SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

ASMR - for some people it relieves stress like nothing else.

Petunia

• Moderator Emeritus

I accidentally stumbled onto this a few days ago while looking for a review of the book 'The Highly Sensitive Person' by Elaine N. Aron, Ph.D

It was pure luck that I discovered ASMR, I've had this my whole life, but had no idea it was even a 'thing' or had a name.  I found myself about to watch a youtube video review of the book, but was puzzled why the letters ASMR were in the title. Then when the video started, the guy was whispering, I could hardly hear it, I had to turn everything right up, at first it was a bit annoying, but then he started talking about the book and relating it to something called ASMR and I got very curious, left the video to find out what it was all about and found myself in a whole new world.

ASMR stands for Autonomous sensory meridian response, apparently some people experience it and some don't.  For people who have this, triggering this response can be extremely relaxing, calming and induce sleep.

I was looking for a short video which explains it, there were a few I found, but the one I'm linking to, does an amazing job of not only explaining it, but also by incorporating some of the triggers for  ASMR in the actual presentation.

A comment below the video sums up what I think may be the potential this has for some people

"...i can't thank you enough, you've done more for me than my doctors have over the last 17 years."

It works best if you use headphones and you may need to turn the sound up.  I've only just started exploring these kinds of videos, but already I've found some of my own triggers and can't believe how relaxed some of them make me feel, the most surprising is the sound of a pencil being sharpened.  Of course its not a cure for withdrawal, but it may help with anxiety, stress and insomnia.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Moderator Emeritus

I feel that too and thought everyone did, it is just normal for me!

On talent shows you often get times when someone says they got a tingle down their spine,

I do too at some things.  The whirr of my daughter using a sewing machine, rain on canvas or a tin roof,

hospital visiting times when a ward is full of visitors round patients' beds, all speaking in

hushed tones  has me so drowsy I literally cannot hold my head up! I love the soft hum of a

shopping centre but hate the noisy buzz of a busy one. 

Wow, thanks for sharing it Petu  :)

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

I have not yet seen the video......BUT I  know I am ultra sensitive.....always felt it was a curse....

Thank you Petu

Just went over the Author's Webstie....very interesting I would like to read her book and do the workbook.

I was and I am not, nor will I every be shy :P   but sensitive - you bet.

Petu I am easily startled and when I was married and was startled by my former spouse walking up behind me or into a room, he used to get angry, sarcastic and put me down and would tell me there was something wrong with me.  And guess what.....I knew I was sensitive but felt flawed by it.  Still do.  He was mean.

Thanks again for posting this....in Attacking Anxiety and Depression by Lucina Bassett, she says that 'we' sensitive folks are much more prone to anxiety.  She's right.

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

• Moderator Emeritus

Wow, fun! I feel really relaxed by the sound of rain on a tin roof, I bet this is what it is. Looking forward to playing with this, thanks Petu!

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm glad some of you are finding this interesting, I was a bit hesitant to post about it because if you don't get it, it could seem weird.  Some of the videos can come across as being strange..... very strange.

Since watching more of this, its been bringing back memories from childhood.  I used to instigate a game with my friends where we would draw pictures or write words on each others backs and try and guess what it was.  I was never interested in the game, but just wanted to feel the sensation of having someone gently touching my back.  It really used to annoy me that I had to concentrate to guess the word or the picture.

I used to have a very hard time playing 'Chinese whispers', that game where someone starts with a short sentence and then its whispered from one person to the next until the last person repeats it out loud to see how much its changed.  My problem was that when someone whispered in my ear, I would be overwhelmed with these crazy tingles and I wouldn't remember the sentence.

Another thing I remember from school was sometimes I would be watching someone write something, usually a girl who wrote with slow, precise movements, it was something about the way some people write, but it would put me into a kind of pleasant trance.  I remember it being so nice that it was disappointing when they stopped writing.

There seems to be a connection between sensitivity and the ability to experience ASMR.  I don't remember experiencing it during any of the time I was on medication, so now I'm off all meds and at the moment hypersensitive, its nice to be able to find something which actually uses that in my favor.  I had a lovely time yesterday evening exploring  many of the ASMR channels on youtube, I fell asleep several times.

The first ASMR research has recently been published, its titled:

Touched through a screen: putative neural correlates of autonomous sensory meridian response / Bryson C. Lochte

Unfortunately the results are not yet available online.  Anyone interested in participating in research can apply here:

http://www.asmr-research.org/

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

• 2 months later...

Sorry if this thread is old but i think i used to have ASMR too! I say used too because i think my anhedonia is making it so i dont experience it anymore - apparently that can happen to ssri users but its meant to come back, still waiting for that to happen to me!

My asmr wasnt as easily triggered as for some people, for me it was all about appointments lol. I remember i wanted something to be wrong with me at the doctors because i loved the feeling of them checking my heart, ears, eyes, etc just the silence and focus lmao how weird is that? The sounds of it all too it just felt so nice and relaxing! Even ar the eye doctor, when she was checking the prescription she whispered something slowly as she changed the focus of the lense and it felt almost like i was in a trance lol! It was pure ecstacy but i remember getting excited whenever i had to do these things.

I loved getting my hair cut too, like when she'd cut behind my ears, spray the water, cut the back of my head etc etc i know this sounds so strange but this kind of interaction/sound would do this to me hahah so thats why i watch the roleplay videos. Ive even found tutorial videos or people showing me how to do something captivating/relaxing. But the thing is, since withdrawal ive only experienced asmr a little and its more difficult to "get into it" like with music and everything else. Could it be anhedonia/emotional bluntedness? Will i get better? I also have pssd which ties in with these things i think (anhedonia i mean).

2010 - citalopram 10mg 
2011 - 20-40mg, 1 month taper, PSSD & Anhedonia - Elavil 10mg during taper.
Clonazepam when needed after a month of daily use. 
2012 - Off Elavil - Zoloft (sertraline) 25mg - 50 mgs for 6 months + Buspar for a while. Pssd & anhedonia improved on zoloft, now has gotten a lot worse since a year off. 

Off all drugs since October 2012.

The day Petu posted this I tried the video with the 11 kinds. It was in the morning after too many nights of not getting enough sleep because of withdrawal. It put me out. Have no idea how long I was out but the sound I woke up to was mildly irritating. I haven't tried it since because at the time, if I dozed or tried to after my cortisol wake up I would have daymares.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

• Moderator Emeritus

But the thing is, since withdrawal ive only experienced asmr a little and its more difficult to "get into it" like with music and everything else. Could it be anhedonia/emotional bluntedness? Will i get better? I also have pssd which ties in with these things i think (anhedonia i mean).

I'm the same, I've only been able to experience it a little, nothing like what I was like before withdrawal, I used to be exactly the same as you at appointments.  I remember once going to have a cat scan or MRI or something, the one with the long tube that most people feel claustrophobic in and just want to escape from.  The medical staff were all concerned and comforting and I was like in in some kind of heavenly trance, wishing I could stay there for the rest of the day getting gently attended to, I think I even had to have some kind of dye injected into me.

I find that my ability to enjoy asmr videos fluctuates with my symptoms.  If I'm feeling a little better, then I can watch and enjoy them.  If I'm in a nasty wave, like now, I find them disturbing and irritating or just boring.  I'm sure our ability to enjoy these things along with everything else will come back as we heal more.

CW, I'm sorry you had a bad experience, but I can understand completely, I go through stages of having daymares and they can be triggered by all kinds of things.  I have to be very careful not to fall asleep when my cortisol is high.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

The experience wasn't necessarily bad as it was surprising. I just have forgotten to try it again or haven't felt the need to. Too much hassle to turn the laptop on. Can't do it at night because I don't waste to fall asleep with it on, silly reasons.

My daymares used to to get triggered by falling asleep while reclining in bed. IE I was drowsy I'd have to lie down flat real quick especially if it happened shortly after waking at 4 or 5 am or else they would color my day ugly. Sometimes just tipping my head back and closing my eyes during morning drowsiness would trigger them too.

I don't like how my body is able to function on a reduced amt of sleep. I want to blot out more of my waking hours because of not liking how limited my life has become.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

• 1 month later...

Hello, all,

Realizing this thread has some age on it, but wanted to sign on as a definite ASMR person (which makes sense since I self-identify as "highly sensitive"). I was astounded when I stumbled upon the asmr-research website a few months ago. Up until then, I thought I was, like, the only one - or one of an infinitesimal minority.

Petu, I, too, had it hugely as a young child - to the point that I also devised games designed specifically with the secret intention of illicitng the response. And, sometimes the response would overtake me so much that I would have this sort of internal relaxed melting sensation. At which point, I remember quickly saying to playmates, "let's pretend we're melting snowmen!" just so I could sort of crumble to the ground for a second and not look TOTALLY weird! Of course, this was all in the early years of primary school  - I didn't carry such habits beyond that ;-) I should alsonote that I, too, was able to plug into it somewhat during recent cat scans - I think much to the amazement of the clinicians. I was very relaxed and, even despite my depression, a little blissed out. :-)

I still had it well into adulthood, though. I've worked in offices most of my life, and some of my absolutely favorite triggers are when people around me are engaging in quiet, mundane tasks with small, precise movements (maintenance workers sweeping quietly, the office florist vendors coming in to water the plants, photocopier maintenance, or maintenance workers changing lightbulbs, etc.)

It has faded somewhat in recent years - and, of course, got completely blown out of my system after my breakdown. I think my system needs to be in a fairly relaxed, receptive mode to really plug into it. That said, I have been incorporating ASMR audio/videos with my guided meditations at bedtime and have been finding them helpful. It's also a pleasure to be actively working on recultivating the response. The ASMR videos out there vary wildly in quality and, it's also such a subjective experience, that finding ones that are effective is pretty hit-or-miss.

04/2013 diagnoses: severe insomnia, major depressive disorder, anxiety disorder, agoraphobia. PTSD (my diagnosis)

Original scripts: 30 mg mirtazapine (Remeron) (1x day), 75 mg Bupropion HCL (Wellbutrin) (2x day), and 0.5 lorazepam (1x day or as needed)

05/05/14: Onset of acute Wellbutrin withdrawal symptoms after haphazard "taper" of 6-8 wks.

05/10/14: Joined this site.

05/11/14: Reinstated approx. 25 mg Wellbutrin (1x day)

05/14/14: Switched to 12.5 mg Wellbutrin (2x day)

06/28/14: Changed lorazepam dosing to .25 mg 2x a day - seems to be reducing anxiety flare-ups

07/28/14: Dosing Wellbutrin in a (home made) solution form 12.5 mg (2x day) 08/15/14: Remeron 28 25.2 22.7 20.5 18.5 16.7 15.1 13.6 mg (home made) solution

05/16/15: Have been dosing lorazepam at .5 mg in the morning, .25 mg in the afternoon, and .25 mg at bedtime. Anxiety has increased somewhat, possibly due to tolerance.

Does this relate to sensory processing disorders (there's probably a better name without 'disorder' attached)?

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

I had to google sensory processing disorder and, speaking very much as a layman, my opinion is that it isn't related. Sensory processing disorder appears to cause discomfort and problems with daily functioning (depending upon severity). ASMR (in my experience, anyway) is a very pleasurable, almost blissful, sensation. It's certainly controllable, in that I can come "out" of it at any moment and it doesn't interfere at all with any functionality. 

I surmise that it could possibly have some relation to synesthesia, where people see letters and numbers in different colors, or assign emotional weight to them (8's are angry, 6's are nice, etc.). But I think the connection is probably a weak one.

I think ASMR is one of those things (maybe like synesthesia) that is very difficult to explain, but if you have it, you recognize it from the explanation of others who have it. It is sort of a tingly feeling, as has been described, but (for me) it's a very light vibration, and like the name implies sort of involves the outlines of your entire being - the meridian - kind of where you imagine your aura might be (if you believe in that sort of thing). It's a little like, when someone is engaged in a mundane activity - cutting construction paper, changing a light bulb, whatever your trigger(s) happen to be - you can "feel" the energy of that activity throughout your being. It's definitely a body-mind thing. It almost feels like getting a telekinetic massage - kind of trance-like, but also easily interrupted. 

04/2013 diagnoses: severe insomnia, major depressive disorder, anxiety disorder, agoraphobia. PTSD (my diagnosis)

Original scripts: 30 mg mirtazapine (Remeron) (1x day), 75 mg Bupropion HCL (Wellbutrin) (2x day), and 0.5 lorazepam (1x day or as needed)

05/05/14: Onset of acute Wellbutrin withdrawal symptoms after haphazard "taper" of 6-8 wks.

05/10/14: Joined this site.

05/11/14: Reinstated approx. 25 mg Wellbutrin (1x day)

05/14/14: Switched to 12.5 mg Wellbutrin (2x day)

06/28/14: Changed lorazepam dosing to .25 mg 2x a day - seems to be reducing anxiety flare-ups

07/28/14: Dosing Wellbutrin in a (home made) solution form 12.5 mg (2x day) 08/15/14: Remeron 28 25.2 22.7 20.5 18.5 16.7 15.1 13.6 mg (home made) solution

05/16/15: Have been dosing lorazepam at .5 mg in the morning, .25 mg in the afternoon, and .25 mg at bedtime. Anxiety has increased somewhat, possibly due to tolerance.

I love ASMR and the hypnotic type videos.  Before pharmaceutical drugs my mind would have been highly receptive to this and it would have been a drug all its own. I used to have wonderful euphoric fits and could tap into them if I focused on some of the triggers presented in ASMR videos.  Alas, I am working on restoring those abilities but have also found some new "fun" things that I didn't know the body was capable of.

2008 Feb- 1MG Ativan As Needed

2010 Tolerance Withdrawal to Ativan begins. Source unrecognized.

2011 Fall Began Attempting to Come off Ativan 1 week taper as advised by doctor. Increase to 1mg Daily.

2012 January nervous breakdown symptoms. Source unrecognized. Withdrawal symptoms.

2012 May stopped Ativan cold turkey. Severe wd symptoms occurred by end of month.

2012 July 21st 50MG of Pristiq

2013 February 5 week increase to 100MG

2013 March tapered down from 100MG to 50MG in 2 weeks.

2013 March 27th first day of alternate day taper of 50mg to 0mg.

2013 March 13th first 2

2013 April 26th first 3

2013 May 1 first 4-day

2013 May 18th Last 50MG of Pristiq. Ever. Entirely drug free.

• 1 year later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hmmm.  This feels to me (I watched the one video here, it had samples of stuff) like shamanic trance, induction of light altered state theta consciousness.  With a fancy name, an acronym, and a community and AMSR-tists.  Giving a new name to an old phenomenon.  Yes, some are born with it, and some learn it.  Some forget how to do it, and learn it again.  We probably ended up on psych drugs for our sensitivity to altered states, empathy, and emotion.  I was positively attracted to the altered states when younger, and would do anything, try anything, to see how far I could take it (at some point, that went too far!).

I found the whispering annoying, but because I'm partially deaf, it's one of those anxiety things:  WHAT?  WHAT YOU SAYING? (of course, the ASMR experience has individual variations)

But the other stuff - the textures, the sounds, the simple repetitive tasks, very pleasurable, simple trance.  Like self-hypnosis.

Like what we try to induce with repetitive drumming or singing/chanting in shamanism. Again, individual variations, some respond differently to different "triggers* "

Like what was meant to be induced by the sessions with the guru in the ashram, hours of whispered softness, silence, meditation, chanting, repetition, the ritual.  Preparation for shaktipat kundalini (opening the centers completely, but you had to be in this receptive, tingly trance-like space before you could even go before the guru).

Like what is induced in people in church.  They hymns, the cadence of the sermon, the pattern of ritual.

Like what the tribes used to do, dancing around the fire, bonding a community together.  If anything, this might be the whole purpose of this "AMSR" experience - when the whole group does it together, I'll bet the oxytocin goes sky high, and the community is knit tightly, bonded, joined in ecstasy, to make better, more cooperative humans.

The difference between AMSR and shamanic trance, is in shamanism, you enter into that altered state for the sake of discovery, of learning something, with a focus and a purpose.  This AMSR appears to be to experience a pleasure and relaxation response.  It's like playing with a tool, that they (the AMSR people) don't know what it's there for.  They found it in the shed of their bodies, and didn't know what it was for or how to explain it - so this is their explanation for something which is far, far older than the internet.  They know it's fun, it's pleasurable, and they like it.  I see it as an unfocused receptiveness trance.  Some (clinical people) might call it "dissociation," and it is a safe place to go when you have traumas.

...and in the cult-like situations - it was for the purpose of mind control.  (sorry, this is my issue, not yours)

When someone on YouTube offers me an hour of binaural beats with a pretty opening flower mandala pattern, or zen monk chants with ocean wave visuals - I recognize the pleasure in it.  I could go there.  But I also want to know who made the video, and what was encoded in it for purpose.  Maybe it was nothing, maybe it's just art.  But if I'm in a trance, how do I know the difference?

I have places where I experience this.  Certain music.  Certain rituals.  Mindfulness work can do it - feeling the texture of the sheepskin slippers on my feet. Smelling the night jasmine. Getting my hair done (though that is less pleasurable with less hair!) Watching someone at a spinning wheel or loom.  Clouds.  Flocks of birds.  Rain.  Wind in tree leaves.  The sea.  Setting a table.  Feeling my cat's fur, as she starts to purr.

I try to get there almost every night as I fall asleep.  I call it "watching the insides of my eyelids," usually to music.  When the "ASMR" comes - I see it.  It becomes a substantial thing that I can see and follow, and feel, down, down into sleep.  It's a great way to go!  It's not always reliable, though. But I know, as soon as I "see" it - I'm going to get to sleep before I can even think about it.

I may try some of the AMSR videos, for relaxation and pleasure, or even distraction.  I think they are mostly innocent enough.  The art and bliss of trance. But I think I prefer natural induction - and I am inclined to go into trance for purpose.  And I don't like whispering! 

*PS I don't like the word "trigger," either.  It implies that you have no choice about how you respond / react.  You are triggered, and whatever it is flies out of you like a bullet out of a gun.  But again - that's just me, and good luck me trying to get people to redirect their linguistics when the word is so widely used!

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• Moderator Emeritus

Enya - ultimate audio ASMR:

(for me, anyway.  Especially with earphones)  She manages to capture "whispering" with her vocal style (and it's not "whispering" like "keeping secrets from the deaf girl" annoying like whispers!  :P )

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

• Moderator Emeritus

Okay, I did an experiment with my nightly "ASMR" experience before sleep.

First, I opened up, and felt the tingling (this was to music), and let go into it.  

Then, I tried to take that energy, and the music, and "ride" it into a focused shamanic experience.  These need not be long, sometimes a minute or two is enough to "see" or "hear" or "feel" something.  

But as soon as I "focused" for a purpose - the tingly ASMR feeling went away.  

Either I was right about the "passive / receptive trance state" of ASMR, or I'm not a skilled enough shaman to do both at the same time!  (both are equally plausible!)

I have yet to try ASMR for my depression/anxiety but i am one of the lucky ones to be able to experience ASMR, them tingles man :P

if you are more into whispering and mouth clicking type of ASMR like i am then below are links to some AMAZING youtubers.

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheOneLilium

https://www.youtube.com/user/softlygaloshes

look for anything with 3D sounds/ear to ear kinda stuff... its amazing at giving tingles xD

and dont forget to use headphones.

(November 26 2013) Had a reaction to taking CBD oil and had a panic attack that started this whole thing.

(November 9 2014) 8.6 months on Mirtazapine, started tapering down random amounts.

(January 17 2015) *STOPPED TAKING MIRTAZAPINE* after an unstable 2 month taper.

(February 5 2015) *REINSTATED at 3.9 MG OF MIRTAZAPINE* after nearly 3 weeks of a very unstable windows and waves pattern

(February 5 2015 ) Felt better right away after reinstating, am more stable than i was at 0mg, but am still not as stable as i was PRE-TAPER.

(April 19 2015) After waiting around 2 months from Feb 5 and i started to feel ok enough, i reduced from 3.9 mg to 3.5 mg. then continued to reduce by about .4 mg every 2 or so weeks.

The reductions were going quite smoothly and i wasn't feeling too bad in general... until...

(July 13 2015) Shortly after reducing from 1.9 mg to 1.6 mg i hit a wall and my mood started to become noticeably worse in general

(August 4) after not really improving much i reduced from 1.6 mg to 1.5 mg, and i have been holding ever since.

I feel bad in general these days despite holding, and feel im not too much better than i was during January 17 to February 5 after jumping off at 4 MG.

I am questioning if taking the drug is actually making me worse, i dunno.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy