Meimeiquest

Ketogenic Diet

ghm2018

Hi Meimeiquest...I saw this thread and I'm curious.  I experienced an adverse reaction to fluoxetine in January and am still suffering from multiple issues.  My primary care recommended a "reset" through clean-eating and suggested a modified keto diet.  

Are you aware of any member who has had success with the ketogenic diet?

Thank you,

ghm2018

bubbles

I have done keto and am planning to go back to it. It does require careful planning, but it wasn't that difficult - it's real food and the food is tasty. There are low carb friendly dietitians if you want some help. The hardest thing was social - birthday cakes etc.

There's lots of information online. Check out: https://www.dietdoctor.com/ He's a medical doctor, if I recall correctly. Lots of free info and recipes.

I felt well on it. You've inspired me! Back to it!

TikkiTikki

I've been doing it for a while and I have to say I feel much clearer in my mind. i wouldn't have listed brain fog as a symptom of mine before, but my mental clarity and focus and interest in the world has certainly increased. Early days though – could be due to other factors.

The keto diet excludes sugar and grains, and it could be the absence of either of those, rather than the state of ketosis per se, that is causing the change.

Also, just to caution that I have fairly mild withdrawal symptoms, largely emotional, so the diet could have adverse effects for those experiencing more varied symptoms.

ghm2018

TikkiTikki- Thank you for commenting. I’m glad that your withdrawal symptoms are fairly mild. I am one of the unfortunate members who merely took three doses in January of this year and have been suffering consequences ever since. Prior to the three doses, I had been placed on a seizure medication that I did not need. I had an adverse reaction to it in mid-December of 2017, which caused unexplained anxiety, mild depression among other physical issues.  My primary care then suggested fluoxetine (prozac), which I didn’t want to take, but at the encouragment of friends and family, I tried it. After the first dose, I knew immediately that something didn’t seem right. Sorry for the lengthy response. Just needed to express that, again. 

I tried the keto diet in June, but sudden changes to my diet and environment seem to cause issues for me. I am on a modified keto/paleo diet, if you will.  Basically, I limit sugar & grains and caffiene, but I do cheat from time to time and have a little dessert. 

Best wishes to you as you continue your journey of healing. 

ghm2018

Bubbles - sorry that I didn’t reply sooner. I hope you’re doing wellsnd thst the keto diet is working for you. 

-ghm