WiseWomanWithIssues: Seroquel Taper

WiseWomanWithIssues

I have been on 100 mg seroquel XR and 25 mg Seroquel (regular) Since October 2013.  I have tried to stop the drug but find I'm having a difficult time doing so.   I have extensive experience tapering as I just completed a 2 + year taper after 10+ years Benzo use.

I had hoped that the short duration of use of Seroquel would make it easier to come off of but I think I am mistaken.  My goal is to transition from Seroquel XR to regular Seroquel if possible and then slowly taper. 

I tapered valium using water and am hoping I can do the same with seroquel.  What's confusing me is that I was on Ativan which is a short half life and was told to c/o to Valium (a longer half life) which I did.  But now taperin off of Seroquel XR it is suggested that I c/o to the shorter acting version.  So I'm a bit at a lot for how to do this.

A good portion of the problem is that I was put on Seroquel to deal with the benzo post acute w/d symptoms.  Even at the time I knew it was a stupid thing to do, but I was having an exceedingly rough time.  And now, only a few months out, I can see, at least for me, that seroquel seems to be losing it's "punch" and in order to get the same effect I'm going to have to increase the dose.  I DID not expect that.  But now that I know it's no different than benzos, and that I will have to go through this at some point, I might as well do it while the dose I'm on is lower.

But I'm terrified.  Not only will there be w/d from this, but it will bring my other w/d back.  I'm scared I won't survive this.

Any wise words or information or links or anything you can provide would be hugely welcomed!

Thankyou so much

WWWI

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi WWW, welcome to SA.  You can safely taper off seroquel, here is the topic that 

will help. Read the whole thread and you will find some great information and advice. 

Seroquel can be made into a liquid, there are also many different dose tablets available 

so you can use which is best for your taper. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1707-tips-for-tapering-off-seroquel-quetiapine/?hl=seroquel

It would help if you could put your recent drug history in your signature strip. Here is how to do that.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

Congratulations on tapering the benzo, not an easy thing to do! 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Administrator

Welcome, WiseWomanWithIssues.

And for information about how to cope with withdrawal symptoms, see http://tinyurl.com/3hq949z

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.