Pdtrtr: Zoloft + Risperdal Withdrawal

pdtrtr

Hi all,

I am a new member from Turkey. 

My withdrawal is going very difficult, with no signs of recovery.  I was forced into these drugs due to OCD and arguments with family but these drugs themselves caused obsessions and obsessive thinking styles, also anger. I cannot believe these are anti-obsessive drugs.  The doctor did not explain side effects nor did enough talking therapy.  He completely based the treatment on drugs and said talking is useless.   After stopping my life views changed and I am truly shocked by my past life and  thoughts with drugs.  These drugs made anxiety worse and on top of that I am living withdrawal symptoms due to sudden changes in my perception and constant fear.  The doctor offered me more drugs right after stopping (had no symptoms then) to silence me as he also knew such symptoms would appear. Because of personality created by these drugs,  I made a very bad decision regarding something that had been important to me, now my motivation in life is gone. I cannot be active because I think that my behavior looks bizarre to others. I feel weak,  not like a man.   It feels as if I am totally disconnected from my past and my body.  I do not know what to do to get out of this situation.

Thanks. 

2004: injected antipsycotics2004-2005: Cipralex, Zyprexa2005-2012: 200 mg Zoloft, 2mg Risperdal (side effects not explained by doctor)2012: Tapering managed poorly by doctor, living withdrawal since.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Pdtrtr,

Welcome to our forum, I'm sorry you are not feeling well and are still suffering with withdrawal.  There are a lot of people here in a similar situation, I am one of them.  Doctors don't understand these drugs, how they work and how difficult they are for some people to come off of.

It would be helpful if you could give a few more details about how you tapered off your medications in 2012.

What withdrawal symptoms are you still having and is there any pattern to them.  When we understand more about your situation, we can offer some suggestions.

You will find a lot of helpful support here.

Petu.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Thanks Petu.

My tapering instructed by doctor is as follows:

Risperdal tapered from 2mg between 2011 December-2012 February with no problems. 

200 mg Zoloft: March and April 2012.

150 mg Zoloft: May to July 14 (doctor insisted that I take the whole 150 mg dose at once, I don't know why) 

100 mg Zoloft: July 15- August 14

50 mg Zoloft :  August 15- September 15

25mg Zoloft:  September 16-22

Symptoms started on stopping. 

I lived many physical symptoms common to other people in withdrawal such as hypersensitivity, brain zaps, insomnia and nightmares. 

Mentally, I am living my childhood emotions between ages 12 -20 despite I started drugs at 24.  I feel like a child very often at age 33, I also look lot younger than my age.  I live depersonalization, it seems to me that I see places and people I have always seen  for the first time.  I feel like I am learning the realities of life for the first time which causes fear.   I feel resentment, guilt and shame for my past thoughts and life style although I never did something terrible, the drugs made me lose self-perspective and repressed my emotions.  Drugs inhibited the growth of my mind.  Since the thought patterns of drug period are gone, I am lost and confused.  I have listed the drug and withdrawal side effects in a word document, I can attach it if you wish. 

Thank you. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to SA.  I am so very sorry that you are feeling so bad. My heart goes out to you.

After 3 months it may be possible to reinstate zoloft  at a fraction of the last dose you were on.

Maybe 5mg, and see if that helps. If it helps a little then you could increase slightly until you are

comfortable. If it makes you feel worse then stop immediately. Zoloft is available in a liquid which 

is much easier for tapering. 

Thank you for giving us your history, if you could copy that into your signautre it will appear at

the bottom of all your posts and be most helpful for us. 

Here is how to do that. http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

And here is a link to tapering off zoloft. We recommend no more than 10% drop every 4-6 weeeks if

stable, 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1441-tips-for-tapering-off-zoloft-sertraline/

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Hi Silver star,

Thank you for your reply. 

It has been 15 months since quitting.

If this makes some of you feel better, Dr. David Healy wrote to me once that very slow taper makes no difference at all for some people.   He has seen young people going into withdrawal after just 2 weeks on ADs. 

Kind regards.

• Administrator

Welcome, pdtrtr.

Our Symptoms and Self-care forum contains some suggestions for coping with symptoms and supporting your nervous system while it recovers.

I'm sorry you and so many others are going through this. But, at least we can support each other as we heal.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

I am so sorry, pdtrtr I mis-read your post and thought it was September this year that you quit.

In that case reinstatement is not likely to work  :( .  There is lots of information here to help

you cope with withdrawal and make yourself more comfortable.  I really hope that you will

find some suggestions that will  help you feel better. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

The only thing that helped me so far is changing objects, people, friends and environment.  I think change faciliates formation of new connections and thus healing.  Throwing or donating the stuff at home I don't need or bought for no good reason for instance was little helpful.  Freeing myself from things or people that irritate me makes me little stronger.  Making new habits or even buying new objects instead of the ones I dispensed could have been helpful.    Otherwise the symptoms are cruel and tend to get worse by time for me regardless of how much time I work, exercise or what I eat.

Good luck to you all.