SAM-e (S-adenosyl-L-methionine)

Punarbhava

• Administrator

What usually happens is that if a supplement or food helps, it helps for a while, but then either loses effect or causes an unpleasant reaction. Then you go on to the next supplement or food.

My experience has been that fish oil, magnesium, vitamin C, and melatonin have had good effects for years.

Be sure to try supplements very cautiously, and one at a time. If you are sensitive to foods, same thing.

Whatever you read on MIA has no basis in my experience.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Whatever you read on MIA has no basis in my experience.

Someone in a thread has been advising a person to take 5HTP to rebalance brain chemistry.   So this person starts with 200mg of the supplement and is doing horribly.   What a surprise.

The good news is that other posters are acknowledging I have a point about supplements aggrivating withdrawal symptoms.   But too many of them think that because they aren't drugs, they are harmless.   So frustrating.

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

• 10 months later...

I wanted to add my two cents to this topic.  For about 4 years I've been taking Sam-E thinking it's a safe, natural, over the counter supplement that helps with depression and joint health but this past week I got a really rude awakening.  At first I was taking 400mg for a while, then decided to drop to the 200mg pills to save on money.  Then about 3 months ago I decided I'd do an improvised taper to get off of Sam-E since I just figured it wasn't doing much for me anymore and I could save even more money.  I went from the 200mg pills to 100mg, then alternated taking it one day and not the next for about 2 or 3 weeks and stopped altogether.  I'd been getting symptoms but I'm also tapering off of Valium so I just figured they were part of that, but once I stopped the Sam-E I had HORRIBLE withdrawals about 4 days later.  Nausea, achy & restless legs, ringing in my ears, anxiety and depression that were crushing, and derealization with weird terrible thoughts.  I ended up reinstating on it and figured I'd just take the 100mg pills but it's been a game up of catch up and I've been feeling super crappy off and on each day.  The other delima with Sam-E is that it's pills are usually enteric coated so it's hard to cut them to lower doses in order to taper.  Not only that it has an extremely short half life which makes for rough withdrawals.  DO NOT take this stuff lightly.  I have been on it a long time but if I could go back in time I would have never touched the stuff in the first place.

2011-Started taking over the counter Sam-E.

10/2015-Did an improvised taper off Sam-E for a couple months, stopped taking it and had extreme symptoms 3-4 days later.  Now trying to figure out how to properly taper off of it.

1/2015-Prescribed 20mg of Valium for anxiety, been liquid tapering off it since 6/2015 after I started getting bad side effects.

• 11 months later...

I have read through this thread but have a question....I have a couple gene mutations that suggest I take l-methionine.  One of the mutations is the COMT mutation and the other is the Glutathione Conjugation which I am completely ABSENT in....meaning I don't even have any of this gene.  It was suggested to me that I take methionine to help break down the high levels of norepeinphrine in my body.  What is your thoughts on taking the supplement if you have these two gene mutations? 

1995 - 2015 antidepressants and antianxiety medicine
Multiple failed attempts to quit/taper anti d/anti anxiety meds since 2008

June 17, 2016 began prozac bridge to get off of effexor xr, stopped effexor xr on June 24, 2016, could not tolerate prozac due to severe side effects so I had to stop it  Currently...300 mg ER of lithium, 1 mg of estradiol, 60 mg propranolol ER, Fish oil 2 x a day, Magnesium Glycinate,  zinc, vitamin c, vitamin d, NAC

• 1 year later...

It's been a while since I first posted about this so I just wanted to give a little update.  What happened with me is I kept taking Sam-E since I posted about it because I was tapering Valium and Suboxone at the same time.  Then a little over a month ago I decided to really try and get off of it so I started alternating days of taking it and not since you can't cut the pills because they're enteric coated.  I felt some withdrawal symptoms but they weren't too bad.  Then a couple weeks ago I made the leap and stopped taking it altogether.  Around day 3 I started to notice anxiety, nausea and a bloated stomach, achiness, sweating, and a constant horrible headache that would not go away.  Finally around day 6 I couldn't handle the symptoms so I took a 100mg Sam-E pill and the symptoms completely went away within 2 hours, but it also gave me super bad anxiety which is the main thing I hear from people when they first start taking it.  So I was kind of in a tough spot having withdrawals but no wanting to take Sam-E because it gave me bad anxiety.  Now I'm on day of no Sam-E except for that one pill, and I'm feeling better than I was a few days ago but still definitely struggling.  From what I've read the withdrawal is very similar to an SSRI one which makes sense because Sam-E is needed to synthesize serotonin in your body.  The withdrawal is also almost identical to benzo withdrawal, just more mild.  It sounds like the healing is going to take awhile, but it's encouraging that I already feel a little better. 

2011-Started taking over the counter Sam-E.

10/2015-Did an improvised taper off Sam-E for a couple months, stopped taking it and had extreme symptoms 3-4 days later.  Now trying to figure out how to properly taper off of it.

1/2015-Prescribed 20mg of Valium for anxiety, been liquid tapering off it since 6/2015 after I started getting bad side effects.

• 4 months later...

Ugh I just don’t know what to do! I was just going start on SamE but now after reading this thread, I shouldn’t take it?

i just feel lost bc we’re damned if we take meds and seem damned if we take natural.....I want to explode!

someone please for the love of God please give me advice on what to do! 

On Celexa for 2.5, stopped 4 months ago. Been taking Ativan 1-2 times a week for sleep. 

So im not in natural depression I’m assuming I’m on withdrawl depression. I am not bipolar. 

Help!!!! What natural should I take? 

Please see please don’t just move this post to somewhere else and tell me I’m posting wrong HELPME!

🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

In 2015- had UTI put on Microbid. Stopped sleeping & had a nervous breakdown! Was put on Seroquil, Trazadone, Klonopin, just to name a few! Got off all drugs except Celexa until May of 2018. 

Update as of 1/19- reinstated Celexa 20mg. Drinking wine nightly along with a slew of meds/supplements to try and get to sleep. 

• 1 month later...

I was taking 400 mg of SAM-e/day for several months. When I tried stopping cold turkey, I had horrible withdrawal symptoms. Then I learned from Brassmonkey that SAM-e has to be tapered by 10% every four weeks, like SSRI’s. The only way to do that is by taking the SAM-e in liquid form because the enteric coated tablets can’t be cut without losing their effectiveness. This company makes a liquid SAM-e:

https://luminahealth.com/products/cellfood-sam-e-formula/

1996-2007 - sertraline 200 mg/day

2007-3/16 - sertraline 100 mg/day

3/16-8/16 - sertraline 75 mg/day

8/16-1/17 - sertraline 50 mg/day

1/17-8/17 - sertraline 25 mg/day, St. John's Wort 700-1250 mg/day

8/17 - Stopped sertraline and continued taking SJW. Soon after, stopped SJW and started 400 mg SAM-e/day.

2/18 - Reinstated SJW (taking sporadically)

• Moderator Emeritus

Staying away from supplements has been the best choice for me.  I react badly even to mild supplements, like iron and iodine, so I never risked sam-E.

*I'm not a doctor and don't give medical advice, just personal experience
**Off all meds since Nov. 2014. Mentally & emotionally recovered; physically not
-Dual cold turkeys off TCA & Ativan in Oct 2014. Prescribed from 2011-2014

-All meds were Rxed off-label for an autoimmune illness.  It was a MISDIAGNOSIS, but I did not find out until AFTER meds caused damage.  All med tapers/cold turkeys directed by doctors 

-Nortriptyline May 2012 - Dec 2013. Cold turkey off nortrip & cold switched to desipramine

-Desipramine Jan 2014 - Oct. 29, 2014 (rapid taper/cold turkey)

-Lorazepam 1 mg per night during 2011
-Lorazepam 1 mg per month in 2012 (or less)

-Lorazepam on & off, Dec 2013 through Aug 2014. Didn't exceed 3x a week

-Lorazepam again in Oct. 2014 to help get off of desipramine. Last dose lzpam was 1 mg, Nov. 2, 2014. Immediate paradoxical reactions to benzos after stopping TCAs 

-First muscle/dystonia side effects started on nortriptyline, but docs too stupid to figure it out. On desipramine, muscle tremors & rigidity worsened

-Two weeks after I got off all meds, I developed full-blown TD.  Tardive dystonia, dyskinesia, myoclonic jerks ALL over body, ribcage wiggles, facial tics, twitching tongue & fingers, tremors/twitches of arms, legs, cognitive impairment, throat muscles semi-paralyzed & unable to swallow solid food, brain zaps, ears ring, dizzy, everything looks too far away, insomnia, numbness & electric shocks everywhere when I try to fall asleep, jerk awake from sleep with big, gasping breaths, wake with terrors & tremors, severely depressed.  NO HISTORY OF DEPRESSION, EVER. Meds CREATED it.

-Month 7: hair falling out; no vision improvement; still tardive dystonia; facial & tongue tics returned
-Month 8: back to acute, incl. Grand Mal seizure-like episodes. New mental torment, PGAD, worse insomnia
-Month 9: tardive dystonia worse, dyskinesia returned. Unable to breathe well due to dystonia in stomach, chest, throat
-Month 13: Back to acute, brain zaps back, developed eczema & stomach problems. Left leg no longer works right due to dystonia, meaning both legs now damaged
-7 years off: Huge improvements, incl. improved dystonia

• 3 years later...

Hi,

I was 'advised' to try SAM-e by an integrated medicine doctor who was uneducated about SSRI withdrawal syndrome. I was hoping it would take the place of Lexapro after I tapered off. I didn't know about post-acute withdrawal syndrome yet.

Long story short, when I tried to reduce my dose because of indigestion I had withdrawals just like SSRI withdrawals. Insomnia, anxiety, and agitation. I am stuck on 400mg a day until a doctor can guide me through tapering off of it.

Of course I want to beat myself up for introducing another drug that I have to taper off, but I need to move on from that negative thought. I didn't understand how hypersensitive my system was/is at the time, and I was trying my best to cope.

Anyways, I replied here to warn people about this and to let you know that I will post updates when I start tapering. I have an appointment with Paul Abramson* (San Francisco) coming up and I hope it will work out.

* for more info see: 

Edited by ChessieCat
added link

Drug history:

• Zoloft 10mg 1999 - estimated 2007
  • Lexapro (escitalopram) 20mg estimated start 2009 - Jan 2021 (self tapered Sep 2020 - Dec 2020)
  • Tried fish oil supplements (1200mg EPA + 900mg DHA) in June and July 2021 but had increased anxiety/agitation
  • SAM-e 400mg estimated start August 2021 to present

Introduction post

• 10 months later...

I tried sam-e yesterday. Feeling pretty desperate at the moment.  It did well nothing at all but I only took it for one day. Given all the stuff you all are saying about it I should probably not take anymore.

???? To  early April 2021: citalopram 20mg. This was a about 12+years

April 2021: stopped taking citalopram 

6/10/2021 to 6/11/2021: started taking buspirone for anxiety . Got ringing in the ears and insomnia so I stopped

6/16/2021 reinstatement of citalopram at 10mg

8/12/2021: 4.5ml/9mg citalopram 10/11/21 4ml 11/15/21 3.5ml 12/28/2021: 3ml/6mg 1/28/2022 2.5ml/5mg  2mL/4mg 3/6/2022 1.5ml/3mg 4/12/2022  5/31/2022 1ml/2mg  7/31/2022 .5ml/1mg

9/3/2022: .4ml/.8mg citalopram. after a few days got some severe withdrawal so  .45ml/.9mg 9/8/2022 10/6/2022 1mg again .45ml/.9mg 12/9/2022

• 3 months later...

http://Gggg. I've been off my antidepressants  2 years and 7 months.  Has anyone else taken this during withdrawls? 

Year 2010 to 2020 remeron, Buspar, atenelol, Ativan as needed (once a week)  remeron  stopped working (pooped out)

oct 2020 started amitryptyline took it 3 months 

Dec started wellbutrin, Stopped it 3 months later 

Started Paxil again for 3 months

took vibryd for 1 month, Stopped it in 5 days 

Started sam e 100mgs 3x a day, Tyrosine 1000mgs 3 x a dayfor 6 months 

August 2020 - Off all antidepressants 

16 th of Feb, 2023  started taperingsam e  the 100mg  2 x a day of sam e. I stopped taking the  afternoon one. And started every other day then every r day.

• Administrator

@GGGGplease read this topic from the beginning. Before starting a topic about a supplement, please use search in the Symptoms and Self-Care forum and add to existing topics.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I was on antidepressants 20 years. I stopped them in5 day. I've been off them 2.7 years. I've been using sam e 100 mg morning and evening.   Has anyone else used this?

Year 2010 to 2020 remeron, Buspar, atenelol, Ativan as needed (once a week)  remeron  stopped working (pooped out)

16 th of Feb, 2023  started taperingsam e  the 100mg  2 x a day of sam e. I stopped taking the  afternoon one. And started every other day then every r day.

I was on antidepressants 20 years. I stopped them in5 day. I've been off them 2.7 years. I've been using sam e 100 mg morning and evening.   Has anyone else used this?

I've been taking this for 2.7 years.  After being on antidepressants 20 tears and cold turkeying off it.   I stopped them for 5 days and got very anxious and depressed. I have 2 days back on them. Would I have to wean off of them like ssris?

http://mental-health.emedtv.com/sam-e/sam-e-side-effects.html

SAM-e Side Effects

Nausea, insomnia, and loss of appetite are some of the more common problems reported by people taking SAM-e. These problems are more likely to occur with a higher dosage of the supplement. Several less common -- but potentially serious -- side effects of SAM-e are also possible and require immediate medical attention, including restlessness, panic attacks, and suicidal thoughts or behavior.

Side Effects to Report

SAM-e Supplement Information

Does SAM-e Cause Side Effects?

As with any medication or supplement, side effects are possible with S-adenosyl-L-methionine (SAM-e). Many people assume that natural products, such as SAM-e, are always free of side effects. However, this is simply not the case. Any supplement that has medicinal properties may also have side effects.

(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects of SAM-e. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of SAM-e side effects with you.)

Common Side Effects of SAM-e
Some of the common SAM-e side effects include:

Gas
Nausea and vomiting
Diarrhea or constipation
Dry mouth
Headaches
Insomnia
Loss of appetite
Sweating
Dizziness
Nervousness
Fatigue.

As you might expect, side effects are more common with a higher SAM-e dosage.

Side Effects to Report
Some side effects of SAM-e, while occurring infrequently, are potentially serious and should be reported immediately to your healthcare provider.

These include but are not limited to:

Anxiety, agitation, or panic attacks
Hostility or aggressiveness
Engaging in unusual or dangerous activities
Restlessness or inability to sit still
Extreme elation or feeling of happiness that may switch back and forth with a depressed or sad mood
Other unusual changes in behavior
Suicidal thoughts or behavior
Parkinson's disease symptoms, such as a tremor (SAM-e could theoretically cause or worsen these symptoms)
Signs of an allergic reaction, such as:

Itching
Hives
Rash
Wheezing
Difficulty breathing
Swelling of the mouth or throat.

Edited by Altostrata
updated

To Face My Trials with "The Grace of a Woman Rather Than the Grief of a Child". (quote section by Veronica A. Shoffstall)

Be Not Afraid of Growing Slowly. Be Afraid of Only Standing Still.

(Chinese Proverb)

I Create and Build Empowerment Within Each Time I Choose to Face A Fear, Sit with it and Ask Myself, "What Do I Need to Learn?"

• Administrator

Please read this topic from the beginning!!

How would you wean off of sam e? I take 100mg in the morning and 100 in the evening

Edited by GGGG

• Administrator

Please read this topic from the beginning.

15 hours ago, GGGG said:

How would you wean off of sam e? I take 100mg in the morning and 100 in the evening

You have to taper by about 10% each month. You can’t taper using the tablets because they’re enteric coated and become ineffective when they’re cut. There is one liquid SAM-e and it’s available on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Cellfood-Sam-Liquid-Formula-oz/dp/B009HWF6DI/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=SYECLC7KPJ93&keywords=cellfood+sam-e&qid=1676560282&sprefix=cellfood+sam%2Caps%2C138&sr=8-3

1996-2007 - sertraline 200 mg/day

2007-3/16 - sertraline 100 mg/day

3/16-8/16 - sertraline 75 mg/day

8/16-1/17 - sertraline 50 mg/day

1/17-8/17 - sertraline 25 mg/day, St. John's Wort 700-1250 mg/day

8/17 - Stopped sertraline and continued taking SJW. Soon after, stopped SJW and started 400 mg SAM-e/day.

2/18 - Reinstated SJW (taking sporadically)

21 minutes ago, Ali75 said:

You have to taper by about 10% each month. You can’t taper using the tablets because they’re enteric coated and become ineffective when they’re cut. There is one liquid SAM-e and it’s available on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Cellfood-Sam-Liquid-Formula-oz/dp/B009HWF6DI/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=SYECLC7KPJ93&keywords=cellfood+sam-e&qid=1676560282&sprefix=cellfood+sam%2Caps%2C138&sr=8-3

I've been cutting the 200 sam e tablets  mg enteric coated tablets for 2 years. 100 in the morning  and 100 in the evening.  Yesterday I took only the morning one and skipped the. Evening one . I took a vistaril to sleep. Did you ever take vistaril to sleep?

• Administrator
On 6/16/2011 at 3:16 PM, Altostrata said:

If you have been taking any of these related supplements daily, to go off, you may need to taper them by a quarter of your daily dose per week.

Updated to be absolutely clear.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/7/2013 at 3:46 PM, Zoe said:

I have been taking Sam-E for years. I was wondering if anyone thinks it may be making my w/d worse? If so do I taper it also? I am not trying to taper now- just trying to stabilize.  Thanks in advance for your help. Blessings to all!

Do you still take sam e?

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy