospital, there's not much you can do yourself. How can you get out of the hospital?

Here are some papers that mention akathisia as an antidepressant withdrawal symptom:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/3962-ogle-2013-guidance-for-the-discontinuation-or-switching-of-antidepressant-therapies-in-adults/?hl=akathisia

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/673-shelton-2001-steps-following-attainment-of-remission-discontinuation-of-antidepressant-therapy/?hl=akathisia#entry13950

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1253-haddad-2007-recognising-and-managing-antidepressant-discontinuation-symptoms/?hl=akathisia

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/781-2001-antidepressant-discontinuation-syndromes-common-under-recognised-and-not-always-benign/?hl=akathisia

http://www.aafp.org/afp/2006/0801/p449.html

Interruption of treatment with an anti-depressant medication is sometimes associated with an antidepressant discontinuation syndrome; in early reports it was referred to as a “withdrawal reaction.”1 Symptoms of antidepressant discontinuation syndrome can include flu-like symptoms, insomnia, nausea, imbalance, sensory disturbances, and hyperarousal. All approved anti-depressant agents have had case reports or warnings from their manufacturers of such reactions occurring in response to either abrupt discontinuation or medication tapering.2 These medications include selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs),3 tricyclic antidepressants,4 monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs),5 and atypical agents such as venlafaxine (Effexor),6 mirtazapine (Remeron),7 trazodone (Desyrel),8 and duloxetine (Cymbalta).9

Trazodone adverse effects from US FDA literature:

http://www.drugs.com/pro/trazodone.html

Other mentions:

http://www.primehealthchannel.com/akathisia-definition-symptoms-causes-and-treatment.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akathisia

http://books.google.com/books?id=EB00rD8AqaYC&pg=PA491&lpg=PA491&dq=trazodone+withdrawal+akathisia&source=bl&ots=m6GkCD_C0M&sig=ofidpGhh0Q7x0gEK9o-YDwztMpk&hl=en&sa=X&ei=2VmrUprbHc76oASVyoL4Aw&ved=0CEoQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=trazodone%20withdrawal%20akathisia&f=false

http://www.medlink.com/medlinkcontent.asp

Key points

• Akathisia is a syndrome with sensory and motor symptoms; the motor symptoms appear to be in response to sensory symptoms and are stereotyped and suppressible and decrease with distraction.

• Akathisia occurs acutely or subacutely with dopamine receptor-blocker therapy and improves with removing the drug, or it is chronic or tardive after chronic therapy with dopamine receptor-blocking agents and worsens with removing the drug.

• Mechanisms relate to dopamine, serotonin, and noradrenergic systems in the brain.

• There should be a high index of suspicion as akathisia is frequently underrecognized.

• Akathisia is a complication of all atypical antipsychotics.

• First-line therapies include propranolol and mirtazapine.

Your doctors may have read this and are trying to help by giving you mirtazapine.

Yes, I think they thought Mirtazapine will block the adverse reaction. But Mirtazapine made everythink worse and worse. I am completely hopeless, I cannot go out from hospital, because I am completely suicidally depressed and the first thing I would do will be to kill myself although I know it´s the withdrawal, but I am helpless.

Thanks for the papers very much.

• Moderator Emeritus

Wolfhound I am so very sorry that you are going through this nightmare time. 

We are all with you and hoping that you feel some relief very soon. 

My heart is breaking for you and I send you my very best wishes 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Administrator

Please try not to focus on your dark feelings and emphasizing them to your doctors. As long as you despair, they will keep you in the hospital.

Altostrata, its all daylong. I fight with severe akathisia for four months and i cannot find any more force to live, especially after the emerged suicidality after the abrupt discontinuation of mirtazapine.

What about this suicidality...how to manage it, does it disappear, could it disappear with time? I simply do not believe the horrible urges will disappear.

• Moderator Emeritus

Are you taking any medication now Wolfhound?  you wrote "after the abrupt discontinuation of mirtazapine"

You will start to feel better, when your nervous system settles down, as the withdrawal symptoms reduce.

Those horrible thoughts and urges do go away, they are a reaction to medication and withdrawal.  Hang in there Wolfhound, you will get through this and be able to take care of your children again.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

I'm sorry to hear of your hurt and desperation. I am not familiar with the medication you talk about but I know how scary and overwhelming it is to feel like something is going to last forever. It never does. The trick is to hold on and keep breathing until you find your footing again. It will come. I hope that it begins to arrive soon.

Current:

Lorazapam2mg: 4/9/152mg - 1.5mg: already sick/nothing noticed. No changes in sleep noted after illness.  

Lamictal: 7/27/13 - 8/6/13: 400mg - 500mg(dr order) mouth sores, headache, cognitive/balance, heart palp...8/7/13 - 8/23/13: 500mg - 400mg; symptoms↓...10/10/13: 350mg; fever/flu-like <2-weeks...12/30/13: 325mg; fever/flu-like symptoms <1-week...2/10/17: 300mg; no significant changes noted. 

Discontinued:

Omeprazole: 09/2103 40mg...5/1/14: 20mg... 8/21/14 = 0

Wellbutrin: 11/22/13: 300mg – 225mg...12/6/13 delayed reaction- mood swings, weight↓, heart palp/chest pain, alerting...12/14/13: 187mg; physical symptoms↓, neuro emotions ↑, weight stable...12/20/13: 225mg; physical symptoms return, emotions stable <1-week, weight↓...4/21/14: 187mg; weight↑...5/17/14 (neurologist ordered discontinue asap):168mg; headache, mood swings, ↑weight, sleep flux...5/24/14: 150mg; headache, mood swings, ↓cognitive/balance...6/2/14: 112mg; see above, weight stable, <3-weeks... 6/28/14: 100mg; moody...7/25/14: 87.5mg; family troubles... 8/4/14: 75mg; headaches; moody... 8/9/1450mg headaches... 8/12/14: 37.5mg; 8/17/14: 25mg...8/26/14 = 0

Hydroxyzine; 10mg: 5/20/15 *prn 4/5 times then dc'd. Mood changes/rage 

Buspirone: 7.5mg: 5/20/15 *prn 4/5 times then dc'd. No changes.

No

I.am.offf

Any.medicstion.its.hell.tthe.doctors.took.it

Sway.abruptly.is.there.anybody.who.had.psychic.akathisia.please

Well, now on computer.

Few questions for the people who are experienced.

The length of the withdrawal period is it marked bz the length of taking the drug? I mean, if you take the drug for a year, will you recover differently then a person who takes it for four months for example? When I read then people are recovering years, does it mean they were taking drugs for years or can you recover a long time even if you have been taking it only for months. thanks

Hello WH; this is tricky bussines, but yes, time on the drug SEEMS to determine the lenght of w/d.

But yet, every person reacts different.

I was 4+ years on the powerful Effexor, and almost 17 months later, I can say I am getting out of the woods.

It has been one terryifying journey though.

I know it is difficult, but try to live by the day; it "will" get better, it's just a matter of time.

Faith, guts and patience will do the trick.

4 years aprox. on 150mgs.Effexor for situational major depression.No AD before.
Tapered 150-0mgs in 3 months.

Tapered Quetiapine,Xanax in the last 18 months.NO med of any kind anymore.
First 3 months off acute w/d
Protracted w/d ever since.
Symptoms:Anxiety,anhedonia,insomnia,tinnitus,PSSD

04/13/2014 Awful Relapse.Recovered fairly fast.

3 years and 4 months off.

waves and windows.Very much recovered.

November 2015,health issue.Setback.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all, i do thank you for the support. I am one month after the abrupt discontinuation of mirtazapine. It was a complete suicidal hell. But i have had first two better days. Still there is time ifeel absolutely hopeless. I took trazadone for 8 weeks and mirtazapine only for 5 weeks so i cant understand why i am having such a nightmare of withdrawals. I am highly sensitive to it, i am sure. I am now in another hospital where there isa doc who believes itsa drug interaction and suspects i am a poor metabolizer, finally. Thank you all people here, without the net and you i would have been dead.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Wofhound, I am so glad that you have a doctor who is listening to you. Some people seem to 

be able to stop drugs abruptly  and others cannot. There is no way of knowing who will be sick with

withdrawal. I hope that you continue to get better, there may be some bad days but they will pass 

and good ones will follow. Please take care.  :)

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Administrator

Good to hear you're in a safer hospital.

Anyone who has taken a psychiatric drug for a month or more is at risk for withdrawal symptoms. There is no relation between the length of time on the drug and intensity of withdrawal syndrome.

But having better days is a good sign. May the windows be more frequent and longer.

Thank you. Even if i did not want to hear this...i simply thought that being exposed to the drugs for 3 months would mean that the withdrawal would be milder and shorter. Milder it is not, for sure. Well it means it could be shorter i must believe in something.i really do not want a protracted withdrawal after a limited period of time of drug use. It simply does not make sense. But i know that everybody can react differently. How do you people cope withthe trauma and the feeling your life has been destroyed?

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm happy that you are in a better place and have a doctor who is more understanding.

How do you people cope withthe trauma and the feeling your life has been destroyed?

A symptom of withdrawal is that all feelings can become intensified, they are not actually representative of reality, your life hasn't been destroyed, even though it may feel that way.

I try and live in the present moment as much as possible.  When regrets about the past and worries about the future come, I do my best to not dwell on them, but focus on what's going on right now.

For me, seeing that my old life is over, is both good and bad.  Change and loss are unpleasant and frightening and sad, but if I'm honest, my old life wasn't that great, I was pretty dysfunctional, struggling to get through life, not being true to myself.  So I'm looking at this as an opportunity to let go of the old me so that a new, more genuine me can be born.  I'm not saying its easy though.

Your situation is probably different, once you get through your withdrawal, and start to feel better, your life will be there waiting.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all,

i would like to update and sdk for advice. Thank you in advance.

so the hospital, or mental health facility or psych ward or what's the correct name in english is really friendly as are the two docs. But! They acknowledge akathisia, they acknowledge my adverse reactions, they kinda do not know anything about withdrawal but they say eveverything i have in my head is possible since no good psychiatrist can say its impossible, they say that the mechsnism of psych drugs are only assumptions and in reality nobody knows how brains react.

But they arehelpless with me. Tardive akathisia seems untreatable condition, i still am suicidal and what to do.

• Moderator Emeritus

I wish I knew ;( 

Just wanted to write back so that you know you are not alone...

at least the doctors seem to be the good news since they admit their ignorance (amazing!)

I hope it means they will at least 'do no harm' and throw more meds at you or play with dosing.

What I've learnt from reading things on this forum is that time fixes things if we ensure as much stability for our CNS as possible. This in other words means no adding or removing drugs...just enduring the symptoms and try to use non-drug 'interventions' in symptoms and self-care section... Are you able to take fish oil and magnesium? Difficult to get them if you are at hospital...

Hang in there!

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

Bubble, thanks a lot. Really. Every word from anyone who knows this hell means miracles to me.

yes the docs are amazing, really. My doc is able to say such things! Btw, she also told me that there was so little info about akathisia since no pharma company would do research into the field of side effects.

I can endure almost everything except insomnia. I have been struggling with psychic akathisia /have terrible suicidal and homicidal urges/ for months now, but i cannot handle insomnia so i am currently on 0,5 mg klonopin. I am not happy at all about this becsusr benzos are terrible and can produce acathisia as well. I have been offered promethazine for sleep, but it did not suit me. I know that time heals but i need to sleep. I only i was not suicidal i would manage, but now i an between two "hells" -possible benzo addiction or, i am afraid, lost of my faith in life.

I was given magnesiu by the doc. I tried lactium as well, no help for me. I would like to lower the cortisol, but the drug is not available in my country.