SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

GABA (gamma-aminobutyric acid) tablets, capsules, liquid

cmusic

Has anyone heard of or tried Pharmagaba?  Supposedly its naturally produced and has the ability to cross the blood-brain barrier and promote relaxation.  I'm wondering if it would be helpful for someone in acute physical panic all day.  Of course I'm also wondering whether it would impede healing from antidepressant / benzo withdrawal or cause dependence..

Started on Zoloft in 2002
Switched to Lexapro in 2005
Switched to Prozac in 2008
Off Prozac abruptly in 2010 (a mistake) - crashed
Lexapro end of 2010 - didn't work
Effexor until 2012 - roller coaster from hell
Back to Prozac November 2012 - one last rise and fall
Quit Prozac 01/13

Reinstated Prozac 5mg 05/13
Trial of 7.5 Remeron for one month 06/13, then off

Off Lamictal 06/13

Quit benzos 06/13

Reduced to 4mg Prozac 8/15/13

• Administrator

GABA supplements notoriously do NOT cross the blood-brain barrier.

I do not see anything in the product description promising that PharmaGABA will cross the blood-brain barrier http://www.thorne.com/Products/Mood-Sleep-Support/All_Mood_Sleep_Support/prd~SP652.jsp

GABA supplements can affect muscles, etc. outside of the brain. From http://www.bioclinicnaturals.com/us/en/articles/4/conditions-and-diseases/8/stress-management/show/103/pharmagaba-natural-support-for-stress-anxiety-and-insomnia

Once ingested, it appears that the PharmaGABA is absorbed easily and binds to GABA receptors in the peripheral nervous system....

The following is not entirely honest and I am disappointed in Michael Murray, who authored it:

The difference in safety is probably a result of a limited capacity of the brain to retain excessive amounts of GABA as there is a very efficient efflux of GABA across the blood-brain barrier.11 The transport of GABA into the CNS is limited and the efflux of GABA out of the brain is one of the primary routes of elimination of GABA. As a result, it is highly unlikely that oral PharmaGABA supplementation at recommended dosages would produce any significant [adverse] effect....

The above is true of the GABA your body makes on its own. Note that Dr. Murray does not specifically say that PharmaGABA crosses the blood-brain barrier, only implies it in a very cagily worded statement.

Edited by Petu
fixed text

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 3 months later...
  • Administrator

I've been looking for something that can help close that sleep gap in the middle of the night. Lately, I've been having success with GABA tablets taken with magnesium glycinate.

I take about 187.5mg GABA with 133mg mag glycinate when I wake up in the middle of the night. (I have large 750mg GABA tablets, which I've cut into quarters, and 133mg mag glycinate capsules.)

This seems to often send me back to snoozeville in about a half-hour, a smooth, gentle sleep, with little hangover.

When I took a larger amount of GABA, it was relaxing but it didn't help me to sleep, I felt relaxed and sedated but brain still busy. Not good.

Without the magnesium glycinate, taking GABA didn't help me sleep. Magnesium and GABA work synergistically, according to this footnoted article on GABA by a naturopath http://www.denvernaturopathic.com/news/GABA.html

Supposedly GABA supplements don't cross the blood-brain barrier (the GABA molecule is too large; the brain makes its own GABA) but they can relax the body and nervous system outside of the nervous system. Functionally, the blood-brain debate is moot, however it works, it does seem to work.

Wikipedia on GABA http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamma-Aminobutyric_acid

An interesting 2011 paper (PDF) by an orthomolecular researcher here http://www.phyllisbronsonphd.com/Graphics/BronsonGABA.pdf

For many years I have been involved in biochemical research of GABA, looking at its elemental structure as well as its permeability across the blood/brain barrier. While it is clear that GABA is helpful for the treatment of anxiety, the current laboratory evidence is insufficient to confirm the uptake and absorption of GABA into the brain, as it appears to act on the central nervous system directly without crossing the blood/brain barrier. A “new” form of GABA [PharmaGABA], produced from Lactobacillus hilgardii, is being marketed as the only form of GABA that crosses the blood/brain barrier. Having studied the molecule for years, I submit that GABA is not a typical left-right rotatory molecule, but rather is part of a macromolecular complex whose biochemical functions are independent of rotation. Because this new form of GABA is no different from pharmaceutical grade GABA in its molecular structure and mechanism of action, it is illogical to contend that it crosses the blood/brain barrier. Additionally, growing GABA from a culture is dangerous because of the potential for bacterial contamination.

This orthomolecular researcher has her patients make a suspension of GABA powder (from capsules) in water; it can be titrated as a liquid.

From http://www.livestrong.com/article/175782-gaba-supplement-side-effects/

side effects of GABA can be a mild tingling sensation and alteration in heart rate and breathing patterns.

From my experience, I'd guess too much would give a paradoxical result -- activation rather than relaxation. As will all supplements, start with a very low amount to see how it effects you.

I don't know how taking supplemental GABA will affect you if you have benzodiazepine withdrawal symptoms. If your nervous system has been sensitized by benzo withdrawal any time in the past, I suggest being very cautious with supplemental GABA.

Edited by Altostrata
updated

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

a few doctors/naturopath have mentioned GABA to me and have noted that while it supposedly doesnt cross the blood brain barrier, most of us have permeable blood brain barriers due to common inflammation... so the issue becomes moot for most of us.  

I actually have some pharmaGABA sitting in my cabinet that I forgot about... and have been having serious insomnia again.  Maybe I'll try it out!

2003-2010 up and down 10-40mg celexa for anxiety
2/2011 10mg
8/2011 5mg for 3 wks, then stopped completely.
middle of night waking after apx 1-2 hours of sleep (nightly), panic/jitteriness after waking
11/11 back on 30mg celexa, ambien/many supplements-insomnia/panic.
2/12 30mg celexa, many supplements (Magnesium eliminated morning tight chest/jitteriness). Off ambien!
7/12 20mg
8/12 15 mg(sleep improving,mood pos)
12/12 2.3 mg got liquid celexa!
1/13 2.1 mg
3/13 1.2 mg
4/13 down to .6 too quickly- cortisol spikes, middle of night waking, night sweats...
4/13 held at .6 for 3 weeks so far. Off most supplements as well. Withdrawal depression almost gone!

7/13 OFF OF CELEXA!!!

• Administrator

Try a small amount to begin with, a large amount can have a paradoxical reaction.

Want to note: Taking GABA as above often works for me but not always.

• 4 weeks later...

Alto, yes - the benzo sites warn against taking GABA in the case of benzo w/d or sensitization...glad you mentioned that. Wish I knew something I could take for those middle of the night awakenings, though. Thanks!

Took A/Ds between 1988-1992 & '92-2011
2011 tapered off Cymbalta 20mg. 
2013 tapered off Seroquel (sleep) 12.5-25mg after 9 yrs. 
2013 tapered off prn Xanax 0.25-0.5mg while reducing Seroquel.
PRN/sporadic use of Xanax x 13+ years. MD said take "as needed" or taper off 4-6 wks and stop. What a joke.
Reinstated Xanax 0.25-.5mg for sleep after a month benzo-free due to sleep deprivation. Continued PRN. 
Currently: 0.5mg at 11 pm, 0.125mg at 7am & 3 pm (0.75mg total)

Niacin is doing amazing things for me right now (tapering lots of "brakes"). Right now I am taking 100mg at bedtime, 25mg with any daytime symptoms. I am using the slow-release beads.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

yes...those who've been on benzos should be extra careful with GABA...and it's true it's our brain permeability that makes GABA work (or cause problems)...some naturopaths use a "GABA test" to see if the blood brain barrier is intact or not...if the GABA makes one woozy they know there is an issue. 

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

The naturopath at MTHFR.net wrote that niacin helps GABA cross the blood-brain barrier. I don't know. But today I do not care one whit if I am addicted to niacin for life.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

56 years old

• 8 months later...

Are there any natural remedies to boost GABA in the brain? I have read that GABA as a supplement doesn't help much. Only a small portion - if any at all - crosses the blood-brain barrier (not that I put much stock in the blood-brain barrier anyway... I believe almost anything could potentially cross, but that's my own opinion on that matter). My problem lies in the rare instance I do take a benzodiazepine, I feel so "normal" that it isn't even funny. People can be "low in GABA" due to poor assimilation or other reasons. I just don't know what one could do to naturally fix this. I finally found a protein powder supplement that could help, since it has the amino acids necessary to manufacture GABA in the body and to reach the brain. I take plenty of vitamins and supplements that are co-factors in GABA assimilation (I believe B6 and zinc are cofactors - please don't quote me on this). Is there ANYTHING on the market that can help? GABA deficiency can really make your life miserable. :( 

Thanks

Jason

Zoloft: 2002 - sometime 2003 CT
Celexa: 2004 - 2007 20 mg
Effexor XR: 2007 - 2009 300 mg!!!
Effexor XR: 2010 - 2011 tapered down to 18.75 mg, hard time with interdose withdrawal
Prozac: 2011 5 mg till October, then got more depressed tried to updose to 10mg for three days and I became suicidal and very ill
tapered to 2 mg then stopped Feb 20, 2012. Restarting Celexa 10mg March 2017 due to rough patch in my life (anxiety and depression).

Link to my intro page here

Also : was addicted to Klonopin 2004 - 2008, tapered in 2008. Still have on hand for panic, but rarely used.

Suspected mold infection living in moldy room 2012.

Supplements I take: Multi, probiotic, wild Alaskan salmon oil, C, D3, methylB12, niacinamide, whey protein isolate

I take GABA...I have read that it doesn't cross the BBB, but that it indirectly supports GABA in the brain by reducing the need for it peripherally. I have also read that taurine is a building block of GABA. For whatever it's worth, I take inositol every night to support sleep, and taurine and GABA when needed for calming. It may bite me someday, but I think they do help me. And yes, I have heard the same for zinc and B6. I have also heard that if you have too much copper, it will pull too much GABA into norepinephrine, as copper is a co-factor for the conversion. But, really, it's all so complex it is hard to say. I just know those three substances help me.

56 years old

I take GABA...I have read that it doesn't cross the BBB, but that it indirectly supports GABA in the brain by reducing the need for it peripherally. I have also read that taurine is a building block of GABA. For whatever it's worth, I take inositol every night to support sleep, and taurine and GABA when needed for calming. It may bite me someday, but I think they do help me. And yes, I have heard the same for zinc and B6. I have also heard that if you have too much copper, it will pull too much GABA into norepinephrine, as copper is a co-factor for the conversion. But, really, it's all so complex it is hard to say. I just know those three substances help me.

lol - all these chemical rules to have to sort out!

What exactly is inositol? I've only ever seen it referenced with regards to niacin (there is niacin, which causes a flush, niacinamide, which causes no flush and more readily helps stabilize the brain and nervous system (I take this kind as it helps me), and then inositol - which I have no idea what it is... ). I also don't know what taurine is. And again, I have my doubts that GABA alone can't cross the blood-brain barrier. I really don't believe in the BBB too much. Anything can cross it! To say this doesn't and this does is putting an awful lot of faith in it. The BBB isn't an impermeable fortress so to believe something can and cannot cross is... wow, quite a  lot of faith in my opinion.

Copper is nasty. I believe I had very high copper due to zinc deficiency. Taking zinc everyday has helped lower copper levels. I used to wreak of metal. For the record, I to make sure to buy zinc supplements with small amounts of copper in it, so as to not cause the opposite effect. Not enough copper is dangerous. But we are exposed to copper enough that this is rarely a problem, especially if you supplement enough if you do take zinc.

So I still don't know what can boost GABA. Amino acids are supposed to help along with the zinc/B6 cofactors (I take B6 as P5P).

What supplements do you take regularly, may I ask, Meimeiquest? Also, what do you mean when you say "it may bite me someday"?

Effexor XR: 2010 - 2011 tapered down to 18.75 mg, hard time with interdose withdrawal
Prozac: 2011 5 mg till October, then got more depressed tried to updose to 10mg for three days and I became suicidal and very ill
tapered to 2 mg then stopped Feb 20, 2012. Restarting Celexa 10mg March 2017 due to rough patch in my life (anxiety and depression).

Also : was addicted to Klonopin 2004 - 2008, tapered in 2008. Still have on hand for panic, but rarely used.

Supplements I take: Multi, probiotic, wild Alaskan salmon oil, C, D3, methylB12, niacinamide, whey protein isolate

• Administrator

Except for a couple of very rare genetic disorders http://www.orpha.net/consor/cgi-bin/OC_Exp.php?lng=en&Expert=2066, there is no such thing as a GABA deficiency. If you feel better after taking a benzo, it's because the drug is shutting down excitatory processes, not addressing a GABA deficiency.

Also see GABA (gamma-aminobutyric acid) tablets, capsules, liquid

So how do you naturally calm the over-excited nervous system? How does one know there can't be a "GABA deficiency"? I'm not saying I don't believe you. I honestly don't know what to believe about anything anout my body or body chemistry in general anymore. I just want to know why you say it doesn't exist aside from a couple rare cases. :-(

• Administrator

There is no way to measure any neurotransmitter level within a normal brain or nervous system. The "chemical imbalance" theory blaming so-called mental disorders on various neurotransmitter theories is invalid.

Many of the topics in the Symptoms and Self-care forum deal with calming the nervous system, as excessive stimulation is the root of may withdrawal symptoms. Look around the forum, please.

• 3 months later...

I think people that have jerking ,myoclonus and panic attacks should try it

I used some complex which has gaba and it helps a lot  .I don`t have pure gaba here in my country but i know that the gaba is helping me because it is inhibitory and  will help muscle and nerve relaxation 

please try it and report .

I found that site which talk about supplements to increase gaba.I do not promote the site but I think what it proposes is scientifically sound . If you want to increase gaba indirectly you might try the herbs that it proposes

http://www.vitalityandwellness.com.au/health-blog/low-gaba-levels-increase-gaba-naturally

''I''took paxil for 30 days (did`nt felt  a lot of side effects when ''I'' stopped it)

after two weeks I developed the worst headache I ever felt (some sort of permanent migraine, tinnitus..).

after a month of headaches a decided to take another pill to see.I took a pill because i was thinking that it  was may be withdrawal and it caused me a what my doctor called `some thing like serotonin syndrome`` which never improved and caused me severe muscle problems...

in retrospect I know that it was not a serotonin syndrome , my receptor were very stimulated and reacted in weird ways

• Moderator Emeritus

There is some question as to whether supplemental GABA crosses the blood-brain barrier. It has been noted that theanine, the good stuff found in tea, helps GABA cross. I took a GABA/Theanine blend during benzo withdrawal. I don't think it made anything worse, but found no huge improvement while using it.

Hang in there.

Dave

1996 - .5mg Ativan as needed, 7.5mg Remeron daily2008 - .5mg Xanax, Ativan discontinued, Remeron continued2012 - .5mg Xanax, .25mg Ativan 3x daily, Remeron continued2/2012 - Jumped from Remeron, continued .5mg Xanax .25mg Ativan 3x daily4/2012 - Began rapid taper of .5mg Xanax .25mg Ativan 3x daily6/2012 - Jumped from Xanax and Ativan, voluntary hospitalization followed7/2012 - 2nd voluntary hospitalization, reinstated Remeron, bumped to 30mg, also given risperidone.8/2012 - discontinued risperidone, tried gabapentin, dicontinued gabapentin, Remeron 30mg continued10/2012 to current - tapered Remeron 10% every 4 to 6 weeks (sometimes more time) using liquid compound12/2014 - 2mg Remeron 1/16/2015 - 1.9mg Remeron 8/1/2015 -1.6mg Remeron - 03/1/2016 - 1.5mg Remeron - 1/2/2017 1.3mg - 5/7/2017 1.2mg - 5/13/2017 - syringe size change - 6/8/2017 - 1.1mg - 7/10/2017 - 1mg - 9/1/2017 - 0.9mg - 10/22/2017 - 0.8mg - 11/22/2017 - 0.7mg - 2/2/2018 - 0.6mg - 3/13/2018 - new compound pharmacy - 5/20/2018 - 0.5mg - 8/31/2018 - 0.4mg - 11/16/2018 - 0.3mg - 12/24/2018 - 0.2mg - 4/1/2019 - 0.1mg - 5/1/2019 - .05mg - 0mg achieved 2019-06-15. 🤞

have you tried the herb ?

they helped me a lot with my myoclonus 

''I''took paxil for 30 days (did`nt felt  a lot of side effects when ''I'' stopped it)

after two weeks I developed the worst headache I ever felt (some sort of permanent migraine, tinnitus..).

after a month of headaches a decided to take another pill to see.I took a pill because i was thinking that it  was may be withdrawal and it caused me a what my doctor called `some thing like serotonin syndrome`` which never improved and caused me severe muscle problems...

in retrospect I know that it was not a serotonin syndrome , my receptor were very stimulated and reacted in weird ways

lemon verbana (Aloysia triphylla also formerly Lippia citriodora) helps in sleep .it is mild but it helps .it takes some days to help.(this safe with with medication )

there is also valerian,it is very sedating the first days but after some days you adjust  and it helps with sleep but it may takesome days(this is not safe when you are on medication )

• Moderator Emeritus

There is some question as to whether supplemental GABA crosses the blood-brain barrier.

That's what I was going to say, actually, it doesn't. 

But:

GABA supplements can affect the peripheral nervous system, however, as well as any other part of the body not protected by the blood brain barrier.     http://www.med.nyu.edu/content?ChunkIID=222543

GABA was one of the many supplements I tried in early withdrawal.  I think it had a mild placebo effect the first day I tried it, but after that it didn't do anything, it didn't make me any worse though.

Here is our GABA topic:

GABA (gamma-aminobutyric acid) tablets, capsules, liquid

there is also valerian,it is very sedating the first days but after some days you adjust  and it helps with sleep but it may takesome days(this is not safe when you are on medication )

We have a topic on valerian here:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/599-valerian-root/#entry36212

When trying new supplements, please try them one at a time and start with a very small dose.  Any supplement can cause a paradoxical reaction in a nervous system sensitized by withdrawal.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• 3 weeks later...

It was suggested to me to use supplement called Zen in the past

http://www.allergyresearchgroup.com/200-mg-of-Zen-60-Vegetarian-Caps-p-5.html

I wonder what are peoples views on it?

- 12.03.2021- doxepin- 50mg

- 6.11.2020- 75mg

- 16.10.2020- 100mg

- 30.09.2020- doxepin- 125mg

- May 2020, omeprazole 40mg switched to esomeprazole 20mg

- 2012 re-started Doxepin 75mg, evening. Increased to 150mg

- 2012, Atenolol 25mg, twice a day

- 2016, Low dose of HRT in evening, Sandrena and Utrogestan 

- Long term of Nasal spray Otrivine

- 2012, PPI Omeprazole 40mg-evening

24.10.2014- Started ESCITALOPRAM-first 5mg and then 10mg; due to the adverse symptoms reduced on 5.01.2015- Escitalopram- 2.5mg 22.07.2016- re-started reduction by 1% at a time. Completed tappering on  19.03.2020 😇

• 9 months later...

Hello All,

I was asked by Alto to add my GABA experience and questions in this forum.

My Psych doc recommended GABA lozenge for quick relief when I feel a panic attack coming on. I am currently taking GABA Calm which contains:

Mg Chelate 5 mg

GABA 125 mg

Glycine 50 mg

N-Acetyl L-Tyrosine 25 mg

Taurine 20 mg

It definitely works for me to calm down the panic attack, anxiety, and depression psych symptoms. However, it doesn't seem to do anything for the physical symptoms, i.e. restlessness, body shakes, etc.

I am very concerned about the long-term ramifications of using GABA supplements. GABA may provide almost instant relief for me, but at what expense?

The down fall, for better or worse, is occasionally I feel like a need the emotional release like a crying spell just as a means to relieve my frustration and exhaustion. The GABA seems to stop that crying spell response; therefore, I have to find another avenue for relieving the building frustration when I take the GABA. Otherwise, I need to skip the GABA and allow the pysch emotional release to happen. In the emotionally crazy moment, it's hard to tell which response I want or need. I am sure one is healthier than the other, but I don't know which.

2006-2013: Amitriptyline 25mg QD at bedtime.

Oct 2014: Clonazepam 0.5mg at night for sleep. Gabapentin 600mg x2 daily for pain.

Dec 2014: CT Clonazepam & Gabapentin on doctor’s instruction, because it wasn't helping symptoms. Caused severe depression, anxiety, panic attacks. ER due to 3 days of no sleep. ER administered Lorazepam IV.

Dec 2014: Lorazepam - 0.250mg AM,  0.125mg PM, 0.250mg Beftime; Zoloft - 50mg

Feb 15 - March 11, 2015: Tapered Lorazepam at 0.125 mg ever 5 days. Too fast and very difficult.

June 1 - Oct 12, 2015: Tapered Zoloft from 50mg at 12.5 mg every 4 weeks. Last 2 weeks I took 12.5 mg every other day. Then CT'd at 12.5 mg.

Dec 4, 2015: Reinstated Zoloft 12.5 mg.

Nov 2018: 12.5 mg to 6.25 mg. Held for 2 months then CT'd 6.25 mg on Jan 26.

Feb 16, 2019: Reinstated Zoloft 5 mg

Dec 2019: CT Zoloft 5 mg. Did okay until August 2020.

• Administrator

I wouldn't worry about GABA supplements. GABA has a very short half-life with temporary effect.

• 2 years later...

My naturopath recommended Gaba Calm which has the same ingredients that JayUT listed.  Should I be concerned about taking it considering the fact that I have CNS depression along with hypersensitivity?  For example, I do not feel joint or muscle pain.  I was recently in a significant car accident and I only feel pain from it in various places every 4 or 5 days, sometimes up to 10 days.  Any thoughts?

2002 - 2014, 500mg Keppra 2x’s/day (anti-seizure med)

2003 thru 2004 - 10 mg Remeron

2005ish - Adverse reactions to single doses of Zoloft, Wellbutrin, and Lexapro (no long-lasting problems)

2012 - Buspar (overly energized, stopped immediately, no long-lasting problems)

2014 - 1 month taper off of 500mg Keppra (Leviteracitam) - seizure free for 12 years 

2017 - 500mg Leviteracitam (generic keppra) 

2017 - Mid-Dec experienced adverse reaction to Leviteracitam due to different manufacturer. Stopped on Dec 20.

2018 - Jan 1st, 10 mg Fluoxetine (generic prozac) experienced severe adverse reaction after 3 doses and continue to experience issues today. 

2003 - 2018 Ativan, occasionally/rarely

• 9 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus