PharmaNAMI

NAMI , run by the pharmacuitical industry

PharmaNAMI
NAMI, the National Alliance on Mental Illness...

In 2004, NAMI opposed the placement of "black box" warnings on antidepressants determined to cause suicide in under-18 year olds, and in 2006 opposed black box warnings on ADHD drugs causing heart attack, stroke and sudden death in children in 2006. Despite overwhelming evidence of serious adverse cardiac events and sudden deaths caused by ADHD drugs, in 2006 NAMI took the position that the “black box” warning on ADHD drugs was “premature.”

NAMI even lobbies for laws allowing people accused of mental illness to be forced to take psychiatric drugs. The drugs most often prescribed for involuntary patients -- Janssen's Risperdal (risperidone) and Lilly's Zyprexa (olanzapine) -- cause debilitating, indeed, lethal effects. NAMI's failure to inform its constituents about the danger these drugs pose for patients, and its continued aggressive promotion of these drugs despite the evidence, may be viewed as confirmation that NAMI is an extension of the pharmacuitical industry's  marketing department.

It takes a lot of nerve to call NAMI a patients’ advocacy group when half to two-thirds of it's funding comes from companies that are constantly loosing class action lawsuits, federal lawsuits or both for not disclosing adverse findings in clinical trials, lying about known health risks, directly causing death and chemical injury and illegally marketing their most powerful and unpredictable drugs off label even to children. NAMI could hardly be more blatant in aligning their methods with the commercial interests of these companies.

I searched the NAMI site over and over looking for information for people like myself hurt by psychiatric medication, zero results.

NAMI is run with millions in "donations" from the pharmacuitical companies, search for yourself.

http://www.google.com/search?q=NAMI+pharmaceutical+funding

When I was really sick from medication withdrawal my family had read NAMI propaganda and belived I was faking it cause I "lacked insight" and all that other stuff NAMI writes about non compliant patients.

btdt

I think it is fair to say this if one looked into the funding and activities of many supposed heal advocate agencies you would see pharma is the teller at the bank and the clerk at the sales desk selling which ever is the latest patented med for that particular disorder it is common.  I have posted research on a couple of these over the years one being the Arthritis association and expect them to be ready and prepared to chat you up on all the health sites.. or forums this too is common.  Newly dx arthritis patients are meant at the door when they seek information by a pharma rep basically wolf in sheeps clothing as you can be sure they are not telling the truth about all the side effects it is just the way it is today so expect it and do your own research.

NewMe

What is the history of NAMI? From the ground up - who sat on the board etc?

btdt

good question ?

I have no idea I know I did research on other healing advocacy groups before that promote whatever drugs they are told to promote and found the funding came from pharma... posted a few of them the Arthritis society is one I recall but there were and I am sure still are many others... 

UnfoldingSky

What is the history of NAMI? From the ground up - who sat on the board etc?

Someone at Mad in America can probably answer your question.

Morphologie

This is interesting because I tried to go to a NAMI support group the first time I went off psychiatric drugs hoping to get some support and acceptance of that choice and what ended up happening was I felt like everyone was looking at me like I was from outer space when I shared about what I did and what I was going through and the person who addressed me encouraged me to "not give up and try more drugs because there are good drugs and good doctors out there."  No one seemed comfortable with what I was doing and I did not feel like a valued part of the group.  Part of why I ended up going back on drugs and getting damaged by risperdal and zyprexa is because I couldn't find any support for staying off the drugs and I was alone with all this and I got too discouraged.  I'm glad I saw this post because it explains a lot.  Why do I feel like I'm involved in some type of war?  This is how it really feels to me sometimes.  Like there is some type of division happening among people where you either blindly support the medical establishment or you don't.  There is a lot of denial about harm from the medical system and if you get hurt, unless you have a really good aggressive lawyer, you aren't getting any support.  My son was injured by a vaccine and when that happened I felt so abandoned by everyone I knew.  No one wanted to believe me.  They made excuses and wanting to think it was anything but the vaccine.  I hate dealing with this.  Now I understand why my mother and grandmother avoided going to doctors almost completely.