SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

EternalOptimist: 17 days on generic remeron, want off

EternalOptimist

HI Everyone:

Been quite awhile since I've been here.  I was put on lyrica and cymbalta Jan. 2018 and a month ago I tapered off lyrica and doing okish.  

I've intense deep itching and have rashes and scabs all over the body...it's quite a nuisance battling the scratching  every waking minute.

I'm wondering if this is withdrawal sx from lyrica or sideaffect of taking cymbalta?  anyone know? 

doc doesn't think it's either but we know differently.  :)

Thank you.

1989-2004 low doze Xanax nightly.

2004 w/d in hospital c/t with 3 other meds, (trazadone, phenobarbital, risperdal)

Tapered off those meds in 7 months.

2010- bad anxiety so tried Valium and klonopin, back to hospital, came home on nothing, got much better.

12-23-2013- hospital for anxiety, depression,insomnia...used low dose lamictal 12 days with mitrazapine.

Came home on 15 mg mitrazapine, down to c. 10 mg mitrazapine in c. 3weeks, 7.5 mg in 32 days..

Tapered off mitrazapine March 6, 2014.

Took .75 mg April 20 and 1.05 mg April 21st.

Ended taper March 6, 2014.

Take supplements tho not all daily: fish oil, Vit. C., Vit. D, cal/mag, little multi, mag at night,

Been taking homeopathic remedy since June, 2014 via a Homeopathic M.D. (Trained in psychiatry)1-12, 2018 put on 60 mg cymbalta; 150 lyrica for anxiety and 50 mg trazadone. Tapered of trazadone after 3 months on it and tapered off of lyrica in about 9 months. As of March, 2019, only on 60 mg cymbalta.

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• EternalOptimist

• tgirl

• Meimeiquest

• wulfgar

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

Here's your Intro thread.

When did this itching start? Have you added any other drugs, such as an antibiotic? How much of everything are you taking now, and at what times of day? Is the iching worse at any time of day?

Please note I changed your screen name because the typo was driving me nuts.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Altostrata changed the title to EternalOptimist: 17 days on generic remeron, want off

Lol, thanks for fixing my screen name...always bugged me too. :)

Best as I can recall the itching started when I got to a lower dose of Lyrica, 3 Or 4 months ago. Worse since I've been off. I'm on 60 mg of Cymbalta once a day, at night. The itching seems worse in the evening.  No other drugs or supplements. Hope you are doing well. Thanks Altostrata.

2004 w/d in hospital c/t with 3 other meds, (trazadone, phenobarbital, risperdal)

2010- bad anxiety so tried Valium and klonopin, back to hospital, came home on nothing, got much better.

12-23-2013- hospital for anxiety, depression,insomnia...used low dose lamictal 12 days with mitrazapine.

Came home on 15 mg mitrazapine, down to c. 10 mg mitrazapine in c. 3weeks, 7.5 mg in 32 days..

Take supplements tho not all daily: fish oil, Vit. C., Vit. D, cal/mag, little multi, mag at night,

Been taking homeopathic remedy since June, 2014 via a Homeopathic M.D. (Trained in psychiatry)1-12, 2018 put on 60 mg cymbalta; 150 lyrica for anxiety and 50 mg trazadone. Tapered of trazadone after 3 months on it and tapered off of lyrica in about 9 months. As of March, 2019, only on 60 mg cymbalta.

• 7 months later...

Titled:  I'm back after long absence.

Hi, I'm back.  I had another stress/anxiety breakdown and went to hospital and put on lyrica and cymbalta Jan. 2018.  Had best 1 1/2 years since c/t xanax in 2004.  Tapered off lyrica well c. 7 months ago and made the first taper at 2.5% off 60 mg cymbalta and it's almost 6 weeks and it's reminding me of benzo w/d again.  At 71, I'm wondering if can do another years long taper and become homebound again.  Hate being on these drugs but it's been 15 years since this all began.  The head pressure headaches have always been my nemesis and it's back intensely again from one taper.  This makes it difficult to go out or function well.  My family and friends got to enjoy me before I started a taper off Cymbalta.  I fear being on a drug long term but need some quality of life.  I also wonder if I went back to the original 60 mg dose, if it would help and maybe taper even slower. Any feedback would be welcomed. Thank you.

Edited by manymoretodays
added title

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi EternalOptimist,

@EternalOptimist

Got you all merged up with your main introduction here.

How much Cymbalta are you taking now?  What dosage?  Cymbalta comes in beads, or the mini tablets. 

Tips for tapering off Cymbalta

How did you manage a 2.5% taper?   I come up with a 2.5% reduction from 60 mg, is 58 or 59 mg. (58.5 mg)

Any other drugs or supplements?

About reinstating and stabilizing

applies to updosing as well

If it were me, I might just go back up to the 60 mg dose.  Maybe you began tapering again too soon.  I think I saw another taper, off Lyrica, done 7 months ago?

Love, peace, healing, and growth,

manymoretodays(mmt)

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• 7 months later...

Hi All:  

Been awhile since I've been here. I started a slow taper from duloxetine by the counting method and it's not going smoothly due to the varied differences of beads in each capsule. How do others here manage their taper from this medication?  Thank you. EO

• Administrator

@EternalOptimist what has been your tapering method and schedule? What symptoms are you feeling now?

Please stop tapering for the time being.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Been on duloxetine/Cymbalta since Jan 2018 and started taper Feb. 29, 2020.  Doing counting method.  February 29 this year I counted the number of beads in three capsules and averaged them out equaling 231 beads. Then I took a percentage of that average and have been doing it every two weeks till now,  taking 2.5% off the last count. I got down to 212 beads and up until the last week, when I started a renewed prescription, I was removing about a dozen beads  to get to 212 and now I'm removing one bead to get to 212.The number of beads per capsule has lowered significantly.   Each capsule is 60 mg so if I remove one bead from a capsule  versus 12 beads from a capsule how am I taking a consistent dose? Help ! Thank you. 😊

• Administrator

I have no idea how many beads there are in your current capsules. But if you're getting withdrawal symptoms, stop reducing, let your nervous system settle down.

What are your symptoms now?

Not sure Altostrata, hard to say.  Weary, achy, exhausted, weak, head pressure is moderate, not tortured like xanax w/d.

Have had a lot of visual auras lately and pains in limbs I've never had before but am now 72.  

Hope you are doing well.

Ciao