Apple123

Low-dose naltrexone -- LDN anyone ?

Celeste

Thanks for the suggestion Alto. I'm not sure that it's that though. I do not get the same reaction from eating a banana. I'm thinking it could be the caffeine. I do not consume it regularly and the chocolate could have given me that little energy boost. I have decided to not try the LDN, at least for now. I have been set back from a large amount of stress due to a big stressful move. I'm dealing with WD symptoms I haven't seen in a while so I'm not really up to anymore "experimenting."

Altostrata

At any rate, chocolate is yummy. If it makes you feel good, all the better.

Fresh

I've been looking into LDN therapy and am going to give it a trial.

Lexy , I think it's a great shame that you were advised to take 0.5mg twice a day rather than once. ("Last night I took .5 twice a day. It made me feel like I had had two/three shots of alcohol, dizziness, slurred speech, feeling stuck to the couch.")

My intention is to stick with 0.5mg once a day for a few weeks to see how I tolerate it.

The facebook groups have lots of info. , as do sites like www.lowdosenaltrexone.org

Lexy

Let us know how it goes for you.

Fresh

Hi Lexy , so glad you saw this. Was there a reason for doubling the dose? Given our sensitivities ,

I'm wondering if I shouldn't start at even lower , 0.25 , and see how that goes.

I have Hashimotos and take thyroid meds. every day , so I need to titrate that down.

Am having a full blood panel done , so that in 6 months time I'll have objective data to assess if there's been an improvement in function ,as well as my subjective impression.

I do realize that 50% of folks say it hasn't helped them , and I may need to push through some uncomfortable symptoms initially.

Lexy

As a matter of fact, my doctor who diagnosed withdrawal syndrome from effexor admitted that he should have started me on even a lower dose. He mentioned .05mg however by the. I just wanted off. It took weeks of feeling the drunken, swaying feeling.

Remember to always start low and steady. I stayed on it for 2 weeks, not sure if it would have worked if I would have given it another two weeks.

Celeste

Hi Fresh. I am also ready to try LDN but am a little nervous because I'm hyper sensitive. Please keep us updated. I'm in a few of the Facebook groups and I've heard of really sensitive people dosing every 2 to 3 days. From what I've read in one of the groups, it can take some people longer to clear it. If I decide to go with it, I'll definitely start at .25 once a day. 

Fresh

Thanks Celeste.    I believe it's a safer practice to take a dose each day , albeit tiny.  Cross your fingers for me   :D .

Fresh

Well , I've been taking LDN for 5 weeks now with a noticeable improvement in mood and sleep.

I started at 0.5mg for a week , then 1mg for a week , then 1.5mg (holding there).

About 10 days ago my dreams became more vivid and my sleep more restless , so I moved the

dose to mornings as recommended.

Big difference , am no longer having restless sleep. Have still had a couple of nights where

I wake at 3 and don't go back to sleep for a few hours , but the quality is improving.

I actually don't feel exhausted when I wake up lately.

I've also still had wipeout days after doing too much for a few days. Like , I went out last

Thursday and Friday and again Friday night , then slept most of Saturday. Out on Sunday ,

slept most of Monday. No quick fixes , but I feel I'm on an upwards trajectory.

:)

Celeste

So happy that this is helping you Fresh!! I haven't tried yet...I've crashed my system with stress yet again so just waiting for it to calm down a bit before I experiment.

chrona

i did ldn 10 years or so ago.  i remember loving it but i can't totally remember why.  one thing for sure was that my sleep felt wonderful.  i would feel deliciously sleepy and luxuriate into sleep.  i know i took it several years.  i had hashimoto's and cfs.  a lot was going on in my life back then.  i think i just stopped because i was bored with it.  it's subtle, it doesn't hit you over the head.  sleeping really well, feeling relaxed perhaps isn't big enough news to keep me making up little bottles and withdrawing with a syringe.   now i am doing that again because i feel awful. 

honestly i wish i had kept it up and perhaps being prescribed gabapentin the devil drug for neuropathy and some minor stuff would not have happened. 

i am starting it again tonight.  found some old pills.

really works for ms apparently.  

Area1255

LDN is typically to boost endorphin levels.

JanCarol

My doc just prescribed it for me - for its anti-inflammatory properties.

Lordy, I went around to some of the Low Dose Naltrexone sites, and it sounds like the best thing since sliced bread!

I'm nervous about it though.  Anything that fiddles neurotransmitters - even the endorphin ones - makes me a bit nervous.  I'm  also concerned that it won't address my pain - and I cannot take codeine while on it.  Some people say the codeine will make me sick.  Others say it will just not work. 

Did my first dose tonight - too early to tell.  I'm on 1 mg at night.

I'm supposed to double it after 3 weeks if I'm still struggling with my pain issues.

alejirbag

My brain is in state of terrible withdrawal that are exchanging with symptoms from Serotonin syndrome. I was suggested Ldn an took it in desperation of my horror state. I was on it 2 months 3 mg. At the begging I noticed nothing. Over time my eyes symptoms ( from serotonin syndrome) became more often and I have started experiencing new eyes symptoms. At the same time I have started feeling better at so much things so I couldn't figure it out, am I getting better or worse, until 2nd month of using when I developed all symptoms from Serotonin syndrome again, I had to stop LDN abruptly and started vomiting and being cold like in acute withdrawal. I could not find official link that explains LDN effects on serotonin system. I found on some forum that people who took LDN together with AD have developed Serotonin syndrome. Obviously there is connection. In my experience anyone with history of Serotonin syndrome don't take it!  

alejirbag

When I think now, its logical, everything that boosts endorphins could boosts other things like serotonin

So generally that could be good therapy for withdrawal symptoms and for help in tapering process from AD maybe and benzo. But there is risk for Serotonin syndrome. My eyes receptors are upregulated and oversensitized due to being in unrecognized Serotonin syndrome for over a month. So maybe I am not good to compare with but anyway be cautious

JanCarol

It's now been 6 months.  My dose has gradually crept up to 4 mg.  I'd keep it at 3.5 mg, but I have so many 2 mg capsules it's just easier to take 2x2mg than it would be to take a 2 mg, a 1 mg, and a 0.5 mg (and I need a new script to get those lower amounts).

Overall - my IBS has improved immensely - I would say I'm almost normal there.

My tinnitus has gone through the roof .

My pain is better - an injury is taking 3 months to recover instead of 6 or more months.

I am able to be more active, and recover more quickly.

Apparently if you take any gluten at all while on this, it will bite you.  I don't know why that is, but I got diagnosed "celiac susceptible" so I'm being extra cautious.  It does seem that if I get any wheat - I get sicker quicker than before.

I'm inclined to continue.  I don't think it's a miracle - but for "chronic fatigue" and "fibromyalgia"-like symptoms, it has helped reduce some of the challenges.

Terry4949

I’m writing this in regards to speaking to jancarol in a earlier message and I am not saying that this a cure in any means and that people who wish to try it please use the wealth of knowledge on here when approaching any form of supplement or medication . I have a female friend who I havnt seen for a while who was on seroquel at a high dose I believe she was on it for about 4 years she felt well and not knowing anything about withdrawel and just stopped as you can imagine I thought wow how can that be possible she told me she was fine never felt better, for the first 4 months then things started to go down hill for her over the next month we know this to be withdrawel so she was talking to a friend who recommended ldn and so my friend started it and says she feels great and has had no problems with withdrawals since she has now been of seroquel for 10 months c/t , maybe my friend was just very lucky and I believe she was but maybe ldn May have help alleviate some of the pain and discomfort from a taper I don’t know . My friend was probably lucky enough not to be in protracted withdrawel as we know this is when real problems start . Again I am not telling people that we should all rush out and get ldn and it’s a cure I think if it was alto would have let us know years ago , if you wish to try it start a very small amount but as I have found even the tiniest amounts of supplements can be progmatic . I have thought about trying it my self but I can’t even take fish oil I’m that sensitive maybe in time

Altostrata

Bumping -- anyone else have experience with LDN?