gerryaustria -- off MDMA, trying metformin for brain repair

gerryaustria

Hello,

This is my first post, my name is Gerry, 22 years old from Austria, Europe.

I have similar issues like some of you (no libido, no arousal, etc.) but not directly from prescripted antidepressants, but a drug called MDMA which is the active agent of ecstasy, ( I abused it for approximately half a year) ….. I’m off for 2 years now.

It has the same effect like a SSRI, so I think I am right in this forum.

I looked up for things that repair neurons and brain cells in the brain or build new ones.

And I found METFORMIN.

Metformin is one of the few substances that triggers neurogenesis and therefore repairs damaged and grows new braincells.

Here is a link:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/07/120705172044.htm

Here is another one:http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/wfpfeatured/diabetes-drug-triggers-neuron-growth-potential-to-regenerate-brain-cells-study-161446395.html?device=mobile&utm_source=wfp&utm_medium=nextArticleDirect&utm_campaign=/wfpfeatured

(When you google: “metformin brain repair” you will found a lot of this reports, which give me a lot of new hope)

Metformin is a diabetes-type-2 drug… You will probably think, is it safe to take a diabetes drug for a non-diabetic?

I think so, because Metformin is mild and you can't fall into hypo glycaemia (too low blood sugar) which could be dangerous.

More information about Metformin and its side effects here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metformin

This drug is also used from people to lose weight, it has anticancerogenic effects  and has life-extending abilities.

I will give Metformin a try, with the lowest dose at 500mg per day. (dosage reaches from 500 mg to 2000 mg)

Yesterday I did one and today I did one, no side effects so far.

So what do you think about this? Could Metformin possibly help us?

Dr. Phelps talks about Metformin in relation to mental health here http://www.psycheducation.org/hormones/Insulin/metformin.htm

long time ago I was too afraid of medications and tried metformin instead, for depression. didn't help me at that time.

right now I think greater brain repair could be done with good, vitamine-rich diet, such as paleo diet for example.

in 2002- 0,5 tablet cipramil for half a year, ended it uneventfully. in 2006 - citalopram for half a year, ended in horrific state, ditched the drugs CT. 2007-2008 not feeling well but drug free. in 2008 prozac 20mg + quetiapine 25mg. 2009 tried to stop, ended up in hole after couple of months, started zoloft. 2009-2011 zoloft 50mg. went to 25mg in 2011 summer, it resulted in half a year horrible suffering. reinstated, changed drugs, nothing happened. by 2012 beginning suddenly felt great and CT meds. after 4 months came suddenly most horrible human suffering that's possible. was started on prozac and questiapine. started tapering slowly, GFCF diet and Hardy Nutritionals vitamins in 2013 summer. 

current medications: 1) fluoxetine and quetiapine since Aug 2012; 2) Daily Essential Nutrients by Hardy Nutritionals 7 capsules / since May 2013 + omega3; 3) Gluten-free-casein-free diet since june 2013

Started withdrawing slowly since april 2013. Mostly around 10% cuts. 

April'13 - March'14: fluoxetine 40mg -> 19,5mg; quetiapine 50mg -> 40mg
April'14-March'15: fluoxetine 19,5mg -> 14,4mg; quetiapine 40mg -> 22mg

April'15-March'16: fluoxetine 14,4mg -> 7,4mg; quetiapine 22mg -> 15mg

April'16-March'17: fluoxetine 7,4mg -> 5,0mg; quetiapine 15mg -> 7,25mg

April'17-March'18: fluoxetine 5,0mg -> 4,0mg; quetiapine 7,25mg -> 0 (as of 1st Feb 2018)!!!!

April´18-March´19: fluoxetine 4,0mg - > 2,3mg. Jumped off fluoxetine 1,4mg due to pregnancy in July 2019. Oct 2019 severe withdrawal syndrome started.

Took mistakenly a complex for hormonal support that included pregnenolone dec2019-april2020. Stopped it april 2020 and immediately severe akathisia started. Have had life threatening akathisia since, 100% disabled, suicidal, very hard to hold on. 

• Administrator

Welcome, gerryaustria.

I've moved your topic to the Intro forum to act as your introduction. You can update this topic to record your progress.

MDMA is a serotonergic. Adverse effects can be similar to those of serotonergic psychiatric drugs.

See our discussion of metformin here http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/5248-metformin-as-a-psychiatric-treatment/?hl=metformin

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.