jrod Only 5 weeks on low dose remeron

Jrod

Hi:

went on low dose of remeron 3.75 to 4 mg nightly for sleep & aid with benzo withdrawal. Been off benzos for 65 days. The reason I stoped remeron was because the last 4 nights after dose , anxiety reaction would take hold. I stop ct at 4 mg.

11 days later (yesterday)all hell broke loose. Started in the middle of the night, chills, depression, no sleep, anxiety,headache,tinnitus,nausea,no appetite & rise in blood pressure. Don't know if I should tough it out and hope it passes soon or go back on 2 mg then taper.

Has anyone with short term use at low doses experience these symptoms? How long can they last and do the WD symptoms get easier with time?

Thk you jrod

Please go back.

i was on a low dose remeron for 5 weeks then cold turkeyed

i am on the verge of suicide ever since

getting worse

cannot reinstate so if you can do not hesitate

Put on trazadone for 8 weeks. Psychic akathisia started on 100 mg. Not a single doctor believed me telling me it is all anxiety in my head. Terrible suicidal urges. Got voluntary hospitalised. Acknoledged adverse reaction, put me off cold turkey. Instalated mirtazapine to block the reaction of trazadone. 5 weeks on mirtazapine.acathisia worsened, suicidal, homicidal urges. Nobody believed. Finally they stopped mirtazapine cold turkey. My heighest dose of trazadone was 200 mg, of mirtazapine 30 mg. Since the c/t, suicidal, acathisia continuing.

tried promethazine for sleep. Tried atarax. Currently taking klonopin for 10 days. Good for sleep, but my condition worsening. Unable to tell if it is klonopin or a bad wave.

In the former hospital i took twice gabapentin. It should be all my medication.

i was offered promethazin for sleep 25 mg and also small amount of quetiapine. Both are antipsychotics, even if ptomethszin very weak. Terribly afraid.

I too have a history of benzo use. For me withdrawal from each mirtazapine taper takes about a month. I jumped of mirtazapine at 2.5 mg 4 days ago so i do not really know what to expect being of completely but i suspect it will be like a rough taper.

Anxiety reaction after mirtazapine dose smells like you are starting to get a reversed reaction. Going back to 2 mg might reduce some of your wd symptoms, sleep, blood pressure, nausea.

I find it very important when tapering mirtazapine to pace myself, be cautious of stress, not do any high intensity workouts or highly physical work. When you reduce dose of mirtazapine the stress hormones cortisol and adrenaline gets elevated. Anything that lowers stress like relaxation, deep breathing, resting, slow walks, meditation is good. You do not want to ad to the drug induced stress with additional stressors.

I am taking a small dose of an antihistamine for sleep right now. As mirtazapine works like an antihistamine also, I'm  currently replacing the antihistamine part of mirtazapine withdrawal. Will taper of the antihistamine later on. Antihistamine might help a little with sleep, nausea and appetite.

2010: Mirtazapine 30mg followed by Zopiclone 7.5 mg for sleep post surgery due to pain.
2012-> Tapering Mirtazapine and Zopiclone at different rates unsuccessfully.
2013: Hospitalized 10 days due to complete Insomnia. Forced back up to 45mg Mirtazapine, 7.5 mg Zopiclone and also Theralene 1 ml.
2013-03: Lab showed Vitamin D deficient. Found the vitamin d and insomnia connection. Supplementing vitamin d. Sleep improved by 1-2 hours
2013-04: Dropped mirtazapine to 30 due to severe side effects. Quit Theralene. Zopiclone 7.5.
2013-05 - 2013-11: Mirtazapine taper monthly 25 20 15 11 8 4 2.5 mg
2013-12 Holding M at 2.5. Need to taper Zopiclone due to daytime nausea and vomiting. Taper zopiclone 1/4 red every 5 d. Last Z 2013-12-19
2013-12-31 M:2.5. Reinstated Zopiclone 3.75 due to Insomnia
2014-01-06 M:2.5. Taper Z 1.9 ... 2014-01-14 M:2.5. Z 1 mg.
Jumped of Zopiclone 01-20. Jumped mirtazapine 02-16.

Theralene: 10mg 02-09. 8mg 03-09. 5mg 03-15. 4mg 03-24. 3mg 04-08. Jumped 04-21.
Zopiclone free for 251 days. Mirtazapine free for 224 days.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Jrod, welcome to SA. I don't know very much about Remeron but I do know that it is

not good to cold turkey any psychiatric drug so I would reinstate to minimise the 

withdrawal, then taper very slowly.   I've seen so many people here who are in

withdrawal and wouldn't wish it on anyone! 

I hope that you consider it and feel better very soon. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Hi Jrod....

I am not familiar with remeron but like Mamap said could turkey from any of these drugs is risky.  Wulfgar and Wolfhound are giving you the benefit of their experience which is what this site is about.....if you can reinstate do it now.  It should really help take the edge off of your present experience.

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

• Administrator

Welcome, jrod.

I agree, I would go back on 2mg, stabilize for at least a month, and then taper.

Here's our topic on tapering Remeron http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/5301-tips-for-tapering-off-remeron-mirtazapine/

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.