SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

strawberry17: Hi from strawberry17

strawberry17

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi

I'm new here, just found this site, I have been on antidepressants since 1998 when I had post natal depression, since then I struggled many times to get off Lustral (Sertraline), my doctor always told me to come off by the alternate day method, then every third day and so on, each time, over and over I would relapse into depression and acute anxiety and conclude that I was defective and couldn't manage without the drugs, I hated the side effects on my libido and the effect on my sex life, I knew deep down something was wrong and I didn't need to be stuck on Lustral, long story short I stumbled on a book by Dr Joseph Glenmullen which explained about slow withdrawal and tapering and suddenly it all made sense, I switched to liquid prozac and began a long slow taper off it, I am now down to 1.60mls. It's been going very well this way if excrutiatingly slow, my libido is back to normal, I keep a blog of my progress http://prozacwithdrawal.blogspot.com/ mainly so I can see for myself how I'm doing.

strawberry :)

Edited by Altostrata
added poster's name to Intro topic heading

*** Please note this is not medical advice,discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner***

http://prozacwithdrawal.blogspot.com/
Original drug was sertraline/Zoloft, switched to Prozac in 2007.
Tapering from 5mls liquid prozac since Feb 2008, got down to 0.85ml 23/09/2012, reinstated back to 1ml(4mg) 07/11/2012, didn't appear to work, upped to 1.05ml 17/11/2012, back down to 1ml 12/12/2012 didn't work, up to 1.30ml 16/3/2013 didn't work, bumped up to 2ml (8mg) 4/4/2013 didn't work, in July 2013 I reinstated Sertraline (Zoloft) 50mg, feeling better now. 

A few months down the line I switched to 5ml liquid Prozac and tapered down to a compromise dose of 3ml liquid Prozac and have stayed there ever since, no withdrawals and no emotional blunting/loss of libido.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• strawberry17

• Altostrata

• peggy

• xDebbiejo

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

Hello, strawberry. It's good to hear your taper is going well.

How long have you been tapering? What kinds of symptoms did you have along the way?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi

I've been tapering from liquid prozac 5mls, now down to 1.60mls, since feb 2008. It's been going remarkably well, so well I'm in a state of disbelief about it as I lost count of the number of times I tried and failed to come off antidepressants since 1999, each time by the old alternate day method, each time I would relapse into acute sadness/depression/anxiety and come to the conclusion that there must be something wrong with me, I fell for the old chemical imbalance in the brain story and thought I needed lustral like a diabetic needs insulin, except, deep down I knew there was something wrong and this wasn't true, luckily I have a very supportive husband and after stumbling on a book about tapering by Joseph Glenmullen, it all fell into place and I knew what I had to do. It's an excrutiatingly slow process but it's working for me. My doctors still don't get it. :angry:

*** Please note this is not medical advice,discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner***

Tapering from 5mls liquid prozac since Feb 2008, got down to 0.85ml 23/09/2012, reinstated back to 1ml(4mg) 07/11/2012, didn't appear to work, upped to 1.05ml 17/11/2012, back down to 1ml 12/12/2012 didn't work, up to 1.30ml 16/3/2013 didn't work, bumped up to 2ml (8mg) 4/4/2013 didn't work, in July 2013 I reinstated Sertraline (Zoloft) 50mg, feeling better now. 

A few months down the line I switched to 5ml liquid Prozac and tapered down to a compromise dose of 3ml liquid Prozac and have stayed there ever since, no withdrawals and no emotional blunting/loss of libido.

• Administrator

No, they don't get it, but you're doing a brilliant job of unpatienting yourself.

We'd love to hear more from you in the Tapering forum, if you have any tips or advice.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, I will go and have a look around there this evening! I think the main thing for me has been the slower the better.

• Administrator

strawberry, allow me ask you a personal question -- is that a watermelon I see in your avatar?

Hi, welcome Strawberry

Great to hear you are doing a slow taper and that it is going so well. ^_^

I also felt I just did not need to be stuck on the drugs for the rest of my life, good luck with the rest of your taper.

I came off Seroxat in August 2005 after a 4 month taper. I was initially prescibed a benzo for several months and then Prozac for 5 years and after that, Seroxat for 3 years and 9 months.

"It's like in the great stories Mr.Frodo, the ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were, and sometimes you didn't want to know the end because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end it's only a passing thing this shadow, even darkness must pass. A new day will come, and when the sun shines it'll shine out the clearer."  Samwise Gamgee, Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Strawberry,

Welcome to the site. I am also a slow taperer...Actually a stopped taperer at the moment.

nice to have you with us.

1989 - 1992 Parnate* 

1992-1998 Paxil - pooped out*, oxazapam, inderal

1998 - 2005 Celexa - pooped out* klonopin, oxazapam, inderal

*don't remember doses

2005 -2007   Cymbalta 60 mg oxazapam, inderal, klonopin

Started taper in 2007:

CT klonopin, oxazapam, inderal (beta blocker) - 2007

Cymbalta 60mg to 30mg 2007 -2010

July 2010 - March 2018 on hiatus due to worsening w/d symptoms, which abated and finally disappeared. Then I stalled for about 5 years because I didn't want to deal with W/D.

March 2018 - May 2018 switch from 30mg Cymbalta to 20mg Celexa 

19 mg Celexa October 7, 2018

18 mg Celexa November 5, 2018

17 mg Celexa  December 2, 2019

16 mg Celexa January 6, 2018 

15 mg Celexa March 7, 2019

14 mg Celexa April 24, 2019

13 mg Celexa June 28, 2019

12.8 mg Celexa November 10, 2019

12.4 Celexa August 31, 2020

12.2 Celexa December 28, 2020

12 mg Celexa March 2021

11 mg  Celexa February 2023

• Moderator Emeritus

Not a personal question at all, yes that is a watermelon, it was one of the avatar choices on here.

Thanks for all the welcomes!

• Administrator

Do you like this one? strawberry.png

Welcome, strawberry! What a great thing that you figured out the truth about these drugs and how to get off of them! Many people are finding that the excruciatingly slow taper actually gets them onto the next, drug-free part of their lives faster. Your blog looks great! :)

1996-97 - Paxil x 9 months, tapered, suffered 8 months withdrawal but didn't know it was withdrawal, so...

1998-2001 - Zoloft, tapered, again unwittingly went into withdrawal, so...

2002-03 - Paxil x 20 months, developed severe headaches, so...

Sep 03 - May 05 - Paxil taper took 20 months, severe physical, moderate psychological symptoms

Sep 03 - Jun 05 - took Prozac to help with Paxil taper - not recommended

Jul 05 to date - post-taper, severe psychological, moderate physical symptoms, improving very slowly

• Moderator Emeritus

I liked the strawberry so much I had to have it for myself :)

Hi Healing, it took me about 10 years to find the truth through lots of googling and research, thing was, I always felt deep down that something was up, and couldn't believe that I was dependent on them the rest of my life, even my husband had bought into the myth that I needed prozac like a diabetic needs insulin because I must have a chemical imbalance in my brain, eventually he too realised when I pointed him in the direction of a few bits of information and he spoke to a very sympathetic pharmacist. That was something else we found out, pharmacists often seem to know more about antideppressants than doctors.

Good for you for listening to that deep down feeling you had. I think it would make for a fascinating survey to list all the ways that people come to the realization. And also, in retrospect, the inklings they had long before.

1996-97 - Paxil x 9 months, tapered, suffered 8 months withdrawal but didn't know it was withdrawal, so...

1998-2001 - Zoloft, tapered, again unwittingly went into withdrawal, so...

2002-03 - Paxil x 20 months, developed severe headaches, so...

Sep 03 - May 05 - Paxil taper took 20 months, severe physical, moderate psychological symptoms

Sep 03 - Jun 05 - took Prozac to help with Paxil taper - not recommended

Jul 05 to date - post-taper, severe psychological, moderate physical symptoms, improving very slowly

• 5 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

ADMIN NOTE The Prozac Switch or Tapering with Prozac topic has moved here.

I was on Lustral (Zoloft) which also has a short half life and was very sensitive to withdrawal, long story short, I did however find I was able to switch to liquid Prozac which has a long half life and taper excrutiatingly slowly from that, I was even sensitive to going too fast on Prozac to start with and the first time had to go back to square one and start again, slower. This might be worth thinking about? I don't know if anyone else here has any thoughts on switching to Prozac?

Edited by Altostrata
Added admin note

I was just thinking about switching from Paxil to Prozac too Strawberry. I would like to hear if anyone has had experience with it. Did you find the symptoms more bearable than before?

Taper from Cymbalta, Paxil, Prozac & Antipsychotics finished June 2012.

Xanax 5% Taper - (8/12 - .5 mg) - (9/12 - .45) - (10/12 - .43) - (11/12 - .41) - (12/12 - .38)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

• Moderator Emeritus

I have read that some experts recommend switching to Prozac (David Healy I think?) and I've heard other says it's a no no. I got to a point where there was nothing I could do to reduce the Lustral without severe withdrawals, it was only available in tablet and not liquid form (I'm in the UK) at the time, so I felt I had nothing to lose by trying the switch, I had in the past switched from Lustral to Citalopran and back to Lustral with no problems. Luckily I had no problems with switching from one SSRI to another at all, I did have a problem withdrawing, but switching to liquid Prozac was definately the answer for me. Tapering off liquid Prozac has been far far better and virtually problem free, although excrutiatingly slow, 4/5 years all in to get off, I've managed to get down from 5ml to 1.40ml so far.

Hmm. Thank you Strawberry. I looked on the internet about Prozac withdrawals and it doesn't seem as severe as Paxil and other short half life drugs. I don't see as many complaining like we do. I went ahead and left a message for my doctor to switch me to Prozac. Hopefully she'll just do it without calling me and asking me why. I just told the receptionist I'm having trouble with Paxil. If she doesn't call it in, then I'll ask the new doctor. I just didn't want to bombard him with several big problems in one visit if I don't have to.

Taper from Cymbalta, Paxil, Prozac & Antipsychotics finished June 2012.

Xanax 5% Taper - (8/12 - .5 mg) - (9/12 - .45) - (10/12 - .43) - (11/12 - .41) - (12/12 - .38)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

• Moderator Emeritus

Make sure you get liquid Prozac, equal dose to the med you are taking now. Don't make any reductions when you get it, take the Prozac for a month or so to make sure you're ok with the switch before considering the taper!

• Moderator Emeritus

Just had a look at your web site, it's really good, very clear. I also have a web site/blog (see below)about my Prozac withdrawal, you might find some useful info there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

strawberry, how are you doing now? It sounds like your tapering is going well.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi

Thanks for asking! Yes it is still going extraordinarily well (hope I'm not tempting fate)and I believe the secret to my current sucess is the sheer slowness of my taper, it also gives you time to get used to the "real you" emerging as the SSRI slowly retreats. I think for most people the temptation is to rush to get off as fast as you can and try and tough out the withdrawals hoping they will go in time...trouble is they just don't, at least not for me anyway. I've learned to be the tortoise and not the hare and to play the long game. I also hope that people stumble on my blog (I know they do) and realise it CAN be done!!

I replied to your comment on my blog by the way and I am about to post about akithisia (did I spell that right?

strawberry

Akathisia. ;)

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks (makes mental note to spell it correctly on blog post :rolleyes: )

• Administrator

Please put a link here when you post that! People are keenly interested in akathisia. So many suffer from it in withdrawal.

• Moderator Emeritus

On here? or is there an akathisia section on here?

• Administrator

• Moderator Emeritus

OK yes I found them.

• Moderator Emeritus

OK here is my post about my experience of akathisia, will put it on the akathisia thread as well, hope I did the link correctly.

My experience of akathisia

Just in case I didn't LOL

Summer 1994, coming back from a gathering of mums and babies, post natal NCT support group, in reality the group wasn’t very supportive, there was rather a lot of competitive mumdom going on, other babies seemed to be sleeping through contentedly, learning the alphabet, names put down for private school already, ok I’m exaggerating a bit.

The mum I was getting a lift home with, our two babies in their seats in the back, I had more of an affinity with, our babies were not so easy and we didn’t pretend otherwise, and neither of us was finding new motherhood a breeze, and we both had money worries. In hindsight I know I was depressed and living with my emotions very raw and close to the surface but for me this was a very closely guarded secret but I think the other Mum sensed it. She was more open about her feelings, at least to me anyway, on that drive home she suddenly let rip, it all came tumbling out, how depressed she felt, her resentment towards the other Mums in the group, the medication she was on, how life was a constant uphill battle managing the baby, her dog, her husband, anxiety about going back to work and the sleepless nights, and the medication she was on. She told me that she often had thoughts when she was driving of just ramming her car into a lorry or car in front deliberately to escape her life.

December 2003 and Feb 2007

5am and for about the 3rd night in a row I’ve barely slept a wink, I can’t stop the adrenaline pumping round my body, my stomach is tightly knotted, I’ve barely been able to eat properly it makes me feel sick. I’m clammy, sweating and crying and P is trying to reassure me, but he has to go to work. I get up and drag myself through all the motions of the day and making sure boys get to school, I feel like the living dead, I make sure they get fed and make sure they and no one else is aware of what’s going on, I don’t hang around at the school gates. Oh I do kind of tell a few people I’m not really feeling right but I play it down. The constant adrenaline is tormenting me on the inside and I can’t stop it. It’s been building up over a period of months and I’ve been fighting and fighting the feelings but it seems to have reached a peak of exquisite torture. It’s like being at the top of a roller coaster that never stops. Someone else mentioned birdsong, and it was a funny thing, the torture was worse in the mornings and over the summer months while it was slowly building, birdsong in the morning outside the window had become a kind of torture as well. I had to go to work only 2 days a week and God only knows how I managed it. I had taken my last Lustral tablet months ago, and come off it as per the doctors instructions, and now my depression/anxiety was back tenfold to punish me for daring to presume I could stop taking it. I must be wired up totally wrong, no one else feels like this do they? What is wrong with me? Maybe I really am insane, maybe I just can’t cope with life without my tablets, how come everyone else can cope with life, and I can’t? There must be something fundamentally wrong with me. By now the Orwell Bridge was beginning to look a bit attractive and I just wanted to escape the adrenaline surges torturing me, my nerves were in shreds.

Broken, exhausted and shaken I reluctantly started taking the Lustral again and gradually started to feel more “normal”. Obviously there was something wrong with me and I needed Lustral to help me function. How come though I hadn’t needed Lustral to function before 1998?

Nowadays my withdrawals are almost but not quite non existent, the tsunami that is akathisia has long since washed away leaving me just a bit more nervy and more vulnerable to stress, much calmer but aware that adrenaline is always not far from the surface, and still trying to hide it and not always succeeding.

I’ve just finished reading Ann Blake Tracey’s book “Prozac Panacea or Pandora?”, I’ve heard the word akathisia in relation to antidepressants in recent years but I had never been quite sure what it was or that it applied to me. This book included loads and loads of anecdotes from people and information about akathisia and I actually felt emotional reading it, there was a name for it and I never knew at the time and I’m absolutely certain my doctor didn’t know either.

• 6 months later...

Hi Strawberry,

Just wondering whether you get your liquid fluoxetine on the NHS or private?

e

Currently withdrawing from fluoxetine after a switch from sertraline.
04/12-12/12 5.0-0.9 ml
30/01/13 - 0.88 ml     29/08/13 - 0.72 ml     21/11/13 - 0.66 ml     16/04/14 - 0.63 ml     29/03/15 - 0.58 ml
22/02/13 - 0.86 ml     12/08/13 - 0.74 ml     04/12/13 - 0.64 ml     21/11/14 - 0.62 ml     08/05/15 - 0.57 ml
14/05/13 - 0.84 ml     25/09/13 - 0.72 ml     19/12/13 - 0.62 ml     26/12/14 - 0.61 ml     23/05/15 - 0.56 ml

11/06/13 - 0.80 ml     13/10/13 - 0.70 ml     31/12/13 - 0.63 ml     23/01/15 - 0.60 ml

06/07/13 - 0.76 ml     07/11/13 - 0.68 ml     06/01/14 - 0.64 ml     08/03/15 - 0.59 ml

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Electron, I've been lucky in that my surgery have been very good about letting me have liquid Prozac on NHS, so I just pay normal prescription for a bottle. Are you having a problem? I have heard some surgeries have refused which I think is just not on.

Hi strawberry

Have only just read your history, had a quick look at your blog which I will be reading more of.

Congratulations with your taper :). absolutely brilliant to hear of your success after the suffering youve gone through!!

I was put on seroxat 1996 for post-natal depression, tried to come off many a time with uninformed GP instructions

Then I tapered with the liquid to fast, thought I was dying.

I am now stable on 5ml/10mg and will soon begin my taper as I had to take a short course of diazepam I will have to finish my taper on those first, I'm on 1 mg per day.

I have not changed my meds at all so I have been advised to stick with the seroxat taper.

I would like to follow your process, I expect you have recorded it somewhere but I have not found it as yet.

So happy for you :)

Debbie x

17 years on seroxat/paxil CT off - thought I was dying luckily found this site. 21st May 2012 12mg seroxat

Stable - Tapered Diazepam slowish.1st June 10mg Seroxat

2nd June 1mg Diazepam.15th June 9mg seroxat

2nd July Changed to 2.5[ml liquid diazepam]2mg=5ml. 16th July 2ml Liquid Diazepam

2nd August 8mg/4ml Seroxat/Paxil 2nd August 1.5 ml Diazepam

18th Aug 2012 1ml Diazepam 1st - 5th Sept 0.5

Diazepam Free!

13th Oct 7mg/3.5ml seroxat - 26 Jan 2013 3.25ml/6.5mg-Mar 3ml-April 2.7ml-May 2.5ml

01/07/14 very slow taper over the last year now on 0.5 ml of liquid Seroxat ......November 14 Seroat Free!!!!!!!

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Debbie, thank you for your lovley message! it's great to hear from someone else in the UK as well! Sounds like we have similarish stories with being put on SSRI for PND. I am now down to dead on 1ml liquid Prozac, hoping to go 0.90ml next week. All my progress is recorded on my blog and I have a timeline, my blog is my diary of my progress so I can look back and see how it's all gone. I also have a facebook page where I share my progress/blog posts and other things of interest, if you are on FB would be great to see you but I understand that a lot of people don't like the exposure of FB. The links are all in my signature below.

I have been getting mine on the NHS but they've just decided to stop prescribing it to me so I've gone with a private doctor now.

Currently withdrawing from fluoxetine after a switch from sertraline.
04/12-12/12 5.0-0.9 ml
30/01/13 - 0.88 ml     29/08/13 - 0.72 ml     21/11/13 - 0.66 ml     16/04/14 - 0.63 ml     29/03/15 - 0.58 ml
22/02/13 - 0.86 ml     12/08/13 - 0.74 ml     04/12/13 - 0.64 ml     21/11/14 - 0.62 ml     08/05/15 - 0.57 ml
14/05/13 - 0.84 ml     25/09/13 - 0.72 ml     19/12/13 - 0.62 ml     26/12/14 - 0.61 ml     23/05/15 - 0.56 ml

11/06/13 - 0.80 ml     13/10/13 - 0.70 ml     31/12/13 - 0.63 ml     23/01/15 - 0.60 ml

06/07/13 - 0.76 ml     07/11/13 - 0.68 ml     06/01/14 - 0.64 ml     08/03/15 - 0.59 ml

Thanks for your prompt reply Strawberry :)

I will be looking at your blog and Facebook page when I get home as on mobile at mo at can't see links.

I will be following the your very slow taper and hope to experience minimal WD symptoms -

You've done so well and I admire your patience!

I guess it's the only way to go and have a life at the same time :)

Debbie x

17 years on seroxat/paxil CT off - thought I was dying luckily found this site. 21st May 2012 12mg seroxat

2nd July Changed to 2.5[ml liquid diazepam]2mg=5ml. 16th July 2ml Liquid Diazepam

Diazepam Free!

13th Oct 7mg/3.5ml seroxat - 26 Jan 2013 3.25ml/6.5mg-Mar 3ml-April 2.7ml-May 2.5ml

01/07/14 very slow taper over the last year now on 0.5 ml of liquid Seroxat ......November 14 Seroat Free!!!!!!!

Surely this can't be right electron?

Why did that say you can't have it on NHS any longer?

Debbie x

Diazepam Free!

• Moderator Emeritus

How come I can get it on NHS and you can't Electron? something wrong there? might be worth checking with a pharmacist, sometimes they are a lot more knowledgable than doctors. It might be that your doctor is refusing it because it's more expensive? but in the long run if you get off it you won't be going back for repeat scripts of tablets the rest of your life.

Debbie the slowness has two big advantages, if you can be disciplined to do it, the first one is that slowly you get used to the "real you" emerging from beneath the numbness of the drug, and you can learn to deal with the real you and any mental health ishoos you might still have.

The second thing is that you can carry on your life as normal pretty much, I always soldiered on anyway as that's just the way I am, but go too fast the withdrawals can be so debiliating it impacts on your whole life. This way I can still hold down a job and by a good mum etc hope that makes sense.