lizawood withdrawing from neurontin

lizawood

I am having horrible withdrawals from neurontinand feel like I am dying Can anyone help me I have noone to stay with me .I was taking 2400 a day and was misusing it and ran out before it was time to get filled.

• Moderator Emeritus

I am having horrible withdrawals from neurontin and feel like I am dying Can anyone help me

Hi Liza... could you give us more information to go on... how long were you on neurontin, did you taper down or go off abruptly, if you tapered, how long were you reducing the dose, when did you take the last dose and how much was that.. also, are you on any other psych meds. 

Glad you decided to stop in to post... you'll get real guidance here.

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

I am 51 yrs old and sick of having this poison in my body. If I can make it through this,I want to stop the others . I don't even know who I really am

• Administrator

If you just quit cold turkey from 2400mg Neurontin, if I were you, I'd immediately get that prescription filled and go back on the 2400mg per day.

If necessary, go to the emergency room and tell them you have withdrawal symptoms.

Your withdrawal symptoms from Neurontin may last a long time. To reduce the withdrawal symptoms, please reinstate the full amount, 2400mg, stabilize for a month or so, and then very gradually reduce -- see http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2309-tips-on-tapering-neurontin-gabapentin/

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I can't get it filled till the 1st . I don't have a car I just have to try and go through this alone

Anything you can suggest will help .

• Administrator

Go immediately to an emergency room or clinic.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

can  you ask a neighbor?  or call for emergency service.....even a police car.....I can't think of anyone else.

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

• Moderator Emeritus

Lisa... no one is mocking you.  I'm not sure how you got that? We are very concerned... you dropped suddenly off a high dose of gabapentin and we are afraid you will become very ill.  If there is anyone you can think of... anyone who would give you a hand, do ask for assistance.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Lisa,

I'm sorry you felt that we weren't taking you seriously, its understandable, withdrawal can cause distorted thinking.  We are actually very concerned, but being an internet support site, there isn't a great deal we can do to help besides offer advice.  Mine is the same as what you have already been given, please do whatever you can to get back on your medication as soon as possible,  if that means going to the ER, then try and find a way to get there, could you get a cab?

We can help you to taper properly when you do get back on your medication.  Please let us know how you are doing.

Petu.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Administrator

• Moderator Emeritus

I went cold turkey off 1200 mg of Neurontin in 2009 and became very ill with insomnia, anxiety, intense suicidality and extremely disordered thinking.

In dealing with the withdrawal effects, I ended up on 300 mg of Neurontin plus two more new drugs, which I have been tapering off since 2010.  

I know none of that helps, but you have my sympathy.

If you still want to come off your meds eventually, you will need to stabilize first, which will take a while. After this much time off the Neurontin you may be able to stabilize at a lower dose, say 1800 mg or so, in which case you can save the extra medication for tapering in the future.

However, please be careful not to take more than your daily dose, or bounce around on dosages, or "misuse" it again.

I say "misuse" with quotation marks because when I was on a high dose of Neurontin my judgment and thinking and impulse control were absolutely devastated, and I was on less than you are. I have had to forgive myself for many things I did under the influence of psychiatric drugs including Neurontin.  Please be gentle with yourself.

This has become easier as I have come down on my dosages of the drugs and I can now see how badly they ruined my judgment and in fact caused me to think and behave in ways that I never would have done without them.

Please try to remember how much you have suffered though and maybe this will help you to keep your dose consistent and steady. Please keep your daily dose consistent and steady until you are feeling much better. Try to take the same amount at the same times every day. Divide up your daily total and take some about every six to eight hours if you can.

Good luck to you!

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

Thank you for your help . I am sorry for being a jerk. I have went this far without it I am going to try and ride it out . If I can ever get through this the Wellbutrin is next. Again thanks for everything

• Administrator

Please do not cold-turkey any other psychiatric drug. You are running the risk of serious long-term nervous system dysregulation.

Yes, you are right . I will make sure that I taper next. I am having a lot of anxiety or strange thoughts. Its like something bad is going to happen . Is this normal?. Am I going crazy?I can't go back on the neurotim. I misuse it to cover up feelings of my childhood,I guess .I am moving Monday .I don't know how to physically handle it .I can barely get up and brush my teeth .

• Administrator

If you can get generic Neurontin, I would still reinstate a low dose. You've taken a huge risk quitting it.

Yes, those feelings of doom can be part of withdrawal syndrome.

I don't have any refills.I thought I did .My doctor quit and went to new job . I would start back if I could .If I could get some I would take them right now if it would stop these thoughts. I don't have kids or family of any kind .I have only lived here about a year. I thought it would be easier but its not .I. am a loner and have never had any friends It would be nice to have one now. Sorry didn't mean to give some sad story .

• Administrator

Any doctor can write the prescription for Neurontin, or its generic. If you go to the emergency room and tell them you're in withdrawal, they will help you.

I finally got some neurotin. I am feeling so much better . Thank you,Alto for being with me through this . This is the greatest website ever! I will be able to move on

Monday .Again,Thank you and God bless

• Moderator Emeritus

That is great news Liza, I am so relieved you have more neurontin and I guess 

the others are relieved too.  I'm glad it's working and you are feeling better.  :)

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Moderator Emeritus

I finally got some neurotin. I am feeling so much better . Thank you,Alto for being with me through this . This is the greatest website ever! I will be able to move on

Monday .Again,Thank you and God bless

Liza, terrific news.. I'm sooooo glad you got another script. Excellent.. I'll bet you do feel MUCH better. I'm tapering off Lyrica, which is a neurontin cousin. Not stuff you can fool around with.

Skyler

• Administrator

You're welcome, Liza. How did you get the Neurontin? How much are you taking now?