archana ocd symptoms emerging

archana

I am tapering my medicine since 2013. now I am taking only clomipramine for last 3 months.i was diagnosed for dissociative disorder. now I have started feeling symptoms of ocd . please help me. I am 18 year old.

• Administrator

Welcome, archana.

I moved your post here, to start your Introductions topic. You can track your progress in this topic.

What drugs did you taper off? How did you do the taper?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I was prescribed the following drugs:

sertraline 1 tab/day

aripiprazole 10mg half tab. twice in a day

resperidone 1/4 tab twice

clomipramine50 mg 1 tab in night

after a lot of withdral symptoms I tapered off all the above except clomipramine 50mg . I have used method of 10 %,5%,2% reduction and have reduced in interval of approx 10 days.

no any major withdrawal symptoms remained from last 3-4 months.

I have been taking clomipramine from last 3-4 months .I have hAd never before any ocd symptoms but I have started suffering from double thoughts,urges to perform tasks twice, etc.

I hv consulted my dr. and he prescribed me 8 -10 different type of tablets.now I dont want to rely on medicines a lot .so please help me.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Archana, I am very sad that your doctor prescribed so many different drugs for you. 

You are right to want to manage without them and it's good that you tapered them.

Clomipramine can cause some anxiety and changes in behaviour, but I wonder if you

could also be suffering from some withdrawal symptoms after tapering the other drugs. 

You have done well to taper them but we recommend a taper of 10% every 4 or 6 weeks

and taper one drug at a time. 

It would help us if you could list in your signature the drugs and the doses, when you started them and when

you stopped them.   This  link will explain how to do that  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

You are very young and things  will get better, we will help all we can, you are not alone and we are glad that you found us. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Administrator

Welcome, archana.

Yes, you are suffering ill effects from the drugs and from going off them.

If I were you, I'd stop tapering the clomipramine for now and let your nervous system rest and recuperate for a while.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Archana, I hope you're doing well today.

I think you are probably suffering from aftereffects of all those drugs and coming off them too fast. If you can find some way to tolerate your current symptoms and ride them out, they will eventually resolve. It may be a difficult time and it will probably last for longer than you would like. We have seen many people make that journey here.

I am so sorry you were put on psychiatric drugs for dissociative disorder. There are no proven effective drug treatments for that. It is usually associated with trauma and PTSD, which do respond to good therapy with trained therapists but which are not known to respond to any drugs. I was put on drugs for this too and I now believe the drugs only delayed my recovery. 

You were put on a lot of drugs and discontinued them fairly quickly so I am not surprised that you are having some after effects. This is actually quite normal. In fact with antidepressants such as sertraline I usually warn people to expect to have an increase in symptoms three to six months out from quitting.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

thank u very much for helping me a lot.

I hv changed my dr. now he hv prescribed me:

paroxetine 12.5 mg twice

clonazepam .5 twice

clomipramine75mg once in the night.

I am starting his prescription but taking clomipramine 50mg only not 75.

any suggestions are greatly welcomed.

sorry for my bad English.

• Moderator Emeritus

If you can possibly just take the 12.5 of paroxetine once a day you may find that is enough, and the same with the clonazepam 0.5 once a day. It's better to go with the smallest dose that you can take. Those are both strong drugs and they are both difficult ones to taper off, so the lower the dose you can use, the better.

Later, once you are feeling better, in four to six months, you can begin to discuss learning how to do a safe, slow taper to get off all medications. It will need to be much slower than you have done in the past. We recommend cutting no more than 10% of your current dose, and holding that cut for at least four weeks before cutting again.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

I have taken 12.5 mg twice paroxetine and 50mg clomipramine once.

within 24 hours my ocd symptoms are disappearing about 75%.

should I stay on the above dose or should switch on 12.5 mg ONCE daily.

• Administrator

Why are you taking paroxetine rather than sertraline?

It sounds like your "OCD" is withdrawal symptoms from going off sertraline too fast.

Paroxetine is another SSRI, but even more difficult to taper than sertraline.

If you're going to switch to another SSRI, fluoxetine (Prozac) is the better choice. It carries less chance of withdrawal difficulties than either sertraline or paroxetine. 10mg fluoxetine once a day may be sufficient.

now what should I do?

should I immediately switch from paroxetine to fluoxitine (or sertraline)??

will it cause any adverse effects?

please suggest immediately. thanx for your great help

• Administrator

If I were you, I'd ask your doctor for 10mg fluoxetine.