JackalSmacker Through the woods?

JackalSmacker

• Administrator

That's exactly the effect I used to feel from fish oil.

Good to hear that consistency and fish oil are helping.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JackalSmacker

• Altostrata

• Rhiannon

• btdt

Top Posters In This Topic

Well this just sucks. Haven't had a decent night's sleep in about a week due to anxiety and dread. I wake up every few hours feeling like I've been gut-punched and when it's time to actually get out of bed it's nearly impossible. Just plain hell; you guys know what it's like. The hardest part is not knowing if this is something transitory or if this is how I'm going to feel indefinitely. I'm very tempted at this point to just go back to 50 mg and stay there for the rest of my life. Anything is better than this.

Started zoloft 100 mg in 2001

Went off cold turkey in 2005, reinstated several months later

Reduced to 75 mg on Nov. 9, 2013

Reduced to 50 mg on Jan. 1, 2014

Reduced to 25 mg zoloft + 10 mg prozac on April 29, 2014

Reduced to 12.5 mg zoloft + 10 mg prozac on May 6, 2014

Reduced to 10 mg prozac on May 14, 2014

Went to 5 mg prozac + 12.5 mg zoloft on Nov. 10, 2014

Went to 25 mg zoloft on Nov. 17, 2014

Went to 50 mg zoloft on Jan. 8, 2015

Oh, and to answer your question about fish oil, it seemed to be helping pretty well and then the bottom just fell out. I don't think it's due to the oil though, as I'm not taking all that much and have missed a day here and there.

This anxiety is crazy. I just got my doc to phone in a prescription for diazepam so maybe that'll throw a little water on this brain fire.

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm very tempted at this point to just go back to 50 mg and stay there for the rest of my life. Anything is better than this.

I think we all have that thought sometimes. For me though the problem is that I know, from history, that I'm now so sensitive to any psych med, that the meds won't fix me, I'll just end up worse off. From your history I would be concerned the same might happen to you (you have not responded all that well to going onto and then back off the Prozac, and the 25 mg Zoloft doesn't seem to have helped much either).

So please, whatever you do, be cautious, make only small changes at a time.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• Moderator Emeritus

This anxiety is crazy. I just got my doc to phone in a prescription for diazepam so maybe that'll throw a little water on this brain fire.

Same advice with this: small changes. Try a half tablet, try the smallest dose you can manage, rather than going full out. Just see if a small dose will help before you get hooked on a high dose of benzo (benzos are also hell to come off and it doesn't take long to get dependent on them, just a week or two will do it).

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

Thank you for the input, Rhi. I have taken valium several times over the years and have a good understanding of how it works and the possible pitfall of addiction. I just want something to take the edge off for at least one night so I can get some sleep. Also today is my birthday and I've got a dinner party to go to this evening and don't want to spend the entire time out of my mind with panic! As for going back up on the zoloft I probably won't - just said that out of fear and frustration. Now if this waking nightmare continues for some time I might actually consider dosing back up a bit and see how I feel.

So sorry you feel like this..I also felt like that this week..omg..I have to updose! But waited it out..so so hard though.

All the best to you. Hope things settle.

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

Thanks, Joannad. I think you and I are both kind of in the same terrifying boat. How are you feeling today?

I'm ok thanks for today at least anyway. So feel for people with this anxiety terror though urgh.

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Do you all think that the anxiety will quiet down eventually? It's only barely present right now because I'm taking valium, but I can feel it lurking underneath the benzo, just waiting to break through once I stop. Anyone else have the panic set in only to subside a while later? I'm just scared that the crippling anxiety will be my baseline from now on unless I updose.

• 3 weeks later...

JS, checking in here! I know I'm going to be at least moderately chastised but wanted to not only document my "progress" but also perhaps garner some advice. So following my last post I actually did updose to 50 mg zoloft on Jan. 9. I know, I know: it was a big jump and I once again messed with my dosage impulsively when I should have done it very gradually. I was actually feeling pretty good, taking 5 mg valium here and there, until Jan. 26 when I started feeling really strange. Now, for the past two nights, I've had around three hours of sleep. I go to bed at 10 and then I'm up at 1 for the rest of the night. I get all the bad insomnia symptoms: anxiety; severe akathisia, to where I'm actually running in place and pacing laps around my living room; and nausea. These symptoms have actually been persisting even during the past two days, just not as badly. So here's my question: Could this be a delayed reaction to the updose in zoloft, a withdrawal from the short time I was taking valium, or possibly both? I only took, in total, 30 of the 5 mg valium in a two-week period so that seems like too short a time for addiction/withdrawal to set in. The funny thing is that I was sleeping pretty well during the first two weeks of the updose, maybe because of the valium, so I had a refill called in yesterday hoping it would help me sleep last night but if anything it was worse than the previous night. It also seems like any unwanted side effects from the updose would have subsided by two weeks, so I'm at a loss here. Once again, I know I probably screwed up, but I'm just looking for an outside perspective and some advice on how I should proceed from here.

I was going to drop back to just 25 mg today and see where that gets me, as the zoloft (I think?) really seems to be revving me up. Or maybe it's the valium, somehow? I don't know but what I do know is that I feel terrible right now, like I need to both throw up and run a mile.

• Administrator

JS, I feel for you, I truly do, but you keep on switching up your drugs and I can't even guess what's going on.

You need to keep notes of your daily symptom pattern on paper, with when you take your drugs and their dosages.

Go here to discuss benzos.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Thank you, Alto. I know it must be tedious dealing with someone like me and I really appreciate the advice and concern. I have already started a drug log and will post in there each day. I feel like I've really, really screwed myself over here with my impatience and impulsiveness. Had I just slowly, slowly tapered from when I first got on this site I might have been drug-free at this point. So ******* frustrating. Instead I'm now stuck with a potential benzo addiction (albeit light) and I'm basically right back at square one! I know it's hard to make heads or tales of this, but do you think dropping back to 25 mg would be a good move?

• Administrator

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know but I'm just terrified of another night of this horror! I literally could not keep still for the entire night and I'm leaving work early today just so I can go walk or run bleachers or anything to alleviate this awful feeling of having to constantly move. I suspect the zoloft might be contributing because I broke my doses up yesterday. After taking my 25 at noon I felt decent until around 8 when I took the second dose. That's when things got really interesting. I'm not trying to be contrary; just trying to get some sleep and preserve my sanity.

Many people find zoloft activating so I cannot figure out why you thought it would help you to sleep?

The whole point of this is to pick a dose and stay with it, period. Every time you up or downdose or add another drug into the mix you undo any stabilization your system could be trying to make.

At this point your best bet is to pick a dose, any dose and stick with it for a long time, maybe several months. Period. And resist any inclination to change no matter whether you sleep or not. You have to stop all the changes.

Of course, Alto told you that already, right?

I lived through months of little sleep. Till it came back. Had no help from drugs, only magnesium. If something woke me prematurely then that was it for the night. That's just how it was.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

Of course she did! Did I listen? No! And now I'm losing my freaking mind! At this point it feels like I'm not going to be able to sleep until sometime next week. Just hoping that dailing back the z might (might!) help until I can get maybe 4 or so hours of sleep.

Just hoping that dailing back the z

and there it is again, changing the dose. Your system cannot stabilize when you do that. Maybe you should read your thread back from the beginning. That always helps to get some perspective.

Stop changing the dose.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

I just don't see how skipping a half-dose for one night would make that much of a difference, especially since I'm trying to figure out if it is contributing to this debilitating akathisia. This is a manic dysphoria the likes of which I have never, ever experienced.

I just don't see how skipping a half-dose for one night would make that much of a difference

You don't but we do and you just cannot see it or trust that we are right.

I'll turn you back over to Alto now.

• Moderator Emeritus

JS-

I'm just going to chime in with Alto and CW and tell you to pick a dose and stay on it. I recently updosed, and I'm pretty sure in my desperation for relief I reinstated more of the prozac than I needed to. I spent some time feeling over activated but did eventually stabilized. I think the key is maintaining dose stability for awhile. You're going to feel some destabilization anytime you change your dose. The more often you change the more often you'll destabilize. Once you're stable you'll be able tell more clearly the difference between what is a withdrawal symptom, what is destabilization as a result of dose change, and what is a side effect of the drug itself.

I know you want someone to give you permission to drop your dose down, but because of the unpredictability of the effect of up dosing or down dosing I don't think people are comfortable commenting on what's would be better for you. I'm not that familiar with Zoloft but I will say that 25 to 50 sounds like a large jump up so that you may be suffering side effects of Zoloft seems like a good possibility. Mount to then to take that large jump back down to 25mg??? I wish I knew enough to offer advice. I think I'll suggest what Petunia has suggested sometimes: read through your thread and see where you've been and what advice has been offered you previously.

1988-2012: Prozac @ 60mg (with a few stops and starts)

Fall 2012: Returned to 40mg after discontinuing and horrid withdrawal 

Fall 2013: 40mg Fluoxetine, added 150mg Wellbutrin to treat fatigue 

Winter 2014: Attempting to taper both (too fast)

April 2014: 9mg Fluoxetine + 37.5 Wellbutrin 

Summer 2014: 8 mg Fluoxetine + 0 Wellbutrin (way too fast a drop)

Late summer/Early Fall 2014: Debilitating Withdrawal symptoms 

Fall 2014 - Wellbutrin successfully kicked to the curb but…

Oct- Dec 2014: Panicked reinstatement of Fluoxetine ->30mg - held for 5yrs

Jan 2021: taper to 20mg Fluoxetine  then tapering by 1mg every 2-3 months

Fall 2022 - held at 10mg->December 2022: 9mg->Feb 2023: 8mg ->March 2023: brassmonkey slide begins: 7.8mg -> 7.6 -> 7.4->2 week hold (April)->7.2->7mg->6.8->2 week hold->6.6-> 1-month hold ->(June)-6.5->4-week hold-> (July)-6.4 (discontinued brassmonkey slide and slowed taper)-> (Aug)-6.2->(Sept)-6.0->(Oct)-5.9->(Nov)-5.8->(Dec)-5.7->wave!->(Jan)-5.8->(Feb)-6mg and holding.

My 2014 withdrawal experience: https://rxisk.org/antidepressant-withdrawal-a-prozac-story/

• Moderator Emeritus

I just don't see how skipping a half-dose for one night would make that much of a difference, especially since I'm trying to figure out if it is contributing to this debilitating akathisia. This is a manic dysphoria the likes of which I have never, ever experienced.

Jackel... I'm stable, but if I skipped a half dose for even one night, my WD Sx would start to go 'bananas'.

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Wow that sounds rough. I hope you feel better soon!

I think it's the zoloft contributing to the akathisia rather than the other things. I had this a lot at nights when going back on it. But it passed after about a week.

I appreciate everyone's concern and input. I actually slept last night with only about 25% of the akathisia and anxiety. Still really out of it and a bit shell shocked today, but I am just happy to have rested. I am going to keep my dosage where it is and just work on slowly dropping the benzo from here on out. I know what you mean, Joannad, but I thought it was really, really weird for the akathisia to have hit almost three weeks out. Weird, if that was indeed the case.

I have just finished reading your thread from the beginning and I found quite a few surprises, not just in changing the doses and drugs but in relation to the supplements that were mentioned that could have helped you adjust to symptoms. You consistently underdosed on the omega 3 by taking formulations that were weak and it appears that the experiment with 'niacin flushing' around the full moon last Oct. was ill advised. I cannot find anywhere that you consistently took a good quality highly bioavailable magnesium supplement. If you were doing intense exercise at the time all the drug changes were going on that might have had that as a contributing factor.

You seemed to do well until Sept. 2014 but appeared to get impatient that you were 'not well yet' and hinted at wanting to change dosages and drugs again. That would have been the one year mark for getting off zoloft and its discontinuation might have been starting to come to the fore even as you were dosing with prozac. I think you had in the back of your mind you could just go back to taking 50mg zoloft for the rest of your life and everything would be fine. That might very well be so but it will only happen after a very extended period of nothing BUT 50 mg zoloft, maybe many months or years for this to happen and this does not take into account getting anxious and changing the doses again. Or it losing its 'effectiveness' (at keeping wd symptoms at bay) or a myriad of other factors.

To get off the merry go round of drugs a slow and measured taper of no more than 10% of the current dose every 4 to 6 weeks is the only thing we can recommend, along with taking a good quality omega 3 (see this post for recommended amounts to shoot for) and a good bioavailable form of magnesium (they are not created equal). See our topic on magnesium for this.The prozac switch might have worked but it is my opinion (and mine only) that you did not do it optimally and it does not always work anyway.

You have to keep a log of daily symptom patterns and rest any and all attempts to manipulate drugs dosages and supplements to counteract 'things'. IMHO this is the only way you will be able to untangle this seeming mess.

I won't butt in any more, I think you have enough information and experience to figure out what to do.

Wow, that was really awesome of you to go back over my history like that and offer that summation, cybaltawithdrawal5600 (not the breeziest handle on this site!). I agree that my worst trait is obsessively researching things and rushing to find the quickest fix to get "me" back and not just sitting back and letting things unfold as they will. I read some random snippet about a study saying that high doses of curcumin cures depression and the next thing I'm doing is researching the best brand to buy on Amazon. Then I take it for a week or so, feel no real difference, then it's on to the next supplement. You should see my medicine cabinet! I currently take magnesium taurate by Cardiovascular Research, which I understand is a very good form; Max DHA by Jarrow, two gels a day; and a wholefood vitamin by Mega Food. Does this sound like a good regimen?

• Administrator

js, I feel I have no choice but to be brutally honest here.

So far, my responses to your questions have been a complete, utter waste of my time.

Given the history, I feel if I say anything at all here, it's going to be another pointless round of answering questions from you about whether you should go up or down or try another drug.

And now, at this late date, you're going to keep a log of your symptom pattern? Now, when indications of whether 50mg Zoloft are going to be obscured by your benzo use?

All bets continue to be off. If 50mg Zoloft made you feel better, continue to take it. If it made you feel worse, reduce it.

Now I'm officially going to sign off from answering your questions. Sorry, but I have to take care of my own sanity.

Fair is fair, Alto. I appreciate your candor and can't blame you in the least. You've been nothing but patient, helpful and resourceful up until this point. I won't lie though, stings a bit to be cut off like this but, like I said, fair is fair. I suppose I won't come here with questions about drugs or supplements anymore but I probably will pop in from time to time to give a status update. After a year on this forum I've grown fond of the members and posting here is a kind of outlet for me, since it's tough to talk about this stuff with people who aren't going through this.

• Administrator

Other people may converse with you here, but I hope you understand, I'm going to take a pass. Good luck.

I understand completely. Same to you. But before you go, just one last question........I kid, I kid! Take care, Alto. You're doing a saint's work here.

• Moderator Emeritus

I am going to keep my dosage where it is and just work on slowly dropping the benzo from here on out.

Hi Jackal, please would you add the benzo use to your signature. Dose, how often etc.  Are you still taking it?  Are you still getting akathisia?

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• 2 weeks later...

No, I no longer get the akathisia and I'm no longer taking benzos. After my meltdown it seemed that any amount of setraline made the insomnia/akathisia/nausea really bad so I just went without it for several days to get some sleep. The withdrawal got almost intolerable, however, so I went back to 5mg of prozac and have been there since Feb. 2. I don't feel terrible but I certainly don't feel great. Looks like I'll be in this situation for the foreseeable future.