Let's pray for one another

Zoe

SJ, I do lift us up.  I do agree with scripture.  We are instructed to cast our cares upon our Lord, cares for the body, soul and spirit. For it is our Great Shepherds primary duty to careth for us. So in this I stand with you completely and wholeheartedly, Lord Jesus help us to bring our every concern for our complete wellbeing to your throne and help us to see that it is indeed your role as our Great Shepherd to provide for us your sheep in every way. But SJ, I must go one step further.  Withdrawal is real right, we are experiencing it every day in some way, often physical and often psychological.  Often is an understatement, relentless is a better word for me.  To deal with the reality of withdrawal and recovery, I believe we must be very pragmatic.  Emotion is amplified exponentially.  It is not accurate in my opinion, to believe we can just stop feeling these exaggerated fears and other emotions. They are as real in their experience as today is August 1, 2017.  So what I am saying is, yes, we must bring our Lord our cares but we must also allow GRACE to BE.   BE with all of the process, BE with the exaggerated fear and angst, invite the Lord to BE IN the midst of our suffering and pain. Just Be, BE, BE!!!!  His stores of provisions and divine providence will supply our every need and more but you know what,  I believe He, Jesus Christ gets Withdrawal and the sheer agony of what we are experiencing and I believe He also is whispering in each of our storms, come to me you who are weary, it is I who will give you rest. I also believe He calls us to the practice of acceptance, of all that is our storm and simply says, Fear not O little one, I love you with an everlasting love and I am right here with you and will never let you go.  Feel it all, be with it all, it cannot hurt you, I AM here. 

I did not mean my post to sound like I was minimizing or ignoring our particular plight of withdrawal recovery. Sorry if it sounds like it implied that.

SJ

Main thread: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/14472-shakeyjerr-say-hello/

History: Prozac & Lithium from 1999 to 2003. Ended up back on after 4 months because taking a beta-blocker caused immediate depression (just 2 doses - turned out I didn't even need it; I had no other withdrawal symptoms - I might have ended up med and withdrawal-free otherwise :(). - Switched to Effexor (75mg 3/day) and Seroquel (50mg 3/day) in 2010. - Did a self-taper during 2016. - Developed Discontinuation Syndrome 02/17.

Supplements: Magnesium-Glycinate 400mg split into 4 100mg doses throughout the day. Vitamin C 500mg - once per day. Fish Oil 1360 mg (950 mg Active Omega-3) - twice per day.

I'm not a doctor. I use the internet, experience, and trial & error. Seek medical advice if necessary.

SJ no offense is taken. We just have to remember how loving  He is toward us and He knows we are suffering immensely in withdrawal and recovery. As Andrew Murray said, when we suffer, our divine calling above all else is to stay near our Savior. He is so tender to us, so near, so protecting.  I am praying for us always.  

This morning I come to just try and bring us some truth and encouragement.  Often, when I find myself in yet another wave , my first instinct is to be on edge, " oh no, here we go again."  I feel the disappointment as month after month this cycle continues on.  I always find myself asking in my heart, how long Lord, how long must this continue?  Knowing full well it will continue on as long as my body needs it to.  But knowing this truth doesn't always make the experience of it any easier.  I too long to be healed, now, to be over this difficult journey. It is now that I must remind myself of truth. Both spiritual truth and pragmatic truth. Spiritual truth that , I know that for those who love God, ALL things work together for good. Romans 8:28.  "Truth says that God sits in the center of the vessel when it rocks the most.  Truth says that God is wise and knowing this I can be confident that there can be no accidents, no mistakes, and that nothing can occur that not ought to happen. " Spurgeon.  Lord Jesus, please help us as we continue to walk this very difficult journey, to remember these truths and please Holy Spirit, take them from the head, directly to our hearts.  Pragmatic truth tells me the healing of my CNS takes time and this time is variable for each of us and though I do not know the when, my Lord does have the perfect timing in His knowing.  I am not to set a timeline.  Oh how I long to, but instead I am instructed to glory in my weaknesses and draw strength from the perpetual fountain of His all sufficient GRACE. Pragmatic truth again tells me this day, ACCEPTANCE.  Let me be totally honest.  This process is difficult and the experience of the symptoms SUCK!!!!! I feel quite confident we all think this even knowing they bring us healing adjustments.  But pragmatic truth tells me that I must allow all of the symptoms again this day. Be with the pain, be with the very uncomfortable physical and emotional symptoms, be with it all and feel it deeply.  Feel it all. Allow myself to go into the darkness of this WD journey and all it brings me. To go deep into the storm and find my light there, Jesus Christ, THE light. Stop fighting against the discomfort. Know that the projected outcome will be healing. Eventual freedom. This too shall one day pass. Lord Jesus, help us to allow the process to unfold and to transform us into the clearer image of yourself. Help us Lord to walk moment by moment this day, no matter what we are experiencing, in a manner that will bring glory to you and ultimate healing to us. Healing of yes body, but also soul and spirit. Help us to be observers of our healing in the details our bodies manifest. Lord please do not leave one stone unturned in our healing. Please be our ALL, in all, In Christ Jesus name I ask.  Amen.  

Wow, just wow!!  Triplem15, it is impossible for me to add anything to your prayers. I will be reading this post daily. Over and over.

To me what you have written can somewhat be summed up in the old hymn: "Have Thine Own Way"

Have thine on way Lord! Have thine on way.

Thou art the potter, I am the clay.

Mold me and make me after thy will,

While I am waiting, yielded and still.

Search me and try me, Master today!

Whiter than snow Lord, wash me just now,

As in thy presence humbly I bow.

Wounded and weary, help me I pray.

Power, all power surely is thine!

Touch me and heal me, Savior divine!

Hold o're my being absolute sway.

Fill with thy Spirit till all shall see

Christ only, always, living in me!

Christ only, always, living in me!

My God bless and keep you all!

12 years on Klonopin 1mg. (Until Aug. 1, 2016)

6 years on Zolpidem 10mg. (currently titrating)

Titrated Klonopin (5%/14 days) 10 month titration

Finished Klonopin titration (Aug. 2016)

Began Zolpidem taper Nov. 4, 2016. 5%/14 days

When I was still taking antidepressants and antipsychotics, I started becoming fascinated with the occult. I dove deep into subjects I shouldn't have because I'd lost my sense of reasoning.  I'd heard from my doctors that it was from the drugs. 8 months drug-free, and what I did then is still coming back to haunt me.  They often come in the form of the worst imaginable nightmares and become my reality. It is the worst possible imaginable terrifying feeling to feel this way most days. I live in immense fear and guilt because I am not yet saved. Along with my horrendous symptoms, there is nothing that can compare to this. Lord please listen to what I have to say and give me the strength to persevere. In Jesus' precious name Amen.

(Took Respiradone, Strattera, Celexa, Lexapro, and Pristiq prior to these.)

These were all taken over the course of approximately 10 years

10/7/15 - Fluvoxamine Maleate 100 MG

7/26/16 - Amphetamine Salts 10 MG

10/5/16 - Olanzapine-Fluoxetine 6-25 MG

11/1/16 - Olanzapine 2.5 MG AND Fluoxetine HCL 10 MG

11/08/16 - Amantadine 100 MG AND Aripiprazole 5 MG

11/22/16 - Trazodone 50 MG

12/1/16 - Aripiprazole 5 MG *LAST DOSE - COLD-TURKEYED*

All of these prayers have been a comfort to me as my window closes and a new wave comes at me. Thanks everybody!

SJ

Main thread: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/14472-shakeyjerr-say-hello/

History: Prozac & Lithium from 1999 to 2003. Ended up back on after 4 months because taking a beta-blocker caused immediate depression (just 2 doses - turned out I didn't even need it; I had no other withdrawal symptoms - I might have ended up med and withdrawal-free otherwise :(). - Switched to Effexor (75mg 3/day) and Seroquel (50mg 3/day) in 2010. - Did a self-taper during 2016. - Developed Discontinuation Syndrome 02/17.

Supplements: Magnesium-Glycinate 400mg split into 4 100mg doses throughout the day. Vitamin C 500mg - once per day. Fish Oil 1360 mg (950 mg Active Omega-3) - twice per day.

I'm not a doctor. I use the internet, experience, and trial & error. Seek medical advice if necessary.

On 7/10/2017 at 9:20 PM, triplem15 said:

Jesus- it is all by Jesus. Trouble does not necessarily bring consolation with it to the believer,  but the presence of the Son of God with us in the fiery furnace with us, fills our hearts with Joy.   In Christ Jesus our Lord, may it be done in each of us this day and every moment, Amen. 

SJ,  I have been praying for us all and continue to lift us all up. Cling to Our Lord.  He has us firmly in the grip of His Grace. " Lord Jesus, YOU are my strength and my shield. My heart trusts in you, and you help me" psalm 28:7.  TripleM.  

Commentary on psalm 28:7. Gill, " The Lord is my strength. This is the author of both natural and physical strength. He gives us strength of body and fortitude of mind to bear us up under ALL The exercises we are tried with. The strength of our lives both spiritual and temporal, and of our salvation. The strength of our hearts under present distresses.

So , now I would like to finish commentary on psalm 28:7.  Gill, " AND MY SHIELD, To protect and defend us, as ARE the love , power and faithfulness of God and our Lord Jesus Christ. His power and fullness. His blood, righteousness and salvation  are OUR SHIELD. 

My Heart trusts in HIM;  in THE LORD, as my strength and shield, not in any creature or created thing. We are to trust in the Lord. Complete dependance upon Him. We , the saints are helpless in ourselves. God is our only HELPER, Mighty to save, and who will help us in ALL of our troubles. His help is always perfect.  

Edited by Altostrata
unhide

To my friends here on this page.  Please note, I had to change my screen name to gigi63 from triplem15.   Please  make note of this if you wish to talk with me. Thanks. 

• 2 weeks later...

When you go through deep waters, I will be with you.

When you go through rivers of difficulty, you will not drown.

When you walk through the fire of oppression, you will not 

be burned up; the flames will not consume you.

Isaiah 43:2

Praying always for you guys and gals in withdrawal/recovery.

We will make it to the end and a happy ending it will be!!

Because God is love, His plans can only be loving. Because God is good, His intentions for you are for the highest good. Because He is the Lord of hope, His purpose is to always give you hope. He can never lie (or do!) less than He is.

Lord please forgive us our sins and give us your amazing grace for this day. Amen

"Nobody trips over mountains. It is the small pebble that causes you to stumble. Pass the pebbles in your path and you find you have crossed the mountain."

If we consider the full withdrawal experience- from tapering, through withdrawal, to recovery- as the mountain, and we imagine the small pebbles as the daily challenges, these words are relevant and make much more sense. It's all about 'baby steps' and not projecting too far ahead.

Thinking of withdrawal: how long could it last, how will you find the strength to cope, how will you manage each day, it overwhelms. But if focus on passing the pebbles in your path, one by one, it is doable. You may stumble and fall along the way, but will pick yourself up and continue on- onwards and upwards towards the mountaintop... towards recovery.

So the goal is, and should always be, one moment at a time.. one hour.. one day.. For now, that's it. Then the time arrives when the struggle has come to an end: the symptoms disappear and you are taking in the magnificent view of withdrawal-free reality from the top of the mountain, having passed all the pebbles in your path. It's only a matter of time. 

As as you begin this day, maybe from half-way up the mountain or even from the bottom, avert your eyes from its imposing stature and instead keep them fixed on the pebbles in your path. That's all you need to do. Keep going. 

I look up up to the mountains- does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! He will not let you stumble; the one who watches over you will not slumber.   Psalms 121:1-3 NLT

• 3 weeks later...

Above the storm,  I am just reading this now and I must say this is beautiful!!!!  There are days when I just cannot fathom how long??  How much more of this suffering.  This really helps to bring perspective to our situation.  Thank you for this.  

• 3 weeks later...

I am so grateful to see followers of Jesus on this site.  I'm new and really having a difficult time.  I keep repeating philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.

I don't always 'feel' His presence but I know he is there.  and to know I'm not alone in this battle.

On 9/12/2017 at 5:25 PM, gigi63 said:

Above the storm,  I am just reading this now and I must say this is beautiful!!!!  There are days when I just cannot fathom how long??  How much more of this suffering.  This really helps to bring perspective to our situation.  Thank you for this.  

1997 prescribed zoloft 50mg

1997-200? several failed attempts to get off the zoloft.

2000's dosed up to 100mg

dec 2015 zoloft seems to not work and I didn't want to keep on  it.

June 2016 started weaning off 150 mgzoloft using inositol

November 2016 finished zoloft

Dec 2016 crashed, back on zoloft

February 2017 started L-tryptophan

March-July 2017 weaned off 150mg zoloft

Rebbarog, we are not alone in this place!!!  Jesus Christ, the solid Rock, our refuge and our wall of defense is right here in this place with us!!!!  The journey is not easy but you are right to quote the scriptures, it is Christ Jesus who empowers us in ALL of life and most definitely here too!!!  He is never nearer than when we suffer.  He knows the path well and will carry us through!  His every word is truth and we can count on Him to be absolutely faithful to His word and us!!!  He is the great, I AM!!!!

3 minutes ago, gigi63 said:

Rebbarog, we are not alone in this place!!!  Jesus Christ, the solid Rock, our refuge and our wall of defense is right here in this place with us!!!!  The journey is not easy but you are right to quote the scriptures, it is Christ Jesus who empowers us in ALL of life and most definitely here too!!!  He is never nearer than when we suffer.  He knows the path well and will carry us through!  His every word is truth and we can count on Him to be absolutely faithful to His word and us!!!  He is the great, I AM!!!!

That was beautiful. 

Thank you. I'm going through some really rough stuff right now, and could really use all the prayers I can get. 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

Take care,

Frogie xx

P.S. Please read my thread and you will understand. :(

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

On 9/29/2017 at 4:50 PM, gigi63 said:

Amen!! I'm praying that healing comes in His timing and we are strengthened through him as we endure the baggage. 

1997 prescribed zoloft 50mg

1997-200? several failed attempts to get off the zoloft.

2000's dosed up to 100mg

dec 2015 zoloft seems to not work and I didn't want to keep on  it.

June 2016 started weaning off 150 mgzoloft using inositol

November 2016 finished zoloft

Dec 2016 crashed, back on zoloft

February 2017 started L-tryptophan

March-July 2017 weaned off 150mg zoloft

• 1 month later...

Hi all, I'll be saying a prayer for you. I've been struggling lately more mentally/spiritually than physically, but I'm believing that my faith is growing stronger. I wanted to share these scriptures as I believe they can be universally helpful:

Not only that, but we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us.  (Romans 5:3-5, ESV)

I don't agree with the notion that God intentionally puts us through suffering, but I do believe that he works in us during our suffering. Remember that Jesus left us a helper in the Holy Spirit. Also remember that your endurance isn't fruitless.

Next, 

For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.  (Romans 8:38-39, ESV)

This experience can steal alot from us: (The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly.  (John 10:10, ESV)) but it can never steal God's love. Nothing apart from our own free will can separate us from the love of God. Don't ever let go of that love. Through the trials and tribulations, by holding on you're a walking testament to your faith. The thief will ask you "why." Why hold on? You know why, because by accepting Christ God abides in us and us in Him, and we have been granted eternal life. 

15 Whoever confesses that Jesus is the Son of God, God abides in him, and he in God.  16 So we have come to know and to believe the love that God has for us. God is love, and whoever abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him.  (1 John 4:15-16, ESV)

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.  (John 3:16, ESV)

We face our afflictions in this life, but we do so knowing that we are free of them in the next. 

He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away."  (Revelation 21:4, ESV)

However hard it may be let us walk forward together in each day knowing these truths. We can never be separated from the love of God. God is love, and we have been made in his image. Let us also not forget what Jesus said in the passage above: He came to give us life to the fullest. Life is our God given right. The depression, despair, lies, they'll tell you otherwise. We have a purpose here. God gave us that purpose. 

Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding.   (Proverbs 3:5, ESV)

Solomon was said to be the wisest man prior to Jesus, yet he wrote an entire book of the Bible about things that could be seen as depression; or at least the futility of many things in our lives. His conclusions? Enjoy life, and follow the commandments of the Lord. 

And I commend joy, for man has nothing better under the sun but to eat and drink and be joyful, for this will go with him in his toil through the days of his life that God has given him under the sun.  (Ecclesiastes 8:15, ESV)

The end of the matter; all has been heard. Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man.  (Ecclesiastes 12:13, ESV)

Yes we are promised eternal life, but that's no reason to squander what we have now. 

A friend asked me a question the other day that I'll ask you. I am still figuring the answer for myself. To be clear, as I said I above, I don't believe God is making you suffer, but I do believe he is taking the opportunity to teach you. 

What is that he's teaching you? What knowledge is it that he's giving you (and maybe only you)? 

--------------

So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.   (Genesis 1:27, ESV)

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,  23 gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.  (Galatians 5:22-23, ESV)

Little children, you are from God and have overcome them, for he who is in you is greater than he who is in the world.  (1 John 4:4, ESV)

7 Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God, and whoever loves has been born of God and knows God.  8 Anyone who does not love does not know God, because God is love.  (1 John 4:7-8, ESV)

And this commandment we have from him: whoever loves God must also love his brother.  (1 John 4:21, ESV)

Jan. 21, 2017: 50 mg Zoloft for moderate-severe social anxiety

end of Feb. 2017: 100 mg one time, contracted flu, missed 2 doses (50 mg); subsequent panic attacks

Mar. 22: 50 mg every other day

Mar. 31: 25 mg every other day

April 16: 0 mg

April - September: 2-3 Ativan a month. 

October - 1 Ativan

November - 1 Ativan

Completely off Ativan as of December 2017.

On September 29, 2017 at 2:55 PM, gigi63 said:

Frogie, I am praying for us all!!!!

I just went on this thread and saw you are praying for me. I really could use some extra prayers right now.

Take care,

Frogie xx

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

7 minutes ago, Frogie said:

I just went on this thread and saw you are praying for me. I really could use some extra prayers right now.

Take care,

Frogie xx

Hey Frogie, rest assured you're in my prayers as well! I meant to quote you in my reply but messed up on mobile. 

end of Feb. 2017: 100 mg one time, contracted flu, missed 2 doses (50 mg); subsequent panic attacks

October - 1 Ativan

November - 1 Ativan

5 minutes ago, jkun41 said:

Hey Frogie, rest assured you're in my prayers as well! I meant to quote you in my reply but messed up on mobile. 

Thanks I really appreciate that!

Take care,

Frogie xx

Hi. I'm new to this thread.  I'm tapering off of a benzo (valium) and then have 48 mg of Cymbalta to taper.  A long road ahead of me.  I am having a horrible time spiritually and am in terror that I'm not saved, fearing that I've never really believed in my heart since I've never had a personal two-way relationship with Jesus.  Has anyone else faced this kind of terror?  On Benzo Buddies, a lot of people report that they can't read their bibles or pray when in withdrawal even if they did before.  They report feeling nothing but fear, terror and darkness and that you just have to hang on to Jesus and know He's there even if you can't hear or sense Him.  And, it goes on for years.  I'm terrified I'm not going to survive this. 

I am really messed up and need help.  I'm 65, alone, isolated, no husband or children.   My siblings and friends are gone as they think I have a mental illness.  All I want is to know Jesus in my heart of hearts and to hear His Voice.  I've never been able to receive or give love, so never married.  I think this has something to do with my relationship to God.  I'm seeing a Christian psychologist about it, but am not making progress because my brain is so messed up on these medications.  I've talked to every pastor I know and worn them out.  They don't know what to say.  I can't go to church anymore because of agoraphobia.  

I'm down to 1.97 mg valium and doing a daily liquid micro taper.  

2016-Aug-Prescribed 2 mg Ativan & 10 mg Ambien; Oct-c/o from 20 mg Lexapro to 60 mg Cymbalta; Nov-Dec-Tapered off 10 mg Ambien    

2017-Jan-Feb c/o from 1.75 mg Ativan to 13 mg Valium & begin daily liquid micro taper; May-taper Cymbalta 60 mg to 48 mg with severe withdrawals.  Begin 11 month Cymbalta hold.

2018-Jan 11 completed Valium taper; Apr-Resume Cymbalta taper.  Interval dose progress: Apr 43 mg; May 40 mg; Jul 35 mg; Sep 29 mg; Dec 21 mg; 

2019- Apr 14 mg; Jun 11 mg; Aug 9 mg; Oct 7 mg; Nov 6 mg

2020-Jan 5.2 mg; Feb 4.8 mg; Mar 4.3 mg; Apr 3.9 mg; May 3.5 mg; Jun 3.3 mg; Jul 2.9 mg; Aug 2.7 mg; 28 Sep 2.4 mg/12 beads; 25 Oct 2.2 mg/11 beads; 22 Nov 2.0 mg/10 beads; 20 Dec 1.8 mg/9 beads

2021- 17 Jan 1.6 mg/8 beads; 14 Feb 1.4 mg/7 beads; 18 Mar 1.2 mg/6 beads; 18 Apr 1.0 mg/5 beads; 16 May

0.8 mg/4 beads; 13 Jun 0.6 mg/3 beads; 11 Jul 0.5 mg/2 beads; 8 Aug .03 mg/1 bead; 5 Sep 0 mg.

Brutal, agonizing, slow 4.5 year Cymbalta taper completed as of 5 Sep 2021.  100% psych drug free.  

On 11/11/2017 at 8:43 PM, gardenlady said:

Hi. I'm new to this thread.  I'm tapering off of a benzo (valium) and then have 48 mg of Cymbalta to taper.  A long road ahead of me.  I am having a horrible time spiritually and am in terror that I'm not saved, fearing that I've never really believed in my heart since I've never had a personal two-way relationship with Jesus.  Has anyone else faced this kind of terror?  On Benzo Buddies, a lot of people report that they can't read their bibles or pray when in withdrawal even if they did before.  They report feeling nothing but fear, terror and darkness and that you just have to hang on to Jesus and know He's there even if you can't hear or sense Him.  And, it goes on for years.  I'm terrified I'm not going to survive this. 

I am really messed up and need help.  I'm 65, alone, isolated, no husband or children.   My siblings and friends are gone as they think I have a mental illness.  All I want is to know Jesus in my heart of hearts and to hear His Voice.  I've never been able to receive or give love, so never married.  I think this has something to do with my relationship to God.  I'm seeing a Christian psychologist about it, but am not making progress because my brain is so messed up on these medications.  I've talked to every pastor I know and worn them out.  They don't know what to say.  I can't go to church anymore because of agoraphobia.  

I'm down to 1.97 mg valium and doing a daily liquid micro taper.  

Im sorry to hear things are so hard. Very few people, if any,  on earth have no doubts. 

Doubt is a normal part of being human. Anxiety and anxiety disorders (like ocd) make doubt worse, and ADs and withdrawal make the doubt even worse. 

If you're asking these questions, and you're exhausting pastors, then IMO it's pretty clear that you believe. 

Be compassionate to yourself. God loves you and he doesn't want to see your current condition made worse with these kinds of doubts. 

I always think of this scripture when dealing with doubt:

Immediately the father of the child cried out and said, "I believe; help my unbelief!"  (Mark 9:24, ESV)

Its okay to pray for help in unbelief. I'm sure one of the prayers the Lord has heard the most is simply "help." 

There are a lot of online churches now that offer a stream of their Sunday service, maybe this is something that interests you. Some even have chats afterward for prayer. Try googling it and see if you can find one that works for you. 

God bless. 

October - 1 Ativan

November - 1 Ativan

• Moderator Emeritus

We have to remember that we live by faith, not feelings.  In withdrawal our feelings can be non existent or all over the place.

I searched for how do I know that I am saved on YouTube last night and found some bridge diagram videos.  I considered this one the best of what I watched because it includes lots of Biblical references and includes them on the screen.  I found that pausing to read them was better than not knowing how long it would remain on the screen and trying to read it too quickly but not thoroughly.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Great find ChessieCat!

GardenLady, I also experienced not being able to read the Bible (or anything else) for several years and couldn't sense the presence of God, any help, hope, comfort or strength and couldn't pray.  It helps knowing others have experienced the same thing.

1995-2007      20mg Aropax/Paxil for pain.  Years of up and down doses

2008                Endep, Lexapro and then Esipram (hell!) CT (oh dear!)

2009                20mg Aropax.  Tried skipping doses for a year (more hell!)

2010                10mg.  10% taper.  Lasted 4 months. Crashed again

2011                5% taper. 9mg-7mg (hell got even worse!)

2012                2.5% taper.  6.6mg – 5.6mg (worser still & unbearable)

2013                5% taper.  Big mistake.  5.5mg – 4.6mg  (even worserer)

2014                2.5% taper.  4.9mg – 4.5mg;    2015 2.5% taper 4.4 - 4.0mg

2016                2.5% taper.  3.9mg  Feb 3.8   Mar 3.7  May 3.6   Jul 3.5

2017                2.5% taper.  Jan 3.4;   Mar 3.35;  Apr 3.3; Oct 3; Dec 2.9;

2018                2.5% taper. Jan 2.8; Mar 2.7; Mar: 2.75; Jun 2.7; Aug 2.6; Oct 2.5; Nov 2.4; Dec 2.3

2019                Jan 2.2; Feb 2.1;

I share some of the same feelings. I have a terror that the world is about to end, and because I’m not saved the devil has me and I will go to hell. These feelings distort my view of myself and my family, and my thoughts easily become dramatic and I go into a panic state at the slightest references of “the end”. This has brought on many panic attacks although I am gradually feeling better. 

I do not attend church because all of my attempts resulted in panic attacks and I don’t want to put that stress on myself although I have immense guilt for not doing so. I am also unable to read anything but I do pray regularly.

(Took Respiradone, Strattera, Celexa, Lexapro, and Pristiq prior to these.)

These were all taken over the course of approximately 10 years

10/7/15 - Fluvoxamine Maleate 100 MG

7/26/16 - Amphetamine Salts 10 MG

10/5/16 - Olanzapine-Fluoxetine 6-25 MG

11/1/16 - Olanzapine 2.5 MG AND Fluoxetine HCL 10 MG

11/08/16 - Amantadine 100 MG AND Aripiprazole 5 MG

11/22/16 - Trazodone 50 MG

12/1/16 - Aripiprazole 5 MG *LAST DOSE - COLD-TURKEYED*

Thanks to all of you who have responded so kindly to my post.  It really does help to know that others are going through the same thing.  One reason I've been fearful my whole life (and withdrawal just increases it exponentially) is that I subconsciously placed my identity in people and things vs Christ.  I knew about Him and His grace and thought I believed, but I realize now that it was mental assent and not true saving faith.  

I've been asking God to give me that true, saving faith and reading about identity.  I came across a book entitled Identity Matters by Terry Wardle, a theologian devoted to inner healing.  He has a website called Healing Care.  He lives in Ohio and is a retired professor at Ashland Theological Seminary in Ohio.  There really isn't any new information...things I didn't already know.  But somehow, I've been struck by reading about the totality of Christ's work....the perfect life He lived, his death and descent into hell by being separated from the Father, and His resurrection.  It's ALL for ME!  He gives His perfect life to me and puts my name on it.  He took the garbage of my sins...all emblazoned with my name, and paid the penalty for them in full.  The life He is living now, He gives to me and says, "Here have it and live it to the maximum!"  There's something about all of that that is striking to me.  That the Father loves, chose and empowered me not for anything in me, but because of Jesus.  As I wrote, I knew all of this intellectually before, but now it's becoming real to me in my heart.  

When I dwell on these truths, it takes the fear away, knowing that Christ did it all and that it's a done deal.  I think my problem is that subconsciously, I didn't think I had "believed enough" for the Holy Spirit to indwell me.  I've been viewing believing as a work rather than passively accepting what Jesus has done....much like a woman conceives passively.  She has relations with her husband which is analogous to accepting Christ's work.  Then, the rest is all done passively...she doesn't contribute to it...God does the work of conception in her body without her help or striving...or without her worrying about stupid things like not loving her husband enough when they were intimate....as if that could affect the conception.  In the same way, the Father does His work of salvation in us without our help....it's ALL of Him.  Even the believing is from Him...a gift.  We can't even do that on our own.  

All to say that my OCD has worked against me on this issue my whole life.  I've made salvation a very hard thing when God had made it easy enough for a child to understand.  But, I guess my old nature thinks it has to strive to attain it....much like termites are attracted to wood.  I see now that I can simply be content in what Jesus did.  I write this now, in a calm state, but sure enough, I know that I'll become agitated over the same thing again, so I need to fight to "cease striving" every day.  It's a bit of a paradox, but that's the way it is.

2016-Aug-Prescribed 2 mg Ativan & 10 mg Ambien; Oct-c/o from 20 mg Lexapro to 60 mg Cymbalta; Nov-Dec-Tapered off 10 mg Ambien    

2017-Jan-Feb c/o from 1.75 mg Ativan to 13 mg Valium & begin daily liquid micro taper; May-taper Cymbalta 60 mg to 48 mg with severe withdrawals.  Begin 11 month Cymbalta hold.

2018-Jan 11 completed Valium taper; Apr-Resume Cymbalta taper.  Interval dose progress: Apr 43 mg; May 40 mg; Jul 35 mg; Sep 29 mg; Dec 21 mg; 

2020-Jan 5.2 mg; Feb 4.8 mg; Mar 4.3 mg; Apr 3.9 mg; May 3.5 mg; Jun 3.3 mg; Jul 2.9 mg; Aug 2.7 mg; 28 Sep 2.4 mg/12 beads; 25 Oct 2.2 mg/11 beads; 22 Nov 2.0 mg/10 beads; 20 Dec 1.8 mg/9 beads

2021- 17 Jan 1.6 mg/8 beads; 14 Feb 1.4 mg/7 beads; 18 Mar 1.2 mg/6 beads; 18 Apr 1.0 mg/5 beads; 16 May

0.8 mg/4 beads; 13 Jun 0.6 mg/3 beads; 11 Jul 0.5 mg/2 beads; 8 Aug .03 mg/1 bead; 5 Sep 0 mg.

Brutal, agonizing, slow 4.5 year Cymbalta taper completed as of 5 Sep 2021.  100% psych drug free.  

Thanks for the book suggestion. I checked out the sample on kindle and think I'll buy it. 

October - 1 Ativan

November - 1 Ativan

• Moderator Emeritus

I have been listening to audios and YouTube instead of reading.  You can get audio Bibles on the internet.

This is the one I am listening to.  It is very well read - http://www.mp3bible.ca/

This KJV narration is voice only and is read at a slower pace. This complete KJV Bible recording can be legally copied

Before watching the Context of the Bible (Bruce Gore below) I watched some geography of the Bible videos on YouTube.  Satellite Bible is excellent, explaining the different physical areas of the region.  There was another one that I watched, but haven't been able to find it again yet (see next post), which was talking about the different locations in the Bible and explaining who and what were related to those places.  I'll try and find it because after watching the Satellite Bible videos it was interesting to make the connections relating to the physical aspects of the Bible lands.

Bruce Gore is an excellent teacher and makes learning interesting.  I've actually emailed him twice asking him questions and he responded very quickly with concise, understandable explanations.  He has done series on Historical and Chronological Context of the Bible (the videos are best for these because he shows maps as he goes), Theology and Philosophy (history) as well as OT, NT.

There is also sermonaudio.com  If you want to download them for personal listening when you click on the download there will be a screen pop up.  Just click on Maybe Later (about middle of the page) and you will be able to download.  Click back on your browser and then right click, save as.

You are still a Christian even if you do not attend church.  I haven't been to church for about 17 years, and at the moment just the thought of sitting in a room surrounded by people makes me feel uncomfortable.  I'm concerned that I will end up a blubbering mess.

Edited by ChessieCat
added see next post

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• Moderator Emeritus

Found it!!!  Drs Perry and Elaine Phillips.  This is 1 of 6 lectures.

• Moderator Emeritus

David Pawson is another good one:  search in YouTube:  david pawson unlocking the bible

The Bible Project is also good.  We want you to read through the bible without getting lost or giving up. We provide a video for every book of the Bible that outlines its structure and design and how it fits into the entire biblical story.

OT: 

NT

2 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

There is also sermonaudio.com  If you want to download them for personal listening when you click on the download there will be a screen pop up.  Just click on Maybe Later (about middle of the page) and you will be able to download.  Click back on your browser and then right click, save as.

Hey CC.  Thanks for the wonderful ideas of how we can engage with God while in withdrawal.  Are there any speakers on sermonaudio.com you are particularly fond of?  I've listened to various people on it before but now can't recall who they were!  Benzo brain!   

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy