SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

MusicMan23: off Effexor, now on citalopram

MusicMan23

Hi everyone and Alto!

A few months back (nov. 2013) I was prescribed 150mg Effexor because my depression wasn't "responding" to citalopram 40mg after a 'nervous breakdown'. Come to find out it was actually a horrible reaction that I was having to Ambien . . . horrible anxiety, fear and depression - suicidal thoughts. Anyway, I am beyond all that now, praise God.

However, I noted that I did not respond particularly well to the Effexor . . . dry eyes, dry mouth, ear pain and flu-like symptoms were just some of the fun I experienced while trying to acclimate to the medicine. I did some research and decided that I wanted off of this stuff, and knew the best way to do it quickly was to cross-taper back to citalopram, which I had been on many times in my past. I did it over a period of four weeks (150 down to 112.5 then to 75 then to 37.5 of effexor while dosing up from 10 to 20 to 30 to 40 of citalopram). I avoided the horrible effects of withdrawal for the most part, except for headaches, but now I'm three weeks out from completing the cross taper and I'm just now having extreme fatigue (even though I'm sleeping again 6 hrs or so / night) and droopy, painful, strained / fatigued eyes. I don't feel like I wake up until the afternoon some days! It comes and goes too, not consistently every day - varies in intensity.

My question is, is this normal to have a delay of symptoms even after a (seemingly) successful cross taper of medicines? My long term goal is to get completely off of citalopram (been on it off and on since 1998) . . . and I will be doing that VERY, VERY slowly, beginning six months from now.

Just want to make sure that it is withdrawal from Effexor and not some other health issue. I should also note that I never had any vision problems before Effexor, and have been checked by an eye doctor - no issues, 20/20 vision. I am 33 yrs old.

Thanks for all your help and responses!!

Edited by scallywag
tags

1999: First put on SSRI - Citalopram 40mg.

2012-2014: Then to Zoloft - panic attack & then CT. Life spiraled out of control. Then Ambien - got off. Then Effexor. Cross tapered back to Citalopram 40mg from Effexor, then down to 20mg (05/2014). Everything scared me so much that I didn't further reduce for 2 years.

Past 3 years

10/2016: Down to 10 mg Citalopram from 20mg. Obviously way fast. Again. 🙄

12/2016: Updose to 15 mg due to symptoms.

~Mid 2018: Down to 10mg from 15 mg. I keep forgetting that I need to go slow.🙄

03/2019: Continuing at 10mg. In and out of bouts with fatigue. Intend to stay here for a bit.

Have been steadily on Magnesium Glycinate since 2014. 240 - 480 mg at dinner.

I should also state that the eye pain / strain does develop into a headache, but only rarely. Also, my eyes are slow-moving sometimes.

2012-2014: Then to Zoloft - panic attack & then CT. Life spiraled out of control. Then Ambien - got off. Then Effexor. Cross tapered back to Citalopram 40mg from Effexor, then down to 20mg (05/2014). Everything scared me so much that I didn't further reduce for 2 years.

Past 3 years

03/2019: Continuing at 10mg. In and out of bouts with fatigue. Intend to stay here for a bit.

• Administrator

Welcome, MusicMan23

I did it over a period of four weeks (150 down to 112.5 then to 75 then to 37.5 of effexor while dosing up from 10 to 20 to 30 to 40 of citalopram). I avoided the horrible effects of withdrawal for the most part, except for headaches, but now I'm three weeks out from completing the cross taper and I'm just now having extreme fatigue (even though I'm sleeping again 6 hrs or so / night) and droopy, painful, strained / fatigued eyes.

It sounds to me like you might have gone up too high on the citalopram. 40mg is a hefty dose.

How long have you been taking 40mg?

Edited by Petu
name change

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thanks for respjnding, Alto. Well, I don't think it's the citalopram, as I've been on 40mg of citalopram for a total of 14 years ... and I don't recall ever having eye issues. However, with the effexor dry eyes we one of the first side effects I had. Unless my body has somehow become more sensitive to citalopram now than in the past?

Thanks again for your time.

Past 3 years

Oh, and it's been3 weeks since I've been back on citalopram this time.

Past 3 years

• Administrator

Yes, going on and off drugs is traumatic to the nervous system, you might be more sensitive to citalopram now.

How long have you been at 40mg citalopram? If it's been only a week or so, you might decrease by 10mg.

See http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2023-tips-for-tapering-off-celexa-citalopram/

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Oh, really? I've been on it at 40 mg for 3 weeks now. Should I just wait it out at this point, or should I really consider reducing it to 30 mg? Don't want to create more havoc. Thanks again -

Past 3 years

It should subside either way though, right?

Past 3 years

• Administrator

With any drug, what's best for your body is taking the lowest effective dose. Side effects are dosage-related. Lower dosage, lower side effects. This also means you will have less to taper.

Although we are inculcated with the belief that more is better when it comes to psychiatric drugs, this is untrue. The myth about the drugs needing 6 weeks to "work" was promoted by pharmaceutical companies to keep people on the drugs past the side effects.

Higher doses of citalopram are associated with heart problems. There is no reason for you to continue to take a high dose of citalopram if a low dose would have fewer side effects and still forestall withdrawal symptoms.

So, do you think I've been at 40 mg too long at this point to step back down to 30 mg? Again, it's been 3 weeks at 40 mg.

Past 3 years

• Administrator

You might try decreasing by 5mg every 4 days.

• Moderator Emeritus

Delayed withdrawal symptoms are common with ADs, so it makes sense that it might be possible to have delayed symptoms from a cross taper as well.

I would listen to Alto's advice regarding AD dosing. At least maybe try reducing by 5 mg and see what happens. 

I totally agree with your plan to stabilize on a workable dose of citalopram and then begin a safe and manageable taper. It might not actually take a full six months, but in my experience it's always better to err on the side of conservative, when it comes to drug withdrawal. (And that is very much NOT my inherent personality, I got here the hard way!)

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• Administrator

Switching drugs doesn't always work, and you get withdrawal symptoms from the first drug even if you're on another.

It seems you have had adverse effects from all the drugs you've tried. Please consider carefully going off all psychiatric drugs and utilizing non-drug treatments for your "depression."

This is a forum for going off drugs. We can't recommend what drugs to go onto if you are planning long-term drug treatment. Switching drugs carries risks, as you have discovered.

Alto, please don't misunderstand. I have no intention of remaining on medicene. I started this thread to try and understand some symptoms of switching from effexor to citalopram. I simply want the symptoms to abate so that I can stabilize before coming off of the ADs permanently.

Past 3 years

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi jb, Welcome! Sorry you're struggling with this, hopefully you'll feel better soon.

I was looking at your signature and noticed you weaned off the Ambien - December2013 and started the Effexor - at same time...if that's what happened, how did you know for sure which were side effects and which were WDs?

It does sound like you react adversely to psych drugs. It will get better but it takes time.

• Administrator

That's a very good point, Tezza.

Hi Tezza, thanks for your input. I guess I don't know for sure, except that side effects /WD symptoms from each appear to fit neatly with what I experienced; for example, the ear thing is all but undocumented with ambien, whereas effexor is known to be ototoxic. Regardless, it sounds like the fatigue and and eye issues are brought on by medicene, which is the reason I started this thread to begin with. And the eye pain has subsided a bit already, which leads me to believe that the fatigue and dry eyes will follow suit shortly. I'm praying that it does so that I can stabilize for a few months to let my life get back to normal ... and then I can begin the process to get off this junk for good.

I will say that I still have trouble believing that, while in the 14 years I was on citalopram at 40mg I never had any discernable issues, I might just now be having an adverse response. I guess 'stranger things have happened'. . .

Anyway, thank you all for your input and care for my well being.

God bless - :)

Past 3 years

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone, shortly after my last post I tapered down to 20mg citalopram. I think it definitely helped, but I still have extreme fatigue somedays, and it doesn't appear to correlate to how well or poorly I've slept the night before. So I'm just wondering, is this fatigue 'par for the course' since I've come off of so many different drugs in the past few months and decreased the AD? It's been about 2 months now. I'm ready to have energy again!! Thx everyone!

Past 3 years

• Administrator

Fatigue can be a withdrawal syndrome. Be patient, it can take a long time for your nervous system to recover, as in many months.

Thanks for the info, Alto. What can I do, if anything, to combat the fatigue. Vitamins? Minerals?

Past 3 years

i need help with the fatigue also.  I feel as if I am sleeping my life away, although i guess its better than the opposite.

Started Effexor August 2012 Sept'12-150mg=extreme anxiety Oct'12 cut half-75mg severe wds

Feb 2013 68.5mg. Mar'13- 65mg. Apr'13-59mg. May'13-57mg. June '13-52mg Aug'13 49.75mg.

Sep'13-48.75. Nov'13-47mg Dec'13-45..5mg

May 2014 42mg. Jun'14 40mg (depressive mood started). Aug'14 -40mg/ started brintellix 2.5mg

Oct '14 -39 Nov'14 36.89 Dec'14 34.45

Jan 2015- 31 Feb'15 29mg. Mar'15 26.72. Apr'15 24.48. May'15 22.31mg. Jun'15 20.30mg

Aug'15-18.89. Oct'15 16.96. Nov/16- 16.10. Dec/15- 15mg

Jan 2016-14.22. May'16 11.45. Aug'16-9.60. Sep/16- 8.88mg. Oct/16- 8.39mg. Nov/16- 8.13. Dec/16- 7.89

• Administrator

You might try a VERY small dose of vitamin B12 and methylfolate early in the day. They can be stimulating. Who knows, maybe you're low in those vitamins. See the topics in the Symptoms forum.

• 3 weeks later...

Alto, I've now been in a phase for a couple of weeks where I'm lightheaded and get headaches a lot, often times as soon as I wake up in the morning. I also have a real hard time waking up some days. But I am sleeping consistently for the first time in a long time. I'm still at 20 mg citalopram, as my wife is pregnant and life will have enough change for me soon enough without reducing my AD ... I'm afraid to reduce any more at this point. Thoughts? Are these headaches and lightheadedness just more symptoms? Thanks!!

Past 3 years

• Moderator Emeritus

It sounds like you are doing much better and if I were you, I would continue to hold at 20mg.  The headaches and lightheadedness are most likely withdrawal symptoms, how long does it usually last for?  Its a good idea to makes notes of your symptoms so you can keep track of them.  Sometimes drinking more water can reduce headaches.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Hi Petu, thanks for your response. Somedays the headaches are with me all day, somedays they go away and then come back, and then somedays they go away and stay away. I'm just ready for this rollercoaster to be over with ... but I know I have to be patient. Thx again.

Past 3 years

• Moderator Emeritus

Ha! read your sig line.

Actually tapering is much, much slower than watching paint dry. More like watching hair grow. Or mountains erode.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

Sorry, I dont follow, Rhi. What is your point?

Past 3 years

• Moderator Emeritus

Oh, no point, I was just amused by your sig line where you said you're going to taper very slowly, like watching paint dry. I was just sardonically extending the joke.

Big disadvantage to not being able to hear "tone of voice" when communicating via writing online only. Consider mine "wry."

• Administrator

jb -- Do you still have the eye pain? This could be light sensitivity.

Yes, I still have the eye pain on occassion, worst when I spend too much time in front of the computer screen or tv. My eyes are, and have always been, pretty sensitive to light.Thx

Past 3 years

• Administrator

• 1 month later...

Hey all, just wanted to update and get some feedback from you wise lot of folks!! :)

So its now been 7 months since returning to citalopram (initially prescrbed 40 mg again 3rd week Jan '14) and  5 months since  reducing to 20 mg (1st week of March). My wife is pregnant with our first child (due Nov 2), and so I'm going to continue to hold at 20 mg until life settles back down a bit after getting crazy for a little while after his birth. I am and have been sleeping much more regularly, even great on occasion, however, the fatigue is a constant reminder that something isn't quite right, and now depression, anxiety, restlessness are showing up now and again . . . . suicidal thought out of nowhere yesterday, and got me down for the whole day . . . a little better today, though!

The question I have is, am I in withdrawal still, is it protracted withdrawal, can I expect more and various symptoms to come and go in the coming months, how can I better manage my symptoms, etc.? Any advice?

I really appreciate all your wisdom - God Bless you all! :)

Past 3 years

• Administrator

Thanks for checking in with us, MM.

You may be suffering adverse effects from citalopram; fatigue is a common adverse effect.

Consider strengthening your nervous system overall. Many people do better with fish oil and magnesium supplements, see

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

Thanks alto. You think it could be the citalopram, even though I've been off an on this stuff for years and never had this reaction to it before?

Past 3 years

• Administrator

Your nervous system is not the same as it was years ago.

Please keep notes on paper about your daily symptom pattern relative to when you take your drugs. This may help figure out if its the citalopram.

• 2 years later...

Wow, it's been a while. The last time I posted my wife was pregnant ... now my son is 2! It's been a bit of a Rollercoaster becoming a dad, and I didn't even try to reduce citalopram until 10/2016 ... and of course, I cut too much - I reduced it to 10mg. After roughly a month and a half I reinstated to 15 mg. I found a doctor that will work with me in reducing the drug more slowly - I'm happy about that.

Anyway, the last time I corresponded it looks like I was dealing with fatigue ... unfortunately I can confidently say it is worse than ever now, and not relieved by sleep.

I guess to get to the point, I am wondering if this sounds like withdrawal syndrome at this point (again)? And have I screwed myself up as of 2013, since I've never really felt my energy levels totally return for good. Don't get me wrong, I have definitely had some good days, but tiredness seems to be the norm. Just wanting to make sure I don't have adrenal fatigue or chronic fatigue syndrome.

Thoughts are much appreciated! God bless!

Past 3 years