SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

azA0: Tapering off Clonopin, Starting Proponolol, Please Help

azA0

Hello,

Sorry for the long post but I am very scared and terrified about my mental health....

I am schitzoaffective and was stable on Zyprexa and Celexa for about 13 years... I then gained so much weight I was forced to switch to Saphris which I stayed on for 2 and a half years. It was the worst medication because I had suicidal ideation and mania/jumpy legs/restlessness... I only stayed on it so I could sleep... about 3 or 4 weeks ago I stopped Saphris cold turkey. I then tried Seroquel in small doses for about 7-10 days. I felt very angry/aggressive on it and was not sleeping. I then went off everything and developed akathesia... I wanted to die and paced around my apartment for hours and walked around the neighborhood for hours... I also had heart palpitations and woke up after 3 hours with racing heart and could not go back to sleep. The first 4 days were the worst... tried diazapam for 3-4 days, then was put on clonopin which helped at first but only for brief periods... I have been on Clonopin (less than 1MG per day) for the last week.

I now asked to be put on proponolol because I have heard it has less side effects than Clonopin. If I have been on Clonopin for a week, would I still have to taper off it? Would it make sense to take both Clonopin and Proponolol in small doses? I am very concerned with the addictive qualities of clonopin and don't want to be on it long term. I also don't know if Proponolol is addictive? I also want to be on as least medication as possible. Can anyone give me any advice whatsoever on what I should do as far as dosage/tapering down? Thank you so much!

you're still in a window of time in which reinstatement with something your body is used to might be a good idea. Your nervous system has been hijacked multiple times lately...

I suggest you reinstate one of your long time meds at a lower dose and try to stabilize and then taper very slowly at that point so you can figure out what the least amount of medication might be for you...

right now your nervous system is being challenged to the max and calming it might save you from further hurting your nervous system...

coming off meds is most ideally done very slowly...it's not something most of us are happy about but it's a fact...nervous systems like changes to be made very slowly. 

Others are likely to have other suggestions too...hang on and please take care of yourself. Your nervous system will heal, but it needs your help.

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

So sorry! I don't think propranolol is addictive, but you will be dependent on whatever you take to get through this hard time, because it will be propping up your nervous system so to speak. I am tapering metoprolol, very similar to propranolol, right now. I take it with a benzo, oxazepam. The longer I work with these drugs, the more I support lowering them together slowly and, while tapering, taking them in frequent small doses to lessen both the side effects and the peak level of drug in your bloodstream. But your job right now is to stabilize, then you can work your way off. Good luck!

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

Thank you very much for the replies... I was already considering reinstating Saphris (it has been 3 or 4 weeks since I have been off it) but it causes mania and suicidal ideation... even at small doses... my mother is against it... I actually threw out a huge supply of Saphris because I was so horrified by the drug and it's side effects... I think I have a refill of Saphris left over from a couple of months ago... do you think 3 or 4 weeks after quitting is not too long to reinstate and then reduce it?

The other option is I can NOT REINSTATE and just stick with proponolol and clonopin... do you think after a few weeks all my symptoms possibly dissapear or decrease slowly on their own?

I am also concerned that my akathesia may be long-lasting (tartive) or persist for a long time... can I develop premanent akathesia from withdrawal of Saphris? Or will this die down in weeks or months unless I reinstate? Thanks again.

triggering mania and suicidal ideation doesn't sound like a good plan...i'm not sure what to tell you. 

if you feel like you're stabilizing somewhat on the klonopin and the proponolol you can see how you do...our bodies are all different so there is no way for anyone to know how it will go for you...eventually symptoms do calm and disappear...but how long that might be varies greatly...and becoming addicted to a benzo is actually a huge gamble...the withdrawal being extremely difficult for some people...that's why i suggested going back on one of your long time drugs...

you might even try the zyprexa with the intention of stabilizing and then coming off of it very slowly...but again...I can't know how you body will respond this time around...and i know the weight gain makes that a choice you'd understandably want to avoid.

I know it's very scary, but if you listen to your body once you've learned what you can from us and wherever else you might be getting info...deeply listen and trust yourself...then do what feels like the right thing...we are all learning to do that when we decide to come off these drugs...

the most important thing to understand right now is that your nervous system has taken a hit and you need to help it calm and stabilize and heal. In the short term that may mean taking the very drugs that caused this...that's what is so hard about being at your point in this journey...it often feels like a catch-22

many of us have made it through however and are healing...

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

Thank you so much for all the help.

While Zyprexa helped me for many years, when I tried to be put back on it about 2 years ago it gave me violent thoughts... I doubt it would have the same effect anymore than when I first took it...

While I have been hearing that reinstating can work if done correctly, haven't there also been cases where reinstating can backfire and make your situation worse?

To update, last night I took Proponolol for the first time, I started with 2.5MG, then woke up a few times in a panic and took another two 2.5MG (so about 7.5MG in 10 hours) When I fonally woke up, I felt like I was overdosing from it, but those symptoms subsided and I now feel great with very little anxiety. I also took Benadryl last night, (does that make sense?) and I actually slept great for the first time in weeks, although I was completely knocked out when I woke up and couldn't get out of bed.

I did not take the Clonopin last night and I am terrified of becoming addicted so not sure if I should start again with Clonopin (hasn't been very effective anyway and made me depressed)

Again, after about 10 days total of taking around 1MG of Clonopin a day, would I still need to taper off Clonopin, or is 10 days not enough time to develop addiction?

I am debating trying Proponolol in small doses and possibly Benadryl... still unsure about reinstating Saphris. Thanks for any help!

yes...reinstatement can backfire sometimes...you're in a window in which it has a higher incident of being okay (3 or 4 weeks with the Saphris) but given it makes you manic etc -- it doesn't sound like something that would help you stabilize in any case and would make the risks involved in reinstatement possibly higher.

the thing with proponolol (I took it a bit when I was withdrawing) is that dependence does develop...and you need more to get the same effect the longer you take it...I took it only PRN and I would take a few days break in between if I used it more than 4 days at a time...and it was always not a pleasant thing but I had to do something at the time...I totally get it in other words!!

10 days could develop a dependency on klonopin, but the fact is you won't really know what is going on since you're also dealing with a cold-turkey withdrawal...any symptoms could be from the Saphris. 

If you do okay with the proponolol and the benadryl and can sleep you can certainly try that...

getting sleep is really important...especially if you have a history of psychosis. 

Thanks, good point about reinstating Saphris, I heard somewhere else that because it caused such horrible thoughts for me, it would just lead to more hell...

The weird thing about Proponolol is I think I actually had a bad reaction to it after taking it the first time... feel nautious today, possibly from proponolol... I don't know if I will try it again tonight, again, I did wake up sweating and shaking 3 hours after taking Proponolol... I then woke up and took more and then was able to sleep finally, but when I woke up, it took hours to get out of bed, I felt like i was in a coma... If I take proponolol again it would only be 2.5mg a night...if every night.

Klonopin I don't think I would ever take more than 0.5mg a day, I tried taking up to 1 MG a day and was wayyy to knocked out from it...

Is it possible that my symptoms are not from Saphris withdrawal exactly but simply a horrible reaction to Seroquel which I took for 10 days after I quit Saphris? Thanks very much,

Jonny

when your nervous system is hit it all starts being like a domino effect...all the drugs impact your nervous system...it's often not really worth figuring out what is what because it's all of it really...the only thing we can do is find that which eases the pain so that healing can start happening. 

both proponolol and klonopin if taken daily will stop having the same effect...so you do need to mindfully watch your intake. 

all the drugs can, once hypersensitivity develops, cause problems as well...so it gets very confusing. It all becomes about balance and paying attention...

it sounds like you have that hypersensitivity that comes from the nervous system having been injured. 

Thank you for the help....

After doing research online... I decided not to take Proponolol... I only took it one night 7.5MG but I remember waking up TWICE soaked in swear feeling like a complete zombie... The point of this is medication was to slow my heart rate, which would supposedly help me sleep, but I woke up twice on it and felt insane... also, had a headache the next day and thought I almost OD's from it (yea even 7.5MG)

I think I will be forced to take Clonopin for at least the bear future, as addictive as it can be and horrible to get off... I guess I will try to take it as needed and NOT on a regular basis... this drug feels too powerful to just take regularly and then I will end up building up more tolerance....

What about Benadryl? Some posters swear by it even for akathesia. Or regularly taking Vitamin B6? I have a bottle just wasn't sure if I wanted to commit to it. Thanks!

• Administrator

Proponolol can have a paradoxical effect. You've described it pretty well.

Yes, some use Benadryl occasionally. Even a half tablet might be enough.

A very small amount of Saphris may be enough to counter any withdrawal symptoms and not trigger adverse reactions.

It sounds to me like you need a doctor who will minimize drugs, see http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/988-recommended-doctors-therapists-or-clinics/

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I actually slept well last night, at least I slept long enough... I slept about 6 hours and woke up with bad anxiety, ate something and took a clonopin and felt better after 45 minutes or an hour, then went back to bed for 3 or 4 hours, woke up with BAD heart palpitations, heart racing so fast, finally I decided to take Proponolol 2.5MG (one quarter pill) I felt much better almost immediately... I also was rested again... so that is positive... the downside is I feel kinda nausious and I think it is from the proponolol. No appetite. I also don't know why I am consistently waking up with anxiety/heart racing....

My mother who has a background in phychology and knows medications was completely against going back on Saphris and tapering down, even my dad was against it and they are convinced it is out of my system... Hard to deal with mania and suicidal thoughts from Saphris... I am also afraid reinstating will trigger my akathesia. Thanks.

• Administrator

You are getting a rebound reaction from the Klonopin when it wears off. That is what the heart symptoms are. The benzos are 2-edged swords.

How much Saphris were you taking?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I was taking 10MG of Saphris per day for about 2 years (5MG twice a day) The last month or so I experimented with 5MG a day to 10 MG a day... then switched to Seroquel for 10 days then stopped everything...

I am also worried that I am becoming addicted to Klonopin after only 11 or 12 days on it... I already feel like I crave it... supposed to help akathesia which has actually gone away...

Is it possible 11 days of 1MG per day of Klonopin caused heart palpitations? If I go off Klonopin can't my akathesia come back?

I already thought of tapering off Klonopin but will be tough... Also not sure about reinstating, thanks.

• Moderator Emeritus

I was taking 10MG of Saphris per day for about 2 years (5MG twice a day) The last month or so I experimented with 5MG a day to 10 MG a day... then switched to Seroquel for 10 days then stopped everything...

I'm not an expert except through my very painful experience but reading what you wrote sets off alarms in me. I haven't heard about Saphris but taking anything for 2 years is quite  along period and it means your brain has for 2 years been learning how to operate with that drug in the equation. Removing the drug, is like removing the carpet from under your feet. 

Experimenting with psychotropic medication for many of us ended in one of most painful experiences of our lives. 

Alto is a treasure. I can't emphasise enough how valuable his advice is.

I hope you make a good decision for yourself. Personally, I would reinstate and then after a few months start with gentle taper. The only regret I have now is that I didn't reinstate sooner.

good luck!

bubble 

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

Alto is indeed a treasure...she is also a woman! 

reinstatement is not without cause for concern here Bubble...if you read the whole thread you'll see that azA0 was having fairly serious adverse affects from the drugs and now with a sensitized nervous system it's anyone's guess what reinstatement might lead to.

still a very small dose of Saphris like Alto suggested would be a good thing to try...it could possibly mitigate withdrawal effects and possibly not trigger the adverse effects...

• Moderator Emeritus

I know Alto is a woman but at first I thought Alto was a man so when I feel messed up as today I go back to my initial assumption ;)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

I thought that Alto is a tiger :blink:

08 Cipralex 10mg for about 6 months. 11-12 Cipralex 20mg. Unsuccesful WD. 12-13 Zoloft 100mg with Diazepam 10-20mg as needed for anxiety.
Fall 13 Tapering Zoloft 100->50->25->12,5->0 in 2,5 months and CT Diazepam. 12/24/13 RI Zoloft 12,5mg

1/21/14 11mg

3/18/14 9,9mg

2/18/14 8mg

4/22/14 7,6mg

5/5/14 7,2mg

5/12/14 -> cutting 0,5mg per week, holding when necessary.

8/18/14 -> cutting 0,25mg per week holding when necessary.

10/20/2014 -> cutting 0,1mg per week, holding when necessary.
12/28/2014 Jump!

• Moderator Emeritus

That's because she has the avatar with what I think is a lion (not a lioness) or is it a tiger? ;)

Thank you for all the help... Update:

While sleeping 2 nights in a row after taking Proponolol, (although feeling doped up and had a bad reaction to it), I only slept 3 hours tonight and felt terrible heart palpitations tonight after waking up... The heart racing went on for hours now... have not been pacing for almost a week or going for long walks so that is a positive... but still have very bad anxiety and shaking...

I took about 1 MG of Klonopin today (0.25 4 times) I don't know if I should be taking them that regularly, taper down Klonopin (afraid of akathesia coming back)

The second night I took Proponolol I took 2.5 MG and while I slept well, I still felt completely drugged the next day and have been nausious since I started taking Proponolol 2 days ago.

I just now took about 0.125MG of Klonopin and 1.25MG of Proponolol... I feel I am taking too much of both because I feel drugged even from these small doses.

I am also barely eating at all and have lost weight so it might be dangerous to take Klonopin and proponolol on an empty stomach? Thank you for any help!

Maybe you need to choose a drug to stabilize on and just stick with it? Do you think you could tolerate a low dose of Saphris?

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

56 years old

Out of the blue, around 6pm, 15 hours of torture, all my symptoms went away... I feel so doped up from Klonopin and Proponolol that I feel like I should not take any tonight if at all possible... I want to try and taper off the Klonopin if I can... or should I take them as needed, like when the symptoms pop up?

icon1.gifKlonopin causing Heart Palpitations

I have been taking Klonopin for about 12 days... 0.75 or 1 MG a day...I took it for akathesia probably from withdrawal to Saphris which I quit cold turkey after 2 and a half years....

Anyway, I just realized I am POSITIVE Klonopin has been causing heart palpitations... I just took 0.25 and heart again started racing IMMEDIATELY... can I stop taking Klonopin cold turkey after 12 days without withdrawal? If I quit Klonopin, will my akathesia come back?

I also have proponolol which I plan on taking instead. Thank you!

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Az,  welcome to SA.  I don't know very much about klonopin, but someone will be along soon

who can help you with that. I think as it is a short time you may be ok to just stop them but I would

rather one of the experts confirm that. When did you quit the saphris? 

I'm sorry you are going through this, we will do everything we can to help. 

Could you put your drugs history in your signature strip for us? It would help us to work out the

best advice for you .

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Moderator Emeritus

I have merged your 2 topics Az, it is one per person in introductions, to keep your  progress in one place and 

save confusion. Alto or Rhi will be along to help shortly.  :)

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Moderator Emeritus
I have been taking Klonopin for about 12 days... 0.75 or 1 MG a day...I took it for akathesia probably from withdrawal to Saphris which I quit cold turkey after 2 and a half years....

Anyway, I just realized I am POSITIVE Klonopin has been causing heart palpitations... I just took 0.25 and heart again started racing IMMEDIATELY... can I stop taking Klonopin cold turkey after 12 days without withdrawal? If I quit Klonopin, will my akathesia come back?

Hi azA0,

Its not a good idea to suddenly stop taking Klonopin if you have been taking it regularly, especially because you are already suffering with withdrawal from Saphris.  When you say it made your heart race immediately, do you mean in 1 minute, 5 minutes?  Clonazepam has an intermediate onset of action, with peak blood levels occurring one to four hours after oral administration.  So  its unlikely that the actual drug is causing the palpitations unless by immediate, you mean somewhere between 20 minutes and an hour.  Maybe there is some fear associated with taking it.

Its also not a good idea to take it on an irregular basis if your nervous system is already destabilized because it can cause interdose, rebound anxiety, which I think is what you may have been experiencing along with ongoing withdrawal symptoms from stopping Saphris too fast.

You have a lot going on, so its difficult to know which drug is causing which problem.  If you keep making changes, your situation will keep getting worse and more complicated.  You got some good advice from GiaK and Alto at the beginning of your thread.

Also, as MammaP mentioned, it would be helpful if your put your drug history in your signature, instructions are in the link she posted.

Stay calm and stay in touch here, so that we can help guide you through this process.

Petu.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Thanks a lot for all the posts!

I am still confused how to put my history in my signature so I will just type them in for now....

Basically, 2 days ago I took too much Proponolol and Klonopin (experimenting with both)... took less than the smallest daily dose of both and still felt on the verge of an overdose...

While Klonopin was working pretty well for about a week, in the last few days, it has completely lost it's effectiveness. While for the first week, after taking Klonopin, about an hour or so later, it would kick in and calm me down. In the last few days, it has seemed to make all my symptoms/heart palpitations WORSE. For about 10-15 hours I had nonstop heart racing even while taking Proponolol and Klonopin.

Yesterday, I took nothing for a full 22 hours to clear out my system. I fell asleep feeling great, woke up 3 hours later, still felt ok. Took 0.25 Klonopin as a test (also I assumed I should not stop it completely anyway) Anyway, had a very bad reaction again, depressed, even more anxious... Went back to bed (I slept well) Woke up and took 2.5 Proponolol and feel much better. I am convinced again that Klonopin has lost all its effectiveness and I am scared of even taking any more even to taper down based on it leading to heart palpitations/anxiety.

I feel great now... definately took way too high doses of both medications... still want to try to take Proponolol but do NOT want to deal with Klonopin again ever, especially because of it's addictive nature.

History: Smoked weed and drank hard liquor in huge quantities from age 17-19

Became paranoid and was hospitalized and diagnosed with schitzophrenia

Was given large amounts of Zyprexa... and various anti-depressants while in hospital for 2 weeks.

1996-2010- Stayed on Zyprexa 15MG for 14 years and 10MG Celexa for about 10 years.

Felt very stable on Zyprexa but also drank (binge drinking) and smoked cigarettes throughout the entire 14 years I was on the medications.

Was pre-diabetic from Zyprexa weight gain and had to stop taking Zyprexa 2 and a half years ago, this was when all my hell started.

I was put on Saphris which made me extremely suicidal and manic... I also had horrible nightmares... I tried coming off Saphris many times but wasn't able to sleep without it.

2010-2013 Stayed on Saphris 5MG twice a day for 2 and a half years.

Jan 2014- A month ago after alternating between 5MG and 10MG, I finally quit Saphris and decided I would rather not sleep than want to die.

I then was put on Seroquel for about a week which gave me angry/violent thoughts. I quit the Seroquel and within a day or 2 developed severe akathisia.

The akathisia was the worst thing I have ever gone through and was at it's worst the first 4 days. Was suicidal/almost went in hospital and ER.

I then took Diazapam for 3 or 4 days and then was prescribed Klonopin which initially was helpful. Have been on about 0.75 Klonopin for 12 days now.

Akathesia went away for the last week but later developed heart palpitations and was put on Proponolol.

Proponolol initially worked but the more I took it the less effective it became and eventually did not help.

• Administrator

az, you and Klonopin clearly do not get along. I question your doctor's judgment in prescribing it for Saphris withdrawal symptoms.

It's possible that, since you've taken it for only 12 days and found it activating throughout, it hasn't downregulated your GABA receptors and you can just stop. Please continue to let us know how you're feeling.

Are you now taking proponolol as needed? What are your symptoms now?

I am concerned about any further drugs for you. Please seriously consider a new doctor, see http://tinyurl.com/7cp8l8v

Hi Alto,

Today I feel better than I have in a long time... After doing endless hours of research online, I went to a temporary psychiatrist and asked specifically for Proponolol. She refused and gave me Klonopin.

Is it possible that Klonopin stopped my akathesia? I have not felt it in about a week. If in fact, Klonopin solved my akathesia or contributed, then thank God I was put on it.

The downside is I am convinced Klonopin led to heart palpitations. I still felt them today but they were very mild and went away. I did not take Proponolol today or anything else and felt ok.

My real fear is that after stopping Klonopin, what side effects will I feel over the coming weeks. Will my akathesia come back? Will my anxiety/agorophobia/paranoia get worse? (I plan on possibly taking proponolol as needed because when I took it more regularly I would wake up sweaty and panicked)

Besides that, I feel clearer and better today than I have in a while... still very worried about possible upcoming withdrawal symptoms from Klonopin/Saphris etc.

I slept longer than I have in a month. 3 and a half hours, woke up for a few hours, slept another 3 or 4 hours and then later took a nap for 2 hours during the day.

It honestly feels like I recovered from multiple nervous breakdowns... I hope I am now stable.

History: Smoked weed and drank hard liquor in huge quantities from age 17-19

Became paranoid and was hospitalized and diagnosed with schitzophrenia

Was given large amounts of Zyprexa... and various anti-depressants while in hospital for 2 weeks.

1996-2010- Stayed on Zyprexa 15MG for 14 years and 10MG Celexa for about 10 years.

Felt very stable on Zyprexa but also drank (binge drinking) and smoked cigarettes throughout the entire 14 years I was on the medications.

Was pre-diabetic from Zyprexa weight gain and had to stop taking Zyprexa 2 and a half years ago, this was when all my hell started.

I was put on Saphris which made me extremely suicidal and manic... I also had horrible nightmares... I tried coming off Saphris many times but wasn't able to sleep without it.

2010-2013 Stayed on Saphris 5MG twice a day for 2 and a half years.

Jan 2014- A month ago after alternating between 5MG and 10MG, I finally quit Saphris and decided I would rather not sleep than want to die.

I then was put on Seroquel for about a week which gave me angry/violent thoughts. I quit the Seroquel and within a day or 2 developed severe akathisia.

The akathisia was the worst thing I have ever gone through and was at it's worst the first 4 days. Was suicidal/almost went in hospital and ER.

I then took Diazapam for 3 or 4 days and then was prescribed Klonopin which initially was helpful. Have been on about 0.75 Klonopin for 12 days now.

Akathesia went away for the last week but later developed heart palpitations and was put on Proponolol.

Proponolol initially worked but the more I took it the less effective it became and eventually did not help.

Please help...

I was doing ok yesterday until late at night at 2am I took 2.5MG of Proponolol before bed... my heart has been racing for 12 hours straight, I have not slept at all, just have layed in bed the entire time...

It is now 1:30PM the following day and I just took 0.125MG of Klonopin because I am worried that this might be withdrawal symptoms of coming off Klonopin.

I feel horrible and don't know when all these symptoms will stop... I am on the verge of going into a hospital or Emergency room but I don't want that, they will put me on high doses of god knows what.

I don't know what to do. Please help.

Do you have any magnesium in the house? Or could you take an Epsom salts bath?

56 years old

Can you count your pulse for 10-15 seconds and multiply by 4 or 6 to take your pulse?

56 years old

I took 0.125MG of Klonopin and I feel 100% better... I think even 0.25MG of Klonopin 3 times a day is too much, I was taking too much I am extremely sensitive...

Should I take 0.125 Klonopin like 3 or 4 times a day, or should I just take it as needed?

Hi, I read your symptoms and what you've been thru, all I can say is please stop the klonopin as soon as you can, it sounds like you have been on not too long, please. I went down this path, horrible psych withdrawals > unstable nervous system > benzo and I am now in a worse state than ever trying to get off it. I'm glad you found out it was addictive this soon. Please stop or taper off. It is only harming your nervous system more and your problems will rebound. I can say almost for certain your heart palps are from benzo interdose withdrawal. Do not take as needed. Take as little as possible until you can get off. That is my advice.

Lexapro & Wellbutrin ~2003-2012

Switched from Lexapro to Prozac early 2012

CT all meds mid 2012, manic episode; put on every bipolar med known to man June-Aug 2012

Stopped meds CT Aug 2012

50 mg Lamictal Nov 2012

Ativan 0.5mg/PRN Dec 2012 (up to 2mg by May 2013)

Lunesta Jan-June 2013, CTed

Trazodone 100mg June 2013

[non-psych: Nature-Throid/Cytomel Dec 2012-June 2013; progesterone cream Nov 2013-pres]

current:75mg Lamictal (raised to help with benzo withdrawal)

1.6mg Ativan (very slowly tapering)

30mg Trazodone (holding)

• Administrator

Take 0.125MG Klonopin as infrequently as possible, to avoid dependency.

If I were you, I'd take a very, very small amount of Saphris for the withdrawal symptoms. How much Saphris were you taking?

Magnesium can help slow things down. It is calming. See http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

Many people do well with fish oil supplements, too, see

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/