MomOf5: Hello, would love input

MomOf5

Hi Mom of 5,

I just wanted to say "Hi" back to you, and to let you know that things do get better! I have read your story and you really have been through a lot! Majority of people on this web site have gone through hell and back, including my self. The key is to find strength inside your self to push on, despite the fact that some days you will feel like you are literally hitting the brick wall! Even when you feel so down that you feel hopeless and defeated you must keep going for the sake of your children. I completely understand you when you have stated that you find it hard to care for your children because of your current state. I felt the same but I had to keep going and still do everything despite the fact that I just wanted to lye in bed and not get up. What I am trying to say to you is to still keep going, you are lucky to have the support of your mother in law and surrounding your self with positive people and family is the key to your recovery! I wish you all the best and I am sure that couple months from now we will be reading your success story! Be strong! You will beat this!

DRUG HISTORY:

November 2013- Zoloft, ( Bad reaction).

January 2014 - March 2014 Seroquel.( Quit Cold Turkey).

January2014- Mirtazapine, I was taking 15mg at one stage, reduced to 7.5mg, Pgad reactions to Mirtazapine. Doctor kept increasing it to 37.5mg, until July 2014. No improvement, experiencing panic attacks, on 37.5 mg. I had enough by October 2014. Began tapering.

October 2014- Started tapering Mirtazapine from 37.5mg.

September 2015- Down to 4mg of Mirtazapine. Crashed.

September 16th- Up dosed to 5mg. Held this dose for almost 5 months. Stabilised.

February 2016- Began tapering again. From 5mg to 4.5mg of Mirtazapine. (Rocking the boat, again)! Lol. :(

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Momof 5 . I am glad that you have reinstated the lexapro and started a slow taper.

Hold the new dose for a few weeks to stabilise, time will fly by and one day you'll look

back on this journey and take your last dose. :) 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Thank you all so much.  Today is a day I needed to hear such encouragement.  Let me preface by saying I was up nearly all night with a sick baby who can't communicate what is wrong, other than throwing up on me repeatedly!  I've always had anxiety about stomach bugs, even before I "had GAD."  So, I suppose I should cut myself some slack today.  Unlike my little one, who is feeling better and sleeping the day away, I am up with a headache, responsibilities and anxiety wanting to explode my chest open.  I also don't deal as well with the constant tingling face and tinnitus w/o sleep.  The one good thing that I am holding onto is that since making my first Lexapro cut, my crazy all-day crying episodes seem to have stopped, just like that!  Now I want to cry and I can't.  I'm not sure that's the place to be either, but it's nice to have a break from the relentless crying.  I am awed at the power of this drug.  I hope that I will have more improvements as I get lower in dosage.  I heard back from the doctor that I found through a link here and she said she would help me if I want to drive to see her (1 hr 40 min).  I will have to decide. 

arwen, I relate so much to what you said about amplifying the bad days.  I am getting better at telling myself that tomorrow is a totally new opportunity.  I do miss the time when I could reliably wake up feeling well, but I hang on to the hope that the day will come.  I see that you reinstated at 1mg.  How are you doing?  What is your plan at this point?  I wonder about the final taper.  It seems like even if you taper well, the final one can still bring trouble.  Is there any way around this??   

Hopefull, thank you for your kind words.  You are right, we just keep doing what needs to be done.  Sometimes it is hard to remember how easy it used to be to do those things and how hard it is now.  It makes me sad.  But again, I hope the day will come where it will be different.  I'll have to check your thread to see how you're doing with the mirtazapine.  My dr says "most people" can go from 7.5 to 0.  HA!  I guess I'm not most people!

MamaP, thank you for stopping by.  I am clinging to your vision of one day looking back on the journey in the past tense, taking my last dose.  I hope it will happen sooner than I think, but I am prepared for the long haul.  I see from your signature that you suffered side effects from the drugs and that you felt better as you dropped the dose.  I hope I will too.  My dr keeps telling me that at 4 weeks post-drop "my anxiety could come back."  Well, that doesn't help my anxiety, does it?!

Wulfgar, hello!  I am excited to meet someone who has gotten off mirtazapine.  I hope to follow in your footsteps :)

Okay, family needs me.  Thanks for listening,

Since July 2013: on and off various dosages of  Ativan (last Oct 30, 2013), Zoloft, Cymbalta, Mirtazapine, Klonopin (last Feb 4, 2014), Gabapentin, Lexipro, narcotics, steroids, muscle relaxers

March 2014: Lexapro 20mg (since Nov 2013), mirtazapine 7.5mg (since Sept 2014)

At some point reduced Mirtazapine to 3.75mg to reduce side effects, was difficult but helped

January 6, 2015: last Lexapro, jumped from 1.25mg after tapering 1.25mg at a time

April 10, 2015: got liquid compounded Mirtazapine and switched over, same dose, 3.75mg

April 24, 2015: 3.4mg / May: 3.2mg / June: 3mg / July: 2.8mg / Aug: 2.6mg / Sept: 2.4mg / Oct: 2.2mg

• Moderator Emeritus
I wonder about the final taper.  It seems like even if you taper well, the final one can still bring trouble.  Is there any way around this??   

Some people do have a few symptoms for a little while after tapering and coming completely off, but generally if the taper has been slow and safe, they are minor.  The best way to minimize this is to taper slowly and carefully, paying close attention to your body and not making a reduction until you have completely stabilized from the previous one.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Thanks, Petu.  Another question, I seem to be having tinnitus since I made my first cut.  It is constant (and, of course, annoying as anything).  Would I need to wait for it to go away before I cut again?  I'm not sure if it will or not, you know?  Headaches are still bugging me, but they were before too.  Thanks!

Since July 2013: on and off various dosages of  Ativan (last Oct 30, 2013), Zoloft, Cymbalta, Mirtazapine, Klonopin (last Feb 4, 2014), Gabapentin, Lexipro, narcotics, steroids, muscle relaxers

At some point reduced Mirtazapine to 3.75mg to reduce side effects, was difficult but helped

January 6, 2015: last Lexapro, jumped from 1.25mg after tapering 1.25mg at a time

April 10, 2015: got liquid compounded Mirtazapine and switched over, same dose, 3.75mg

April 24, 2015: 3.4mg / May: 3.2mg / June: 3mg / July: 2.8mg / Aug: 2.6mg / Sept: 2.4mg / Oct: 2.2mg

• Administrator

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi MomOf5, I am doing ok on 1.4 mg (I increased it slightly). I even had a window :) and the waves are not very bad either. 

Petu is so right, we need to listen to our bodies. Some people would be ok after a careful tapper like mine, and would be able to drop from 1mg to zero. (For Paxil, 1mg is 1/10 of the smaller pill). But some, like me, are not. I don't really know what I will do when I decide again to get rid of it. I would probably go very slow, 10%, as long as I can still measure it. Maybe I will buy a pill crusher and weight the powder? And the most important, I will wait as much as I need after each drop. If this means months, so be it. 

I also have tinnitus, and it became worse in the last few months, with all this withdrawal nightmare. But I had it for a long time, and I think I got used with it, it doesn't bother me very much. 
July 2011 - nasty anxiety crisis (lost job, became not functional, couldn't exit the house alone)
August 2011 - started 10mg Paxil  and October 2011 - 20mg (one month on 20mg)
November 2011 - starting slowly to decrease the dose at the pace my body supported. Down to 2.5 mg in January 2013 (17.5, 15, 12.5, 10, 7.5, 5, 3.7, 2.5) - at least one month at each step. Got a new job.
April 2013 - stopped completely, crashed after 2 weeks, and reinstalled 2.5mg, recovered fast.
September 2013 - started decreasing again, slower, down to 1 mg in December 2013
December 2013 - free of Paxil
March 2014 - another crash, exactly 3 months after stopping, after 2 weeks of horrors, reinstalled 1 mg - feeling better after one week.
March 2014 - July 2014: going slowly down: 1mg, 0.9mg, 0.77mg, 0.64mg
end of July 2014 - Paxil free, hopefully forever this time.

Jan 2024 update - Still Paxil free, feeling good. 

Sorry I've been away.  We had sickness here, including one day in ER for one child.  Everyone is feeling better at this point.  As for the tinnitus, I've had it for a long time, but I don't remember noticing it for a while.  Now it seems louder.  I am also frustrated with the sensation in my head.  It is like someone is sticking needles in the top of my head constantly.  If this is what I get after dropping 1.25 mg I am in trouble, unless, of course, this is coming from the Lexipro itself.  Alto, yes I am taking both fish oil and magnesium.  I also made an appointment to go see the doctor I found through a link here.  I'm going next Thursday.  We'll see what she has to offer. 

• Moderator Emeritus

The added stress of dealing with sickness could have increased your symptoms, any extra stress while trying to get off these drugs makes things harder for a while, but I'm sure things will settle down again.  Please let us know how your doctor visit goes.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Going tomorrow morning to meet the new doctor.  I printed out her intake page and I'm impressed by the things she asks.  She's definitely interested in things that other docs aren't.  I'm going to try to get liquid Lex from her.  It is apparent to me that even 1.25mg (which I think is something like 7% drop) is causing me trouble.  I would like to try 0.5 mg at a time, but I need a dr to be on board.  My current dr isn't going to write prescriptions for extra meds so that I can make my own liquid and discard the remainder.  Wish me luck tomorrow!

Today is tough.  My head feels like it might explode and my gut is upset.  Sometimes it is so hard to see other people living life and worrying about normal things.  I want so badly to do that again, to feel well.  My poor children deserve more than this.  Sometimes I sit here thinking about who could take my place and be the mother they deserve.  I don't believe that is truly God's plan for our family, but I feel so bad that it sounds good, if that makes sense.  Sometimes I just wish God would take me and end all this suffering.  I only venture to say that out loud because I know you will understand. 

Thanks.

• Moderator Emeritus

Yep, we understand. I'm so sorry you're in that space. It's no fun. 

You won't be there forever. It gets better!

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

Thanks, Rhi.  That reassurance means a lot.

Also, just wanted to jot down something I discovered with my counselor.  We've been working on figuring out which negative thought/s I have been entertaining and I think I have figured it out.  There are two.

1) "I can't do this." - that is the thought that goes with anxiety for me

2) "I don't want to do this." - this is the thought that goes with depression for me

Now to work on replacing those with positive alternatives...

• Administrator

Those seem like realizations we could all use!

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• 1 year later...

Hello group.  I know I have been absent a very long time.  I am sorry!  Life has a way sometimes.  I have updated my signature to reflect my current med situation.  The good news is that I completed my Lexapro taper in January.  The bad news is that I think Mirtazapine may be impossible to get off of.  Okay, I know others have done it, I am just confounded at how.  I got a liquid made at a compounding pharmacy and started with my 10% cut, from 3.75mg to 3.4mg.  I am miserable!  How many nights can I lie awake doing deep breathing, tapping, listening to hypnosis tapes, running to the bathroom, listening to my heart pound, feel the electricity in my body, etc.  I know it's the fight or flight system out of balance, but I stink at dealing with it.  I am much better at dealing with depressive stuff than anxiety stuff.  I deal with everything better if I've slept.  Any advice?  Thanks so much for (still) being here, and I will do my best to become more regular at posting.

(oh, my other big issue is pelvic pain at this point - I suffered all of December with a kidney stone - it finally passed but I have had pain ever since.  Is it nerves? Muscles?  Bladder?  Interstitial Cystitis?  Not sure.  I've done pelvic PT and still hurting.  The stone was made of Calcium Oxalate.  That's when I realized that Lexapro is Escitalopram OXALATE.  Hmmmmm, no dr will ever admit a connection, but the timing of the stone at the end of my Lex taper is so "coincidental."  If anyone has experience with bladder problems, I'd love to hear that too.)

• Moderator Emeritus

Momof5 (wow), hello.

so am i reading your drug history correctly - you just got the mirtazapoison in liquid form this month? if so, even if you were to have cut on the first day of may, you would still likely to be feeling the horrid things you describe - which all kind of go with the cruddy program. for me, when i make the cut, the first day or two hit moderately, a slight leveling occurs, but i don't feel the full-on force of a cut of mirt until the 1 to 2 week mark. you are on a low dose, so you may need to be more moderate in your tapering.

also worthy to take into consideration is that you jumped from the lex about 4 months ago. that's huge. your system is still probably breathing the proverbial sigh of relief and trying to catch its breath from that.

the pelvic pain. i've never talked about this before reagarding my own experience, i don't think. would you describe that as sort of between the lower abdomen and groin kind of pain. like an ache?

hang in there.

dave

1996 - .5mg Ativan as needed, 7.5mg Remeron daily2008 - .5mg Xanax, Ativan discontinued, Remeron continued2012 - .5mg Xanax, .25mg Ativan 3x daily, Remeron continued2/2012 - Jumped from Remeron, continued .5mg Xanax .25mg Ativan 3x daily4/2012 - Began rapid taper of .5mg Xanax .25mg Ativan 3x daily6/2012 - Jumped from Xanax and Ativan, voluntary hospitalization followed7/2012 - 2nd voluntary hospitalization, reinstated Remeron, bumped to 30mg, also given risperidone.8/2012 - discontinued risperidone, tried gabapentin, dicontinued gabapentin, Remeron 30mg continued10/2012 to current - tapered Remeron 10% every 4 to 6 weeks (sometimes more time) using liquid compound12/2014 - 2mg Remeron 1/16/2015 - 1.9mg Remeron 8/1/2015 -1.6mg Remeron - 03/1/2016 - 1.5mg Remeron - 1/2/2017 1.3mg - 5/7/2017 1.2mg - 5/13/2017 - syringe size change - 6/8/2017 - 1.1mg - 7/10/2017 - 1mg - 9/1/2017 - 0.9mg - 10/22/2017 - 0.8mg - 11/22/2017 - 0.7mg - 2/2/2018 - 0.6mg - 3/13/2018 - new compound pharmacy - 5/20/2018 - 0.5mg - 8/31/2018 - 0.4mg - 11/16/2018 - 0.3mg - 12/24/2018 - 0.2mg - 4/1/2019 - 0.1mg - 5/1/2019 - .05mg - 0mg achieved 2019-06-15. 🤞

• Moderator Emeritus

Momof5,

i have a second to expand on the pelvic pain thing. and i have no idea if this is the kind of issue you are dealing with or not. but since the early days of withdrawl, a persistent discomfort i have dealt with has been pelvic pain - i've always called it "groin pain." like i had pulled some sort of muscle, or injured myself. it is a mixture of pain - sometimes sharpish, sometimes dull and achey - and tightness. at first, i thought i was having some sort of gland issue - except there was no swelling at all. i don't have it all the time - and it was much worse earlier on. it comes and goes to this day. i've had examinations of my pelvic region and nothing is amiss. so i am not sure what the cause of the pain is - but it is something i have always attributed to mirtazapoison withdrawal - because i hadn't experienced it prior and it has gotten better as i have tapered.

so any way, i don't know if this is the kind of thing you are dealing with or not - but thought i would throw it out there.

dave

1996 - .5mg Ativan as needed, 7.5mg Remeron daily2008 - .5mg Xanax, Ativan discontinued, Remeron continued2012 - .5mg Xanax, .25mg Ativan 3x daily, Remeron continued2/2012 - Jumped from Remeron, continued .5mg Xanax .25mg Ativan 3x daily4/2012 - Began rapid taper of .5mg Xanax .25mg Ativan 3x daily6/2012 - Jumped from Xanax and Ativan, voluntary hospitalization followed7/2012 - 2nd voluntary hospitalization, reinstated Remeron, bumped to 30mg, also given risperidone.8/2012 - discontinued risperidone, tried gabapentin, dicontinued gabapentin, Remeron 30mg continued10/2012 to current - tapered Remeron 10% every 4 to 6 weeks (sometimes more time) using liquid compound12/2014 - 2mg Remeron 1/16/2015 - 1.9mg Remeron 8/1/2015 -1.6mg Remeron - 03/1/2016 - 1.5mg Remeron - 1/2/2017 1.3mg - 5/7/2017 1.2mg - 5/13/2017 - syringe size change - 6/8/2017 - 1.1mg - 7/10/2017 - 1mg - 9/1/2017 - 0.9mg - 10/22/2017 - 0.8mg - 11/22/2017 - 0.7mg - 2/2/2018 - 0.6mg - 3/13/2018 - new compound pharmacy - 5/20/2018 - 0.5mg - 8/31/2018 - 0.4mg - 11/16/2018 - 0.3mg - 12/24/2018 - 0.2mg - 4/1/2019 - 0.1mg - 5/1/2019 - .05mg - 0mg achieved 2019-06-15. 🤞

Hello Dave, nice to meet you and thank you for replying.  I fixed my dates, sorry.  I was just thinking "it is May now, so that's where I am now," when really I started end of April.  So yes, there's been enough time for the w/d horror to hit.  I guess I was hoping that if I stuck to the 10% I might get off easier.  I tried twice before to get off Mirt and failed (following dr methods back then).  I will admit that this is slightly better than those times.  I am functioning despite the headache, brain fog and lack of sleep.  You think I might need to be more conservative than 10%?  Or maybe I started too soon after the Lexapro?  Both good things to consider.  Right now I have to decide if I ride it out or up the dose, which may or may not help.  I need to succeed this time, my brain and my kids are depending on me.

As for the pelvic pain, it varies between the spot where my kidney stone was stuck, on the left, and more in the bladder area/central.  Sometimes it is achey and sometimes sharp and spasmy.  

Thanks again for writing, sorry I am having trouble thinking clearly and typing.  Bit miserable right now.

• Moderator Emeritus

Momof5, hey.

thanks for stopping over on my thread and taking the time to read about my journey. it means a lot, i appreciate it.

did you see the second post i made on your thread, just before your response to my first? i thought it was interesting that we both used the terms "achey" and "sharp" in intervals. there has never been underlying pathology in my case. but i am all of about 99.9% certain it is attributed to withdrawal, due to the timing. it is a terrible feeling. and of course i always imagined i had cancer or something real horrible happening... sigh... i know better. :)

if you decided to updose, you'd want to do that soonish - and i probably wouldn't hop up the 10% you dropped, but rather try a 2.5% increase, 5% max. ahhh, the beauty of the liquid mirtazapine - much greater control.

is yours flavored? i had choices. i went with tutti fruiti. it is decidedly more tutti than fruiti.

yeah, i mean your jump off of lexapro was from 1.25mg, which was of course more than 10%. percentage wise, that was probably the biggest drop you had made in awhile - from 1.25mg to zip. fairly intense for your nervous system, methinks.

if you're in a bad way, a small updose of the mirt might not be a bad move - to see if you can stabilize there. had you been stable until you made that cut? i mean how had you been holding up w/ the mirtazapine steady, but the lex missing?

gotta run to a meeting.

hang in there, and thanks again for reading my thread.

dave

• Administrator

Mom, you may wish to taper mirtazapine at 5% rather than 10%.

Thank you Dave and Alto.  I truly appreciate your time and wisdom.  Whenever I am stable enough to make the next cut, I will have to carefully consider what it should be.  For a while my doctor wouldn't Rx the liquid form and I was going to DIY, but over time and watching me taper other things she said okay.  I am the first person she's ever done it for.  I am glad!  The only downside is the cost.  Dave, boo, they didn't let me pick my own flavor!  It tastes fruity though, so probably the same as yours.  And to answer your other question, I felt stable and ready to start the Mirt taper when I did, made sure of it.  A month before I knew I couldn't do it.  Maybe now was too soon, who knows.  I will just have to be cautious moving forward.  Thankfully, I did sleep last night.  I hope it will continue.

I hope you are both having a good morning (or whatever time it may be when you read this).

E

• Administrator

Yes, thank you. Good to hear your doctor is finally helping.

Well, I got blasted with a bad GI bug Saturday night, right when I was supposed to take my meds. Bad news!  I did manage to get the dose down about 4 hours late. I think I am turning the corner with the bug now, hoping my kids are spared.  Whenever something happens with my health, I find myself struggling with the thought that it is from the medications.  Even something as "clear" as a GI but caused me doubt.  I automatically start going around in my head about when was my last dose reduction, if this is from the meds does that mean it could last "forever," etc.  Does anyone else struggle with this?  My anxiety tends to center around health issues anyway, something I am working on.  

• Moderator Emeritus
hey mom,

yes, same here. especially as i have progressed through withdrawal and symptoms have become less acute - less concrete. whenever i get the slightest little twinge or ache - it sets me wondering. not so bad as it once did, but even now i start to wonder during allergy season and cold and flu season - is this withdrawal, or does this fall outside those parameters? and of course this is a perfect example of why we need to hold when we feel some sensations - not to have the knee-jerk reaction to slam our doses up or down. early in withdrawal, i was so erratic in my adjustments. i'd make a cut, hold for a week or so, get some stomach cramping or some muscle aches or dizziness (and the corresponding anxiety over these things) and then i would up-dose thinking it was withdrawal. later, i'd come down with a cold or a full-on stomach-bug and subsequently realize i'd messed with my dose for no reason. crap! i destabilized myself a lot like that in the early days.

i think it is so "normal," especially for those of us us who have some health concerns anyway - because our triggers are literally primed and ready to be set-off by body sensations and symptoms. the hell-fire of the withdrawal experience further heightens our awareness of all the hiccups of our physiological and psychological systems.

our bodies know we are ill way before we do. you know how you feel some slight unease before a cold actually slams with full-on symptoms? the nervous system is already getting wound up. it's hard not to react to this, and it is hard not to worry that it is the withdrawal.

it is why a commitment to holding is very essential - the bedrock of our path out of all of this. i'm glad you are seeing some relief.

sorry for your GI distress. i hope you continue to rally!

hang in there,

dave

Hi Mom of 5,

Welcome back! It has been awhile. I am glad to hear that you have tapered off Lexapro. Mitrazapine can be a bit tricky, but it can be done.

I am tappering off mirtz too. I found an easier way to make a liquid.

My doctor prescribed, Avanza Soltab Orally Disolvable tablet 15mg. Not sure if it is available in the USA, here in Australia it is.

I disolve 15mg tablet in 15 mls of water. Stir well, and pour the amount I need in another medicine cup.

I am currently on 6mgs, so I would pour 6 mls into the medicine cup. It is really easy. 15mg=15mls of water.

You can also do it this way as my doctor worked out a weaning schedule for me:

Dissolve 15mg Avanza Soltab, into 100mls of water,

4 mgs= 27mls of liquid

3 mgs= 20mls

2 mgs= 13ml

1 mg= 6ml

My doctor did it this way to make it easier, as you get to a lower dose.

You can also make your own liquid using normal Mirtazapine tablet and dissolving it in water.

I hope I have not confused you. Here in Australia Avanza Soltab is cheap, $12.00, compared to having Mirtazapine compounded.

Hang in there, it will get better. I don't have sleeping issues, but I have experienced weird withdrawal symptoms.

Cold chills, disturbing dreams, anxiety, andrenneline surges, muscle stifness and pain in the neck and shoulders, agitation, racing thoughts, mood swings, arrhythmia, brain fog.

Some symptoms have improved. I don't get disturbing dreams as much, rarely. Racing thoughts are heaps better. Anxiety is better.

I hope that my post has given you some hope. It takes a while to get better. Keep at it and you will get better. Do what feels right for you. You will see improvement overtime. You might have noticed a pattern to withdrawal /recovery,

as mentioned by Ten0275.

I have noticed a pattern my self and you know by the 6th week you will see improvements.

Some cuts are worse than others, but the 1mg drops seems to be ok for me so far. I hope I don't jinx, my self. :)

Stay strong, and keep going.

Best wishes, Hopefull.

DRUG HISTORY:

November 2013- Zoloft, ( Bad reaction).

January 2014 - March 2014 Seroquel.( Quit Cold Turkey).

January2014- Mirtazapine, I was taking 15mg at one stage, reduced to 7.5mg, Pgad reactions to Mirtazapine. Doctor kept increasing it to 37.5mg, until July 2014. No improvement, experiencing panic attacks, on 37.5 mg. I had enough by October 2014. Began tapering.

October 2014- Started tapering Mirtazapine from 37.5mg.

September 2015- Down to 4mg of Mirtazapine. Crashed.

September 16th- Up dosed to 5mg. Held this dose for almost 5 months. Stabilised.

February 2016- Began tapering again. From 5mg to 4.5mg of Mirtazapine. (Rocking the boat, again)! Lol. :(

(oh, my other big issue is pelvic pain at this point - I suffered all of December with a kidney stone - it finally passed but I have had pain ever since.  Is it nerves? Muscles?  Bladder?  Interstitial Cystitis?  Not sure.  I've done pelvic PT and still hurting.  The stone was made of Calcium Oxalate.  That's when I realized that Lexapro is Escitalopram OXALATE.  Hmmmmm, no dr will ever admit a connection, but the timing of the stone at the end of my Lex taper is so "coincidental."  If anyone has experience with bladder problems, I'd love to hear that too.)

Hi Momof5,

I'm also a mirt survivor, so just stopping in...

I haven't had pelvic pain, but definitely experienced bladder issues during the taper when I first jumped off. For me, the bladder issues turned out to be mostly a histamine issue. Once I got that in better balance, the many nightly and daily trips to the bathroom more or less stopped.

I was reading a bit about guided imagery for pelvic pain and found this study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18199015

I've used a lot of imagery over the past years for a number of issues and have found it helpful. This site is the one I've used and I see they have 1 for pelvic pain in women: http://www.healthjourneys.com/Store/Products/Guided-Imagery-for-Women-with-Pelvic-Pain-Interstitial-Cystitis-or-Vulvodynia/527

Also, I was on the low histamine chef site the other day and came across her story about low oxalate diet: http://thelowhistaminechef.com/low-oxalate-low-histamine-diet-the-missing-link/

These things may not be right for you..but just thought I would toss them out there. This whole process is so complex and seems to need to be addressed in multiple ways, differently for each person.

It is possible to get off mirt...though it does present its own challenges. Best of luck to you.

Remeron for depression. Started at 7.5 mg. in 2005. Gradual increases over 8 years, up to 45 mg. in 2012.Began tapering in June 2013. Went from 45 to 30 mg in the first 3-4 months. Held for a couple of months.Started tapering by 3.75 mg every month or 2, with some longer holding periods. Eventually went down to 3.75 mg. about April 2014. Stopped taking Remeron August 2014. Developed issues with histamine a week after stopping--symptoms reduced through diet and a few supplements. Currently having issues with a few foods. Most of the histamine intolerance has resolved or is at least, in remission.

Current Medications:

Current Supplements: Cannabis (CBD and THC), Vitamin C, D, Quercetin, CoQ10, Tart Cherry, Probiotic, Phytoplankton oil, magnesium, Methyl B. What has helped me most: spending time in nature, qi gong, exercise, healthy diet, meditation, IV vitamins, homeopathy, massage, acupuncture, chiropractic, music, and cuddling my cats..

My introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8459-mirtazapine-withdrawal-freespirit/#entry144282

Please note: I am not a therapist or medical practitioner. Any suggestions offered come solely from my personal experience in recovering from childhood trauma, therapy, and AD use. Please seek appropriate care for yourself.

“After a cruel childhood, one must reinvent oneself. Then re-imagine the world.”
Mary Oliver

• 3 weeks later...

Hello!  Thanks so much for the replies.

Hopefull, good to see you again!  I like your method with the Soltabs.  I am seriously considering switching to that, partly for cost but also because then I would know the medicine is fresh every night.  I feel like my compounded liquid runs out of steam toward the end of the month.  The pharmacy said it is good for 30 days, but toward the end of 3 weeks I start feeling increased symptoms even though I haven't changed anything.  It has happened twice now. I'm glad to hear your symptoms have improved!  How wonderful!  

Dave, thanks for all your words of wisdom.  You are very right about our triggers being primed.  I feel like every twinge in my body threatens to set my mind off.  It is hard.  It sounds like you have weathered this particular storm and I take strength from your strength right now.  Do you happen to notice if your compounded liquid seems to be weaker toward the end of its life?  I see in your signature that you were last at 1.9mg, wow!  Below 2!  I will have to stop over at your thread to see how things are going.  See you there :).

Freespirit, thanks so much for stopping by.  I was just reading your thread yesterday.  I will definitely check out your links.  I do know about low oxalate diet, but not so much low histamine diet.  I have found value in imagery and self-hypnosis, so I am happy to have more resources like that.  It looks like you jumped from 3.75mg?  How was that?  I can't imagine at this point!  I am so glad you got off though, and are coming up on a year!

As for me, I was going pretty well, feeling like I had stabilized from my reduction, then a few days ago I got hit with a new wave of symptoms that are still here.  Again, I am not sure if the med is running out of steam or if this is just par for the course.  I feel best at night (common, I know).  Shortly after I take the mirt I feel a headache and sort of yucky feeling, which greets me when I wake up as well.  Kind of dizzy and out of it.  I'm not sure if this is from the drug or w/d.  I also don't know when to make my next reduction.  Do you wait until you feel good, or is it possible that I'm never going to feel "good" while taking this?

Thanks for all the support!

-E

Just can't stop crying...my wonderful kids are playing in the other room and I am sitting here crying.  They need their Mommy and I am so sad.

• Moderator Emeritus

E, hey.

are you experiencing some neuro-emotions today w/ the crying? i am so completely sorry you are hurting. it will pass, as you have experienced already on your journey. it always does, but for some reason it likes to really dig in before it lifts.

to answer your question about the compound and its dimished strength as it ages - YES - the expiration date on my bottle says 2 months from the day it is compounded. and without question, as i near that 2 month mark, the strength of the liquid mirt weakens. so i adhere to the date cycle as strictly as possible. and as soon as i get my new bottle, i always notice the difference. so while eating ramen noodles or ring dings that are 4 months past shelf date might be passable, it is simply not the case with the liquid mirt.  :)  i find myself disposing of a lot of unused mirt, but that is the way it goes.

are you near the end of your bottle? if so, it might explain the emotionality. also, careful when you shake the mirt. if you really have at it, it creates a lot of air bubbles and that diminishes the amount of drug you are taking in.

i have to update my own thread in some soonish time. things have been absolutely intense between some travel and work i have been doing, i've had little time for anything else. except ninja studies. :ph34r: just kidding. i like to say that because i think it is obscure that there is a ninja emoticon available for affixing.

hang in there.

dave

Sorry to hear you were having a rough time yesterday e. I find the emotional part so much more difficult than the physical stuff.

The histamine connection has been an important piece of healing for me..not the whole story, but a big part of it. It's still an emerging thing in western medicine, but there are good people like Yasmina (low histamine chef) who are talking from their own experience..as well as research they've done.

I did fine emotionally jumping off where I did. It was the physical side that was difficult...mostly related to histamine. Allergies became severe, with hives, nasal stuff, and a lot of digestive upset. It took some fine-tuning once I found out about histamine..along with working with the naturopath a lot of qi gong. But after a few months, the physical symptoms settled quite a bit. I wish I'd known sooner about this aspect, as I think some of the wd symptoms might have been avoided.

I've worked with a lot of imagery from that site over the years. Have used ones for sleep, grief, depression, trauma, anger, wellness. They have helped me through some difficult times. Maybe there will be something on there that suits you too.

Remeron for depression. Started at 7.5 mg. in 2005. Gradual increases over 8 years, up to 45 mg. in 2012.Began tapering in June 2013. Went from 45 to 30 mg in the first 3-4 months. Held for a couple of months.Started tapering by 3.75 mg every month or 2, with some longer holding periods. Eventually went down to 3.75 mg. about April 2014. Stopped taking Remeron August 2014. Developed issues with histamine a week after stopping--symptoms reduced through diet and a few supplements. Currently having issues with a few foods. Most of the histamine intolerance has resolved or is at least, in remission.

Current Medications:

Current Supplements: Cannabis (CBD and THC), Vitamin C, D, Quercetin, CoQ10, Tart Cherry, Probiotic, Phytoplankton oil, magnesium, Methyl B. What has helped me most: spending time in nature, qi gong, exercise, healthy diet, meditation, IV vitamins, homeopathy, massage, acupuncture, chiropractic, music, and cuddling my cats..

My introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8459-mirtazapine-withdrawal-freespirit/#entry144282

Please note: I am not a therapist or medical practitioner. Any suggestions offered come solely from my personal experience in recovering from childhood trauma, therapy, and AD use. Please seek appropriate care for yourself.

“After a cruel childhood, one must reinvent oneself. Then re-imagine the world.”
Mary Oliver

• 1 month later...

Thank you, Dave and Freespirit for your encouragement.  This is a rough road, for sure.  Aside from the emotional stuff, I have so much physical pain that makes me feel like I am so old.  Serioulsy, my 75 year-old MIL and I have the same reaction to trying to use our bodies for living.  It is crazy!  I hope it will improve with time.  Even my normal routines of chiropractic and accupuncture cause pain flares at this point.  My poor CNS!

So, can I ask someone how you know when to be done with the taper?  No, I am not jumping now!  I just see that it could take me 2 years to get to the end and I wonder if this is best?  How low do you go?  Meanwhile, I suffer side effects of being on a low dosage of mirt.  I know enough to realize that these side-effects are better than c/t hell, but it doesn't make them fun either.  

Thanks for all the help!

E

Hi E--  How low do you go? That really is the big question we all have.  The simple answer is "as low as possible".  There are some carts around here somewhere that show the relationship between dose amount and the number of receptors that it effects and it is shocking how small a dose it takes to make a large difference.  The last 5 mg are the hardest to taper and need t be done slowly and a very small amount at a time because of this.  There has been a lot of discussion about this and many people decide that 0.5mg or lower is a good target.  I, personally, am aiming for 0.5mg but am leaving the decision open to see how things are at that time.  It is very disheartening and frustrating to think about how long it will take to decrease that last little bit, but having come this far it is better not to risk the alternatives of going too fast.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

• 2 months later...

Hey E,

How are you doing?

Please let us know.

Thank you,

Tgirl

April 2014 remeron 45mg.

June 2014 abilify 2.5 remeron wasn't working so abilify was then added

September 2014 woke up with anxiety x 100!!!!

Pdoc then took me from 45 to 7.5 within a month and took abilify from 2.5 to 0

Currently

Remeron 7.5

Vitamin d 5,000 iu taking for about 3 years

October 2014 added fish oil/omega 3 1000 mg per day

Levothyroxitine 100 10 years or so

Dec 2014 started tapering 10% every 10 days-no problems.

August 2015 down to 0.1 mg

Woke up with severe anxiety-sleep issues-racing thoughts-depression. 9/9/15 up dose 1 mg.