Jens: Luvox withdrawl and transitioning to wellbutrin

Jens

I am currently 1 week into luvox withdrawl.....feeling desperate. At the same time I went off of luvox, I started wellbutrin. Can wellbutrin help or aggrevate withdrawl? I'm also on buspar. Feel like maybe I should not be starting wellbutrin. My dr doesn't seem very aware of withdrawl symptoms. I'm wondering if I should stop all medicine??? I'm also taking ambien. Are these bad combinations?

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Jens,

Thank you for posting, I moved your topic here, you can use this as your ongoing journal thread where other members can offer suggestions and you can keep up with your progress/recovery.

How long were you taking Luvox for and what dose were you on?  It sounds like your doctor doesn't know what they are doing, Luvox needs to be tapered from or you will get withdrawal symptoms, how are you feeling at the moment?  When was the last time you took it?

Please see our topic about how to safely come off Luvox here:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/5095-tips-for-tapering-off-luvox-fluvoxamine/?hl=luvox

Wellbutrin will not protect you from getting withdrawal symptoms from Luvox because its a different kind of drug.  Wellbutrin is more activating and can increase anxiety.

Why are you taking all these medications and why did your doctor change you from Luvox to Wellbutrin?

If you can provide a few more details about your situation, that would be helpful.

Petu.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Administrator

Welcome, Jens.

It's very, very common for doctors not to recognize withdrawal syndrome and then throw a handful of prescriptions at it.

The best way to deal with withdrawal syndrome is to reinstate a low dose of the drug -- the sooner, the better -- stabilize, and taper from there. How much Luvox were you taking? How long?

How often and how long have you been taking Ambien? That is a drug that also cause physical dependency.

Side effects of Wellbutrin include nervousness and sleeplessness. Taking Ambien to compensate makes no sense at all.

About drug interactions:

http://www.drugs.com/interactions-check.php?drug_list=2333-1544,441-206,440-203

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I was taking 300 mg of luvox for OCD/depression for around 1 year. I've been off themed for 10 days now. She tapered by having me cut down to 150mg for 2weeks and then stop the med and go on wellbutrin. I switched meds due to the horrible side effects.... I was a zombie. I was also experiencing depression so just wanted something for depression without all the side effects. I had been taking buspar along with luvox to counter the jaw clenching side effect. I have taken ambien on/off for years. At the time of quitting meds was just taking periodically and now am taking daily to "knock myself out" at nights I lay there stressing and crying.

Having all the physical withdrawl symptoms (brain zaps, dizzy, flu like, etc) and major depression and increased anxiety. I am not able to function normally.... Cry hysterical for hours each day. I can't spend much time alone of I lose it....hubby has even had to take off some work to stay home with me. Symptoms have improved some over past 10 days, but not sure how long I can take this. I've called the psych dr twice and she insists I can't be having withdrawl and wants to increase the wellbutrin to combat my "depression".

I didn't ask to go back on because I read that if you've been off for a week or more you should just jeep going. I don't want to backtrack since I've made it 10 days already. And I'm very hesitant to put that evil drug back in my body. I feel like after this experience I'd rather just be drug free. If I knew it was a 2 week process and then I'd be fine I could do it, but not knowing how long this will last is horrible. Am I through the worst? Will this take more days, weeks or months. I can't take much more....feel liking I'm dying. This is HELL. Oh, I'm also in the process of trying to concieve too, so I doubt this is helping that at all.

Any help or suggestions you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

• Administrator

"The jaw clenching side effect" means you were taking too much Luvox.

You are having classic severe withdrawal symptoms. These can last months or years.

Whatever you read about not reinstating was wrong. See http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/3079-about-reinstating-and-stabilizing-to-stop-withdrawal-symptoms/

If I were you, I'd get a prescription for 25mg Luvox tablets (regular, not extended-release) and cut in quarters, take one quarter in the morning and one in the evening for a total of 12.5mg per day. I would stop taking Wellbutrin, it makes withdrawal syndrome worse.

Any doctor can prescribe the tablets.

Even that small amount is often enough to reduce withdrawal symptoms. Then, you'd stabilize for a month or so and taper off.

For easy titration, you might get a liquid from a compounded pharmacy or make a liquid yourself, read the link Petu posted for you.

You'll have to address Ambien tapering later.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I've been on Wellbutrin XL 150 for 2 weeks and my dr and I have decided to take me off as it seems to be causing anxiety and insomnia. Do I need to taper down if I've only been on this low dose for 2 weeks? I don't want to experience withdrawl symptoms as I'm 2 weeks off of Luvox and that withdrawl has been horrible. My dr said to just stop but she also didn't wean me slow enough off of Luvox so I'm a little Leary of her tapering advice. Can someone help me? Thanks.

• Administrator

Jens, I moved your post here. The Wellbutrin tapering topic is for general information about tapering Wellbutrin.

Since you've been on it only a short time, if I were you I might reduce by a quarter of a tablet every few days.

Are you going to reinstate Luvox?