Angel: risperidone Injection

angel

Hi, Im wondering if anyone has any suggestions or same experiences on this awful med. I'm currently having a nightmare and was given this injection 3 weeks ago which was not even mandatory, a doctor asked me and I told him no I will stick with the pill which I did not also need. My mom at the last minute pressured me and I eventually went through with it. The reason I tried risperidone pill for a week is in sept I had an issue that someone poisoned my food/drink. It left me having a hard time thinking a lot, so I guess to try to rebalance things this is what they came up with. As soon as I got the injection I became very tired, drowsy went right to sleep. I noticed I started slurring my speech, became so slow almost handicapped. I am still like this cant think or talk much and its altering me severely. I feel like its giving me mental problems I did not even have.. I have not been outside in 3 weeks. maybe to go for a short walk a few times. I can barely bathe cook etc and have been in bed most of the time. It is the most horrific experience of my life and im not even sure im going to be ok. Im not exaggerating Im like a mental vegetable :( and I really wasn't before getting this shot. I feel like ive lost my life. its so torturous that im not sure I can live. I cant take care of myself at the moment and even my mom has been bringing me food to eat. I cant have conversation online and def not in person. im scared. this really cant be normal side effect? I tried getting checked out and just told have to let it wear off. it has impaired my normal thinking and im scared its making me have problems. Any useful suggestions or comments? this thing is nothing like the pill. Thanks

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Angel,

Welcome to SA.  I'm so sorry you have been through this horrible experience.  I didn't know anything about the Risperidone Injection so I did a little research.  It seems like you are experiencing some of the less common side effects from it.  See a list of side effects here:

http://www.drugs.com/sfx/risperdal-consta-side-effects.html

It sounds like you were give a much higher dose of the medication in injection form than what you took in pill form. Did your doctor tell you how long the effects would last.  It seems that the effects of the medication last, depending on the dose you are given.  It seems like it can last anywhere from 2 weeks to 3 months.  Perhaps you could ask your doctor when you can expect it to wear off, then at least you will know how long you are going to feel this way. Hopefully it will wear off soon.

Its good that you have got your Mom to take care of you while you wait this out.

Petu.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Thanks Petu, unfortunately I wasn't told anything about it only that it was supposed to be exactly like the pill. Me being very smart, told him I didn't want to take it and be sedated for 2 weeks. The pill makes you like that and would feel better after it wore off in about 8 hrs. I really didn't need anything for any kind of disorder, but something to help after that event was worth a try. So I almost got away with not taking it. I am very afraid its making permanent changes as im just laying a lot in some sort of state. You can imagine 3 weeks of your life like this how scary I would feel. it is still very strong so I know its still going on. Im trying very hard not to act on this as bad as it is. I was very happy, sweet etc. Before anything happened too I was very bubbly. Im not in shape to be going out to stores or anything and I find its gotten worse by the day, exactly like my system cannot handle it so the more doses that are released the more im suffering. Thanks for your support, I do hope it wears off soon too and Im back to myself. Right before I took it I was excited about Christmas and had bought my first gift, now I cant even feel anything. Always a good idea to stick to your gut about anything. I'll let you know if I feel any better : ) praying

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Angel, I am so so sorry for you, it is terrible that you are feeling this way after being

convinced to take the shot..  :(

Do you take any other medications Angel, or have you taken any in the past? 

I really hope this wears off for you very soon. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Hi thanks MamaP, I'm really hoping this is all just temporary and where its been 3 weeks hopefully starts feeling better. Its so strong and just makes your head feel paralyzed : ( Won't touch again for sure. I'm not on anything else. I'll keep you updated thanks : )

• 3 months later...

Hi I just wanted to update that I never really started to feel better and to make matters worse, I got asked to go to the hospital because I was resting from my first injection. My mom talked to someone who made me go and sadly I have been forced 3 more injections :( all in the past month. I think I am doomed at this point. Im pretty scared as after the 2nd time I noticed more change to my speech then the 3rd and 4th is pretty horrible. I think its giving me mental issues like disconnection, hard to think and talk. I feel incredibly zoned out. I am tired all the time too. Im scared of how badly I feel now. I didn't even need these things. Anyone else have bad experience? I wasn't believed about something and forced awful injections, not sure if I will be ok. I have to note that every time I told the dr about my adverse effects I was ignored completely. No one listened to me when I said was I having bad reactions. I think its making me impaired here :( I have been really zoned for the past 3 days since the final injection. Praying its temporary, but the shots last 2 months. I don't feel intelligent chatty or anything and feel like im just staring.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Angel, I'm so sorry you are still going through this.  I don't understand what you mean about being forced to go to the hospital because you were resting from your first injection.  It sounds like you are still legally under your Mom's care, I'm not sure what the law is regarding your rights to refuse medication if your parents want you to take it.

Did you ever find out what you were poisoned with back in September last year?  I'm wondering if therapy might be more beneficial for you, because it seems like these drugs are not helping you get over what happened to you.  But I really don't know what to suggest because it sounds like you are quite young and not in a position to be able to make these decisions for yourself.

Perhaps someone else has some suggestions.

Petu.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Administrator

Welcome, angel. How old are you?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Angel I am so sorry that this is happening, I really feel for you. Please keep dropping in

to let us know how you are doing. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Hi thank you for your replies. I am sad to still be stuck in this situation too. I can barely get thoughts together and everything is just zoned out hard to think and speak after 3 more I am actually scared. I'm 31 but my mom had access to my place as she used to live there and that's how things began with letting a nurse come into my apt. After my bad reaction to my first injection my mom got concerened as I was telling her way too much. The nurse that came by didn't believe me that the injection was making me feel bad and had to go and being forced 3 more times. All without a mental illness, they just didn't believe me that someone did something to me before. You can definitely say unfair treatment. I was trying to even contact legal counsel but couldn't find anyone that worked in this area. It is all a nightmare, Im glad to be home now but they fit in the injection right before I left. Im not sure if I will recover, Im not the same at all. Maybe it works well on some people that need it, but I didn't and having horrible effects. I hope this does not impair me mentally as it feels right now. Im kind of scared to go out and about, it is strong all the time too and makes you move and talk slowly. If I had been really smart I would have just told the nurse to leave my home right away instead of answering any questions about this. Its scary what can happen when people take such control over you :( I made a dr's apt in 2 weeks, and I know er visit would do nothing as it cannot be removed. Thanks for your support I hope to have some kind of nice update again

• Administrator

Angel, try contacting these people and ask them if they can recommend a patient advocate for you

Psychiatric Patient Advocate Office

http://www.sse.gov.on.ca/mohltc/ppao/en/Pages/AboutthePPAO/Locations.aspx

http://www.patientscanada.ca/index.cfm?pagepath=About_Us/Contact_us&id=50782

http://www.settlement.org/sys/faqs_detail.asp?faq_id=4001284

http://www.plea.org/legal_resources/?a=341&searchTxt=&cat=18&pcat=4

http://www.ombudsman.on.ca/Contact-us.aspx

When you say your food or drink was poisoned -- what happened? Can you keep your mother from coming into your apartment?

When you have an injection, all you can do is wait until it wears off.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, the advocate I had was no help to me. Good news is that Im home bad that I have to suffer the next month and a half. This is really bad stuff when you don't need it it can cause all sorts of problems. I was told never to take it again after the first time. I hope I recover, I am trying small steps at a time to live each day. Ive started having muscle problems sore when walking going to see if they can give something for that. I look forward to the day to put all this behind me. I really want to live a day med free and feel happy.

• Administrator

Please be cautious about taking any other drugs in your state, including whatever might be prescribed for your pain.

Are you taking fish oil and magnesium supplements, see
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

I'll try to be careful, I bought vitamins so maybe something can help. Im not sure how to get through the day, I spent time with family and didn't really say a word, that's what its done. I hope its not permanent :( Just want my thought and speech back. You should return to normal once its out right..

• Administrator

Correct. There's not much you can do if you get an injection but wait it out.

In the meantime, you might figure out a nice way to take away her key or change your locks so your mother can't come in.

Are there any other options for an advocate?

• 2 weeks later...

I have my key back so that's not a problem. I did receive a vmail that the same nurse wanted to go ahead with more shots. I didn't return the call but my goodness they don't know what their doing. Im suffering on them and they push more, I am scared im not how I was at all and barely speak. Its changing how I think, personality etc. And im zoned out. People say they cant cause harm but Im experiencing otherwise, I wish there was something I can do ive never been so scared. The last one was a month ago so I'm half way there hope I can make it ok.

• Administrator

Are you able to legally refuse treatment?

yes, where im home Im not obligated to take it. I was wrongfully given this as I had nothing wrong with me. Its the worst experience of my life and certainly terrifying. Im trying to be strong but having your abilities and function taken is hard.

• Administrator

When you interact with the authorities, try to stay very calm and speak clearly and deliberately. Don't explain to them what happened. Simply tell them you do not need the drugs, you're fine now.

If you speak emotionally, raise your voice, or start on a long story, they will think you need their help.

Are you able to work, etc.?

no I don't have function to work at this time. That's the scary part, what its doing to me. I really barely talk and im just feeling zoned out. What do I do when it gets really bad? I don't have any option to stop it from causing harm. .

• Administrator

How can it cause harm?

• 4 years later...
  • ChessieCat changed the title to Angel: risperidone Injection