SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

I’ve lost 85 lbs…and I continue to get healthier and healthier http://wp.me/p5nnb-anF

GiaK

I lost 85 lbs the way Chris Kresser describes below. To be clear my body’s needs have changed – I no longer eat strictly paleo, but paleo has taught me so much about my body…and I never made weight loss the motivator…it was always about getting healthy and learning to listen to my body/mind… Chris Kresser has, for a long time, been a wonderful part of teaching me how to do this.

For me learning what my body needs and how I eat has been a continuing evolution. One that is not over. I am not married to any one system, but I can speak to the fact that Chris Kresser and other sources of paleo information was a critical piece for me to becoming healthy again. (see before and after pics here)

Chris talks about the problem with losing weight and keeping it off below:

The problem is that to lose body fat, we need to be in what’s called a “calorie deficit” for an extended period of time. This means that the number of calories entering our body (i.e. what we eat and drink) have to be lower than the calories being used by our body (i.e. general metabolism and physical activity).

Seems simple, right? Just “

Unfortunately, this advice rarely works because the brain has 
for overriding our efforts to lose weight. If you consciously reduce the number of calories you eat, your body responds by lowering your metabolism to match your reduced intake. So as you purposefully eat less calories, your body finds ways to use less calories. All while 
 that raise your appetite and drive you to eat more at every meal to regain the fat you’ve lost.

In other words, it’s extremely difficult to eat fewer calories than your body uses through sheer willpower alone—and this is exactly why calorie-restricted diets fail.

The holy grail of weight loss, then, is an approach that naturally and spontaneously leads to lower calorie intake. In other words, eating less without trying to eat less. Many diets promise this, but there’s only one diet I’ve seen that actually delivers over the long-term: the Paleo diet. (
)

Chris Kresser too has been one of my long-time teachers and consultants. I started following his blog while he was still a student and then I became a patient of his once he started practicing medicine. He’s been a consistent source of vital information and personal support and inspiration. So I’m going to plug him here explicitly today. I am very grateful to Chris Kresser.

He’s now pretty much reached the status of celebrity doctor. He’s been on tour recently promoting his new book, Your Personal Paleo Code. If you’re still struggling to understand your body and it’s particular needs I highly recommend this book and Chris Kresser’s excellent, information laden website as well.

I’ve rarely been explicit about what dietary protocols I’ve followed, because I’ve learned that people are all unique and I’ve seen healing happen in many different ways. Our paths are all different. Still finding others who share what worked for them is an important part of finding our particular path. Chris Kresser is a keen proponent of such a philosophy as well. His books is called a PERSONAL code for a reason. And so he has supported me even as I’ve needed to eat legumes (Oh, no!!) and other not strictly paleo foods due to my very severe histamine intolerance. (by the way, I soak, sprout, and then cook legumes in a pressure cooker, eliminating most all of the issues with them)

For information on how it all came together for me dietarily (and losing weight) here are a few posts to look at:

And here are more that do not discuss weight loss as that is how I learned what I needed to learn…only concentrating on getting healthy:

This is a really great video of a woman (and doctor) who healed her MS this way:

original post here: http://wp.me/p5nnb-anF

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

In my experience some of the paleo diets were too low carb resulting in hypoglycemia bc I have infectious organisms which can steal my fuel for themselves (or this is one explanation for the hypoglycemia). I have done better adding some carb foods, sometimes potato and sweet potato and sometimes some experimentation but mostly I have done poorly with gluten free grains like rice and better with starchy vegetables and roots. Vegetables like potato are not unpaleo according to reasonable sources but there are a lot of very low carb paleo bloggers so I'd be cautious for new paleo dieters.

I think kresser is a very good source of information on diet too.

I try to eat with food ingredients and am over 90% compliant with this but I devote probably 25% of all my energy to getting and preparing foods and not being caught with nothing to eat. I doubt many people have food sensitivities to the degree I currently do so most will not need to expend so much energy on eating.

Changing how I eat has more affect on how I feel than anything else, literally.

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

OMG...I spend most of my time preparing foods...I do have radical sensitivities...I feel like I live in the kitchen and sometimes it makes me feel a bit despairing really...but most of the time I like it...I'm lucky I like to cook.

did you read the post? I eat legumes...I soak them, sprout them and then I cook them in a pressure cooker...that's just one example...

and yes, I eat sweet potatoes...those are pretty standard fare on paleo...I don't eat regular potatoes but that's because they're nightshades...it has nothing to do with paleo or not paleo.

I can't eat grains...none of them and it bums me out. I've tried.

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

and yes...eating well is essential...too many people don't really understand that. 

Gia

I was adding some stuff I thought might be useful for others because paleo can be a confusing word. You know a ton about diet and gut health. I think it'd shock some people who eat a standard diet how much of my life is devoted to food prep and food journal. I try to emphasize this by saying "food affects my symptoms more than everything else' or some variation and say this over and again. I really spend so much of my energy on food that i don't think it's possible to understand this unless you also live it. And I believe actually that you know exactly what I am talking about here. I dont know how many others can really understand. Hopefully most of the people can get most of my gains without being so exacting because I don't see how I can keep up this pace with shopping everyday and washing, peeling, making soup and broth and organix and on and on. It is so exhausting!! But necessary right now!

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

I'm glad to know you're still improving, Gia. Your body is healing from your healthier food intake, yoga, meditation and forgiveness.

I always appreciate any info you post. :)

Unable at this time to correspond by private message.

Link to my Introduction thread: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2477-aria-my-psych-journey/

Reading my psychiatric records: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/5466-drugged-crazy-reading-my-psychiatric-records/

My Success Story is listed under "Aria's Recovery".

thanks to you both...

Alex,

yes, you're right...I'm sure people don't get it...I think about how much women did before the industrial revolution etc...it's ******* hard work...I do take joy in it, however...at least often...

and the more I do it the more I find some short cuts that are working for me as well...but they're in another class entirely from what normal people consider convenient when it comes to food.

And Aria...thank you! 

I'm happy to share...it's been part of my healing too.

It is harder to prepare and cook basic meals from scratch. I prefer to hand cut my veggies instead of using a food processor. It makes it nicer doing it the old fashion way.

Unable at this time to correspond by private message.

Link to my Introduction thread: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2477-aria-my-psych-journey/

Reading my psychiatric records: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/5466-drugged-crazy-reading-my-psychiatric-records/

My Success Story is listed under "Aria's Recovery".

I too appreciate any information you post Gia.  Congratulations on your weight loss.

I am going to buy Kresser's book and see what I can about my nasal issues and hope it helps my pap therapy.  Making one last ditch effort to avoid nasal surgery.

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

Gia, did you feel you had issues with drugs/chemicals being released from your fat as you burned it up?

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

Meimeiquest...

who knows...I was bedridden for two years...with over 50 debilitating symptoms...I lost a significant part of the weight during that time. I can't tease out much of anything in the maelstrom I went through

Well congratulations, whatever happened to those chemicals :)

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

I too enjoy your posts, Gia, very much .

Congratulations on your weight loss ..

Wishing you wellness, peacefullness and serenity always ..

Lexicon

Hello,
I am tapering Lorazepam, and my daily dose is 1.125 mgs.

I followed a long hold for 5 months, ( Nov-March 2019) hoping to find some stability, 

but it did not work. So I resumed my taper and hold pattern.
For the last 3 years, I have been using a daily microtaper, cutting .001mgs per day, with holds as needed.
Symptoms are head pressure, labored breathing, palpitations, abrupt surges of dizziness, this being my worst symptom for now, internal tremors, my latest nemesis, unsteadiness, anxiety, plus many other symptoms that cycle in, and cycle out consistently. Not a day passes, without grief :(

I take no other meds.

January 2013 - 15 day quick taper off 10 mgs of Lexapro, and 25 mgs of Sertraline,

at a detox clinic.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy