SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Riksen, 2010 Serotonin and Fluoxetine Receptors Expressed in Enamel Organs

Punarbhava

Eur J Oral Sci. 2010 Dec;118(6):566-73. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0722.2010.00778.x. Epub 2010 Sep 30.

Serotonin and fluoxetine receptors are expressed in enamel organs and LS8 cells and modulate gene expression in LS8 cells.

Riksen EA, Stunes AK, Kalvik A, Gustafsson BI, Snead ML, Syversen U, Lyngstadaas SP, Reseland JE.

Department of Biomaterials, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Oslo, Oslo, Norway.

Abstract

The selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitor (SSRI) fluoxetine is widely used in the treatment of depression in children and fertile women, but its effect on developing tissues has been sparsely investigated. The aim of this study was to investigate if enamel organs and ameloblast-derived cells express serotonin receptors that are affected by peripherally circulating serotonin or fluoxetine. Using RT-PCR and western blot analysis we found that enamel organs from 3-d-old mice and ameloblast-like cells (LS8 cells) express functional serotonin receptors, the rate-limiting enzyme in serotonin synthesis (Thp1), as well as the serotonin transporter (5HTT), indicating that enamel organs and ameloblasts are able to respond to serotonin and regulate serotonin availability.

Fluoxetine and serotonin enhanced the alkaline phosphatase activity in the cell culture medium from cultured LS8 cells, whereas the expression of enamelin (Enam), amelogenin (Amel), and matrix metalloproteinase-20 (MMP-20) were all significantly down-regulated. The secretion of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF), monocyte chemotactic protein 1 (MCP-1), and interferon-inducible protein 10 (IP-10) was also reduced compared with controls.

In conclusion, enamel organs and ameloblast-like cells express functional serotonin receptors. Reduced transcription of enamel proteins and secretion of vascular factors may indicate possible adverse effects of fluoxetine on amelogenesis.

© 2010 Eur J Oral Sci.

PMID: 21083617 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

To Face My Trials with "The Grace of a Woman Rather Than the Grief of a Child". (quote section by Veronica A. Shoffstall)

Be Not Afraid of Growing Slowly. Be Afraid of Only Standing Still.

(Chinese Proverb)

I Create and Build Empowerment Within Each Time I Choose to Face A Fear, Sit with it and Ask Myself, "What Do I Need to Learn?"

Wow. Great find, PB. This is very validating.

1996-97 - Paxil x 9 months, tapered, suffered 8 months withdrawal but didn't know it was withdrawal, so...

1998-2001 - Zoloft, tapered, again unwittingly went into withdrawal, so...

2002-03 - Paxil x 20 months, developed severe headaches, so...

Sep 03 - May 05 - Paxil taper took 20 months, severe physical, moderate psychological symptoms

Sep 03 - Jun 05 - took Prozac to help with Paxil taper - not recommended

Jul 05 to date - post-taper, severe psychological, moderate physical symptoms, improving very slowly

Wow. Great find, PB. This is very validating.

Glad you found it validating!

Pun

To Face My Trials with "The Grace of a Woman Rather Than the Grief of a Child". (quote section by Veronica A. Shoffstall)

Be Not Afraid of Growing Slowly. Be Afraid of Only Standing Still.

(Chinese Proverb)

I Create and Build Empowerment Within Each Time I Choose to Face A Fear, Sit with it and Ask Myself, "What Do I Need to Learn?"

• Altostrata changed the title to Riksen, 2010 Serotonin and Fluoxetine Receptors Expressed in Enamel Organs

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy