Endometriosis/ Interstitial Cystitis?

NoMeaning25

Im having a very difficult time since stopping antidepressants. I am dealing with these symptoms and wondered if i might have the above as the symptoms are the same. Interestingly, Interstitial Cystitis is treated with antidepressants.... 

Ok, here we go again:

- Stomach bloating (My stomach looks swollen all the time, i look pregnant. Lines even formed on my lower abdomen)

- Severe Pelvic pain (especially on the right side. My whole pelvis is painful and feels like pressure, but the right side more painful)

- Bladder pain (My bladder feels tender when i touch it too, i have bladder and pelvic pain which is severe)

- Constipation (can go days without BM, then when i have a BM its painful)

- Mucous in stool

- Feels like i don't completely empty my bowels

- Upper abdomen has a dull pain sometimes. Almost like when its Christmas and you've eaten yourself overfull.

- Pain during intercourse (Pressure pain, feels like there is gas trapped in my stomach and ******, especially near the end of my colon (Anus) Intercourse is very very uncomfortable and painful. I sometimes get stitch pains on the sides of my stomach as well, especially right hand side

- Frequent urination (I need to pee often, it feels like i don't empty my bladder, almost like urine retention. During intercourse my bladder is also painful)

- Sometimes my colon feels like its vibrating

- Alot of gas, it doesnt want to come out, only sometimes in small amounts

- Extreme Fatigue

- General unwell feeling

- When i eat, i have alot of cramping sometimes

- Heart palpitations after eating

- Stressful situations make my symptoms (Pelvic pain etc) Worse

- Vulvodynia (Not so much pain, but extreme sensitivity)

- Candida

There are probably more things but these are the main ones. What should i do? Im sorry but this is unacceptable living like this for so long. I never had any of this. Never i was healthy before i stopped my antidepressants. Now im in constant pain and im wondering what diseases i have. How is it possible that my whole body is shutting down like this????

Could this maybe be Pelvic inflammatory disease or maybe extremely severe IBS???

Well, im going to add healthy foods to my diet and slowly transition to the anti-histamine diet and see how it goes.

Please if anyone has insight i would really appreciate it as i am really lost. Im only 25 how can i have all these problems. I was fine and now it feels like i have every condition under the sun. Im in alot of pain the pelvic pain is constant.

I also have frequent bladder infections and even if no infection is present i have the same symptoms. My leukocytes are always 50 000 - 80 -00 in my urine and then nothing grows. What on earth name should i do????? 

Was on Citalopram 20mg since Feb 2008 - switched to Paxil 20mg in August 2010

Tapered way too fast in April 2012 by skipping days. Taper completed in 6 weeks

Tried prozac 20mg for 3 days - felt spaced out, not better.

Tried 30mg Cymbalta for 2 days. SEVERE ADVERSE REACTION

Antidepressant free since 14 August 2012

Birth control on and off during this time - Last taken 18 June 2017 - Morning after pill 

Started mainly using 0.5mg Xanax beginning 2016 for severe panic attacks and anxiety due to trauma

Xanax on and off never more than 0.5mg at a time, never taking it 3 days in a row - used sparingly 

6 Years antidepressant free - Still in severe withdrawal with over 60 symptoms

Severe setback started May 2018 with no let up to date. Developed many new symptoms like tremors, inner vibrations, insomnia, visual distortions and dr/dp are 100x worse, i have severe sensitivity to movement, My dizziness and vertigo got worse and it now feels like im constantly rocking on a boat, my anxiety is sky high, suicidal idiation is back, i feel extremely brain damaged 

http://www.ichelp.org/page.aspx?pid=378

Why am I being prescribed antidepressants for my IC?

When a healthcare provider prescribes an antidepressant to treat your IC, she/he is using them for their effects on specific IC symptoms such as urinary urgency, frequency, nighttime voiding, and pelvic pain, not for their antidepressant effects. Antidepressants have long been used to treat many chronic pain conditions, including IC. 

Birth control on and off during this time - Last taken 18 June 2017 - Morning after pill 

Started mainly using 0.5mg Xanax beginning 2016 for severe panic attacks and anxiety due to trauma

Xanax on and off never more than 0.5mg at a time, never taking it 3 days in a row - used sparingly 

Severe setback started May 2018 with no let up to date. Developed many new symptoms like tremors, inner vibrations, insomnia, visual distortions and dr/dp are 100x worse, i have severe sensitivity to movement, My dizziness and vertigo got worse and it now feels like im constantly rocking on a boat, my anxiety is sky high, suicidal idiation is back, i feel extremely brain damaged 

Medfree......my daughter has IC and it is an autoimmune disease of the bladder.  We make frequent trips to the ER.

We found a female Urologist here who treats it.  Initially (before seeing this doctor) she was treated with pain medication and became addicted to it.  She was able to get off of it.

My daughter started a group on FB.....I will send you the name.

She had a chronic problem with it and has been in remission for about two years now.  She does get frequent infections and was at the doctor's yesterday for one.

She has had her bladder stretched.  Hydro distension and she went for a series of treatments over a six week period. It was an instillation process which was painful, but it worked.

There is a supplement D-mannose which helps......I have to go to work, but I will check in with you again.  There is a support group online that she joined.

Hugs

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Nikki, thank you. Could you maybe tell me what symptoms she had?

• 9 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Oh, ny GOD!!! I was diagnosed with IC and that's why I was put on these MURDEROUS medications.

Now, years later, I suspect the doctors misdiagnosed the IC and that they murdered me with these meds for NO reason.  I KNOW I have pelvic floor muscle dysfunction, which causes the EXACT SAME symptoms as IC.  Now, I am getting pelvic physical therapy, showing some improvement, and am SO angry because if those incompetent doctors had helped me find a physical therapist years ago, I NEVER would have gone on medication EVER.

I used to have ONE medical problem.  Now, because of these antidepressants, I have many medical problems AND cognitive impairment.

*I'm not a doctor and don't give medical advice, just personal experience
**Off all meds since Nov. 2014. Mentally & emotionally recovered; physically not
-Dual cold turkeys off TCA & Ativan in Oct 2014. Prescribed from 2011-2014

-All meds were Rxed off-label for an autoimmune illness.  It was a MISDIAGNOSIS, but I did not find out until AFTER meds caused damage.  All med tapers/cold turkeys directed by doctors 

-Nortriptyline May 2012 - Dec 2013. Cold turkey off nortrip & cold switched to desipramine

-Desipramine Jan 2014 - Oct. 29, 2014 (rapid taper/cold turkey)

-Lorazepam 1 mg per night during 2011
-Lorazepam 1 mg per month in 2012 (or less)

-Lorazepam on & off, Dec 2013 through Aug 2014. Didn't exceed 3x a week

-Lorazepam again in Oct. 2014 to help get off of desipramine. Last dose lzpam was 1 mg, Nov. 2, 2014. Immediate paradoxical reactions to benzos after stopping TCAs 

-First muscle/dystonia side effects started on nortriptyline, but docs too stupid to figure it out. On desipramine, muscle tremors & rigidity worsened

-Two weeks after I got off all meds, I developed full-blown TD.  Tardive dystonia, dyskinesia, myoclonic jerks ALL over body, ribcage wiggles, facial tics, twitching tongue & fingers, tremors/twitches of arms, legs, cognitive impairment, throat muscles semi-paralyzed & unable to swallow solid food, brain zaps, ears ring, dizzy, everything looks too far away, insomnia, numbness & electric shocks everywhere when I try to fall asleep, jerk awake from sleep with big, gasping breaths, wake with terrors & tremors, severely depressed.  NO HISTORY OF DEPRESSION, EVER. Meds CREATED it.

-Month 7: hair falling out; no vision improvement; still tardive dystonia; facial & tongue tics returned
-Month 8: back to acute, incl. Grand Mal seizure-like episodes. New mental torment, PGAD, worse insomnia
-Month 9: tardive dystonia worse, dyskinesia returned. Unable to breathe well due to dystonia in stomach, chest, throat
-Month 13: Back to acute, brain zaps back, developed eczema & stomach problems. Left leg no longer works right due to dystonia, meaning both legs now damaged
-7 years off: Huge improvements, incl. improved dystonia

I developed IC while on Lexepro, also bkadder retention.

The bladder retention has been amplified during this WD.

Also, when I get constipated ( this may be too graphic) but I can feel I'm not getting it all out. It feels stuck in my rectum and it hurts.

Awful. I had to take Miralax when I was on Lexepro

D-Mannose is a very good supplement to prevent and treat infection

2005-Zoloft bad reaction.....2006-Lexepro......2012-Upped Lexepro.......2013-Upped Lexepro......2/2014- Attempted Taper Lexepro...2/2014- Updosed Lexepro.......3/2014-Ativan.....5/2014- CT switch from Lexpro to Effexor.....

5/2014-7/2014-Tapered Ativan from 1mg to .25mg.....6/2014-Bad reaction to Effexor........7/2014- Rapid taper Effexor every other day......7/5/2014- Off Effexor.......7/2014-12/2014 - Ativan .25mg.......12/25/2014 -Taper Ativan by 4% due to paradoxical reaction .24mg...11/18/2015-Taper Ativan 1% CURRENTLY ON: .2376mg Ativan taken in 6 .0396mg doses.

• 1 year later...

Im having a very difficult time since stopping antidepressants. I am dealing with these symptoms and wondered if i might have the above as the symptoms are the same. Interestingly, Interstitial Cystitis is treated with antidepressants.... 

Ok, here we go again:

- Stomach bloating (My stomach looks swollen all the time, i look pregnant. Lines even formed on my lower abdomen)

- Severe Pelvic pain (especially on the right side. My whole pelvis is painful and feels like pressure, but the right side more painful)

- Bladder pain (My bladder feels tender when i touch it too, i have bladder and pelvic pain which is severe)

- Constipation (can go days without BM, then when i have a BM its painful)

- Mucous in stool

- Feels like i don't completely empty my bowels

- Upper abdomen has a dull pain sometimes. Almost like when its Christmas and you've eaten yourself overfull.

- Pain during intercourse (Pressure pain, feels like there is gas trapped in my stomach and ******, especially near the end of my colon (Anus) Intercourse is very very uncomfortable and painful. I sometimes get stitch pains on the sides of my stomach as well, especially right hand side

- Frequent urination (I need to pee often, it feels like i don't empty my bladder, almost like urine retention. During intercourse my bladder is also painful)

- Sometimes my colon feels like its vibrating

- Alot of gas, it doesnt want to come out, only sometimes in small amounts

- Extreme Fatigue

- General unwell feeling

- When i eat, i have alot of cramping sometimes

- Heart palpitations after eating

- Stressful situations make my symptoms (Pelvic pain etc) Worse

- Vulvodynia (Not so much pain, but extreme sensitivity)

- Candida

There are probably more things but these are the main ones. What should i do? Im sorry but this is unacceptable living like this for so long. I never had any of this. Never i was healthy before i stopped my antidepressants. Now im in constant pain and im wondering what diseases i have. How is it possible that my whole body is shutting down like this????

Could this maybe be Pelvic inflammatory disease or maybe extremely severe IBS???

Well, im going to add healthy foods to my diet and slowly transition to the anti-histamine diet and see how it goes.

Please if anyone has insight i would really appreciate it as i am really lost. Im only 25 how can i have all these problems. I was fine and now it feels like i have every condition under the sun. Im in alot of pain the pelvic pain is constant.

I also have frequent bladder infections and even if no infection is present i have the same symptoms. My leukocytes are always 50 000 - 80 -00 in my urine and then nothing grows. What on earth name should i do????? 

NoMeaning25 - since you posted this, have you had a diagnosis for the above symptoms?

The reason I ask is your symptoms listed above are EXACTLY what I have.

The last time I experienced this was earlier this year when we moved back to the UK from Canada.  The stress of the move triggered it (I also had similar symptoms when we were still in Canada at the end of last year).  So each time I have had it (3 times now), it has been triggered by stress which would suggest it is autoimmune.

I haven't had a formal "Interstitial Cystitis" diagnosis, and the docs always diagnose cystitis and prescribe ABs.  The urine analysis always comes back negative, with no blood present (unless its my time of the month).

In the end, it just went away on its own, but at the time I thought I either had a permanent UTI or some kind of cancer.  My menstrual cycle earlier this year was completely out of whack for a few months, I missed one period, and another one went on for 2 weeks.  I totally freaked out and almost went for a pelvic scan.

Interesting that you mention Candida, as I have had thrush for 3 months now, and will have to get swabbed to determine what kind of bacteria is causing the itching as the standard 2% creams and even the pessaries aren't getting rid of it.

More importantly, I had NEVER suffered from cystitis symptoms or indeed "IC" IN MY LIFE, until ADs came on to the scene, and this all started AFTER I had tapered off the Cipralex completely in September 2015 (last year).

Earlier this year I took D-Mannose for a while, and I am trying to combat the "IC" with a more alkaline diet, and I am also going to experiment with a natural AB when I feel the pain and twinges.

How are you now??

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

Re-located to UK from Canada: Jan 2016

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy