SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

jvalhop cymbalta withdrawal

jvalhop

After 6 years on 60mgs of cymbalta..with the support of my Dr. I started tapering 5 months ago. I am now counting beads from a 20mg capsule..halving it...I I was doing 20mg every other day but then the symptoms really set in..and I have them...almost all of them. I am most sick in the morning but by afternoon much more tolerable of everything.. a huge part of me-with the support of my dr-just wants to stop & hurry this **** up...I am tired sore sick to my stomach-have crying spells & am totally fatigued.. the good news is that I started this med 6 years ago when I quit drinking cold turkey & now have been sober in recovery for 6 years- so I've been able to make it moment by moment & in general sm sucking it up.still go to work.still take care of my kids.still bake cookies & act opposite how I feel.but the thoughts come in..will this ever end???I hate all of this I feel like I'm a drug addict... will this ever stop???!!

after getting sober cold turkey, I experienced withdrawal and was thrown numerous meds to cure my "anxiety/depression."

I was put on Cymbalta 5 1/2 years ago.

My highest dosage was 60mgs.  I started tapering from 60mg in August 2013

I tapered down to alternating doses of roughly 10mg (I counted beads) and zero.- every other day, starting the week before Christmas 2013

Once I went without Cymbalta all withdrawal effects started so I went back to 10mg everyday.

Now, my doctor has me back up to 20mg of Cymbalta, and we've added Prozac

I've been on 10 mg of Prozac for 3 days, and 20mg for one day.. 

and anxiously awaiting the final tapering of Cymbalta....

You may want to post in the Introductions and Updates forum so that members can help you. Instructions are here:  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/25-please-start-a-topic-about-yourself-in-this-forum/

A moderator will hopefully see your post and be able to advise you further. Welcome to SA!

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

Hello, I went to your link, and at the top it says the TOPIC IS LOCKED... and I dont see any other button to post... other suggestions, I need to VENT!!!

after getting sober cold turkey, I experienced withdrawal and was thrown numerous meds to cure my "anxiety/depression."

I tapered down to alternating doses of roughly 10mg (I counted beads) and zero.- every other day, starting the week before Christmas 2013

Once I went without Cymbalta all withdrawal effects started so I went back to 10mg everyday.

Hi jvalhop,

I am not sure why it says that, someone will be along to explain it better than I. Sorry.

Oh, I just checked it. Yes it is locked because those are the instructions on how to start a topic/journal for yourself. Read through it and it will tell you how to to start posting in Introductions and Updates, since your issue doesn't seem to be benzo related. It is all confusing till you get the hang of it.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

• Administrator

jvalhop, welcome.

Here's your new Introductions topic. You probably were trying to post in the Read this First forum.

First of all, if you have 20mg capsules, I suggest you start taking 20mg a day at the same time each day.

Skipping doses may have set off severe withdrawal symptoms, as it so often does. You might be able to stabilize on 20mg per day. It may take a while, at least a month, or you may need a higher dosage to stabilize. (You might not have to go all the way back to 60mg.)

See this topic about tapering Cymbalta http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/283-tips-for-tapering-off-cymbalta-duloxetine/

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

After 6 years on 60mgs of cymbalta..with the support of my Dr. I started tapering 5 months ago. I am now counting beads from a 20mg capsule..halving it...I I was doing 20mg every other day but then the symptoms really set in..and I have them...almost all of them. I am most sick in the morning but by afternoon much more tolerable of everything.. a huge part of me-with the support of my dr-just wants to stop & hurry this **** up...I am tired sore sick to my stomach-have crying spells & am totally fatigued.. the good news is that I started this med 6 years ago when I quit drinking cold turkey & now have been sober in recovery for 6 years- so I've been able to make it moment by moment & in general sm sucking it up.still go to work.still take care of my kids.still bake cookies & act opposite how I feel.but the thoughts come in..will this ever end???I hate all of this I feel like I'm a drug addict... will this ever stop

Hello, I tried posting again... I don't know if others can see it...

The night I posted this I opened my 20 mg capsule and cut it in half, and have done that again for several nights in a row now, and I feel much better... I read your comments before about not alternating, and that definitely was a bad idea.... My guestimate is that i'm on about 10ish mgs, every day, I have always taken them at night. so i am guessing i should stick with that for at least a week before cutting further.

and it sucks because I think no matter what, I will feel like crap at some point, part of me just wants to hurry it on up!!!

Thank you!

Also, i notice my name only has an asterik next to it, while others who've posted have a dot next to their names, so i feel like I'm still doing something wrong?

• Administrator

Please don't start other topics in the Intro forum. Only one topic to a customer here. And please don't title topics in all caps, on the Web, that's shouting.

I don't see any asterisk, if there is one, it doesn't mean anything.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• 2 weeks later...

Still tapering Cymbalta... now with Prozac...

So my dr. initially started me on 10 mg of Prozac, then after 3 days moved me to 20mg of prozac. I have been breaking open a 20mg capsule of Cymbalta and counting the beads... I'm taking about 15mg of Cymbalta now with the Prozac... the side effects seem to be less intense

It was suggested to me by a few people that 20 mgs of Prozac may be too much, it was suggested I stick with the 10mg, or alternate 10/20 every other day...  which I tried, so we'll see how that goes...

I am reaching out to others who've gone through the same thing, I'm in constant contact with my doctor (who is amazing, she told me she wished she could take all of this away, but I can do this), my primary care doctor is aware, and so is my pharmacist, whom I've also come to know very well over the years, and she also knows alot about all of this...

I'm still feeling "off..." my body aches, and I'm still very nauseus and fatigued....and experiencing headaches... all of which I think are typical...

so the next step is to be on the Prozac for a little while, then drop the cymbalta... and knowing my med sensitivity, I will probably still have to do that a little at a time....

I have good days; I keep track of all the positive things i do. they keep me hopeful, and are reminders that someday i will be back to myself...

,i keep track of my side effects...

I will say this, enough is enough. I've had it with Cymbalta. I don't want it anymore, I want it out of me. All of this is crazy, and I feel like I'm crazy- like I'm making this stuff up... everyday, I wake wondering, is this day going to be better....and now, one day at a time, things are changing....   -Jen

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Jvalhop, I am a bit confused! You were feeling better on 10mg of cymbalta but your doctor

put you up to 20mg and added 10mg prozac, then increased the prozac to 20mg? 

Why did he do all that?

It isn't a good idea to alternate doses of prozac 20/10, the nervous system needs

stability. If 20mg of prozac is too much then I think it would be better to stick with 10.

But I honestly am confused why you were given prozac when you felt better on 10mg of cymbalta! 

But then, I am always a bit slow to catch on, lol. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Nope, I've never felt better at the 10mg of Cymbalta, well, it was better than nothing at all, but she put me back up to 20mg of Cymbalta because that was the last comfortable dose I was at before all the withdrawal side effects started.... I was just put on 10mg of Prozac this week, in hopes of reaching 20 mgs of Prozac..and then begin the taper of Cymbalta... but I've always been med sensitive so several people suggested staying on the 10mg of Prozac instead...

Does any of this make sense.. I hate dealing with all this, I'm not qualified to mix and match my own meds...??!!!!!

• Moderator Emeritus

This one is beyond me I'm afraid! I think this is  for one of our more experienced 

staff. I just don't understand doctors and have no idea what they are thinking sometimes

when they are prescribing these drugs! 

Well done with getting off the alcohol, that must have been quite an experience,

it was very brave and you've done well.  :)

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Administrator

Your doctor is cross-tapering Cymbalta and Prozac. That's the preferred way to make a switch.

How long have you been taking 20mg Prozac?

What is the plan for reducing the Cymbalta?

Please do not alternate doses of Prozac. That just complicates your situation.

• 1 month later...

I have been off cymbalta for 1 month & 18 days. Went through all the side effects for about 3 weeks. I made myself get out of the house everyday-met & called friends for support. I can't seem to find feedback from people about after they succeeded at getting off cymbalta. I am constantly fatigued & still having stomach problems. My Dr says this may go on for a few more months as my body continues to adjust..does anyone have any experience strength or hope to share?

• Moderator Emeritus

Are you still taking Prozac?  What dose? Would you please update your signature.

I'm sorry you are still having problems, I've never taken Cymbalta, but I did try to take Prozac for 5 days when I had been in withdrawal from Lexapro too long, it didn't work and made me feel worse.

As long as you are not feeling significantly worse, I think you will adjust in time, stomach problems and fatigue are common side effects of many antidepressants, they are also symptoms of withdrawal, so it would be difficult to know what's causing them.

Are you taking omega 3 fish oil and magnesium, many people find these supplements help.  Also, taking a pro-biotic can sometimes help with stomach problems.

I hope you start to feel better soon.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Thanks Peru. I only can only access the internet via my phone & I cannot seem to access a lot of this site- I can't find how to update my signature-suggestions welcomed...

I wasn't even on the prozac for a month-it was awful; made me jittery, anxious, sweaty, & I woke often through the night so I stopped that.. actually,about a month ago now. I am taking a multivitamin my friend/pharmacist recommended (after telling me she knows patients who can't get off cymbalta because of the withdrawal). I have taken probiotics in the past but was nervous to mess with my stomach even more.... I am so glad to be through the worst of it..I had my levels checked..was even checked for mono...but I am relieved to hear that this fatigue & stomach issue will pass & sounds normal for getting off the med. I am ready to move on & put this behind me... my Dr & few friends say this may go on for another few months....? Maybe more... I have no clue...just taking short naps when I can....-Jen

• Administrator

How much Cymbalta are you taking now?

Completely off Cymbalta for 1 month 20 days!!!!!

• Administrator

What happened with the Prozac switch? How did you go off Prozac? How did you go off Cymbalta?

The prozac switch did not work, like I said above it made me feel worse. I stopped it. I was on it for maybe a month...I'm med sensitive-felt it right away. As stated in my first few posts I started tapering back in august (5 months ago at the time of my post).Jan 4 2014 was my last dose of cymbalta..I counted beads & was at about 10mgs. I was already experiencing withdrawal so WE stopped. I went through the hell...for a good 3 weeks...now I feel good but for fatigue & still having stomach problems...which I hear is normal for this AD...?

Altostrata- you were right... early on alternating days/doses of cymbalta set off the withdrawal & the 20mg of prozac was too much..and evidently so was the 10mg...I found out the hard way...

• Administrator

I hope that you're okay, jumping off at 10mg. Please keep us posted about how you're doing.