SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Hopefull: suffering from PGAD

Hopefull

I am so glad that I came across this forum! I feel like crying when reading peoples stories and their struggle with coming off the antidepressants! I was prescribed Zoloft for anxiety and Depression which I have been suffering for years! Mainly anxiety and panic disorder! I am otherwise healthy.

Zoloft caused PGAD that has caused me so much anguish, I feel like I am living in a nightmare! I only took Zoloft for 3 days 25mg and this happened to me! I wanted to and still have thoughts of suicide! I felt that I was some kind of a freak and pervert! It has been 4 weeks and things have improved but not completely gone! I constantly feel burning sensation, and tingles that drive me crazy! I can deal with the burning sensations but tingles I can not stand!

I got better then I took a herbal supplement for anxiety and it has come back today! I am taking fish oil supplement and I wonder if I am now sensitive to fish oil too??? Should I stop or cut back on fish oil? I just don't know what to take anymore! I never could imagine that this could happen to me as I was not aware! The doctor did not mention anything so I had no idea! I am naturally a slim person and my only worry at the time was if I was going to gain weight while on antidepressants, and my doctor reassured me "Very Unlikely". I took her word for it and I took the medication.

In did not want to deal with, anxiety, depression and plus weight issues as a result of antidepressants! I told my doctor what happened to me and like many others have reported "she has never heard of it". That made me feel so humiliated and embarrassed.

The point is that the doctors are not educated in regards to this issue. I recently went back to her and told her that I am still experiencing issued down below, burning sensation ever since Zoloft and she said that it is a coincidence! I am sick of doctors, they are full of ****! You tell them one thing and they turn it around! I just prey this eventually goes away and settles down! If this does not settle down I would consider removing sensitive part of my anatomy! I hate it! I can't stand it! How is everyone else coping with this? What have you found that helps? I have not felt peaceful down below for the last 4 weeks! I have never heard of this condition prior to taking antidepressants. Please help, Thank you.

Edited by scallywag
Deleted content requested by member

DRUG HISTORY:

November 2013- Zoloft, ( Bad reaction).

January 2014 - March 2014 Seroquel.( Quit Cold Turkey).

January2014- Mirtazapine, I was taking 15mg at one stage, reduced to 7.5mg, Pgad reactions to Mirtazapine. Doctor kept increasing it to 37.5mg, until July 2014. No improvement, experiencing panic attacks, on 37.5 mg. I had enough by October 2014. Began tapering.

October 2014- Started tapering Mirtazapine from 37.5mg.

September 2015- Down to 4mg of Mirtazapine. Crashed.

September 16th- Up dosed to 5mg. Held this dose for almost 5 months. Stabilised.

February 2016- Began tapering again. From 5mg to 4.5mg of Mirtazapine. (Rocking the boat, again)! Lol. :(

That is very true! You no longer feel like you have a control over your body! You just want it to STOP!!! I am angry at my doctor and Pfizer!

DRUG HISTORY:

January2014- Mirtazapine, I was taking 15mg at one stage, reduced to 7.5mg, Pgad reactions to Mirtazapine. Doctor kept increasing it to 37.5mg, until July 2014. No improvement, experiencing panic attacks, on 37.5 mg. I had enough by October 2014. Began tapering.

September 16th- Up dosed to 5mg. Held this dose for almost 5 months. Stabilised.

February 2016- Began tapering again. From 5mg to 4.5mg of Mirtazapine. (Rocking the boat, again)! Lol. :(

• Moderator Emeritus

Moved from 'Symptoms' area.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hopefull,

There are two things you can do to help yourself right away, and the first of those is to quit telling yourself that you "can't stand it". You can and you will. There are many people on this earth who are in far more pain than you and they manage to get by from one day to the next.

The second thing you can do is quit looking for some kind of medication to take.  Your nervous system has been overstimulated and the best thing you can do is leave it alone to heal itself.  Aside from magnesium and high quality fish oil, there are no supplements, over-the-counter remedies, or prescription drugs that are going to help and even those two aren't foolproof.

Not everyone gets PGAD. In fact, it seems to be only a minority of our members who've reported having it. It will go away gradually over time.

When you have a chance, please add your drug history to the signature area of your profile:

How To Add A Signature To Your Profile

Welcome to the forum.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Hopefull, welcome to surviving antidepressants. I'm sorry you are feeling so bad, it is 

terrible what these drugs do to people. It is really awful that you are feeling this way after only 3 pills.

You are not alone, others have reported this too, there is a topic on PGAD here if you would like to read it. 

I wish I could be more help, 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4587-persistent-genital-arousal-disorder/?hl=pgad#entry57117

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Administrator

Welcome, Hopefull.

Some people have severe adverse effects from antidepressants after taking only a few doses. You are one of those people. This is an indication that any antidepressant drug is not good for you.

You've only been off Zoloft for 4 weeks, and your symptoms are getting better. This is a good sign. Please be patient.

Your nervous system needs time to heal. It is very sensitive now. As you have discovered, even herbal supplements can make you feel worse.

Do you get any strange reactions shortly after you take fish oil?

Have you tried magnesium as well http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi Everyone,

Thank you so much for replying to me it means a lot to me even though I don't know anyone. I have noticed that even herbal supplements now give me trouble. I did not take any fish oil today it seems better.  I have never taken antidepressants before. I have noticed ever since I have taken Zoloft that even my panic attacks have changed. I no longer get really bad heart palpitations. I understand that there are people that are lot worse, but because my mother had schizophrenia I am worried that antidepressants have caused permanent imbalance. That is why I am so worried. I suffer from anxiety disorder and this is caused me more worry and panic attacks. I honestly was not aware that this could happen and I am trying to be strong and keep going as I have children. The only things that I have taken in the past is Xanax and recently Alepam 15, ( Oxezepam). I have noticed that Alepam can help not sure why, but then I get really bad burning sensations. When I get really bad anxiety I have noticed that I tend to get flare ups. Why is the body doing this now? When all of this has been going on, my acupuncturist gave me some herbal supplements which I took 2 days ago and it has caused a flare up. But I also took fish oil on that day so I am not sure. I am trying not to take anything now to give my body time to heal. What do any of you do to help ease your symptoms? I was wondering if anyone has tried hyperbaric chamber treatments? I looked it up on the internet and it is supposed to promote healing of the brain and any other injuries.  I am thinking of trying it to speed up the healing process. I am trying to be positive but sometimes it can be hard like a roller coaster ride. How do you all cope? What do you do? I have not taken magnesium on regular basis. I am not sure if I should or should I wait for things to settle down. I was wondering if this has happen to anyone else after they have taken antidepressants for a very short period of time?  I guess I have to be patient. Once again thank you for your support. I hope you are all well. I appreciate any suggestions.

DRUG HISTORY:

• Administrator

You are getting odd reactions because your nervous system has become hypersensitive.

To help it heal, treat it gently. You won't be able to push it along very much without hurting it more. Think of supporting it while it does its work.

See our Symptoms and Self-care forum for suggestions http://tinyurl.com/3hq949z

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Thank you.

DRUG HISTORY:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I am happy to report that my PGAD symptoms have pretty much gone! I only feel slight sensation but I know with more time it will pass. I have recently seen a psychiatrist who has prescribed a low dose of Seroquel. 15mg initially and eventually 25mg per day for anxiety disorder.  I am a bit weary of new medication and I wonder how others have found this medication. I know we are all different and respond differently. Are there any happy stories regarding anti-depressants?

DRUG HISTORY:

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Hopefull,

Thank you for updating and I'm happy to hear that your PGAD symptoms have almost gone.

Please think very seriously before agreeing to take Seroquel, its a strong medication with a very nasty list of side effects.  I'm disappointed that you have been given it for anxiety, its an anti-psychotic medication, made for schizophrenia and psychotic symptoms associated with bi-polar.

My sister was put on this a few years ago, she hated it because it made her sleep all day, but she had a terrible time getting off it.

I hope members here who have actual experience of it will chime in and share their experience.

Here is a link with some information about it, please scroll down and look at the side effects before you decide.

http://www.drugs.com/pro/seroquel-xr.html

Petu.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Moderator Emeritus

I took seroquel and it made me quite ill, I wasn't on it very long. 

Are there any happy stories regarding anti-depressants?

Sadly I don't think there are! There will be people who say that anti depressants have saved them, I was one of them,

but they don't 'work' forever, and cause more than they help. That is my experience. 

This is a good video by Doctor Peter Breggin, psychiatrist, on psychiatric medication. 

I agree with Petu, research carefully before starting any new medication. 

You might find some useful suggestions on coping with stress and anxiety here. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1112-non-drug-techniques-to-cope-with-emotional-symptoms/

I'm glad things are improving for you, , and I'm sure things will continue to get better. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Administrator

Don't take Seroquel unless you want to stay on the drug merry-go-round with a drug that's even more destructive than antidepressants.

I wouldn't go back to that psychiatrist if I were you.

Hi,

I am happy to report that my PGAD symptoms have pretty much gone! I only feel slight sensation but I know with more time it will pass. I have recently seen a psychiatrist who has prescribed a low dose of Seroquel. 15mg initially and eventually 25mg per day for anxiety disorder.  I am a bit weary of new medication and I wonder how others have found this medication. I know we are all different and respond differently. Are there any happy stories regarding anti-depressants?

Hi Hopeful, Sorry I'm coming in late on your thread and not while you were suffering last month. 

I had PGAD after CT in June last year. I reinstated half the dose (citalopram) and that made the PGAD almost go away within the week, and it gradually subsided to nothing over a month (I think). Since then, I have not had it at all, even though I've tapered (gently, 5--7%) three times since then. I'm not taking any other meds. 

I can't comment on Seroquel (citalopram is the only AD I've taken) but I'd say carry on hanging on in there as you are  :)

Started citalopram May 12, from 10 to 40 mg/d over 2 months

Wanted to come off in May 13 and did it too quickly: decrease from 40 to 0 mg/d over 2 weeks; WD from then onwards, increasing in intensity to be unbearable at 4 weeks later;  reinstated 10 mg/d for 2 days (WD severity halved); reinstated 20 mg/d (initial WD symptoms decreased but not gone entirely until after 8 weeks)

Started 5--7% taper: Aug 13: 19 mg/d, mild WD on day 3; thereafter none notable; Nov 13: 18 mg/d, no WD; Dec 13: 17 mg/day, no WD for 3 weeks, then (at Christmas) tearfulness; Jan 14: 16.7 mg/d, Apr 14: 15.7 mg/d, Jun 14: 14.5 mg/d; Jul 14: 13.5 mg/d (6.9% reduction), Aug 14: 12.5 mg/d (7.4% reduction)

Sharing experience makes a difference

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you MAMMA P for the informative video in regards to anti-psychotics. I am weary about antidepressants.  That was another reason why I agreed to Seroquel. I had a lot of trouble sleeping. Since then I have also been prescribed 25mgs of mirtazapine. I am not experiencing any major side affects as yet. I do worry about what this could do to me long term. But at the same time when you are suffering mentally I is hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel. But I am feeling better. I don't know if I am feeling better because I am getting better on my own or because I have taken Seroquel since 16th of January and Mitrazapine since 28th of January. I certainly do not ant to end up on drug merry-go-round.

Edited by Petu
Deleted content at member's request

DRUG HISTORY:

• Moderator Emeritus

I hope all goes well for you Hopefull, remember when you are ready to come off these meds to taper slowly.

2002  effexor. 

How are you going Mamma P? My Psychiatrist said that I will be on medication for about a year. What happens when you begin to withdraw slowly from antidepressants? Is it really hard? When you taper slowly from medication do you have withdrawal symptoms? How long doe it take to get off them if you take them for a year?  I still have long way too go. I am just wondering.... Thank you.

DRUG HISTORY:

• Moderator Emeritus

It isn't too difficult to taper, doctors usually advise a taper that is far too fast, then say

that it is a return of depression when withdrawal symptoms appear. 

A slow taper can mean that there are very few, if any, withdrawal symptoms. You don't have to wait a year to

start to taper, you can do so whenever you like! 

Reducing the med by less than 10% every few weeks means that the brain and nervous system can stabilise 

between cuts and many don't feel a thing!  It doesn't matter if it is 1,5 or 10 years on an AD, slow tapering is

the only way to avoid withdrawal. A small number of people can go faster but there is no way of knowing if

you are one of those people until you try it, and if you get withdrawal it can be horrendous for some. Much 

better to avoid that possibility! 

2002  effexor. 

• Administrator

Seroquel is not a drug recognized to treat OCD. Your doctor is experimenting on you. Good luck.

• Moderator Emeritus

I have experiences with anxiety and panic but I don't see myself as suffering from any disorder.

It's just that because of hard conditions in my childhood and my sensitive nature I don't cope well with stress. But over years I have become aware of these things and cope with life challanges better.

I gues what they call OCD is also a way of coping with difficult reality that one can learn to change without medication. I don't think any of these are medical conditions or illnesses. 'medication' just supresses the symptoms by manipulating our complex nervous systems.  

Some of that 'medication' is very harmful and unfortunatelly medical professionals know very little about how to safely stop taking them nor do they know enough about how they affect us.

The reason we re all here is not because we suffer from some illness or other, but because medication hindered our natural recovery and caused us to have worse symptoms than the once that prompted us taking thos emedication in the first place.

all the best to you too,

bubble

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

• Administrator

I'm sorry, that genetic testing is being oversold, as so much is in psychiatry. It indicates which drugs will cause certain problems because of liver metabolism. It does NOT indicate which drugs will "work" or guarantee you will not suffer serious adverse effects from them apart from metabolism issues.

Hi Hopefull,

KBT, mindfulness, meditation, Yoga, sound balanced diet, life style changes, environment adaptions etc, all the non medical treatments is the only long term solution. Mirtazapine can be a crutch short term, but do NOT forget to do your KBT exercises and other helpful things. They are the things you need to build your future on. Taper of Mirtazapine slowly as soon as you think you have incorporated the non medical treatments and have effect from them.

Mirtazapine is not treating any illness or correcting anything. Only camouflaging/suppressing. Your body will eventually get used to the drug, and before that happens you should taper of it.

2010: Mirtazapine 30mg followed by Zopiclone 7.5 mg for sleep post surgery due to pain.
2012-> Tapering Mirtazapine and Zopiclone at different rates unsuccessfully.
2013: Hospitalized 10 days due to complete Insomnia. Forced back up to 45mg Mirtazapine, 7.5 mg Zopiclone and also Theralene 1 ml.
2013-03: Lab showed Vitamin D deficient. Found the vitamin d and insomnia connection. Supplementing vitamin d. Sleep improved by 1-2 hours
2013-04: Dropped mirtazapine to 30 due to severe side effects. Quit Theralene. Zopiclone 7.5.
2013-05 - 2013-11: Mirtazapine taper monthly 25 20 15 11 8 4 2.5 mg
2013-12 Holding M at 2.5. Need to taper Zopiclone due to daytime nausea and vomiting. Taper zopiclone 1/4 red every 5 d. Last Z 2013-12-19
2013-12-31 M:2.5. Reinstated Zopiclone 3.75 due to Insomnia
2014-01-06 M:2.5. Taper Z 1.9 ... 2014-01-14 M:2.5. Z 1 mg.
Jumped of Zopiclone 01-20. Jumped mirtazapine 02-16.

Theralene: 10mg 02-09. 8mg 03-09. 5mg 03-15. 4mg 03-24. 3mg 04-08. Jumped 04-21.
Zopiclone free for 251 days. Mirtazapine free for 224 days.

I am aware of that. I am having second thoughts about antidepressants. I would like to come off them. 

DRUG HISTORY:

I would advice that you find a good psychologist that specialize in your specific problems. Preferably someone who believes in non drug treatments. I do not like many of the diagnosising, labeling, disordering and brandings going on. You are unique and think most often all these diagnoses being thrown around are symptoms from environmental factors, social factors, stress, post tramatic stress etc. There is no pill that will fix that. A good psykologist can probably help better than any pill. Stay away from most psychiatrists!

What to taper and how fast i think altostrata or some one more knowlegable on multi drugs can give you some help with.

If the drugs you are currently taking works, then you have got a respite that can be uses to get some counseling, get your "armor and tools" ready for when your of the drugs. Thats is maybe the only thing some of these drugs might be helpful for. A short respite.

Good luck!

Wulfgar

2010: Mirtazapine 30mg followed by Zopiclone 7.5 mg for sleep post surgery due to pain.
2013: Hospitalized 10 days due to complete Insomnia. Forced back up to 45mg Mirtazapine, 7.5 mg Zopiclone and also Theralene 1 ml.
2013-03: Lab showed Vitamin D deficient. Found the vitamin d and insomnia connection. Supplementing vitamin d. Sleep improved by 1-2 hours
2013-04: Dropped mirtazapine to 30 due to severe side effects. Quit Theralene. Zopiclone 7.5.
2013-12 Holding M at 2.5. Need to taper Zopiclone due to daytime nausea and vomiting. Taper zopiclone 1/4 red every 5 d. Last Z 2013-12-19

Theralene: 10mg 02-09. 8mg 03-09. 5mg 03-15. 4mg 03-24. 3mg 04-08. Jumped 04-21.

Hi to everyone,

I am really disappointed and frustrated but my PGAD has flared up on and off ,since last week. I saw my doctor to get e referral to a psychologist and he said that sometimes it takes a while for the symptoms to settle down and finally clear! I am sooo frusturated because I was really good and all of a sudden I am experiencing mild symptoms on and off again! How long does it take for this to settle down???? It has been 3 months! :( Has anybody else experienced this? This is driving me crazy! Could this be permanent? I feel strong now, so I can handle it, symptoms are mild. It feels like it wants to flare up but it never flares up fully, if that makes sense. Not sure if mirtazapine is adding fuel to the fire! How long can Zoloft linger on in your system if you have only taken it three times and had a really bad reaction??? Thank you.

DRUG HISTORY:

Hi, im glad thar you are tapering of Seroquel. That drug is a killer. Taking or withdrawal from seroquel might be the problem. Mirtazapine might also have influence.

Your doctor is brain damaged or worse! He should have given you a referral to a psychologist. He actualy believes that he can cure you with antidepressants and antipsycotics. There usualy are a conflict between psychiatry and medicine. Many psychologists knows better in regards to these meds. There are situations where they can be used as a last resort, but not to mass medicate the populace.

If a kid is thowing a tantrum at the supermarket for wanting something he cant have, there are several parenting solutions to the problem. You can be assertive and then comforting, or you can beat him/her up. Both will end the tantrum. These medications is the beating up part. It morphs on problem to an other. It messes the kid up, and you get other symptoms at a later stage. Brain surgery with a crowbar.

If you give antidepressents to a kid with low empathy and impulse control, then you get a less depressed kid that later on performes a school shooting.

Next time demand to se a psychologist. Be angry if you are able.

• Administrator

Hopefull, you probably are having an adverse reaction to mirtazapine. Mirtazapine can be sexually stimulating, see

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10431683

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23251203

In this study, mirtazapine was used to treat depression. Mirtazapine is a noradrenergic and serotonergic antidepressant. The enhancement of serotonergic neurotransmission is specifically mediated via 5HT1 receptors because mirtazapine is a postsynaptic serotonergic 5HT2 and 5HT3 antagonist.17 Clinical researches have shown that mirtazapine has an overall efficacy similar to that of tricyclic antidepressants, but with relative absence of cholinergic, adrenergic, and serotonergic side effects.18 Some studies have reported that for patients who have a satisfactory antidepressant response to SSRIs but experience sexual side effects, discontinuing the SSRIs and initiating medication of mirtazapine often can provide continuing remission of depression and returning of satisfactory sexual functioning.12,19 Recently, Kim and their colleagues suggested that the different rates of sexual side effects between the patients in the SSRI-treated group and the mirtazapine-treated group may be due to different effects on brain activation.20 Although 5HT2 and 5HT3 antagonism of mirtazapine is thought to contribute to less sexual dysfunction, the precise mechanisms are not yet clear understood and need to be further studied in the future.

I experienced this myself on a tiny dosage of mirtazapine, though not to the level of PGAD.

Among antidepressants, mirtazapine is widely known to be sexually stimulating. Since your doctor didn't know this, this suggests you need a new doctor.

If I were you, I'd reduce mirtazapine. Is it helping you at all?

You've only been taking it since Feb 4, correct? I might reduce by 5mg every 4 days. See http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/5301-tips-for-tapering-off-remeron-mirtazapine/

Hi to everyone,

I have stopped taking Seroquel and my symptoms seem to have improved. I very cautious in saying this.  The day my symptoms completely disappear, is the day that I can say that I am better with certainty.  Right now, I AM BEING CAUTIOUSLY OPTIMISTIC. My flare up are not fully PGAD symptoms. It just feels like I am having mild flare ups.I have improved greatly emotionally. But I am still having doubts about taking mirtazapine and wonder if I am getting better on my own or the drug is really helping me? To Altostrata, how long did you have slight arousal feelings while you were taking mirtazapine? I have only taken mirtazapine for 1 month.

Edited by Petu
Removed some detail at member's request.

DRUG HISTORY:

• Moderator Emeritus

Glad to see you are feeling better Hopefull. Did you taper the seroquel or cold turkey? 

The longer you are on Mirtazapine the harder it will be to get off it. You had adverse reactions to zoloft

and could have reactions to mirtazapine too.  We have members who have become very ill after 4-5

weeks on ADs and are finding it very difficult to taper also. I am not trying to scare you but this is happening to 

people right here and is heartbreaking to read their stories. 

It's your call, but to be honest, having learned so much on this site,  and read some books. All backed up by

science and evidence, I would not touch another AD EVER! 

Whatever you do I wish you well and hope you can overcome your OCD with non drug methods. 

2002  effexor. 

I quit Seroquel cold turkey. Doctor told me not to take it for 3 days and see how I feel. I have not taken Seroquel for 4 days. My symptoms have improved but not completely gone. I do feel that mirtazapine is giving me mild PGAD side affect even though my doctor assured me that mirtazapine does not affect your sexual organs, as it works differently to Zoloft. I have read so many stories here and people being on different types of AD's and that is very scary to me. I am speaking to my doctor on Monday and I will make my decision then. It is not too late to get off the medication and seek alternatives. I hope everyone else is feeling ok. I guess we are all different and respond to AD's differently. I know of people who are doing ok. with hardly any side affects. What might work for some people obviously does not work for others. Thank you for the advice. I will keep you updated and see how I go.  :) 

DRUG HISTORY:

• Administrator

From my own personal experience with mirtazapine, your doctor is incorrect. It is sexually stimulating.

Yes, it has effects on sexuality. These drugs messes with almost everything in the body.

• Moderator Emeritus

I did an internet search using mirtazapine + sex and got a lot of hits with anecdotal evidence for an increase in sex drive and activity with this particular antidepressant.  Here is a link to a discussion about it on psychforums:

http://www.psychforums.com/medication-anti-depressants/topic78265.html

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Hi to everyone,

Can someone please tell me whether mirtazapine can cause adrenaline rush? I am now taking 7.5mg as advised by my doctor. I used to take 15mg. My PGAD improved only yesterday I experienced mild symptoms. But since reducing the dose I have experienced adrenaline rush to my head at night time. This has happened twice since last Tuesday. I experienced the same thing after I took Zoloft it is horrible. If feels like a panic attack but it is not exactly!  I just feel adrenaline rush in my head! It feels like AD'S have changed my panic attacks. Has anyone else experienced this? I am speaking to my doctor tomorrow and I wish to get off mirtazapine. AD's are not really for me. I am obviously super sensitive. Thank you for the advice I really appreciate it.

DRUG HISTORY:

Yes, i had adrenaline/cortisol wakings during taper of mirtazapine. Waking up with pounding heart and a sense of urgency. Going from 15 to 7.5 is a 50 % drop and will cause some bad reactions. The adrenaline/cortisol wakings gets better with time. I still wake up a lot, but no longer in fight/flight mode.

What are your doctor doing changing around with your drugs like this? It takes about seven, 7, days for a dose change of mirtazapine to get stable in your blood stream. And after that many days/weeks for your body and mind to stabilize on the new dose. So, if you are committed to stay on 7.5 mg you need to stay there for a month before you will know how the drug dosage change will affect you.

Tapering 10% per month would possibly minimize the adrenaline awakening thing and other wd:s.

• Administrator

Those are symptoms from too-fast reduction of mirtazapine.

At least now you know the PGAD symptoms are adverse effects of the drug.

See http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/988-recommended-doctors-therapists-or-clinics/

Dr. Rob Purssey will advise anyone in Australia.